PSU Live Streamer

TotalBiscuit: The Great Framerate Non-Debate

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Already watched that and he makes perfect sense, Linus actually makes more sense though:

PSU Live Streamer
    Yea, was just coming here to post the vid from Linus

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Consistency is the key, not many games released thus far on new gen consoles have had a constant locked, never dropping 60FPS so naturally console gamers think that 30FPS is fine, when in actually fact its the consistency of the locked frame rate a la Killzone Shadow that makes things look and feel more smooth.

I hate motion blur in video games it always looks fake and does my eyes in its the first thing I turn off in video games.

Check this it, there are small clips of 30 vs 60FPS, don't lie.

http://www.30vs60.com
    Last edited by keefy; 06-03-2014 at 23:48.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Check this it, there are small clips of 30 vs 60FPS, don't lie.

http://www.30vs60.com
    That site does a good job of telling you HOW to see the difference. Just cover one image, watch the other for about 30secs. Then reverse. Start with the 30 then watch the 60. The difference becomes noticeable.

It's when you leave both open in equal view, watching at the sametime that it becomes more difficult. Unless your eyes have been trained long enough to notice.

Supreme Veteran
    A couple of the clips are crap to show the differences, project reaity one is quite hard to notice when viewing at the same time.
    Most of the time its noticeable when the player moves their aim left or right, 60FPS is smooth but 30FPS it has a slight judder.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-04-2014 at 03:25.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I game on PC and the only way for me to know what my FPS is is to boot up fraps
    for the record, anywhere from 30-60 depending on the game and what i set the settings to.

just saying im not that into competition, personally prefer the experience more than gaming for gaming sake

that's not to say i don't "notice" smoother fps, but im not really too fussed. If a major element of a story is unfolding, i won't be sitting there counting frames going "nooo the impact of this important event is lessened by 45hz refresh!!!".

1080p30 for console is fine, they have obvious limits to hardware and subsequently must work within them (personally, i think the industry is better off having this cap forcing devs to be creative and strive for new efficient techniques).

each to his own i guess
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSU Live Streamer
    @Fijian
    I agree. Even now that I've recently begun gaming on PC more than my consoles. I have no issues playing at 30fps. It's nice to know that seeing as I finally have upgraded my pc I have a choice in the matter as to which version of a game I'll grab a copy of. But if my old pc didn't kersplode a couple months ago, I'd have been perfectly fine still playing my games on my console at the lower spec.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Well there are some genres that I feel require no less than 60FPS - racing being one of them. I used to play racing games at about ~20FPS with all the bells and whistles on. The problem I had when doing this was that I would rarely catch a slide before a spin. Subsequently I started lowering detail to get over 80FPS and now I can almost catch every single slide and correct the car appropriately. The difference in motion at ~120FPS and 30FPS makes for a much more pleasing picture and, IMHO, better image quality. It might sound strange that IQ would be better at a higher FPS with graphics turned down a bit but it makes such a big difference as the image feels a lot more natural. Also the input lag is significantly lower at a higher FPS.

Other genres that I feel require a high FPS are fighting games, FPS games and any genre that requires precision and timing. Adventure games though you can get away with as they're much slower paced.

Forum Elder
    Totally agree and I'm a bit worried about driveclub.

When you are playing Need for Speed rivals and you're sitting still the picture is beautiful, as soon as you start driving up the road everything round you is way too blurry.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    I game on PC and the only way for me to know what my FPS is is to boot up fraps
    for the record, anywhere from 30-60 depending on the game and what i set the settings to.

just saying im not that into competition, personally prefer the experience more than gaming for gaming sake

that's not to say i don't "notice" smoother fps, but im not really too fussed. If a major element of a story is unfolding, i won't be sitting there counting frames going "nooo the impact of this important event is lessened by 45hz refresh!!!".

1080p30 for console is fine, they have obvious limits to hardware and subsequently must work within them (personally, i think the industry is better off having this cap forcing devs to be creative and strive for new efficient techniques).

each to his own i guess
    Nobody counts the frames they just notice it because it looks jittery and strobe like and also they feel the difference in the controls with input lags then switch on the FPS counter to find out it is 47FPS or whatever.
    Or is that jus tme?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    Totally agree and I'm a bit worried about driveclub.

When you are playing Need for Speed rivals and you're sitting still the picture is beautiful, as soon as you start driving up the road everything round you is way too blurry.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    I think as long as drive club is locked to 30 FPS and never dips it will be OK. GT5 was 60FPS I but it did drop when in the slow corners when lot of AI were on screen and it was very noticeable.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-04-2014 at 18:25.

Thread Information