Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    -Live streaming on the front page
    -The Vegeta achievement icon
    Fair enough. Perhaps I should have rephrased my question. What was done in order to promote the community, keep members, and attract new members? Can you honestly say these 2 things did just that? From the numbers I gathered this is not the case at all.

8 years and counting!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Can anyone detail for me what has changed/improved since Alex became the CM until his departure?
    The formation of an amazing team and the ability for us to completely rebuild PSU from the ground up using more stable software and more modern tech and the experience to migrate the forum without having to spend money we don't have on a tech guy.

I admit that I wasn't able to action the concepts I put forth and I have explained why. If my health isn't a good enough reason then I'm sorry but that's all I have for you and you'll just have to accept it. I have admitted that I'm not able to do the role justice at this point in life and have done what I said I would do under those circumstances.

What qualifications does Tristam have? Well no more than I had but he is doing a bachelor in business and he also majors in economics and management (IIRC) so he has more ammo than I do.

You can choose to wallow in the past if it makes you feel better, you can highlight how I was unable to action my ideas and cast as much doubt as you want. Everyone who is working behind the scenes on the site has more than enough excitement, motivation and enthusiasm to cover those who want to stay jaded.

YouTube Editor
    I am wishing you best of luck for the future Alex and I am not knocking health issues or anything semi related. I am stating the obvious here, and that being the CM position is not being viewed correctly by those in charge. The current mindset is that the role is nothing more than another notch on the promotional ladder, when in fact it should be its own entity. Since day one you were over your head in the role, you lacked experience, and proper knowledge in this area to become an effective CM.

I have been screaming for what seems like ages now that PSU needs someone not only educated in this area, but with the proper experience/credentials in his/her arsenal. Having devoted and motivated people doesn't help a damn thing unless they know how to harness and utilize those emotions into actions. For to long now the community has crumbled, and it will continue to crumble until the right change is implemented, by promoting a proper CM.

8 years and counting!

4. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The formation of an amazing team and the ability for us to completely rebuild PSU from the ground up using more stable software and more modern tech and the experience to migrate the forum without having to spend money we don't have on a tech guy.

I admit that I wasn't able to action the concepts I put forth and I have explained why. If my health isn't a good enough reason then I'm sorry but that's all I have for you and you'll just have to accept it. I have admitted that I'm not able to do the role justice at this point in life and have done what I said I would do under those circumstances.

What qualifications does Tristam have? Well no more than I had but he is doing a bachelor in business and he also majors in economics and management (IIRC) so he has more ammo than I do.

You can choose to wallow in the past if it makes you feel better, you can highlight how I was unable to action my ideas and cast as much doubt as you want. Everyone who is working behind the scenes on the site has more than enough excitement, motivation and enthusiasm to cover those who want to stay jaded.
    Why do you always put people down who criticize you? You guys ask for feedback and then get ticked off when you get it.

And I'm sorry, but from our point of view, you didn't actually change much. It's just been a lot of planning and behind-the-scenes work so far. And more importantly, the activity is at a record low. Saying we should "just accept it" and not "wallow in the past"? C'mon now.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I am wishing you best of luck for the future Alex and I am not knocking health issues or anything semi related. I am stating the obvious here, and that being the CM position is not being viewed correctly by those in charge. The current mindset is that the role is nothing more than another notch on the promotional ladder, when in fact it should be its own entity. Since day one you were over your head in the role, you lacked experience, and proper knowledge in this area to become an effective CM.

I have been screaming for what seems like ages now that PSU needs someone not only educated in this area, but with the proper experience/credentials in his/her arsenal. Having devoted and motivated people doesn't help a damn thing unless they know how to harness and utilize those emotions into actions. For to long now the community has crumbled, and it will continue to crumble until the right change is implemented, by promoting a proper CM.
    If you are unhappy with the recent changes by all means feel free to e-mail Steven about it.

Friendship is Carrots
    Ghost's legacy was building most of the current staff team and laying the ground work for the site's coming redesign change in software and aesthetics, which will hopefully help draw people back to a more united, content and discussion oriented forum. There have been numerous opportunities made impossible or too difficult to feasibly accomplish because of VBulletin.

and it will continue to crumble until the right change is implemented, by promoting a proper CM.
    Like who?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Why do you always put people down who criticize you? You guys ask for feedback and then get ticked off when you get it.

And I'm sorry, but from our point of view, you didn't actually change much. It's just been a lot of planning and behind-the-scenes work so far. And more importantly, the activity is at a record low. Saying we should "just accept it" and not "wallow in the past"? C'mon now.
    Do I always put down people who critisise me? Find me some examples and I'll apologise for those instances. Also, no need to take my words out of contect...if Justin can#t accept that I am sick, that#s not my problem, nor is it if you want to keep going on about how inept I was. Take your concerns to Steven if you feel passionately about the current situation, it's a lot more productive.

