Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style

51 DRIVECLUB details that might just blow your mind

weather
    1. NASA data was used to accurately map out the night sky – so wherever you are in the world you’ll see the correct star constellations for your location.
    2. If you’re lucky, you’ll get to see the northern lights – it’s possible to see the aurora borealis from the northern tracks in Norway, Scotland and Canada.
    3. All clouds are full 3D models to ensure accurate light diffusion from the sun. They’re calculated at massive distances in a fully volumetric form, so thin clouds cast lighter shadows than dense storm clouds, and their colour impacts the feel of the landscapes and cars.
    4. Skies are uniquely generated every time you play, so just like in real life you’ll never see the same sky twice. Unless you’re replaying somebody’s challenge, in which case it’ll replicate exactly to ensure a level playing field.
    5. You can play with settings to speed up or slow down the day/night cycle. With some circuits taking over a couple of minutes per lap, at 60x accelerated speed with a judicious choice of start time, it’s possible to experience two sunrises and sunsets in one race. Both of which will be completely different to each other.
    6. Clouds react dynamically to different wind speeds. This is then converted into a ground wind speed which accurately interacts with all vegetation, overhead cables and other environmental features, based on their height from the ground.
    7. Waves and rippling on the surface of lakes is dynamically linked to wind speed, which affects how clear reflections are in the water.
      The environment
    8. High resolution NASA data was used to accurately map landscapes and mountain formations – which were then tweaked to ‘improve’ on their natural beauty and make them perfect for high-speed racing.
    9. The team spent weeks out on location and covered a minimum of 200km every day to get a feel for each country’s roads and atmosphere. They captured thousands of photos and recordings along the way, in all weather conditions and different times of day.
    10. Road tarmac textures are hand-modelled rather than tiled or tessellated. Stones and bitumen are all placed and then rendered procedurally to give realistic surface detail with huge visual variety and no repeating detail on any road surface.
    11. Each location has a draw distance of up to 200km to the horizon and even simulates the curvature of the earth in both skies and terrain. Distant landscapes are built out and fully modelled, instead of ‘painted on’, to ensure that they support the dynamic, volumetric nature of the skies and lighting.
    12. All environmental light sources are independently generated with different properties. The team sampled the colour and intensity of individual streetlights, house lights and even camera flash bulbs, which you’ll see best in any of the Indian tracks at night.
      Flora and fauna
    13. Some tracks boast over 1.2 million road-side trees – and this number keeps going up as the artists try to out-do each other as development progresses.
    14. There are over 100 different varieties of trees, bushes, mosses and flowers. The team consulted botanists at Kew Gardens to learn which plants would naturally grow in each location.
    15. Wildlife is realistically tied into the day/night cycle. You’ll see flies and butterflies only during the day, and moths and bats only at night.
    16. One of the India tracks features a tea plantation with a sprinkler system that turns off and on at set times during the day.
    17. The Chungara Lake track boasts a 19,000-strong flock of pink flamingos, all behaving independently of each other.
    18. …and look out for the seagulls in Scotland, roosting crows in Norway, Canadian geese and vultures in Chile!
    19. Spectators are placed in realistic spots where they would feasibly enjoy a good view of the race. This is done by hand, by Neil Sproston, a senior track designer who’s a real life race enthusiast. Neil regularly clambers over walls and fences in pursuit of a good viewing spot for a real life race. Duly, Evo leveraged his expertise!
    20. Spectators dress for the weather – if it’s a cold night, expect them to be sporting hats and gloves.
      The cars
    21. A typical DRIVECLUB car is made up of 260,000 polygons. The staggeringly detailed cars you see in promo videos are the same models you drive in the game – they’re not pre-rendered CG versions.
    22. Each car takes approximately seven months to create - from initial licensing, reference collation, CAD data processing, asset production, physics modelling, through to the final car in-game.
    23. Evolution snapped in excess of 1,000 photos of the interior and exterior of every car as part of the reference gathering.
    24. Pagani employ seamstresses to accurately match up the symmetrical carbon weave on the cars bodywork, and even add the ‘Pagani’ name to their small screw heads. These nuances are accurately reproduced in-game.
