Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

Xbox One external storage support teased in new image..

Microsoft has often teased the possibility of external hard drive support coming to the Xbox One in a future system update, but this new picture posted to Reddit is the strongest indication yet that the feature will be arriving soon.
    Reddit user XboxOneDev, a confirmed Xbox One developer, posted the image of an Xbox One UI with external hard drive support along with the message "adding more hype on the list of things to come".

Microsoft has not formally announced when the functionality will be included, but has previously said it's working on incorporating it in a future update. The Xbox One has seen regular system updates over the past few months, and there is no indication from Microsoft that it'll be slowing down anytime soon.
    29% used, 585gb free...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbo.../1100-6419679/

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Will this support be for all external harddrives or will MS be making a proprietary one?

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Will this support be for all external harddrives or will MS be making a proprietary one?
    Are you really asking this question?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Yes I am. Either answer the question or ignore it.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-17-2014 at 06:05.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    A very valid question considering how the 360 had a proprietary hdd. What's stopping then from doing the same again?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

6. Likes Julz, mistercrow likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    A very valid question considering how the 360 had a proprietary hdd. What's stopping then from doing the same again? Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Yep exactly why I asked. MS has a past history of only allowing proprietary hdds and I havent heard MS say anything either way.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-16-2014 at 21:57.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    You guys know the difference between Internal and External, right?

Wouldn't need it so bad if they allowed changing of the internal drive int he first place.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    You guys know the difference between Internal and External, right? Wouldn't need it so bad if they allowed changing of the internal drive int he first place.
    Whats that got to do with anything? Whats to stop MS from coming out with a proprietary external hdd? Is that so outside the realm of possibility?

Forum Overseer
    seems like MS is doing a good job with the hype lately. E3 sounds like it's going to be juicy.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    seems like MS is doing a good job with the hype lately. E3 sounds like it's going to be juicy.
    Yeah they made mistakes in the beginning but theyre moving the ship in the right direction now. I think their E3 show is going to be awesome.

Forum Overseer
    imo had they gone the low cost plan this generation, things would've been different. i was hoping Kinect to be a big success and the console to be cheaper than PS4. somewhere around $350. i was expecting PS4 to be around $450-500.

that would've put Sony in a similar position as last generation's.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    imo had they gone the low cost plan this generation, things would've been different. i was hoping Kinect to be a big success and the console to be cheaper than PS4. somewhere around $350. i was expecting PS4 to be around $450-500. that would've put Sony in a similar position as last generation's.
    Yeah I agree. The 500 dollar price tag put alot of people off. Had they gone 399 with Kinect optional they would have had good momentum coming into this gen. I wouldve thought after watching what happened to PS3 in its early days that MS would make sure to avoid launching an expensive console. So yeah that surprised me too.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Whats that got to do with anything? Whats to stop MS from coming out with a proprietary external hdd? Is that so outside the realm of possibility?
    Well, it would have to be USB, wouldn't it? I don't think X1 has any kind of proprietary port that it would use. I mean, if they really wanted to be jerks about it, I guess they could do something to make sure it is an "official" hard drive, but I seriously doubt it. More than likely any external USB HD will work.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Well, it would have to be USB, wouldn't it? I don't think X1 has any kind of proprietary port that it would use. I mean, if they really wanted to be jerks about it, I guess they could do something to make sure it is an "official" hard drive, but I seriously doubt it. More than likely any external USB HD will work.
    Ok gotcha. Forgot about not having a proprietary port. Makes sense then that it would support any external hdd. Well, another good move by MS then.

Friendship is Carrots
    Would be super scummy if it was anything proprietary, especially when last-gen MS allowed anyone to use any USB drive for external storage. That was really useful.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Sage
    Yes I am. Either answer the question or ignore it. Speaking of ignore back on my ignore list you go. Your comments are always pissy whenever the Xbox comes under any type of scrutiny. lol
    Ask a better question and you will receive a proper answer.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    A very valid question considering how the 360 had a proprietary hdd. What's stopping then from doing the same again?

The market/consumers.

You really think MS would shoot themselves in the foot with support for a proprietary external HDD only?

Really?

The steps they took with the 360 regarding external flashdrive support (universal) should give you enough of a hint.

Proprietary accessories are essentially a thing of the past.

Forum Sage
    Ask a better question and you will receive a proper answer.

The market/consumers.

You really think MS would shoot themselves in the foot with support for a proprietary external HDD only?

Really?

The steps they took with the 360 regarding external flashdrive support (universal) should give you enough of a hint.

Proprietary accessories are essentially a thing of the past.
    Lets rewind a little bit, you really think MS would shoot themselves in the foot with a online DRM requirement every 24 hours? Oh wait...
    Last edited by sainraja; 05-17-2014 at 05:27.

19. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Lets rewind a little bit, you really think MS would shoot themselves in the foot with a online DRM requirement every 24 hours?
    No.....
    Last edited by Yungstar 2006; 05-17-2014 at 08:54.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Ask a better question and you will receive a proper answer. The market/consumers. You really think MS would shoot themselves in the foot with support for a proprietary external HDD only? Really? The steps they took with the 360 regarding external flashdrive support (universal) should give you enough of a hint. Proprietary accessories are essentially a thing of the past.
    A better question seriously? lol You say that but then you ask me would shoot themselves in the foot with support for a proprietary hdd? Well lets see here, MS shot themselves in the foot launching a 500 dollar console because of a mandatory camera that nobody wants and passing the cost of it onto the consumer.Going with weaker graphics hardware in order to accomodate their Kinect and multimedia vision. DRM with 24hr check ins (they wisely backed down from that before launch). After seeing MS do all of that its actually still unthinkable to you that they would try to sell us a proprietary hdd? Really? All things considered I'd have to ask you if yours is a serious question. lol And of course MS has now had to abandon their entire vision to the point that the X1 has now become nothing more than a PS4 with weaker hardware. The end result of design choices made in pursuit of the casual market. So do I think MS would shoot themselves in the foot you ask? Absolutely.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-17-2014 at 08:27.

Forum Elder
    A better question seriously? lol You say that but then you ask me would shoot themselves in the foot with support for a proprietary hdd? Well lets see here, MS shot themselves in the foot launching a 500 dollar console because of a mandatory camera that nobody wants and passing the cost of it onto the consumer.
    as far as i'm aware, its outselling the 360 in the same time period and at a higher price. unless of course... you know different?

Going with weaker graphics hardware in order to accomodate their Kinect and multimedia vision.
    they set out and achieved the goal of bettering the 360 hardware. the weaker hardware is only in comparison to another console and of course, a gaming PC. so its somewhat of a moot point to compare it with anything other than the 360 that its replaced.

DRM with 24hr check ins (they wisely backed down from that before launch).
    they appear to have listened to people and responded and suddenly you think they will ignore them and introduce a propriety HDD?

After seeing MS do all of that its actually still unthinkable to you that they would try to sell us a proprietary hdd? Really?
    well, if you take into account how they have responded to people since the reveal, i'd suggest they are not likely to now stop... listening.

of course MS has now had to abandon their entire vision to the point that the X1 has now become nothing more than a PS4 with weaker hardware.
    while i'd never say Xbox is the more powerful (for obvious reasons) it will get the biggest selling exclusives of the last gen to help it along the way.

The end result of design choices made in pursuit of the casual market. So do I think MS would shoot themselves in the foot you ask? Absolutely.
    the end result was based on what those at the top of the Xbox food chain wanted and since they have gone/going. it has been a weekly/monthly announcement of improvements to the console and eco system it runs in.

it appears that MS are turning this ship around faster than anyone would have thought possible last E3.
    with the constant updates to the UI, a LIVE setup to equal anyone, free games each month, apps removed from behind the pay wall, cheaper box etc etc. i'm surprised there is anyone still trying to find fault with an MS that is doing everything to impress even the hardest detractors.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Your first point, the 360 had supply issues. If they had abundant units like the xb1, I believe the 360 would have done much better than the early numbers it posted

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    as far as i'm aware, its outselling the 360 in the same time period and at a higher price. unless of course... you know different?
    Overall, yeah, but in the US the X1 has fallen behind the 360 the last two months. Which is why X1 desperately needed the price drop and Kinect-less SKU.

they set out and achieved the goal of bettering the 360 hardware. the weaker hardware is only in comparison to another console and of course, a gaming PC. so its somewhat of a moot point to compare it with anything other than the 360 that its replaced.
    Hardware should be compared to its competition, not the previous generation. I mean....of course it is better than the 360.

they appear to have listened to people and responded and suddenly you think they will ignore them and introduce a propriety HDD?
    He asked a question. You are overreacting.

the end result was based on what those at the top of the Xbox food chain wanted and since they have gone/going. it has been a weekly/monthly announcement of improvements to the console and eco system it runs in.

it appears that MS are turning this ship around faster than anyone would have thought possible last E3.
    with the constant updates to the UI, a LIVE setup to equal anyone, free games each month, apps removed from behind the pay wall, cheaper box etc etc. i'm surprised there is anyone still trying to find fault with an MS that is doing everything to impress even the hardest detractors.
    And many of us "detractors" have given them kudos for doing what we have been screaming for since the beginning. Frankly, I'm glad MS was listening to the right people. If they had listened to the X1 defenders all this time instead then X1 would still be lacking almost everything you listed.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

25. Likes mistercrow, Nerevar likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Is this the ask a silly question get a silly answer thread?

Forum Elder
    Pardon me, do you have any Grey poupon?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    There was nothing silly about my question. And Christopher gave me a good answer.He gave yung a good answer too so I wont bother with a rebuttal that would basically be a repeat of what he said. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-17-2014 at 17:38.

Thread Information