Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

PlayStation 5 and next-gen Xbox might launch sooner than you think

The next Xbox and the PlayStation 5 may be already in the making, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Office of AMD Devinder Kumar seemed to suggest on Tuesday at a Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Technology Conference, without providing any specific details.

AMD’s processor technology powers the last-gen consoles you can already, including Sony’s PS4, Microsoft’s Xbox One and Nintendo’s Wii U. For the first two, AMD built custom APUs that contain both the processor and the graphics processing unit, The GPU in the Wii U is also an AMD chipset.

When asked about his views on the game console market and sales, Kumar revealed that the company’s clients may already be thinking of next-gen products, hinting that the next-generation Xbox or PlayStation 5 could be release much sooner than people expect.

“The life cycle of the products are probably going to be shorter,” Kumar said. “Our customers are already thinking about what comes next. These are long life cycle products and as you know in the semi-custom space, you start with — three years before you introduce a product, a decision is made to use a particular company. In this case it was AMD. And then you go ahead and co-develop the product with the funding dollars frankly, mostly coming from our customers. And then when you introduce the product, there is really no expenses from R&D standpoint, no sales and marketing dollars and whatever dollars you generate from a gross margin dollar standpoint, falls to the bottom-line and that’s what excites us.”
    The AMD executive further said that AMD’s “very strong execution in the semi-custom” market has opened some important doors for AMD, helping it secure significant deals for future products, although it’s not clear whether they’re related to gaming or not. What Kumar did say was that the new product “wins” are in markets it’s already participating in, but also in new ones, and the company may make new announcements later this year.

“It’s not just, continuing just with the game console in the next generation, what do you do, but the aperture, I guess is increasing. And the engagement with the customers is very active across many different areas,” the exec said.

The Xbox One and the PS4 were launched eight and seven years after the Xbox 360 and the PS3 hit stores, respectively.
    https://bgr.com/2014/06/05/playstati...n-xbox-launch/

I figure Mark Cerny/SCEI and AMD are already in discussions behind the scenes about planning (not yet developing) the APU for next generation.

I would also imagine there's a very decent chance of PlayStation 5 and a nextgen (gaming focused) Xbox getting released around Fall / Holiday 2018.

The ability to handle conventional games in 4K Ultra HD resolution and with enough spare GPU performance to handle the framerate / refresh requirements of VR@ 1080p combined with future game engines / graphics / rendering techniques, especially PS5 could very easily become more & more important as we start to get 4 and 5 years beyond 2013.

So five years after PS4 and Xbox One launch is the soonest that is reasonable for all parties (console makers, chip makers, 1st party devs, 3rd party devs, gamers, consumers, etc etc) If not Fall 2018, then most likely Fall 2019, or six years, and before the close of this decade, just before 2020.

If next gen consoles launch in 2018 or 2019, five or six years after PS4/Xbox One, that would be a "traditional" or "normal" console cycle in length.

It is not as if the next generation of consoles would be getting released just 3 or 4 years after the new ones we just got last fall.

However, they will have to begin the process of being in full development starting in in a year or two. The early brainstorming and very earliest R&D, at least by the company(s) that design the CPU/GPU chip architectures would already be underway as we speak (or type LoL).

Not counting Nintendo since nobody knows what they'll do next or where their next console will "fit", the PlayStation 5 and other "9th generation" consoles are not coming out anytime in the short term or mid term future.

3-4 years between consoles is too short. 5 years is the bare minimum. 6 years seems just about right. 7 years is really stretching it and 8 years is just too long, as many of us recently experienced going from Xbox 360 in 2005 to a PS4 or Xbox One in 2013.
    Last edited by parallax scroll; 06-07-2014 at 23:16. Reason: tidied that up for ya! :)

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    We get this at the start of every gen. Do you expect the hardware guys to just sit around for two or three years before they get to work?

3. Likes DarkNemesis, TAZ427, Omar likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Think I shall get all the enjoyment out of the PS4 before I even start to think about the PS5
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Forum Sage
    ....lol we haven't even got started with this gen yet to be talking about the next one!

Master Sage
    6-7 years is a good amount of time.

Apprentice
    There will be no physical next gen console. It will all be cloud driven.

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

8. Likes TidalPhoenix likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crosspjc View Post
    Do agree that there will probably be a game streaming option, not sure if internet providers will be at a point where every one could stream or what ever. Maybe 2 lines, console with new hardware that can stream also, and a much cheaper stream only box. Then maybe Gen after that stream only, or more emphasis on streaming.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

Brmmm brmmmm

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    As mush as i dislike the cloud, this looks increasingly likely.

Fiber is starting it's reach across developed countries, and by the time the next-gen is a thing, cloud based hardware will be a critical point of discussion for those who make these decisions.

