Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSN ID
    Blazergamer007

Lightbulb Next Gen Vs. Current Gen Graphics Comparison

IGN has posted a great graphics comparision between PS4, XB1, PC and Old gen using splitscreen. It really gives you a good idea of the difference in graphics.

2. Likes Justin likes this post
    Forum Elder
    I think last Gen versions hold up very well.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    IGN missed an obvious one (i think everyone is). PS4, XB1 tessellate the rivers/sea. Would have been an obvious point of comparison/difference imo.

PS360 can't render that technique at all.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

5. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i don't get a point of these comparisons.

the best way to compare would be to compare two games that are similar in the time interval they came out in, similar genre, similar sort of development (compare two first party games, compare two games made by skilled developers or the same developers).

comparing a cross-gen game together means...nothing. last-gen versions hold up, which means nothing. this game built from scratch for the X1 or PS4 alone would've been a game in a totally different league. better yet, compare Watch Dogs 3 that may come out by the end of this generation (as this is at the end of PS3/360 generation) and hopefully it doesn't support last-gen consoles...and then compare that game to the last-gen versions of this game.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The point is quite clear. Compare the different platform so viewers have even more information on which to get. Hey, it looks that much better on the PS4. I might just buy a PS4, and get the game on that system.

OR

The game doesn't look that much better on the XB1. I'll just get it on the 360 and wait for more "next gen" games are released.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The point is quite clear. Compare the different platform so viewers have even more information on which to get. Hey, it looks that much better on the PS4. I might just buy a PS4, and get the game on that system.

OR

The game doesn't look that much better on the XB1. I'll just get it on the 360 and wait for more "next gen" games are released.
    i get that point. i meant that we know what they are all going to look like. PS4/X1 version will undoubtedly look better than PS3/360 versions, PS3/360 versions will undoubtedly hold their own, PC will be the best.

the casual gamers don't care about all this so it's not for them. the not-so-casual don't need this because they know better.

comparing last gen versions with next-gen versions makes no sense to me.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i don't get a point of these comparisons.

the best way to compare would be to compare two games that are similar in the time interval they came out in, similar genre, similar sort of development (compare two first party games, compare two games made by skilled developers or the same developers).

comparing a cross-gen game together means...nothing. last-gen versions hold up, which means nothing. this game built from scratch for the X1 or PS4 alone would've been a game in a totally different league. better yet, compare Watch Dogs 3 that may come out by the end of this generation (as this is at the end of PS3/360 generation) and hopefully it doesn't support last-gen consoles...and then compare that game to the last-gen versions of this game.
    The purpose of these comparisons is not to show which console has more power. It's to show differences for those who care -- probably for the IGN audience.

OR

If you have a next-gen system, you're going to get the next-gen version. The price of the last-gen version isn't cheaper than next-gen....it's the same price.

EDIT

Oh I see Sufi, yeah I agree comparing current gen with last gen is a bit pointless, but I can see the IGN audience may want to compare, specially if Watch Dogs was a game they were waiting for, before upgrading.
    Last edited by sainraja; 06-03-2014 at 04:08.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    The purpose of these comparisons is not to show which console has more power. It's to show differences for those who care -- probably for the IGN audience.

If you have a next-gen system, you're going to get the next-gen version. The price of the last-gen version isn't cheaper than next-gen....it's the same price.

EDIT

Oh I see Sufi, yeah I agree comparing current gen with last gen is a bit pointless, but I can see the IGN audience may want to compare, specially if Watch Dogs was a game they were waiting for, before upgrading.
    It's nice for those that are still trying to decide on if they want to get into the next-gen.

11. Likes rene2kx likes this post
    Forum Sage
    It's nice for those that are still trying to decide on if they want to get into the next-gen.
    From the way you said it I thought you were saying the opposite. If that's what you meant then yeah....for someone who hasn't upgraded yet and Watch Dogs was the game they were waiting for to decide, this comparison can be a factor.

