Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76
  1. #51
    Dedicated Member
    rene2kx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    14,036 (0 Banked)
    playground games collaborated with turn 10 for developing forza horizon 2, so they would have access to R&D from turn 10 all along.
    anyways, the lighting looks great from the vid, rest of the gfx just look okay.

  2. #52
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,568
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,243 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    playground games collaborated with turn 10 for developing forza horizon 2, so they would have access to R&D from turn 10 all along.
    those things help but the problem of cross-gen limitation has no cure...other than if they made it from scratch for both consoles, in which case it wouldn't be known as a cross-gen title and the two versions wouldn't be the same titles.
    anyways, the lighting looks great from the vid, rest of the gfx just look okay.
    there's no FH2 footage yet. that was FH1.

  3. #53
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i don't think he did a ninja edit, i get it now. it was just the wording that i assumed it was a video. especially because there was a video up on IGN on front page. could someone post the shots? .
    Ok, guess I misread it the same way. My apologies to you x2, my bad. You were right and I was wrong.

  4. #54
    Dedicated Member
    rene2kx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    14,036 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    those things help but the problem of cross-gen limitation has no cure...other than if they made it from scratch for both consoles, in which case it wouldn't be known as a cross-gen title and the two versions wouldn't be the same titles.
    there's no FH2 footage yet. that was FH1.
    well they'd have to develop two separate engines for that, which would mean more money and time, so instead they use the last engine as base and add bells n whistles to it for the current gen version. so yeah 'cross gen' limitation does persist partly.

    uh and was that fh1 gameplay on the ign vid? explains why it looked shabby in a lot of parts (other than the lighting).

  5. #55
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,568
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,243 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    ok....ok think I get what you mean in the last paragraph that the 360 version could be improved because its being concurrently made on the X1, I'm not sure I entirely agree with that as being a possible result of the cross development though.
    well, i only meant that as...say for example if TLOU was being developed for the PS3 and PS4 at the same time...depending on the developer, it's possible that the PS3 version would not have looked as good as it does now.

    reason being, 1) they don't have enough time to make both games (as much as they would making one). 2) they may not have enough budget. 3) they may end up focusing on the strengths of the PS4 and in theory, these strengths wouldn't translate well towards the PS3.

    ND is smart enough to know these problems and so it seems that they don't believe in making cross-gen games. they believe in upgrades. problem with upgrades is that the game is now done, all they can really do at this point is up the res and fps and some graphical effects, AF, AA etc.

    they can't add anything drastic like day/night cycle...i mean, they could but they'd have to spend more time to get that done, generally these things aren't done because then you'd have to put in elements in the game that would benefit from that feature...so you're essentially either going to go back to the drawing board and just remake the game entirely or just go with what you have and upgrade everything into higher quality assets.

    whereas if they were making TLOU for the PS3 and PS4 now (let's say TLOU is still in development), it's possible that we may have seen features in TLOU that aren't there now...because they could just use the PS4 as a base, build the game around it...of course, not as good as making it exclusively for the PS4 but they could focus on it...then translate those onto the PS3. you know, remove whatever they can't get to work, like if they are going to tessellation on the PS4 version, that obviously won't be there on the PS3 version.

    i know there are plenty of ways to make games work on lower powered computers...look at BF4. that's a great example of how scalable a game can get. yes, the lower end of the spectrum gets screwed over because again, it wasn't built for them...it's being thrown on them, ported. but it can work.

    so a TLOU coming out now being built at the same time for both PS3/PS4 could theoretically have the same effect, while the PS3 version would not have looked or ran as good as it does now, the PS4 version could've turned out better than it would now. i hope i make sense here.

    If there are elements of the game that run fine on both consoles, then the X1 is not being pushed hard. They can't develop any integral game play mechanic that leans hard into the compute functions of the GPU on the X1, say...realistic mass environmental damage which could affect racing/game play, as they wouldn't have the ability to replicate that on the 360.