    25. The same 3D CAD (Computer Aided Design) engineering data that the manufacturer uses to factory produce each vehicle has been used by the development team to create each car.
    26. More than 500 different material types are available to designers to apply to the vehicles.
    27. The cars have realistic layered paint materials – base metal or carbon layer, primer coat, base colour coat, two metallic paint coats, clear top coat, etc. – which can all be stripped away individually as part of the damage system.
    28. A full shader-driven procedural system is used to simulate car damage. Multiple layers of scratches appear in the most exposed areas and edges, revealing undercoat and bare metal or carbon. A parallax mapped dent layer provides minor crumpling, and a physics driven vertex deformation system is used for severe damage.
    29. As you race, dirt and dust gradually builds up on the car, subtly altering its appearance.
    30. Screen space reflections (SSR) are being used together with real time dynamic light probes to render vehicle lighting and reflections more accurately, as opposed to using outdated pre-baked cubes.
    31. The car dashboard reflects onto the windscreen in bright light; and the car exterior reflects onto carbon interior panels.
    32. Anisotropic lighting is used to simulate the effect of each individual thread in carbon fibre weave. The pattern of the carbon alters realistically with the lighting angle and surface curvature.
    33. Headlights are modelled using multiple layers of reflectors and lenses that realistically reflect and refract the bulbs shining beneath.
    34. Rainbow specular highlight effects can be seen in headlight lenses because thin film interference is utilised.
    35. Animated active aero flaps are rigged up accurately and coupled with the physics system to operate exactly as they would in real life. The Pagani Huayra is one of the best examples of this.
    36. Conversion of kinetic energy to heat is physically modelled to accurately render the temperature and glow colour of brake discs.
    37. The speedometer displays have been accurately reproduced for every car in terms of visuals, technical display output and behaviour (again, all hooked up to the in-game physics).
      Audio
    38. Each reference car was fitted with at least 16 separate microphones to authentically capture the sounds of the engine from 360 degrees, inside and outside of the car. Some had four mics on the exhaust alone.
    39. In-game, the engine sound reacts to your perspective. Pan around a stationary car gunning its engine and the sound shifts with the camera position (relative to where the engine is).
    40. When you race, the engine sounds are different based on which of the six camera views you choose – inside or outside of the car. You’re not hearing the same engine audio with a filter – it’s all recorded separately.
    41. The recordings were so accurate that BMW and Mercedes-Benz AMG requested copies to replace their existing library.
    42. In many cases, Evolution’s audio captures are the most high definition recordings of these cars in existence.
    43. Bespoke sound effects were recorded for every action in the game. You won’t hear a single stock sample.
      Handling and physics
    44. Although not a sim, DRIVECLUB’s handling model is based on real world physics, using technical data about performance provided directly by the manufacturers.
    45. To fine-tune the performance of every vehicle, a virtual “rolling road” test is used to check acceleration, top speed, weight distribution and braking performance.
    46. Aerodynamics are physically modelled. For example, activating DRS on the McLaren P1 affects the levels of downforce to increase top speed and acceleration.
    47. Evolution worked closely with Thrustmaster to get the best possible feel on all their wheels. When using a supported wheel you get 1:1 movement between the steering wheel in your hands and the steering wheel in-game.
      Artificial intelligence
    48. The AI drivers adapt their racing tactics and braking strategy based on pressure from players or other drivers. When alongside them, they will try to brake deeper into the corner.
    49. AI drivers always try to predict overtaking opportunities based on the track, the performance of their car relative to opponents, and also how opponents are driving at any given moment.
    50. When an AI driver has a car with KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) fitted, they will use the energy strategically at opportune moments to pass or block opponents on the track.
      Load times
    51. Despite all of the above, once selected a track will take no more than 15 seconds to load.
    Source: EU PS Blog
    I can understand the love gone into making the game absolutely gorgeous and full of variety but now I know where the extra 30FPS has gon: clouds, flamingos and scenery you'll never ever see in detail!

