Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Eurogamer: Why PS4 exclusive The Order: 1886 was delayed to early 2015

And why it can only be a good thing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-27-why-ps4-exclusive-the-order-1886-was-delayed-to-early-2015

Sony and developer Ready at Dawn have delayed PlayStation 4 exclusive The Order: 1886 from late 2014 to early 2015.Speaking at a pre-E3 Sony event in Santa Monica, Ready at Dawn chief Ru Weerasuriya tells Eurogamer the decision was made so the developer could try to make sure the entire game was at a high quality level, rather than just certain sections.
    "We want to hold true to something we've talked about in the past," he says, "which is delivering the experience without having this ebb and flow of: oh, this was really great and that was kind of meh, because we sacrificed a little time on it."
    The Order, a single-player-only cover-based third-person shooter set in an alternate Victorian London, was set to be the PlayStation 4 tentpole Christmas 2014 game. But, after what Weerasuriya describes as "an open discussion" with publisher Sony, it was agreed the game should be pushed back by a few months.
    "We have an open discussion with Sony all the time," Weerasuriya explains. "We said, 'Look, we can achieve the quality you expect everywhere, but delivering on this is going to take a few more months.'
    "It's not that long. It's worth it if we can deliver on the promise we made."

Adding further complication to the project, which involves some 125 staff at Ready at Dawn as well as scores of people at Sony Computer Entertainment's San Diego motion-capture facility, was that it expanded in scope even as it was being made.
    "The project is always bigger than what everybody expects," Weerasuriya says. "That's what this is. It is bigger than what everybody expected. Everything we've shot, everything we've done, is quite a bit larger than what we had planned for. But we're not going to sacrifice just because of time. Quality has to come first.
    "That's what I commend Sony for, for so many games they've done. They always say, 'PlayStation stands for what it has done for so long because we will always take the side of quality when it comes down to it.' That is one of the strengths Sony has had for so many years."
    The Order employs a "filmic" visual design, and leans heavily on motion and facial capture in an attempt to create an experience that links third-person shooter action and cut-scenes seamlessly.
    A preview build I play demonstrates what Ready at Dawn is going for. After a firefight in wartorn Whitechapel, player character Grayson, also known as Sir Galahad, and his three knight friends Mallory, Igraine and Lafayette, must save a policeman who has been shot in a crossfire. After running towards him and pressing the button prompt, you trigger a sequence in which you must use a pistol to shoot onrushing enemies while dragging the injured man from the street to the relative safety of a nearby building. Once inside, a cut-scene plays out.
    All the while this is happening, the game retains an astonishing level of visual fidelity. There is no switching from gameplay graphics to pre-rendered cut-scene graphics or anything like that - everything runs in real time. Inside the building, the cut-scene ends and you're suddenly in charge of searching for an exit. Search hard enough and you can find a piece of paper, which you can twist and turn to inspect. (There are objects you find in the environment that play into the story and offer clues.)
    Eventually you find a way out after blowing up the wall. Outside, more cover-based combat ensues. Through the use of smart camera techniques, and because the in-engine visuals are so impressive, it feels as though you're always playing, even when you're not.
    Weerasuriya says Ready at Dawn hopes the entire game will feel as seamless as this playable section, and credits the delay with helping to achieve this.
    "As much as you think it would be easy to put together those moment to moments, and the camera falling into something then falling out, it's more intricate than what everybody expected," he says. "Without the delay, we probably wouldn't be seamless because we'd have to do what a lot of other games do, like hard cuts, then straight gameplay, and then you're somewhere else. You're like, 'wait, I just finished over there.' Or, 'wait, I didn't get it.'

The Order was announced during Sony's E3 2013 press conference with a brief cinematic that showed the knights fighting a mysterious enemy in London. But it wasn't until February 2014 that we got a good look at how Ready at Dawn is trying to blend different types of gameplay together.