It's even more evident when you look at how safe the PS4 and XB1 are. PS360 were alien tech from the planet Neptune when they launched. These APU's lack the same bite. Theoretically, the CellBE still beats the 2xJaguar CPU in the PS4....

You can also look at what is currently happening with media services PSnow, Steam in house streaming, PS4's vita streaming. Networks are getting utilised in ways not seen before and as they continue to grow, so too will the need for console to shift in that direction.

Who knows, the PS4 could very well be the PS5.....
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    Like cellphones, we'll get one a year soon. Poor clueless consumer.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

Brmmm brmmmm
    i like these posts from you better, they compliment my mainstream sensibility.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    If we get new consoles in 4 to 5 years. I think I will be done with consoles and go PC full time.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    If we get new consoles in 4 to 5 years. I think I will be done with consoles and go PC full time.
    it's not going to happen.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Heard this last gen like a year after release... yeah that worked out so much sooner than we thought.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Dedicated Member
    This is not news really. Sony and MS being in talks with amd regarding new hardware plans, happens every generation.

Apprentice

[longass post, just some random thoughts of my own, wish I could EDIT and space things out, sorry]

I think in 5.5 years (around November 2019) we will all be buying PlayStation5s and DualShock5s, if they haven't all been pre-ordered and sold out after being revealed earlier in the year.

Sony will probably have a much more refined next-gen version of Project Morpheus VR. Don't think Oculus VR / FaceBook will sit still with VR tech. To do VR "right" on the current PS4 at 60 FPS, will demand a large amount of the power it has. For PS4 VR games, expect the graphics to be only a bit better than the very best PS3 games, but at 60 FPS and 1080p.

Devs will be getting near the most that they can out of PS4 much sooner than they did with PS3 because PS4 is SO very much easier to develop for.

The overall U.S. / NA and worldwide penetration of 4K Ultra HD sets will be much, much more significant than it is now and very cheap (some sets are already under $1000 USD).

If either 4K or VR takes off (nevermind both) then there will be demand and cries for much more powerful consoles in general (just by devs alone) long before 2020.

Nintendo will likely be the first out the gate with a new console (and handheld) in the 2016 ~ 2017 timeframe as they're well into development now (started R&D in 2012 when Iwata merged hardware R&D teams).

If Nintendo's next console sells well (not even outstanding) but decently enough in 2016/17, don't expect Microsoft and Sony to just around twiddling their thumbs for 5 more years without bringing out consoles to bury Nintendo in the mud again before it can get too entrenched.

PS4 and XBone are both based on AMD X86 CPU and Radeon GCN architectures, it will be very easy for both the next gen Xbox and PlayStation to be backwards compatible with XBone and PS4, with much better performance than today's consoles.

By PC standards in mid 2014 even the PS4 (as good as it is) is only like a mid range gaming PC of 2012. That is fine, consoles have to run cool, be reliable, draw a modest amount of power, and cost no more than $399. PS4 is pretty ideal for that considering the timeline it was developed (2008 ~ 2012) and when it came out (fall 2013).

With that said, PS4 was not built to go a full 10 years without a successor on the market during the 5th or 6th year, or so. PS3 will be around in fall 2016 after 10 years, still being sold and supported, but PS4 will be 3 years old by then. By fall 2016, I believe SCEI and especially Mark Cerny will have a very good and clear idea of exactly what a near-final PS5 should be hardware wise if PS5 launches 2 or 3 years later in fall 2018 or 2019.

This was not the case when the industry went from Xbox 360/Xenon to XBone and PS3/CELL to PS4.

Both AMD, and of less importance to consoles, Nvidia, *each* have like 3 entirely different GPU architecture generation in some form of development, concurrently. i.e. Nvidia: [Kepler is current since 2012], Maxwell, Pascal, Volta.

Each of those upcoming and farther off architectures represents many different cards at different price points and performance levels for 2+ years on the market between generations.

Listen to AMD's conference webcast http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74...tId=5152619AMD CFO Devinder Kumar hinting as strongly as he possibly could, without violating customer confidentiality, AMD has already won several major design wins, with a few more wins in the pipeline for next year.

All of those design wins, of course , are or will be for products that we won't see for a year or more, and other products that are even further off in time.

He said this console cycle will be shorter than last. Of course that confirms absolutely nothing at this point, but don't for an instant think it doesn't mean AMD has, or has in the works, contracts for more than one next generation game platform (probably Nintendo's first, and *potentially Sony & MS much later) be it dedicated gaming handhelds or home consoles.

All of this is standard operating procedure for the game industry. It is of no surprise. Should be expected. Nothing to debate whether it might be happening. Not not a matter of if, just when, and exactly when will not be truly known until years from now.
    Last edited by parallax scroll; 06-07-2014 at 22:27.

