Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The Haters are always gonna Hate!

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post

In ubisoft we trust...smfh, I can honestly say the only reason I bought the game is because there's nothing else out there for me

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    That video... I know of another open world game that you could find just as many negative things to point out (as well as things from this game done better as a new IP than that other game as one with 5 titles under their belts).

Half the stuff in that video is forced because of hardware limitations (remember, this game had to be made to run on 8 year old hardware when it was likely aimed only at the newest gen). Most of the other stuff is design choice, such as environmental damage. Is it realistic? No, but it hardly takes away from actual gameplay.

His life is obviously terrible and he has to make everything else out to be terrible. I don't even want to listen to audio of it, just skipped through and saw stuff like running around and taking enemies out easily, while highly like not on realistic as he would have been killed with 2 bullet hits, or complaining about disappearing cars, when GTA has them disappear of you walk around the corner.

Personally, the more time I spend with the game the more I enjoy it. Yes it has some issues but they honestly don't take away from the enjoyment. I'll stand by one of my previous statements, that anyone disappointed this game isn't more like GTA is a fool. It was never meant to be a GTA clone. I can't wait until the inevitable Watch Dogs 2 and see what they are able to do with only new hardware and one title under their belt.

4. Likes billm0066 likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    His life is obviously terrible and he has to make everything else out to be terrible. I don't even want to listen to audio of it, just skipped through and saw stuff like running around and taking enemies out easily, while highly like not on realistic as he would have been killed with 2 bullet hits, or complaining about disappearing cars, when GTA has them disappear of you walk around the corner.
    who are you talking about?

If it's Jackfrags, he doesn't give a monkeys about "GFX" or "GTA clone". He's probably one of the better reviewers out there(as he doesn't do them often), Ubi send him to a bunch of their press stuff, and he still has enough balls to be frank and honest about the game

If its the vid keefy posted....yer, that's just nitpicking. WatchDogs doesn't have the financial backing of R*, nor the time to develop an engine that does 1000 different things.

But on the nitpicking going on (and this bugs me) R* didn't even write the physics software! NaturalMotion (a middleware company) developed the softbody physics engine "Euphoria" for use in gaming, R* just leveraged that tech in their game, as did Star Wars - the one with star killer - why do people keep pointing to this as a thing, it's not a thing! Hell, you could say R* were lazy and just used off the shelve product...people nowadays.

I can't wait until the inevitable Watch Dogs 2 and see what they are able to do with only new hardware and one title under their belt.
    Ubi would have to commit resources to the project, otherwise all we'll get is a tweaked WD1 in the same vein as AssCreed series. I hope they go back and work on the engine and cater it to what they want from the game.

Anyway, it is quite a fun game. It's kinda creepy how so much info about a person is known (does the NSA REALLY do this irl? ) and it does give character to once uncharacterised NPC's. Brings up a bunch of questions regarding morals and ethics, it's a nice touch, and asks the player to make some questionable decisions
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post

*Cut*
    That video is showing more than nitpicks, its actually proving the video creator's main points. I read its not like this on the PS4 but why would there be issues such of these on any platform after 5 years of development and a ton of money spent? It confirms what I suspected and its not looking bright. It reminds me of Driv3r's glitches and bugs. I like to free roam and mess around with stuff and this doesn't look like a good game to do that on, too many weird things happening to break the immersion. I read a nickname for this game already: Watch Bugs.

Seeing a train turn on a 90 angle would be funny to see however! lol.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by hoverbike View Post
    That video is showing more than nitpicks, its actually proving the video creator's main points. I read its not like this on the PS4 but why would there be issues such of these on any platform after 5 years of development and a ton of money spent? It confirms what I suspected and its not looking bright. It reminds me of Driv3r's glitches and bugs. I like to free roam and mess around with stuff and this doesn't look like a good game to do that on, too many weird things happening to break the immersion. I read a nickname for this game already: Watch Bugs.

Seeing a train turn on a 90 angle would be funny to see however! lol.
    well, a train stopping should be expected....just, Watch Dogs has it to the opposite end R* set theirs...how is a train not stopping considered immersion? If someone is on a train track, the train will stop if they are seen and not do what it does in GTA - which is run them flat.

The water thing, Watch Dogs uses Tessellation for its water, the reason there is no splash could be down to the fact 'bullets' aren't actual geometry to interact with the water. Hence no deformation occurs. Prolly have to ask someone else for more info on that though, that would be my guess though.

Ragdoll.... R* didn't code their physics as i posted above. Third party software. All the little details with the NPC's are provided by the software (grabbing things to keep them upright, curling under stress etc.)