In the February gameplay reveal, Galahad leaps off of a building, crashes through a shed roof and lands on an enemy. A fight breaks out, and a quick-time event asks you to press the corresponding on-screen button in time to dodge an attack. Succeed and the pair scuffle on the ground, where the gameplay switches again. You must search the ground nearby for a weapon to deliver the final blow in what Ready at Dawn calls a "branching melee" moment. (You can see this sequence in the video above.)
    Making this kind of sequence truly seamless is the challenge Ready at Dawn has faced during development.
    "From a straightforward navigation and jump, you fall straight into melee," Weerasuriya says. "There is no, 'I fell and then cut and then, okay, melee moment, branching QTE, and then cut, and then something else.' It's a bigger proposition than we even knew, because we're learning as we do it."
    Sony was all for the delay, according to Weerasuriya, even though it leaves the PS4's 2014 release schedule somewhat sparse.
    "We've known Sony for long enough that there is a very easy conversation that goes on," Weerasuriya says, highlighting Ready at Dawn's past work on the God of War PlayStation Portable games. "It's not like anybody is blind to anything that's happening. We don't work and just go, 'Hey, we'll show it when we show it.'
    "Ready at Dawn is always at work on the game. We don't make any qualms about saying, 'We need more time on that.' Or, 'That took less time than we thought.' Scott Rohde [PlayStation software product development head] and all of those guys are always aware of everything that's going on. So when a conversation comes up they never feel like, 'Hey, we have to sit down.' It's more like, 'Hey guys, this is really cool, but look at the amount of work we have to do... we could really deliver on the experience if we gave it until early 2015.'"

So, what's The Order like to play? The five or so minutes of gameplay available rekindle memories of Gears of War, with a dash of Naughty Dog's Uncharted and a twist of Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain. Ready at Dawn's alternative Victorian London is an incredibly detailed but dank and grey place. That's the nature of the 19th Century London beast, of course.

Still, The Order gets away with it because the graphics on show are as good as anything seen on a console, and it's clear the developer has spent a great deal of time trying to make each scene live up to this "filmic" look - complete with black bars above and below the image. Ready at Dawn hopes you'll be able to freeze-frame the game at any point and the still image will look like a painting, aping the work of The Last Samurai, Glory, and Legends of the Fall director Edward Zwick. It's a neat, impressive trick that works.
    While no-one can dispute that the game's graphics are hot, though, the feel of the gunplay leaves me cold. The weapons feel lightweight and the bullets they fire even lighter, and it seems the AI enemies don't always react to being shot with the force you'd expect.
    The preview build is designed to showcase the Thermite Rifle, a weapon that fuses Ready at Dawn's take on technology and alternate history and has two modes of fire: one button sends out rounds of thermite that burst into clouds of flammable dust, the other fires flares to ignite the dust. To use the rifle effectively, you need to spray an area just above an enemy with thermite and then shoot the dust with flares, causing burning hot particles to rain down upon your foes - even if they're behind cover.
    It's a nice idea, but the rifle, and the other weapons that have been shown so far, don't pack enough of a punch, and as a result there's a lack of intensity to killing bad guys. The two main combat sequences I plays don't live long in the memory, either, in part because they are pretty basic and involve little more than firing fluid in the general direction of the enemies before igniting it, but mainly because the environments in which they were set weren't particularly interesting.
    tal Foundry presents in-depth tech analysis of the finished game.Adding a touch of variety to the shooting is a slow-motion mechanic called Black Sight, which ties into the Black Water, a substance the knights drink to heighten their senses and restore health. (Mallory drinks some from a vial after he's shot in the neck.) During Black Sight you can flick the thumb stick to quickly target enemies faster than they can react. You can't use it all of the time - you build up a meter as you kill enemies - and perhaps you wouldn't want to use it all of the time even if you could, because Ready at Dawn teases that the Black Water makes the knights less human somehow.
    From what I've played, then, The Order's combat is perfectly serviceable but also forgettable. Having a seamless filmic experience, or whatever you want to call it, is all well and good, but The Order is a third-person shooter at its core, and right now there's nothing about the combat that grabs you by the scruff of the neck and demands you play more. For all the visual effects on show, the shooting lacks spark.
    "Of course there's good and bad," Weerasuriya says of the reaction to the February gameplay reveal. "The good reinforces the decisions you take. People talk about the visual fidelity we're able to achieve, the character performances, and the fact it's all in-game. We still have people, even after the February stuff, say, 'Oh, that was totally pre-rendered.' I'm like, 'Okay, I don't know how else to explain it to you, but it's okay. If you believe that, it's fine.' But that is amazing."
    I can't help but feel Ready at Dawn is still holding plenty back. But what? Here's hoping that, come early 2015, there will be more to the game than eye-popping graphics, and the delay will have been worth it.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yup that's a bummer...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Sounds like PS4 should've launched Nov. 2014 instead since most of Sony's exclusives dont seem to be ready.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    It looks like the PS4 has even less to play on it for the rest of the year. Sigh. The XB1 isn’t really any better, but Sony’s “20 first-party games, 12 new IPs in its first year” promise seems to be collapsing like a house of cards.