All-in-all this has told me one thing, this game is woefully optimised. Still though I'm going to buy this game as it's the kind of game I'll be playing for a long time.

2. Likes daLa likes this post
    Forum Elder
    All I can say is wow.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A lot of interesting info.

Ultimate Veteran
    That's really cool.

I remember when I finally got my hands on a PS3 and MotorStorm after obsessing over it since its E3 debut and I was blown away by the visuals and challenging A.I. It was my first time playing a game by Evolution Studios. Then I played through the sequel, Pacific Rift, which was even more impressive.

Glad to see Evolution Studios tackling their vision with Driveclub. It sounds like we're in for some amazing experiences with the PS4.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 08-20-2014 at 21:05.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Wow my hat is off to Evolution Studios. That's really epic.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    still not 60fps though

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    still not 60fps though
    Lol!

My hype level for this is through the roof!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Wow! That is some insane detail. No wonder it was delayed.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Audio
    Each reference car was fitted with at least 16 separate microphones to authentically capture the sounds of the engine from 360 degrees, inside and outside of the car. Some had four mics on the exhaust alone.
    In-game, the engine sound reacts to your perspective. Pan around a stationary car gunning its engine and the sound shifts with the camera position (relative to where the engine is).
    When you race, the engine sounds are different based on which of the six camera views you choose – inside or outside of the car. You’re not hearing the same engine audio with a filter – it’s all recorded separately.
    The recordings were so accurate that BMW and Mercedes-Benz AMG requested copies to replace their existing library.
    In many cases, Evolution’s audio captures are the most high definition recordings of these cars in existence.
    Bespoke sound effects were recorded for every action in the game. You won’t hear a single stock sample.
    This is how audio should be done. Yea yea fancy awesome graphics but if the sounds are crap it will not feel like you are racing.

11. Likes Lebowski , TidalPhoenix likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Sounds like they expect you to spend more time admiring the scenery then racing the cars
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Sounds like they expect you to spend more time admiring the scenery then racing the cars
    I'll actually probably spend a bunch of time in the wall trying to see all this stuff. Lol

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    They have to include a photo mode at some stage, they just have to.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    All Sony first party titles should include photomode

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Banned
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    This is how audio should be done. Yea yea fancy awesome graphics but if the sounds are crap it will not feel like you are racing.
    Amen.

"Sound is 50% of everything you see" - some video editor bloke from my past whose name I've forgotten

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

PSU Writer
    PSN ID
    Like4ONinjaz
    This list has made me want this game more than any of the trailers actually.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    They gave more than any nerd can ask, and this is all I need. This maybe the only racing game I am going to buy.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    Amen.

"Sound is 50% of everything you see" - some video editor bloke from my past whose name I've forgotten
    I would argue even for 51%. Sure, cinematography and story matters a lot in a film and in a tv show, but if you have $#@!ty sound, people will notice right away. And you don't have to be a sound guy for this, like myself. It's one of the senses of the human. So when it sounds abnormal, when you see lips moving or action, but the sound comes too early or too late, it feel unnatural and terrible. With animated movies, tv shows and videogames, you can kinda get away with it being a little out of sync since it's not real and it's hard to judge precise lip movement. But I'll be damnned if there aren't some terrible audio sync issues in some games I've played. Particularly some JRPG's or games with a lot of dialogue.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on an easy, I'm super excited about audio cause I work in film and the audio details for Drive Club sound very promising and a lot more impressive than Gran Turismo. Could this be the next best racing series that will replace Gran Turismo? Seems like they're doing everything right.

Ultimate Veteran
    Volumetric clouds excite me. We need volumetric explosions in PS4 games too.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 06-09-2014 at 03:09.

Dedicated Member
    But the thing is they are having to sacrifice half the framerate in order to achieve that sh1t. Can't say the thought of a 30 fps racing game really excites me. Racing games should all be locked at 60 fps by now. 60 fps feels so much smoother in handling. Like, wipeout hd fury on ps3 (1080p60) felt on a different level compared to 30 fps racers. Hell i was dreaming to see some 120 fps racers next generation.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Right....i see no issues with arcade racers being locked at 30fps. Now if GT6-7, forza 6, pcars started cutting framerate then that'll be an issue. Driveclub, forza horizon, the crew, need for speed, midnight Club (can't wait for this rockstar) can get away by being 30fps because they're really not a sim

Dedicated Member
    Matters not if it's sim or arcade. To me FR is priority in a racer, other visual/technical aspects are secondary. The example i cited above, wipeoud hd isn't a sim but it feels like a whole different game with its sixty fps compared to other 30 fps arcadey racers.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    Matters not if it's sim or arcade. To me FR is priority in a racer, other visual/technical aspects are secondary. The example i cited above, wipeoud hd isn't a sim but it feels like a whole different game with its sixty fps compared to other 30 fps arcadey racers.
    Ok

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    That must suck, I barely notice the difference with 30FPS vs 60FPS.
    As long as it's locked at 30 and no frames visibly drop I don't care.

That said, I prefer Motorstorm and Burnout over any other racers.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    Just to much

Ultimate Veteran
    Re-reading this again and I thought it was interesting that distant landscapes were fully modeled rather than painted on (the latter of which is prominent in CGI).

Thread Information