Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Jack Tretton: PS4 'a great redemption'

http://www.psu.com/a023461/Jack-Tret...at-redemption-

Jack Tretton, former President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), has spoken for the first time since resigning from his post with the electronics giant back in March.

Chatting with GI.biz, Tretton, who is now working at Genotaur, described the PlayStation 4 as Sony’s ‘great redemption’ as he reflects on his 19 years with the console maker.

"I did want to go out on top. I feel really good about where I left PlayStation with PS4 and I wish them the best of luck going forward," said Tretton.

"I spent 19 years with Sony and enjoyed it very much, but my original plan was three years and it just continued to get extended as the company was successful and I was successful. It just got to the point, especially with the success of PlayStation 4, that I'd done just about everything I could for them and I really wanted an opportunity to be more of a free agent as opposed to being dedicated to one platform and one company.

"It was really to have an opportunity to branch out into any form of entertainment or consumer products, and specifically in gaming to get more involved in different platforms and get involved in technology. That's where Genotaur came in, which is a great opportunity to work with some incredibly smart people and some great technology that ultimately will create an engine that's going to improve gaming for all platforms and all developers around the world if things go according to plan."

While admitting that he’s spent little time getting nostalgic over his former job since his resignation, Tretton was able to share a few highlights from his illustrious career.

The high point was that it was great to be part of establishing the PlayStation brand and really going into a very competitive market with Nintendo and Sega really splitting the market, and Sony having zero shelf space and very limited heritage in gaming to ultimately establishing that brand and bringing them to a leadership position. The most challenging time I think was establishing PlayStation 3 and establishing Blu-ray technology and the financial challenges that went along with the PS3. But that's where PlayStation 4 was such a great redemption. Figuring everything out and making that platform such a success quite frankly contributed to me being more comfortable with getting on to the rest of my career.”

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Nice to hear he is still happy for Sony,he was with them for a lot of years though, fair play to him!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

3. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Nice to hear he is still happy for Sony,he was with them for a lot of years though, fair play to him!
    Yep. Sounds like he left Sony on his own terms. Very nice to hear.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    What surprised me was his original plan was to be there 3yrs.

Master Guru
    It'll be strange not seeing Jack on stage for Sony at E3 this year. I already miss him.

PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    It'll be strange not seeing Jack on stage for Sony at E3 this year. I already miss him.
    Same here. Kinda feel sorry for this Shawn Layden dude. Big shoes to fill on that stage.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Same here. Kinda feel sorry for this Shawn Layden dude. Big shoes to fill on that stage.
    I dont think anybody can fill those shoes. Jack is the man.

9. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Layden has been with Sony for over 29 years (or was it 26?) And has been involved in plenty of wws games. He'll be ok

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Layden has been with Sony for over 29 years (or was it 26?) And has been involved in plenty of wws games. He'll be ok

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Let's hope he has the showmanship to match his experience. Be on the lookout for pit stains.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Sryche
    Items Guerrilla Gamesid Software
    I've met Jack a couple of times here in Honolulu at the PGA Tour's Sony Open in Hawaii Golf Tournament and have always found him to be super down to earth seems to have a really good work ethic---even with something like Golf (which he isn't the greatest at) he was always asking the pros for advice on how to get better. Definitely best of luck to him in whatever he does--stoked that he's staying in the gaming and entertainment industry.

"Don't Be Surprised If You Mind When You Find Me." ~ Life of Agony

Ultimate Veteran
    Playstation brand is back..

Forum Overseer

da **** is genotaur? lol. yeah, good luck with that you old senile fart.

Superior Member
    Love Jack, i'll def miss seeing him as he was one of the reasons of what i loved about Sonys presentation at E3.

"Redemption", lol, that word i only relate to one thing now. I just pictured Jack on a Horse.... heheheh

Thread Information