6. Likes dondidit likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Good that they can at least try to fulfill their vision. So long as it's not too late, and/or it gets close to that potential, then I'm happy.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    oh well. will be super busy with other personal commitment for the rest of this year anyway. bummer though

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    uh oh:
    "which is delivering the experience without having this ebb and flow of: oh, this was really great and that was kind of meh, because we sacrificed a little time on it."
    Director doesn't quite sound like he has a firm grasp on the story. Good pacing should be all about the highs and lows, those "meh" bits can be used for dialogue/Character development in game :/

I think the looming Naughty Dog reveals have RAD on the back foot a bit. Their[RAD] game is all about story, and Naughty Dog hold that crown....especially where pacing is concerned.

It SOUNDS like they want that COD style pacing. where set pieces just keep hitting you over, and over....i'm probably wrong, but it's the impression i get hearing a 'low' being taken as "meh".

That being said, the little reveal a few days ago looked solid!
    I REALLY like the aesthetics in The Order, dark Victorian London is a mega place backdrop imho! Dark, dirty, and grungy full of shadow and political unrest, yet there you stand, a member of the Order....stocked to see more
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

10. Likes dondidit likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    uh oh:

Director doesn't quite sound like he has a firm grasp on the story. Good pacing should be all about the highs and lows, those "meh" bits can be used for dialogue/Character development in game :/
    I don't think that's it at all (or not how I read it) - I think meh as in gameplay bits where it doesn't make sense or was not really needed. I think (or rather - 'hope') we'll something along the lines (not saiyng it'll be as good necessarily) as TLOU or even Spec Ops pacing.

I guess we'll see.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    They might just have to rename it The Order 1887 and the developer change their name to Ready at Dusk.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I'm curious about these delays, #DriveClub and now this :/

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Sounds like PS4 should've launched Nov. 2014 instead since most of Sony's exclusives dont seem to be ready.
    Dude, you hit the nail right on the head there. i fully believe both consoles shouldve released late this year

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    They might just have to rename it The Order 1887 and the developer change their name to Ready at Dusk.

Well if it makes for a better game then who can blame them, plus have you seen how quickly this year is going lol!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Well if it makes for a better game then who can blame them, plus have you seen how quickly this year is going lol!
    Tell me about it. Its going fast.

PSN ID
    NapoleonSolo61
    my main concern is the black borders

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    I'm reserving judgment on this game as I just haven't seen enough of it. What I have seen indicates they have the ingredients to make a AAA game. So for now I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and see what turns up in Feb.

As for Sony's year - I am worried that the only sexy bits that get announced at E3 will be available this year in North America only! I hope they've remembered the rest of the world is also waiting for their E3 announcements and also that they have some big games about to drop for the Holiday season (can't believe we wouldn't have already heard rumours of them though)

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    I'm reserving judgment on this game as I just haven't seen enough of it. What I have seen indicates they have the ingredients to make a AAA game. So for now I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and see what turns up in Feb. As for Sony's year - I am worried that the only sexy bits that get announced at E3 will be available this year in North America only! I hope they've remembered the rest of the world is also waiting for their E3 announcements and also that they have some big games about to drop for the Holiday season (can't believe we wouldn't have already heard rumours of them though)
    Maybe we haven't heard about them because there aren't any. lol

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonSolo61 View Post
    Yeah I dont care for that either. I'm not buying that "makes it more cinematic" PR line.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonSolo61 View Post
    Beyond 2 souls had black borders and I didn't really notice it much when I was playing.

Game needs co-op though, don't know how they can could leave it out after showing that first trailer. Damn tease.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    If there's one thing I'm not worried about, having a 50 " TV within 6 feets viewing distance, is whether the game has black bars.. They've nailed the graphics, as we've seen already - now they demonstrate great gameplay or story.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Beyond 2 souls had black borders and I didn't really notice it much when I was playing. Game needs co-op though, don't know how they can could leave it out after showing that first trailer. Damn tease. Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
    It did? I dont even remember. lol Well not a big deal then because I enoyed Beyond 2 souls.

Ultimate Veteran
    I hate when they show these games early.why show it a year before launch

Thread Information