THIS right here is prolly one of the biggest contributors to R*'s NPC's feeling "alive" as they react when you bump them etc.

The physics of the cars are also handled by Euphoria (i think don't quote me on that) which means the interactive hydrants are also provided by the middleware.

Stuff exploding on impact, people always complain when things don't break, now they complain when they do. It needs more work, but it is better than nothing

While there are bugs, it's to be expected in an open world game. This also released on 5 or so platforms, hunting down bugs would've had to take place across all 5 meaning a long and arduous journey.

People just want to complain about something rather than enjoy the game. The free running in this is FAR better than what GTA provides. Why can't people just take it as another great open world game and not compare it?? what is wrong with variety?
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I've been loving the game like crazy. I'm not going to stop playing it until I've hacked every NPC in the game.

9. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Sent the game back, its **** and im not wasting 44 on my 1st brought game for my so called next gen console. Gimme a next gen game ffs

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I've been loving the game like crazy. I'm not going to stop playing it until I've hacked every NPC in the game.
    Yeah, this game has grown on me. Makes a big difference when you start figuring out how to do things. I was running away from the cops for an eternity during the first mission cuz I didn't realize I could hack stuff like traffic lights from my car. sigh.....idiot.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    well, a train stopping should be expected....just, Watch Dogs has it to the opposite end R* set theirs...how is a train not stopping considered immersion? If someone is on a train track, the train will stop if they are seen and not do what it does in GTA - which is run them flat.

The water thing, Watch Dogs uses Tessellation for its water, the reason there is no splash could be down to the fact 'bullets' aren't actual geometry to interact with the water. Hence no deformation occurs. Prolly have to ask someone else for more info on that though, that would be my guess though.

Ragdoll.... R* didn't code their physics as i posted above. Third party software. All the little details with the NPC's are provided by the software (grabbing things to keep them upright, curling under stress etc.)

THIS right here is prolly one of the biggest contributors to R*'s NPC's feeling "alive" as they react when you bump them etc.

The physics of the cars are also handled by Euphoria (i think don't quote me on that) which means the interactive hydrants are also provided by the middleware.

Stuff exploding on impact, people always complain when things don't break, now they complain when they do. It needs more work, but it is better than nothing

While there are bugs, it's to be expected in an open world game. This also released on 5 or so platforms, hunting down bugs would've had to take place across all 5 meaning a long and arduous journey.

People just want to complain about something rather than enjoy the game. The free running in this is FAR better than what GTA provides. Why can't people just take it as another great open world game and not compare it?? what is wrong with variety?
    I don't mind the train stuff so much but its the way it stops that looks awkward. Also if your too close to a speeding train I don't believe its possible for them to stop in time anyways but if your referring to a mile away type distance, maybe.

I've read before that the comparison isn't fair because *R didn't code the physics engine and just bought it off the shelf and inserted it into the game, I rather this game do the same then have what is currently there...when I'm playing a game I'm not thinking or caring about whether the dev bought or made the physics engine themselves as long as it works and junk.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by hoverbike View Post
    I don't mind the train stuff so much but its the way it stops that looks awkward. Also if your too close to a speeding train I don't believe its possible for them to stop in time anyways but if your referring to a mile away type distance, maybe.
    True, could have worked on it some more, trains coming from a standstill from top speed looks incredibly stupid . But maybe, their physics model doesn't allow for a collision of that type/speed? so the train not hitting anything was the best compromise overall (i reference the falling cargo container in the vid keefy posted) it might have made for an even buggier game if the code were the way it should?

I've read before that the comparison isn't fair because *R didn't code the physics engine and just bought it off the shelf and inserted it into the game, I rather this game do the same then have what is currently there...when I'm playing a game I'm not thinking or caring about whether the dev bought or made the physics engine themselves as long as it works and junk.
    Ubisoft probably didn't think it was worth the investment (i don't know the TOS for euphoria). They invested in their own animation systems for AssCreed, and probably thought it would suffice. But euphoria is on another level to Ubi's tech, so again, i agree Ubi should have forked out for it. That much 'win' from one system should be worth the money

But, lacking these doesn't necessarily make it a bad game. GTA is the crowning achievement of open world, like Uncharted/TLoU is to action adventure
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Apprentice
    I've decided to play it since i have no choice (opened it and made an agreement with myself i wouldnt trade in my ps4 games)...and it has grown on me..i still can only play it in short hour bursts though...but it has grown on me

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah, this game has grown on me. Makes a big difference when you start figuring out how to do things. I was running away from the cops for an eternity during the first mission cuz I didn't realize I could hack stuff like traffic lights from my car. sigh.....idiot.
    Lol. I know what you mean. Get in a car garage, and hide!!! lol. The game has so much potential; overshadowed by, I assume, poor coding.

