Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,048
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,239 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

    What is the deal with Sony smartphones and carriers?

    So I am looking to get a larger phone. Hopefully Apple will announce one soon as I prefer iOS, but I'm not totally against an Android. I like some of the Sony offering especially the Z Ultra, but seems like you can't buy one from a carrier like Verizon or AT&T. Neither of those in the US have any Sony phones at all that I can see. Am I just missing something here?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  2. #2
    Power Member
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,325
    Rep Power
    124
    Points
    55,265 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The iphone was the same in the UK when it first released, could only be had on O2 I think.

  3. #3
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,977
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    42,316 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    So I am looking to get a larger phone. Hopefully Apple will announce one soon as I prefer iOS, but I'm not totally against an Android. I like some of the Sony offering especially the Z Ultra, but seems like you can't buy one from a carrier like Verizon or AT&T. Neither of those in the US have any Sony phones at all that I can see. Am I just missing something here?
    Sony isn't as big of a player in the US. Also their phones tend to fall by the wayside compared to the relevant samsung, HTC, and LG phones.

    If you want a larger phone, you may want to look into the nokia lumia 1520.

  4. #4
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,048
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,239 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Sony isn't as big of a player in the US. Also their phones tend to fall by the wayside compared to the relevant samsung, HTC, and LG phones.

    If you want a larger phone, you may want to look into the nokia lumia 1520.

    Yeah....starting to see that. Maybe a couple of carriers have the Xperia Z, but most don't have anything. Oh well.

    Haven't looked at Windows phones. My second choice, outside of a new iPhone, was going to be the Samsung Note II. But I'll check out that Nokia as well. Thanks.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  5. #5
    Elite Member
    K2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,583
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    8,667 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    How much do you save by buying through carrier? Haven't done that since the days of Nokia phones.

    Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    ...
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

  6. #6
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,048
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,239 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    How much do you save by buying through carrier? Haven't done that since the days of Nokia phones.
    Usually a good bit. I paid $200 with 2 year contract for my iPhone 5 when it was released. I think the regular price was over $500.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  7. #7
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,868
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    20,442 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Even if its not under carrier can't you just buy it outright?
    SONY is a pretty big player here in Australia, I know a hand full of people with them from the cheapest on the market upto the Z2.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  8. #8
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,048
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,239 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Even if its not under carrier can't you just buy it outright?
    SONY is a pretty big player here in Australia, I know a hand full of people with them from the cheapest on the market upto the Z2.
    Yeah, I just don't want to spend $400-500 on a phone.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  9. #9
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,077
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,533 (0 Banked)
    If you are switching from iOS to another device it will be hard. I tried it for a bit but you will miss the apps you use on a daily basis, specially if you've bought many (which I have.)

    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Sony isn't as big of a player in the US. Also their phones tend to fall by the wayside compared to the relevant samsung, HTC, and LG phones.

    If you want a larger phone, you may want to look into the nokia lumia 1520.
    Always pushing Microsoft, lol.

  10. #10
    Master Sage
    Bitbydeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    14,007
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,872 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yea, i've got a Z1, even better than the Galaxy series (which is what I used to have)... IMO
    You can't go wrong with Android though even Nokia is starting to go Android now.

    Android is open to all platforms so you know it isn't going anywhere and considering the costs you put into them you gotta make sure you pick the right one.

  11. #11
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,977
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    42,316 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    If you are switching from iOS to another device it will be hard. I tried it for a bit but you will miss the apps you use on a daily basis, specially if you've bought many (which I have.)



    Always pushing Microsoft, lol.
    Do you know of any decent phones with 6 inch+ screens available on att/verizon?

  12. #12
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,048
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,239 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Do you know of any decent phones with 6 inch+ screens available on att/verizon?
    LG G Flex got pretty good reviews.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  13. #13
    Elite Member
    K2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,583
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    8,667 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Usually a good bit. I paid $200 with 2 year contract for my iPhone 5 when it was released. I think the regular price was over $500.
    In my case I save more by buying a phone myself and choosing the cheapest carrier. By far.

    Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    ...
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

  14. #14
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,977
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    42,316 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    LG G Flex got pretty good reviews.
    $299.99

    And you have to deal with LG's "skin" on top of android which seems to be even worse (regarding usability and performance) than Samsung's touchwiz and HTC's sense.

    Also, the curved screen is a gimmick.

    And a 6 inch screen with a 720p resolution? That's even worse than the iphones resolution deficit.

  15. #15
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,048
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,239 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    If you are switching from iOS to another device it will be hard. I tried it for a bit but you will miss the apps you use on a daily basis, specially if you've bought many (which I have.)
    Yeah.....I can't say I will miss the apps. A couple of games are ok, but I find very few to be actually useful. Main thing that keeps me on iPhone is that it works so smoothly with my Mac. Kind of a no brainer, but Apple really needs to expand its lineup beyond new processors and colors. I had no reason whatsoever to upgrade from the 5 to the 5s/c. I'm hoping they show off a larger iPhone at WWDC, but it will probably be the fall. Not sure if I want to wait that long.