YouTube Editor
    If you are unhappy with the recent changes by all means feel free to e-mail Steven about it.
    I have on several occasions, and of course as expected I NEVER get responses or even recognition that my messages have been read. Great showcase of character, and even more reason as to why I left here several months ago. Things are in a terrible state, and those who can make a difference simply do not have the necessary drive to do it, or they lack the skills necessary plain and simple. I have been back for an hour and already my stress levels are at an all time high from my last visit 2 months ago.

Look (to those who can make a difference), take what I am saying into consideration. Read back through my posts in this thread. The community deserves better and it is about damn time they got it, as without them there is no forum, the end.

I will leave you with one sentence from my previous post that I think should strike into the minds of everyone here:

"The current mindset is that the role of CM is nothing more than another notch on the promotional ladder, when in fact it should be its own entity."

With that said I am O-U-T.

8 years and counting!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Do I always put down people who critisise me? Find me some examples and I'll apologise for those instances. Also, no need to take my words out of contect...if Justin can#t accept that I am sick, that#s not my problem, nor is it if you want to keep going on about how inept I was. Take your concerns to Steven if you feel passionately about the current situation, it's a lot more productive.
    I was referring to the staff instead of just you specifically. This post comes to mind. Look at how Brandon just completely belittles Justin's criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Your continued ranting doesn't help you, the staff, or the community. Although I do agree there are a lot of changes to be made, not making suggestions out of spite is neither productive, nor helpful. I've been here longer than most and I have also seen the ups and downs, but everyone's lives are extremely busy at the moment ... and everyone is doing what they can with the time they have and without pay. I assure you when I get my new business off the ground I will be tossing dough in PSU's general direction. It is simply not a luxury I have at the moment.

Seriously though, complaining for the sake of complaining really does not serve anyone. I've told you before that my ears are always open. So feel free to shoot me a PM whenever you feel like it. I'm insanely busy right now and am guilty of not participating as much as I could, but we're all real human beings with real lives and real problems. There was a time when I was much younger when I first started moderating the forums a decade ago when I could dedicate ample amounts of time to the site, but I'm approaching 30 now and things have certainly changed ... forums [in general] have changed ... technology has changed ... many things have changed. We're all trying to figure out what the best solutions are and suggestions from veteran members certainly don't fall on deaf ears. But please, if you have suggestions, shoot me a PM and I can discuss them with Alex myself.

All this venom spitting isn't going to help the community grow or evolve. There are some great things in store for the site in the not-too-distant future ... but if you've lost all patience then I'm sorry. Maybe you can come back after the wheels have turned and the train is moving at full speed. There were a trillion underlying issues with the forums that had to be addressed ... things not visible at the surface. Kinks are being worked out and plans are being set in motion.

Heck, even Lethal is back on board, which I am extremely grateful for and I'm glad he is with us. Despite all our differences and the crazy things that have happened over the last year, we're able to swallow our pride and work together for a common goal. PSU is our home and we're not going to just watch it die because things don't seem altogether right now. Just give it time.

I think a lot of this pent up aggression is because people are dreaming of living in the past. The way things were. Things aren't the way they were and they never will be again. We have to learn to embrace the now and the changes that are coming. Media consumption has changed so much that it's a completely different beast. "Change or die" is a phrase that comes to mind ... and we're figuring out just how to do that.
    Again, the activity is at a record low and your team has been in place for a while now. If we see the fruits of your behind-the-scenes labor soon, then great. But until then, I'd say people have the right to be hard on you guys until that's done. Because nothing helps the community until it's actually implemented.

Friendship is Carrots
    Something a lot of the team needs to work on is actively trying to downplay the drama involved in a scenario and keep it more calm and professional as a discussion. They need to sit back, take criticism, and just go with it. It's about setting an example in posting just as much as it is about moderating.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Something a lot of the team needs to work on is actively trying to downplay the drama involved in a scenario and keep it more calm and professional as a discussion. They need to sit back, take criticism, and just go with it. It's about setting an example in posting just as much as it is about moderating.
    The community wants action. So if the implementations are still a ways off, I think it would help if you guys at least provided a more detailed roadmap on your plans and status updates as milestones are met. That's exactly what you'd see the community manager do for a game in development, for example. So hopefully now that Fiji will be more active than Ghost, we see stuff like that.

13. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    I think the issue is that there's few settled subjects on the planning board. There's the site redesign, but that's an ongoing process with no determinable date of completion. Varsh being part of the tech team will help pull that date sooner, but again it's still not known. Surely there will be a few more things done but they'll probably come later anyway as the redesign is top priority. I completely understand what you're saying, but there's not really a road map to make.

