Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Complaining a game is 64bit only

What is your take on this?

I have seen a few threads on steam on this subject, basically they bought a game and didn't read the requirements then made a thread moaning how this game should be 32 bits etc.

64bit is not hard to get, if you do not have one it is a free upgrade for windows and Linux, not sure bout Mac but I gather it will also be free.
    You can legally download the windows 7 64bit iso from digital river and simply use your 32 bit CD key.

Yet here we are 2014 and people still complain this that the other should be 32 bits like we are Luddite.
    Last edited by keefy; 05-24-2014 at 04:26.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Upgrade and suck that ish up *****. You know the rules to pc side of things.

That's how I feel towards those crying.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Upgrade and suck that ish up *****. You know the rules to pc side of things. That's how I feel towards those crying.
    Yep thats PC gaming. Adapt or die.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    What is your take on this?

I have seen a few threads on steam on this subject, basically they bought a game and didn't read the requirements then made a thread moaning how this game should be 32 bits etc.

64bit is not hard to get, if you do not have one it is a free upgrade for windows and Linux, not sure bout Mac but I gather it will also be free.
    You can legally download the windows 7 64bit iso from digital river and simply use your 32 bit CD key.

Yet here we are 2014 and people still complain this that the other should be 32 bits like we are Luddite.
    Gaming on a PC with 32 bit windows is stupid. 4GB max addressable ram (total) so you will not be able to utilize all your system memory due to the GPU memory being included in that 4GB limit.

Even since windows 7 came out there has been no excuse not to run 64 bit. (at least on a gaming computer)

Finally You Are Free
    Anyone into PC gaming who's on 32bit still is an idiot or just very egocentric.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Anyone into PC gaming who's on 32bit still is an idiot or just very egocentric.
    Most recent dev stream for Warframe, they went into some statistics about what hardware/software people run. They were surprised about how many were still on 32bit and even running integrated graphics. The gaming population that know what is in their system and understand how well it should run is a much smaller % of the general gaming community than one might think.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Most games receive the information of the other person's PC via their OS. If you're running Windows 7 32b then the game of Warframe will pick up that the user is running a 32b system. The last 32b system was back in very early 2000's, not a single 32b PC could run any new game nowadays. Laptop manufacturers and custom build manufacturers were supplying 32b Windows with all of their PCs and giving them 3GB RAM as to keep with backwards compatibility with software... that was when it was Vista - I bet most of these numbers are from Vista owners or those that upgraded their OS and not realising that they should have switched to Windows 64b already.

Microsoft should have just thrown 32b completely out of the window... pun not intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    4GB max addressable ram (total) resources
    Fixed.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Most games receive the information of the other person's PC via their OS. If you're running Windows 7 32b then the game of Warframe will pick up that the user is running a 32b system. The last 32b system was back in very early 2000's, not a single 32b PC could run any new game nowadays. Laptop manufacturers and custom build manufacturers were supplying 32b Windows with all of their PCs and giving them 3GB RAM as to keep with backwards compatibility with software... that was when it was Vista - I bet most of these numbers are from Vista owners or those that upgraded their OS and not realising that they should have switched to Windows 64b already.

Microsoft should have just thrown 32b completely out of the window... pun not intended.

Fixed.
    ok...Think I get what your trying to say. For close to a decade now most consumer CPUs have had the 64bit extension allowing them to address more RAM, storage and what ever else it entails :P

That still doesn't negate the information out there that an amount of systems are still running 32bit windows (which ever version you want to talk about XP,Vista and 7), which as far as capabilities go, the systems then runs in a 32bit environment. Which is why there is still contention when a game is 64bit only. It is something that has to be dealt with and seems to be with this generation of games. The consoles are forcing the issue because they can use more than 4GB of ram pretty easy which means for PC games to match the quality, they have to go 64bit.

Super Elite
    I assume most PC players have a 64bit Processor.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    That still doesn't negate the information out there that an amount of systems are still running 32bit windows (which ever version you want to talk about XP,Vista and 7), which as far as capabilities go, the systems then runs in a 32bit environment. Which is why there is still contention when a game is 64bit only.
    That's the problem though. Everyone needs to move on to 64bit already. Transitional periods in technology are always a pain, but dragging it out for almost a decade is particularly unwise.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    It's Microsoft's fault here, they've been holding onto 32b for so long now just to keep backwards compatibility with software for businesses. The sad thing about all of this is that all of those businesses that used (and still use) Visual Basic 6 (yeah go figure) are still running either NT 2000 or XP Pro - so why are they still making 32b OS's? They've made the industry move along so slowly. If Linux/Unix was the mainstream OS then everyone would be running 64b as it would natively compile.

Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    I assume most PC players have a 64bit Processor.
    I assume ALL PC owners to actually be running 64b processors nowadays. The last AMD CPU to be 32b was the Athlon XP 3200+ back in 2002, then last 32b Intel CPU was the Pentium 4 Itanium 2 in 2002. These CPUs alone simply can't run even Vista decently due to the low cache and FPUs available to them. Warframe running on the best 32b CPU (in this case is the XP 3200+) you would get barely ~5 FPS I would imagine as the last GPU to even work on a 32b system uses an AGP! The AGP was dire compared to the PCI-e which started coming out in 2004. I rest my case, it's impossible for anyone to run Warframe on a 32b system with any playable framerate.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    50% of Steam users that took the Steam survey use windows 7 64bit, If you add up all the OS that are 64bits it will be close to 80%.
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
    Last edited by keefy; 05-24-2014 at 20:06.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Anyone running a 32bit rig would at least be running some sort of 64bit CPU around wether it's a AMD 64 Single core or (what I think) a X2 to a Dual Core Celeron minimum, problem is they still wouldn't be enough to play todays games because since then CPU's have got better instructions sets and lower in die size and faster comms with better RAM as the early days of AMD64/INTEL64 were DDR1 and then DDR2 came out with AMD X2 Intel Core 2 Duo lines.

During the AMD/Intel 64 first lines AGP was still the graphics port as PCI-E wasn't even out yet and when it did it came with DDR2 boards, DDR2 PCI-E 16x lanes was they next min set-up from then on and Dual Core was the norm and was selling in prebuilt PC's in shops around the world.

Most should know buy now that gaming is moving towards 64bit and they should keep an eye on PC requirements even when buying off steam because most game shops now ask before you buy "Are you sure your PC can play this game" because they will not refund you and if you take it back they class that as 2nd hand even if it's not been played at all.
    Last edited by Nakatomi Uk; 05-24-2014 at 23:35.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, WD 1TB Blue 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Windows 7 64bit reporting in :P 16GB RAM with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Thread Information