Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

What is the deal with Sony smartphones and carriers?

So I am looking to get a larger phone. Hopefully Apple will announce one soon as I prefer iOS, but I'm not totally against an Android. I like some of the Sony offering especially the Z Ultra, but seems like you can't buy one from a carrier like Verizon or AT&T. Neither of those in the US have any Sony phones at all that I can see. Am I just missing something here?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The iphone was the same in the UK when it first released, could only be had on O2 I think.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    So I am looking to get a larger phone. Hopefully Apple will announce one soon as I prefer iOS, but I'm not totally against an Android. I like some of the Sony offering especially the Z Ultra, but seems like you can't buy one from a carrier like Verizon or AT&T. Neither of those in the US have any Sony phones at all that I can see. Am I just missing something here?
    Sony isn't as big of a player in the US. Also their phones tend to fall by the wayside compared to the relevant samsung, HTC, and LG phones.

If you want a larger phone, you may want to look into the nokia lumia 1520.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Sony isn't as big of a player in the US. Also their phones tend to fall by the wayside compared to the relevant samsung, HTC, and LG phones.

Yeah....starting to see that. Maybe a couple of carriers have the Xperia Z, but most don't have anything. Oh well.

Haven't looked at Windows phones. My second choice, outside of a new iPhone, was going to be the Samsung Note II. But I'll check out that Nokia as well. Thanks.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    How much do you save by buying through carrier? Haven't done that since the days of Nokia phones.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    How much do you save by buying through carrier? Haven't done that since the days of Nokia phones.
    Usually a good bit. I paid $200 with 2 year contract for my iPhone 5 when it was released. I think the regular price was over $500.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Even if its not under carrier can't you just buy it outright?
    SONY is a pretty big player here in Australia, I know a hand full of people with them from the cheapest on the market upto the Z2.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Even if its not under carrier can't you just buy it outright?
    SONY is a pretty big player here in Australia, I know a hand full of people with them from the cheapest on the market upto the Z2.
    Yeah, I just don't want to spend $400-500 on a phone.

Forum Sage
    If you are switching from iOS to another device it will be hard. I tried it for a bit but you will miss the apps you use on a daily basis, specially if you've bought many (which I have.)

Always pushing Microsoft, lol.

Master Sage
    Yea, i've got a Z1, even better than the Galaxy series (which is what I used to have)... IMO
    You can't go wrong with Android though even Nokia is starting to go Android now.

Android is open to all platforms so you know it isn't going anywhere and considering the costs you put into them you gotta make sure you pick the right one.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    If you are switching from iOS to another device it will be hard. I tried it for a bit but you will miss the apps you use on a daily basis, specially if you've bought many (which I have.)

Always pushing Microsoft, lol.
    Do you know of any decent phones with 6 inch+ screens available on att/verizon?

Do you know of any decent phones with 6 inch+ screens available on att/verizon?
    LG G Flex got pretty good reviews.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Usually a good bit. I paid $200 with 2 year contract for my iPhone 5 when it was released. I think the regular price was over $500.
    In my case I save more by buying a phone myself and choosing the cheapest carrier. By far.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Forum Sage
    LG G Flex got pretty good reviews.
    $299.99

And you have to deal with LG's "skin" on top of android which seems to be even worse (regarding usability and performance) than Samsung's touchwiz and HTC's sense.

Also, the curved screen is a gimmick.

And a 6 inch screen with a 720p resolution? That's even worse than the iphones resolution deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Yeah.....I can't say I will miss the apps. A couple of games are ok, but I find very few to be actually useful. Main thing that keeps me on iPhone is that it works so smoothly with my Mac. Kind of a no brainer, but Apple really needs to expand its lineup beyond new processors and colors. I had no reason whatsoever to upgrade from the 5 to the 5s/c. I'm hoping they show off a larger iPhone at WWDC, but it will probably be the fall. Not sure if I want to wait that long.

$299.99

And you have to deal with LG's "skin" on top of android which seems to be even worse (regarding usability and performance) than Samsung's touchwiz and HTC's sense.

Also, the curved screen is a gimmick.

And a 6 inch screen with a 720p resolution? That's even worse than the iphones resolution deficit.
    Yeah, thing is expensive. I didn't look any further at it after seeing the price. But I think it is the only other 6" phone available through AT&T.