16. Likes Justin likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Imagine what the game would have been without the additional delay time?! *Mind blown*

8 years and counting!

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

I'm so tempted to buy this game. I don't have crap to play. Not a single game. I'm losing it.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Sryche
    Items Guerrilla Gamesid Software
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Agreed. I've been on the fence for awhile, but I'm really enjoying the game now after a few days of playing. Once you unlock some of the additional hacking skills in the skill tree, everything starts to come together...hooked now!

"Don't Be Surprised If You Mind When You Find Me." ~ Life of Agony

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    who are you talking about?

If it's Jackfrags, he doesn't give a monkeys about "GFX" or "GTA clone". He's probably one of the better reviewers out there(as he doesn't do them often), Ubi send him to a bunch of their press stuff, and he still has enough balls to be frank and honest about the game

If its the vid keefy posted....yer, that's just nitpicking. WatchDogs doesn't have the financial backing of R*, nor the time to develop an engine that does 1000 different things.

But on the nitpicking going on (and this bugs me) R* didn't even write the physics software! NaturalMotion (a middleware company) developed the softbody physics engine "Euphoria" for use in gaming, R* just leveraged that tech in their game, as did Star Wars - the one with star killer - why do people keep pointing to this as a thing, it's not a thing! Hell, you could say R* were lazy and just used off the shelve product...people nowadays.

Ubi would have to commit resources to the project, otherwise all we'll get is a tweaked WD1 in the same vein as AssCreed series. I hope they go back and work on the engine and cater it to what they want from the game.

Anyway, it is quite a fun game. It's kinda creepy how so much info about a person is known (does the NSA REALLY do this irl? ) and it does give character to once uncharacterised NPC's. Brings up a bunch of questions regarding morals and ethics, it's a nice touch, and asks the player to make some questionable decisions
    The person who felt the need to upload the video showing the games' "issues" like environmental destruction and how easy the game can be when not on a harder difficulty. Yes there are true bugs there, but it's like that for most every open world game. I'm betting that person didn't do the same for games like GTA or Skyrim (or will do it when the next instance of those games comes out on current gen specs and have the inevitable bugs that those games have).

I don't understand why any unbiased and rational person would want to focus on the negatives of a game instead of enjoying all the positives there are. And I especially don't understand why they would feel the need to bash design choices, mainly the destructible environment. It was weird to me at first, but it's grown on me and I actually enjoy it a lot now. It's not realistic but realism isn't always fun, look at how many people disliked GTA:IV for that exact reason. I'm also just too busy enjoying the game and having fun to be bothered by how easily a bus stop gets destroyed. I will admit that the sound effects still bother me though.

And yea, I will definitely need them to do a lot more with the game in order to make me purchase WD2. If they decide to push one out every year like AC does then I'll pass or wait until it's cheap. We saw how much better AC got after the first game when they put time into it and I'm hoping they do that with this game.

I can't remember, this game was announced before all the NSA stuff, right? If so, that's funny how it worked out. And I do like the pedestrian profiling, like I said in the review thread, they really make you want to get out and walk around instead of being stuck in your vehicle. I love finding the privacy invasions. There's a good mix of funny and just plain dark stuff.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Anyone wanna check this out? Check reflections on the PS4, compared to the PC.

Here's some PC grabs:

As you can see, it doesn't actually show the proper reflections.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Its called "cube maps" I think.

Also is this game actually called "Watch_dogs" with the underscore because that is what it shows up as on Steam and in their forums.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Yes, that's the proper name for the game. WATCH_DOGS.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Does the actual box show it as Watch_Dogs?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Does the actual box show it as Watch_Dogs?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post

I'm so tempted to buy this game. I don't have crap to play. Not a single game. I'm losing it.
    I've seen some pretty great hacking moves. I had one where the last 10% I was slowly walking around a tree trunk while the player was scrambling around and other where I had them doing circles around a building. One video the guy hacking lured the player into a train and hacked it so he guy was sent along with it.

This guy from GAF is #4 right now.
    http://www.twitch.tv/gaz_rb

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Imagine what the game would have been without the additional delay time?! *Mind blown*
    I'm not sure if you are saying it would have been better or worse without the additional delay time.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Is it possible to polish a game past awesomeness into utter drivel?

Thread Information