Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Super Elite
    Don't know why people feel that way. Put your mic into the controller or use the camera and say : Playstation..... The name of the game and then say start. Quickest way to find the game you are trying to play.... lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dondidit View Post
    Don't know why people feel that way. Put your mic into the controller or use the camera and say : Playstation..... The name of the game and then say start. Quickest way to find the game you are trying to play.... lol
    Pass... Dont use voice commands on the XB1, dont use them on my phone not gonna use em on my PS4 either.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by faaeng; 05-27-2014 at 18:07.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Veteran
    We really don't know what the OS is. What you are talking about is the Graphical User Interface (GUI). The GUI has a long history, going back to Steve Jobs ripping it off Xerox. Your complaint is how sparse the Playstation Dynamic Menu (PDM) is compared to the Cross Media Bar (XMB). XMB introduced dynamic icons, PDM is just going the next step to cascading dynamic icons. There are fundamental approaches to display file hierarchies, such as folders, tiles, pull-downs, overlaid panels, etc. The PDM isn't all that different from the XMB. Instead of the general settings being a column, now they are a row. For the TV&Video main icon, the cascading icons works well with the apps flowing downward. There is the potential this one main icon may have over 130 apps under it by this fall. The delay has been in making a Games main icon.

It is taking a bit long to get the same functionality of a PS3. The firmware updates have been kind of stingy. It seems like E3 or not long after, there should be a large point update and maybe more features will be added than just security and optimization.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    the OS isn't garbage, you mean you don't like the layout or the lack of organization. the OS is super fast and offers a good amount of features.
    A decent OS offers more than just speed and features - the user interface is among the most important parts. The PS4's OS is just a random mixture of icons.

EDIT: As per user above, let's refer to the GUI instead.
    Last edited by Wrath; 05-28-2014 at 23:05.

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    yeah, i mean the OS is at fault but it's not the OS itself. to say that it's the OS, would imply that this OS has a limitation that can't be overcome. what you speak of can easily be updated and likely will be at some point.

e.g. to say that PS4's OS is garbage because it doesn't have snap (and it can't ever have this) makes more sense. at the same time, it's fair to say that Win 8 (on X1) is garbage because it's bloated and that may never be fixed. those things would make the OS itself at fault completely.
    Last edited by Omar; 05-29-2014 at 00:55.

Super Moderator

PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    It is called the User Interface.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    A decent OS offers more than just speed and features - the user interface is among the most important parts. The PS4's OS is just a random mixture of icons.

EDIT: As per user above, let's refer to the GUI instead.
    You're taking issue with the main screen or do you have a problem with it overall? The main screen / hub basically consists of all your recently used items. Everything does have it's own section (Library for games, Apps for apps.)

They can easily change this. I don't think it is as bad as you are making it out to be.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC

The PS4's GUI really is garbage!

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Everything does have it's own section (Library for games, Apps for apps.)
    The library shows everything you ever downloaded, whether you still have it or not. It's useful, but it's not a games section.

Also, the apps section shows every app, whether you want it on your system or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja
    They can easily change this.
    They can, but I'm assuming Wrath simply isn't a fan of its current state.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    They can, but I'm assuming Wrath simply isn't a fan of its current state.
    Correct.

Especially when you consider that it's been almost a year since launch and nothing happened.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Correct.

Especially when you consider that it's been almost a year since launch and nothing happened.
    And I doubt anything will happen with the GUI. As far as I can tell, people are asking for features like DLNA, MP3 support, etc. I haven't seen many complaints about the GUI overall except for yours. And that is fine since it is your opinion, obviously. I just don't see a big push for the changes you would like to see.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Overseer
    i see wrath's point, they need organization and chris, i think they can easily do this. they just aren't prioritizing it yet. they don't have to change anything about the GUI itself, they just need to give us better options to organize it. it can be done easily.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i see wrath's point, they need organization and chris, i think they can easily do this. they just aren't prioritizing it yet. they don't have to change anything about the GUI itself, they just need to give us better options to organize it. it can be done easily.
    Yeah, this seems like it would be ridiculously easy to do. I don't know that it is on their radar though. That is all I'm saying.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Overseer
    yeah, i don't get it either. PS4 seriously needs a lot of updates and they're just taking their sweet ass time. really, as much success they've had, they should hire 2x more engineers to get **** done. they owe it to us.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Give us some damn auto snyc on those trophies Sony. Ridiculous that wasnt a day one feature.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    The library shows everything you ever downloaded, whether you still have it or not. It's useful, but it's not a games section.
    You're right, I just checked....I never realized this -- your apps like Netflix show up there too.

Also, the apps section shows every app, whether you want it on your system or not.
    It shows apps, yes. Apps that are available to download ands apps that you have. But it would be better if it only showed apps that you downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Give us some damn auto snyc on those trophies Sony. Ridiculous that wasnt a day one feature.
    Auto sync for trophies would be nice, but is it really necessary? But it does take away the dynamic nature of the OS. If you don't sync, it won't show your updates, etc.

Dedicated Member
    Xmb was more popular, it even found its way onto some sony bd players and smart tv's. The new gui, from the videos i've watched, isn't garbage, it's alright but between the two i'd take the xmb. The main consideration in the gui should be ease of navigation and xmb nailed that aspect.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    You're right, I just checked....I never realized this -- your apps like Netflix show up there too. It shows apps, yes. Apps that are available to download ands apps that you have. But it would be better if it only showed apps that you downloaded. Auto sync for trophies would be nice, but is it really necessary? But it does take away the dynamic nature of the OS. If you don't sync, it won't show your updates, etc.
    Well it sure would be convenient. And yeah maybe even necessary when your sync becomes corrupted and the trophy wont show so you have to go through a bunch of bs to fix the problem like I did.

Thread Information