EDIT: Checked out the Nokia, Samsung Note 3, LG, and HTC One today.
    Pretty much confirmed that I am an iPhone guy. Hoping for a larger version this year.
    Last edited by Christopher; 05-27-2014 at 23:19.

Ultimate Veteran
    Within a week any iPhone guy can be an Android guy and visa versa, but for some Apple phones don't run long enough or have a big enough screen for older people to use.

My Xperia SP has a 4.3' screen and I get a solid 4 days between charges, recorded 12day standby, 2370mAh battery.
    iPhones in comparrison feel awkward and the charging would drive me mental.

On days I don't really use the phone but still have it on me it only uses 8% charge in 24hours.
    Last edited by mickice; 05-29-2014 at 02:34.

Within a week any iPhone guy can be an Android guy and visa versa, but for some Apple phones don't run long enough or have a big enough screen for older people to use.

My Xperia SP has a 4.3' screen and I get a solid 4 days between charges, recorded 12day standby, 2370mAh battery.
    iPhones in comparrison feel awkward and the charging would drive me mental.

On days I don't really use the phone but still have it on me it only uses 8% charge in 24hours.
    Yeah, I wish I had an opportunity to check out an Xperia. They just don't exist in stores here....well, where I live anyway. I really just wasn't impressed with the current offerings on Android from the companies I listed. I know many love them.

Forum Sage
    Yeah.....I can't say I will miss the apps. A couple of games are ok, but I find very few to be actually useful. Main thing that keeps me on iPhone is that it works so smoothly with my Mac. Kind of a no brainer, but Apple really needs to expand its lineup beyond new processors and colors. I had no reason whatsoever to upgrade from the 5 to the 5s/c. I'm hoping they show off a larger iPhone at WWDC, but it will probably be the fall. Not sure if I want to wait that long.

Yeah, thing is expensive. I didn't look any further at it after seeing the price. But I think it is the only other 6" phone available through AT&T.

EDIT: Checked out the Nokia, Samsung Note 3, LG, and HTC One today.
    Pretty much confirmed that I am an iPhone guy. Hoping for a larger version this year.
    Was the nokia running windows phone 8.1?

Also the rumor is a 4.7 inch screen for the iphone 6, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I ran into the same problem. I wanted an Xperia when it was out but it wasn't available here. Not sure why the don't really concern themselves with the state.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    I think SONY is more content with the asian/indian markets were people buy phones out right.
    Most SONY phones come on pre-paid plans here or outright.

@Matrix with Windows phones going Android it'll be an even harder sell, less reason to want one.
    Last edited by mickice; 05-29-2014 at 05:39.

Forum Sage
    I think SONY is more content with the asian/indian markets were people buy phones out right.
    Most SONY phones come on pre-paid plans here or outright.

@Matrix with Windows phones going Android it'll be an even harder sell, less reason to want one.

Clarify your statement, it doesn't make sense as it is.

Ultimate Veteran
    Clarify your statement, it doesn't make sense as it is.
    The new windows phones are going to be using re-skinned android OS. Why not just go regular android? Microsoft is going to have a tough sell and Google is investing in some seriously cool mobile tech.

Forum Sage
    The new windows phones are going to be using re-skinned android OS. Why not just go regular android? Microsoft is going to have a tough sell and Google is investing in some seriously cool mobile tech.
    Are you talking about this?

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/nokia-x/

One, low end phone family from noika that will basically be ignored by everyone?

You do realize microsoft bought out Nokia's phone division, right? They didn't do that just sell phones with a skinned android OS.

They did so with the intent of producing better windows phones since other manufacturers are stagnating with thier windows phone products while they wait for the profits from android devices to come in.

The only place windows phone is going is up.

Was the nokia running windows phone 8.1?

Also the rumor is a 4.7 inch screen for the iphone 6, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Rumors are rumors, but there has been talk about a 4.7 and a 5.5. Hoping for an announcement at WWDC, but I kinda doubt it.

Forum Sage
    Rumors are rumors, but there has been talk about a 4.7 and a 5.5. Hoping for an announcement at WWDC, but I kinda doubt it.
    5.5 is rumored for net year.

Thread Information