Forum Elder
    This game doesn't look like it's next gen on either system, or pc for that matter.. so a comparison isn't really telling the story.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Extreme Poster
    true that it may make some people jump but really...i kinda feel like it may give some people the impression that next-gen isn't that powerful...because the last-gen versions look fairly ok compared to them. for reasons certain peeps do not understand.

and well, if you already have next-gen then pshhh...things are pretty clear cut.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    just an FYI, in Canada there is a $10 difference between "last gen" and "current gen" games. Pretty ****ed up but whatever.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    I think last Gen versions hold up very well.
    Because the new gen is mostly about resolutions and framerates which is what I've been saying all along. There's hardly any games you see that are really only possible on the new gen systems yet. Both consoles held back on the hardware anyway with PC being ahead even now in their first 6 months on the market. The 360 was pretty close to PCs with the likes of Oblivion back in 2005/6. Lower framerates and resolutions sure but overall it was amazing for a console to pull off at the time and wouldn't have been possible on 6th gen systems.

And on the topic of price, any new PS3 release at this point should be $39/$49USD. I think Activision (of all the publishers lol) is actually starting to do this. They did it with Spidey 2 at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Dedicated Member
    Seeing comparisons like this i feel fine that i did NOT jump into the ps4/x1 generation early and i should stick with the ps3 a little longer. The watch dogs ps4 version surely looks better than ps3 but not 399 usd better. Yeah it's a cross gen game so it's not bound to look way better but even with the exclusives built from the ground up for ps4, i haven't been all that impressed so far. I'll let the ps4 mature a bit more before making the plunge.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Because the new gen is mostly about resolutions and framerates which is what I've been saying all along. There's hardly any games you see that are really only possible on the new gen systems yet. Both consoles held back on the hardware anyway with PC being ahead even now in their first 6 months on the market. The 360 was pretty close to PCs with the likes of Oblivion back in 2005/6. Lower framerates and resolutions sure but overall it was amazing for a console to pull off at the time and wouldn't have been possible on 6th gen systems.
    I personally feel both sony and microsoft should've held off the ps4 and x1 till november 2014 and come out with stronger hardware specs than they did.

Extreme Poster

And on the topic of price, any new PS3 release at this point should be $39/$49USD. I think Activision (of all the publishers lol) is actually starting to do this. They did it with Spidey 2 at least.
    there's too many things wrong with this post for me to reply to it.

20. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    I personally feel both sony and microsoft should've held off the ps4 and x1 till november 2014 and come out with stronger hardware specs than they did.
    ...I personally feel both sony and microsoft should've held off the ps4 and x1 till november 2015 and come out with stronger hardware specs than they did...

...I personally feel both sony and microsoft should've held off the ps4 and x1 till november 2016 and come out with stronger hardware specs than they did...

...I personally feel both sony and microsoft should've held off the ps4 and x1 till november 2017 and come out with stronger hardware specs than they did...

They can always hold off on releasing and keep upping the specs, but they have to release a console at some point.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    The game looks the same on PC, PS4, and XB1. Using this game to judge the consoles would be stupid. The hardware in the new consoles is just fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Extreme Poster
    guess why i complained about the comparison to begin with lol. point-in-case.

Super Elite
    Even with the more powerfull hardware in the PS4 compared to the One, there isn't that much difference. Does anybody know what the lead platform is for this game?
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    Even with the more powerfull hardware in the PS4 compared to the One, there isn't that much difference. Does anybody know what the lead platform is for this game?
    Most likely the PS3 or 360. The weaker platforms are 99% always the lead platform.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    Depends on what games youre talking about. Some games there isnt much difference and in other games the difference is very noticeable. At least that was my experience.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    there's too many things wrong with this post for me to reply to it.
    No surprise that you disagree. Name one game that's not possible on PS3 with some dumbing down like Oblivion on 360 which was impossible on PS2/Xbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    No surprise that you disagree. Name one game that's not possible on PS3 with some dumbing down like Oblivion on 360 which was impossible on PS2/Xbox.
    If it needs dumbing down then its not possible on PS3 or 360. Since the thread is about graphics.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 06-04-2014 at 18:31.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Depends on what games youre talking about. Some games there isnt much difference and in other games the difference is very noticeable. At least that was my experience.
    Yeah it's noticable in MGS:Ground Zeroes.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Thread Information