    This is of course assuming there is going to be parity for the games.
    exactly. they could just not care about parity. they did that in BF4. the PS3 version of the maps are much smaller and much smaller player count. there are various effects missing, reduced, or entirely different.

    so that is bad for the PS3 but still better than redoing the PS3 version on the PS4...because that would mean that you're still getting the smaller game but just better looking. i think BF4 is a great example of that. if not perfect.[

    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    well they'd have to develop two separate engines for that, which would mean more money and time, so instead they use the last engine as base and add bells n whistles to it for the current gen version. so yeah 'cross gen' limitation does persist partly.

    uh and was that fh1 gameplay on the ign vid? explains why it looked shabby in a lot of parts (other than the lighting).
    basically, FH3 (assuming it doesn't support the 360) might end up looking twice as good as FH2. roughly but i firmly believe it may happen. of course, as time goes by, efficiencies will occur and games will naturally look better, but i personally believe that the differences going from cross-gen to exclusively next-gen (or even better, exclusive to a certain platform and focus being put on the console) would bring great visual/design differences.

    e.g. look at the difference between COD: Ghosts and the next iteration that was just revealed. Huge difference. why? Next COD isn't a cross-gen title.

  6. #56
    Dedicated Member
    rene2kx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    14,036 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    basically, FH3 (assuming it doesn't support the 360) might end up looking twice as good as FH2. roughly but i firmly believe it may happen. of course, as time goes by, efficiencies will occur and games will naturally look better, but i personally believe that the differences going from cross-gen to exclusively next-gen (or even better, exclusive to a certain platform and focus being put on the console) would bring great visual/design differences.

    e.g. look at the difference between COD: Ghosts and the next iteration that was just revealed. Huge difference. why? Next COD isn't a cross-gen title.
    that's of kind of like stating the obvious. the move away from last gen and focusing entirely on current gen platforms will make quite a bit difference, how much better is debatable. would also depend on the developer talent. but i don't think you'll see a complete move away from last gen for some more time yet, lots of people still hold onto their ps3/360's and there's money to made there for developers.

  7. #57
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,034
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    40,567 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    its quite strange that people are trying to ignore the above and are looking to add some cross-gen problem into the mix.
    No one's adding anything, there's nothing sinister at bay, it is a concern, and no one is ignoring that point above.

    FFS. There's no 'them vs us', grow up people.
    FARKING HELL.



    Anymore line of thinking/insinuations like this and consider yourselves warned.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  8. #58
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    19
    Points
    412,140 (0 Banked)
    Congrats to the XBO crew for having the one up on racers for now.
    I wanted Drive Club as it were last year before they decided to add all sorts of stuff to it.

    NOW pressure will be on to get it to 60fps and they may not be rewritting the engine to that extent with all the other things they have to do.

    At least MOTOGP2014 is due out any day now.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

  9. #59
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,568
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,243 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    that's of kind of like stating the obvious. the move away from last gen and focusing entirely on current gen platforms will make quite a bit difference, how much better is debatable. would also depend on the developer talent. but i don't think you'll see a complete move away from last gen for some more time yet, lots of people still hold onto their ps3/360's and there's money to made there for developers.
    it is the obvious but you'd be surprised how many people don't get it.

    people still hold their PS1s and PS2s...i think in a year or two, we won't see much support for 360/PS3. the problem is larger though, because many developers really don't update or better yet, build a new engine from scratch for the respective console.

    and so even though we're working with next-gen consoles, you might still see UE3 being used...you might still see developers using their older engines. all due to costs/benefits involved.

    first party have all the reasons to upgrade their engines or even build one from the scratch that all the teams can modify and use for their games. or just tools or whatever that they can make.

    but yeah, it's the market that drives it. but sometimes there's still a lag due to costs.

  10. #60
    Elite Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,251
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    8,442 (0 Banked)

    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...=social&page=2


    "Technical director Alan Roberts breezes through the ins-and-outs of a real-life optical phenomenon known as Rayleigh scattering, which is what causes both the vivid blue hue of the midday sky and the red and yellow tones of the sky at sunset. In a nutshell, the sky in Horizon 2 is blue because science dictates it, not because an artist glanced out a window and settled on the closest shade he or she could find."