If you really want something solid then I'd suggest directly imploring a admin or Fiji about this. They know more than we mods do.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I completely understand what you're saying, but there's not really a road map to make.
    But see, that's the problem. If the staff is going to keep telling the community, "I know we haven't done much, but we've been planning some stuff for a while now", and yet there's not a real, set plan in place...that's not good. You either need to implement improvements or regularly explain how we're progressing towards that goal.

If you really want something solid then I'd suggest directly imploring a admin or Fiji about this. They know more than we mods do.
    I'm not faulting the mods. The responsibility falls on the Community Manager, so that's basically who I'm speaking to. And I'm assuming the Community Manager will read and participate in these kinds of threads.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I think the issue is that there's few settled subjects on the planning board. There's the site redesign, but that's an ongoing process with no determinable date of completion. Varsh being part of the tech team will help pull that date sooner, but again it's still not known. Surely there will be a few more things done but they'll probably come later anyway as the redesign is top priority. I completely understand what you're saying, but there's not really a road map to make.

I haven't made any announcements so this is not common knowledge, but the redesign is nearly complete. There are just a couple of more programming tasks that have to be worked out and that should be done within the next couple of weeks. There will be a series of testing efforts before we consider it completely "done". Implementation, however, will not take place until after E3. We could go live sooner, but I don't think it makes any sense to rush this. I hope to have a firm date announced after E3, but I expect this to take place in the month of June.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I haven't made any announcements so this is not common knowledge, but the redesign is nearly complete. There are just a couple of more programming tasks that have to be worked out and that should be done within the next couple of weeks. There will be a series of testing efforts before we consider it completely "done". Implementation, however, will not take place until after E3. We could go live sooner, but I don't think it makes any sense to rush this. I hope to have a firm date announced after E3, but I expect this to take place in the month of June.
    June - there's an answer. Bomb dropped by Chris.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Was Justin championing for Dave again?

TBH im not sure that the owners of PSU really give a crap about the forum side of things. Apart from the (apparently miniscule) ad revenues i believe they think the forum is not worth the bother.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    Was Justin championing for Dave again?

TBH im not sure that the owners of PSU really give a crap about the forum side of things. Apart from the (apparently miniscule) ad revenues i believe they think the forum is not worth the bother.
    Well, I'm just going to say that based on the discussions that I and Steven have had with the owners, they are very much behind implementing new forum software after the redesign. That will be the very next thing that Varsh and I will be jumping into.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

20. Likes The Black Wolf, -Shafty- likes this post
    overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    You guys are doing a wonderful job Chris, i have no qualms with what you are doing behind the scenes mate

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

22. Likes Christopher likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The community wants action. So if the implementations are still a ways off, I think it would help if you guys at least provided a more detailed roadmap on your plans and status updates as milestones are met. That's exactly what you'd see the community manager do for a game in development, for example. So hopefully now that Fiji will be more active than Ghost, we see stuff like that.
    I would give status updates but that's out of my hands unfortunately. All I can say is that from what we have done so far it has come a long long way. If we're told that we can start posting what we've done then I would love to, I think that the changes will be worth the wait though.

I know exactly what you're thinking though, you always say "it's coming along" yet you won't believe it until you see it so I won't try to convince you or others as in a way you are correct. It's just like Schroedinger's Cat for you, you can't see inside the box (or on our screens) to see if the cat (or site) is dead or alive (being worked on or not). Well the site is plenty alive and development is rapid so I guess that is all you'll have to go on for now.

Please keep in mind that this is being worked on in our spare time so development is not as rapid as it otherwise would be if we were employees. For instance, with myself, I'm setting aside almost all of my spare time to get this done. I'm already in crunch time at my real work and I'm working, at times, from 8am till 9pm or 10pm on some days just for that! I also have a secondary job that I work at on a Saturday and that's 7am till 2pm most of my week is taken up working.

I certainly know that I'm not the only one in this situation so please bear with us but the "action" is most certainly in progress and surprisingly quickly.

The differences between game development and web development though is that with game development it can be all shown to the public easily and without problems, web development is very different, showing anything to the public can actually cause problems due to its "live" nature. Status reports is possible but it is not down to us to give the thumbs up about that.

When the site is released though you will see some dramatic changes and all for the better. What Chris has done on the backend is nothing short of amazing, the input and advice from others has also been invaluable too.

The time we have our next meeting I'll ask about some form of status update thread so that the community can see how we're progressing.

24. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I intend to keep you guys in the loop,

however, we are in queue behind the main site which is why you mainly here "plans" from us, when it gets done, we can start improving the forums. I posted (on the other page ) that there is a newer layout that makes the site more navigable (no jokes, site cohesiveness should be massively improved, there are things in the current layout that i didn't even know were there).

There's also a bunch of smaller things to help the community, especially with communicating. PSU has lagged in this area, hopefully we can get this addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Everybody hide quick. Fiji is reading the thread right now!
    Im on to you crow!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

26. Likes Ixion , mistercrow likes this post

Thread Information