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    We will never see another console as we've known them

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    it's not going to happen.
    I hope it doesn't happen, I want to enjoy these new consoles for about 6 years before I think of new consoles.

Apprentice

YAY, finally, I can edit and space properly. Google Chrome is giving me problems, switched to Opera.

Master Sage
    Sales will go down the toilet as only 10-15% of the worlds population might have a decent connection to handle that.

Apprentice

That most likely will not happen in time for the very next-generation of consoles after PS4.

[just thinking out loud here, not replying to anyone specifically]

Internet speeds in the United States are, for the most part, not good enough to handle that without severe compression and lag for many types of games. NEXT GEN Call of Duty, Battlefield X streaming over even a somewhat-improved Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, etc for millions of people at any given time? I don't think so!

I don't see the current internet infrastructure being good enough, coast to coast, for the vast majority of people, by say, the year 2020 ( a whole 7 years after PS4 launch mind you) unless a huge portion of the population has access to something like a 10 Gigabit / Internet2 connection for a similar price to what current high speed internet costs now. That or Google starts massively expanding rollouts of Google Fiber to every large, medium and small city over the next 5+ years.

Maybe all cloud-driven consoles will happen NEXT-NEXT gen, sometime between 2025 and 2030, but it seems highly unlikely in the reasonably foreseeable future.

From what I have gathered from maybe 2-3 total hours of googling / reading over the last several years (re: very little) on the subject --Today the extremely high-bandwidth, low-latency Internet2 or 10Gigabit connections are limited to governments / military, universities, scientific / industrial, medical fields, etc. etc.

Perhaps not so much unlike how today's "regular" internet was not really widely used by most people until the mid-late 1990s -- And that was roughly 10-15 years after home computers of various formats were available, worldwide

Not just IBM compatible PCs but Apple computers / Apple Macs, Atar STsi, Commodore C64 / Amigas plus various 8/16-bit computers from NEC, Sharp, Fujitsu etc) in the U.S./ NA, the UK, Europe, Japan, etc.

^Meaning home computers of any kind that were technically capable of supporting even the slowest and most "old fashioned" modems and dial-up connection, far slower than the 56K or even 28K Yeah I know, the World Wide Web was not invented til the early 90s, but still, the underlying internet existed (e-mail, USENET, Bulletin Board Services (BBSs), "online services" like CompuServe, Prodigy, America Online, et.) during the 1970s and 1980s.

Back to current consoles, we're not even done with optical disc media this new, current PS4 generation. Even if disc-based media disappears with PS5 and its competitors, don't expect the CPU / GPU / APU / RAM / Etc hardware to disappear, as well. Not gonna happen within the next five to eight years (a span of time most everyone could agree PS5 / XBnext will happen).

One step at a time, right?

I think streaming PS3 games on PS4 via PlayStation Now is one thing. That's just an optional premium service. It's cool and all even if it works well, just don't expect a massive improvement of our current internet speeds to happen for the a huge part of the population, PLUS, untold Billions getting invested in CPU/graphics data centers to process incredibly complex games on the fly for each person.

I know there are things like Nvidia Grid, but they are only doing trials of it right now, for industrial/commercial/scientific purposes, not video games. Not yet anyway, and not in 5-6 years time for PS5.

In general, let us all have this conversation again after 2020, a year or more after next gen PS5-era consoles are in people's homes.
    Last edited by parallax scroll; 06-08-2014 at 03:30.

Selected Members Council
    I can't see a fully digital future for video games. I think physical and digital are meant to coexist, rather than replace one another.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 06-08-2014 at 03:41.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Dedicated Member
    I don't see a cloud only console next gen, i don't even see sony dispensing with a blu-ray drive. blu-ray makes money for them. i remember some people prior to this generation were shouting off with confidence that ps4 won't have a physical odd.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    I don't see a cloud only console next gen, i don't even see sony dispensing with a blu-ray drive. blu-ray makes money for them. i remember some people prior to this generation were shouting off with confidence that ps4 won't have a physical odd.
    Very small minority maybe, but most everyone expected physical media to continue into this gen. There is a lot of money behind physical media in the console gaming industry and frankly, there is still demand for it. The idea that the PS4 would not have it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If we learned anything from prior to the start of this generation it is that there is still demand for physical media and the ability to trade, share, or resell it. After the X1 debacle, console makers are going to be wary of any single source digital distribution model and the possible backlash that it could bring.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Ultimate Veteran
    Iam sure they all ready started working on the next consoles they alleys so this they started ps3 and 360 a year after ps2 and xbox where out dont mean ps4 will be in the stores for 4 years they built it for the long haul

Thread Information