    “This now means that we can simulate the way that light interacts with particles in the atmosphere,” says Roberts. “We no longer have to have artists picking the colour of the sky from a colour picker; we can model the amount of particles in the atmosphere and the sky and the lighting reacts accordingly.”

    “That’s how it works in real-life, and that’s exactly how it’s working here,” adds Penrose."
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

  11. #61
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,568
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    108,243 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    sounds exciting. the weather/atmosphere is always a great way to immerse someone into the game.

  12. #62
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Congrats to the XBO crew for having the one up on racers for now. I wanted Drive Club as it were last year before they decided to add all sorts of stuff to it. NOW pressure will be on to get it to 60fps and they may not be rewritting the engine to that extent with all the other things they have to do. At least MOTOGP2014 is due out any day now.
    I'm still very much looking forward to Drive Club. Until then PS4 doesnt have jack for racing games.

  13. #63
    PSU Live Streamer
    YoungMullah88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Posts
    14,277
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    31,916 (1,800 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I'm still very much looking forward to Drive Club. Until then PS4 doesnt have jack for racing games.
    But the crew and project cars

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  14. #64
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    But the crew and project cars Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    They arent out yet are they? I'm talking about right now.

  15. #65
    PSU Live Streamer
    YoungMullah88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Posts
    14,277
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    31,916 (1,800 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    They arent out yet are they? I'm talking about right now.
    I Guess so

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  16. #66
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    I Guess so Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    No guess so about it.

  17. #67
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    48
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    58
    Points
    1,415 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    That's fine and all, but how many cross gen games, separate teams or not, have we seen the difference be big (read, newer tech looking VASTLY better).

    I can't think of many/any.
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent Xbox vs. Splinter Cell: Double Agent 360. Not even the same game. The Xbox version was so much between the two with the 360 just looking better but not even having the same game play. Cross Gen, different teams working on the different versions.

  18. #68
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,034
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    40,567 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrews View Post
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent Xbox vs. Splinter Cell: Double Agent 360. Not even the same game. The Xbox version was so much between the two with the 360 just looking better but not even having the same game play. Cross Gen, different teams working on the different versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    That's fine and all, but how many cross gen games, separate teams or not, have we seen the difference be big (read, newer tech looking VASTLY better).

    I can't think of many/any.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  19. #69
    Elite Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,251
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    8,442 (0 Banked)
    Drivatars are back

    “It’s the same system [from Forza Motorsport 5]; all you have to do in Forza Horizon 2 is train your Drivatar to drive in the open-world,” says Fulton. “It already knows exactly how you take corners, where you brake, how you pass other cars from Forza Motorsport 5, and you can continue to train it to do those things in Forza Horizon 2.”
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

  20. Likes mistercrow likes this post
  21. #70
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,576
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    161,464 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Trailer is in the E3 videos thread
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...s-post-em-here

  22. #71
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    22,306
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    6,598 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I posted the trailer earlier in the Microsoft E3 forum. You know, if it's an exclusive, it deserves the exposure.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!


  23. #72
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,576
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    161,464 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah well exposure would be a bit of an overstatement with that trailer 2 seconds.
    Last edited by mynd; 06-07-2014 at 03:04.

  24. #73
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,937
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    27,970 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    that's because you don't understand what cross-gen means.
    oh, i know what it means. but dont let that stop you trying to find fault where there is none.

  25. #74
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,937
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    27,970 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Don't like cross gen - it's just hedging bets.. It's almost saying that devs don't have full confidence in the new systems at this point.
    its not saying that at all.

    its saying we have 2 consoles with gamers that will play the game. let 2 devs work on it and get the best out of each system. end of.

  26. #75
    PSU Live Streamer
    YoungMullah88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Posts
    14,277
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    31,916 (1,800 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    its not saying that at all.

    its saying we have 2 consoles with gamers that will play the game. let 2 devs work on it and get the best out of each system. end of.
    Just like titanfall Amrite?

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.