    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    $299.99

    And you have to deal with LG's "skin" on top of android which seems to be even worse (regarding usability and performance) than Samsung's touchwiz and HTC's sense.

    Also, the curved screen is a gimmick.

    And a 6 inch screen with a 720p resolution? That's even worse than the iphones resolution deficit.
    Yeah, thing is expensive. I didn't look any further at it after seeing the price. But I think it is the only other 6" phone available through AT&T.


    EDIT: Checked out the Nokia, Samsung Note 3, LG, and HTC One today.
    Pretty much confirmed that I am an iPhone guy. Hoping for a larger version this year.
    Last edited by Christopher; 05-27-2014 at 23:19.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  16. #16
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,868
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    20,442 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Within a week any iPhone guy can be an Android guy and visa versa, but for some Apple phones don't run long enough or have a big enough screen for older people to use.

    My Xperia SP has a 4.3' screen and I get a solid 4 days between charges, recorded 12day standby, 2370mAh battery.
    iPhones in comparrison feel awkward and the charging would drive me mental.

    On days I don't really use the phone but still have it on me it only uses 8% charge in 24hours.
    Last edited by mickice; 05-29-2014 at 02:34.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  17. #17
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,048
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,239 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Within a week any iPhone guy can be an Android guy and visa versa, but for some Apple phones don't run long enough or have a big enough screen for older people to use.

    My Xperia SP has a 4.3' screen and I get a solid 4 days between charges, recorded 12day standby, 2370mAh battery.
    iPhones in comparrison feel awkward and the charging would drive me mental.

    On days I don't really use the phone but still have it on me it only uses 8% charge in 24hours.
    Yeah, I wish I had an opportunity to check out an Xperia. They just don't exist in stores here....well, where I live anyway. I really just wasn't impressed with the current offerings on Android from the companies I listed. I know many love them.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  18. #18
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,977
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    42,316 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah.....I can't say I will miss the apps. A couple of games are ok, but I find very few to be actually useful. Main thing that keeps me on iPhone is that it works so smoothly with my Mac. Kind of a no brainer, but Apple really needs to expand its lineup beyond new processors and colors. I had no reason whatsoever to upgrade from the 5 to the 5s/c. I'm hoping they show off a larger iPhone at WWDC, but it will probably be the fall. Not sure if I want to wait that long.



    Yeah, thing is expensive. I didn't look any further at it after seeing the price. But I think it is the only other 6" phone available through AT&T.


    EDIT: Checked out the Nokia, Samsung Note 3, LG, and HTC One today.
    Pretty much confirmed that I am an iPhone guy. Hoping for a larger version this year.
    Was the nokia running windows phone 8.1?

    Also the rumor is a 4.7 inch screen for the iphone 6, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    13,535
    Rep Power
    141
    Points
    77,958 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I ran into the same problem. I wanted an Xperia when it was out but it wasn't available here. Not sure why the don't really concern themselves with the state.




    Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

  20. #20
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,868
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    20,442 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think SONY is more content with the asian/indian markets were people buy phones out right.
    Most SONY phones come on pre-paid plans here or outright.

    @Matrix with Windows phones going Android it'll be an even harder sell, less reason to want one.
    Last edited by mickice; 05-29-2014 at 05:39.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  21. #21
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,977
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    42,316 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I think SONY is more content with the asian/indian markets were people buy phones out right.
    Most SONY phones come on pre-paid plans here or outright.

    @Matrix with Windows phones going Android it'll be an even harder sell, less reason to want one.

    Clarify your statement, it doesn't make sense as it is.

  22. #22
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,868
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    20,442 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Clarify your statement, it doesn't make sense as it is.
    The new windows phones are going to be using re-skinned android OS. Why not just go regular android? Microsoft is going to have a tough sell and Google is investing in some seriously cool mobile tech.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  23. #23
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,977
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    42,316 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    The new windows phones are going to be using re-skinned android OS. Why not just go regular android? Microsoft is going to have a tough sell and Google is investing in some seriously cool mobile tech.
    Are you talking about this?

    http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/nokia-x/

    One, low end phone family from noika that will basically be ignored by everyone?

    You do realize microsoft bought out Nokia's phone division, right? They didn't do that just sell phones with a skinned android OS.

    They did so with the intent of producing better windows phones since other manufacturers are stagnating with thier windows phone products while they wait for the profits from android devices to come in.

    The only place windows phone is going is up.

  24. #24
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,048
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    64,239 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Was the nokia running windows phone 8.1?

    Also the rumor is a 4.7 inch screen for the iphone 6, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Rumors are rumors, but there has been talk about a 4.7 and a 5.5. Hoping for an announcement at WWDC, but I kinda doubt it.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  25. #25
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,977
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    42,316 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Rumors are rumors, but there has been talk about a 4.7 and a 5.5. Hoping for an announcement at WWDC, but I kinda doubt it.
    5.5 is rumored for net year.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.