Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: 1440p vs 4K

Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

1440p vs 4K

I'm looking to be buying a new monitor next month *hopefully*. Now I'm a frame rate $#@! who believes more is better so it was going to take a lot for me to switch from my old trusty 1080p 120Hz display. Once you go 120Hz it's hard to go back to 60Hz.

Rewind a few months and ASUS announced the ROG swift. A 27" 2560x1440 screen with both 120Hz and Nvidia G-Sync. It's supposed to be $800 so I'll pay up to 600 to get it on my desk so I can experience sharper images and never experience screen tearing again!

I keep checking my favourite websites and today I saw a 28" 4K Samsung screen got 500 and it got me thinking. Should I go for 4K and ultimate visuals or 1440p for sharp images and perfect gaming refresh rates?

I'm leaning towards the ASUS display as I don't think I could go back down to 60Hz for my gaming. 120Hz is super smooth and hard to leave.

Either way, whatever I buy I will need another GPU as it's either double or quadrupole my current resolution.

Exciting times

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    1440 is a nice bump over 1080 and G-sync is great for making games appear more fluid and eliminate tearing.
    The problem with 4K is half the programs and things you actually do on your PC will be a blocky blurry mess or for websites they'll have huge blank spaces left and right. Until software comes up to scratch for 4K which would be another 1 year or 2 1440P is plenty good enough.

- Posting from a 32' 720p Bravia

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage

That's a very good point regarding software and the internet. That would drive me insane.

I'm 99% sure I'll be going for the monitor with G-Sync as I always said I wouldn't go down from 120Hz but seeing a 4K monitor at probably less than I'll pay piqued my interest.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    The reason I post from a 32' Bravia firstly is for space, I can PC and console game well on 1 set, secondly it has a beautiful picture quality and colour, beyond that it has great viewing angles for LCD because I sit so close.

Another thing you have to look out for is in these 1440p+ sets is viewing angles because they become so large that while your head is focused in the middle the edges can very easily darken on a poor display.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I have been toying with UHD for a few months now and I am thinking of taking the plunge. Sell my triple screen setup and get this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=17&catid=1895

The stats on this monitor seems to be too good to be true so I'll be waiting to see what others say about it first. If I do get that though I'll also be needing a new GFX card of which I will be wanting to take another big plunge - a Titan Z, the CUDA performance on that makes my mouth water.

Also regarding Nvidia and UHD screens, the Nvidia CP splits the screen in 4 automatically for desktop applications, so essentially you can easily tile 4x 1920x1080 windows.

Forum Sage

Viewing backed aren't a massive concern as I'll always be sat right infront of it. But that's a good point about the edges.

That looks decent, Varsh. I'm just not sure how i feel about the 60hz. You have 120hz screens so you know what the difference between 60 and 120 feels like.

I'll just be getting another 780 for me

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Are there any 120Hz IPS screens

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The fastest (and only) IPS screen you'll get above 60Hz is the Eizo FG2421. It's not an IPS display as such but it's an MVA display and it's got a turbo engine to push the hertz range to 240! You can check out a review of it at TFT Central and the cost of it at Amazon is close to 500.

Forum Sage

Yeah IPS maxed out at 60Hz though there are some Korean models you can overclock. Not appealing to me though

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    MVA is the best of both worlds really, high response time with great colour and viewing angles of an IPS screen. They have much deeper blacks than an IPS too and a higher contrast of any type of display out there. The only problem with MVAs is generally the not quite as accurate colour range on the Delta e.

PSU Live Streamer
    My pc gaming setup has output to a monitor and a tv, both 1080p. When the day comes that either of those screens die, I'll likely be going 4k tv and 1440p monitor for the reasons above. I game and stream video to my tv/couch, while using my monitor/desk for other apps.

But who knows what screens will be like by the time I'm ready to upgrade. This is just what I'd do today if stuff started breaking down on me.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Sage

Not a bad plan Shepard. Yeah I think I'll hopefully get this ASUS Swift.

I'll keep checking Overclockers every day next month haha. Can't wait to experience the resolution and G-Sync. Should be pretty tasty.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Extreme Poster
    gonna say this without looking into it. any time new tech comes out, it's crap. considering 4K is kind of an overkill on a monitor, depends on how big the monitor is...i would not want anything larger than 22", at most...24. 4K is overkill.

i'd say go for 4K on a big screen, i would love that myself but i'd be skeptical of the 4K TVs right now, unless you're willing to spend a lot.

so go for 1440p for now, it's better than 1080p and imo probably will last a long time for monitors because they're so small.

you also have to keep in mind that you're not going to be running everything at 4K and 1440p would already be killing your GPU with next-gen games. on a monitor, i would prefer 1080p with the highest visuals with at least 60fps on a PC...if i had the hardware.

Forum Sage

22" is too small for me. My current screen is 23 and feels a bit on the small side.

The 1440p is 27" and the 4K is 28" so there isn't much in it just the 4K has a superior PPI, obviously.

Well I've done my home work over the last few months and 2 of my GPU's would run games at 1440p ultra settings with ease so that's not too much of a problem.

1080p is perfectly acceptable, I've held off for this long, though that was mainly to do with me having a 120Hz screen but now a 2560x1440 screen has both G-Sync, which will be a game changer, and is still 120Hz I can upgrade with no worries.

Time move on from 1080 for me. Been there for the last few years and I want my computer to sweat

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Extreme Poster
    oh yeah, i meant 4K would kill your GPU, not 1440p, i'm sure that's achieveable in some way or form. 4K sounds a little crazy at the moment and imo wouldn't be beneficial. why do they even have 4K monitors? it's like having a phone or "anything" with more than 2 megapixels...considering 2MP is good enough for a large screen. anything over 2MP is if you wanted to make a poster out of it lol.

4K on a monitor is like 16MP camera on a phone. :S

if a game was specifically designed for the upper tiered PCs, 4K could become a reality now with the GPUs you have now. but sadly we don't live in that world.

Power Member
    No point going 4k on a 24 inch screen the desktop icons and text will look tiny. Minimu 28 inch but then It h ink that is on the cusp of too large for a desktop monitor you sit in front of.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-09-2014 at 17:37.

Forum Sage

You'd be surprised about how 'easy' games can be run at 4K. Two vanilla GTX780s can do tomb raider at a stable 60fps.

I used to use my 32" TV and sit about a foot away from it which was a bit overwhelming. I think 27" is perfectly acceptable though.

My main issue is desk space

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Extreme Poster
    i wouldn't doubt a game like TR with the setup you have but we're still talking about a monitor :P i would never get a 4K monitor...not unless they became the standard.

i'd also have to see it with my own eyes first and see if it's showing all the details or are those pixels being lost because there's only so much detail our eyes can see.

so like a game you'd play on your 28" could end up looking way better and with way more details visible on a 60".

Forum Sage

Well hopefully at the end of July I'll have enough experience so I'll be able relay back some information. I should be able to get 110FPS with BF4 ultra at 1440p with a 2nd GPU which will give me the same experience I have now pretty much just double the pixels and also with the added benefit of G-Sync. My main concern is having a fluid gaming experience hence why I require 120Hz.

Next step would be 3 way SLI and 3 2560x1440 screens. Varsh, I'll leave that one to you

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Extreme Poster
    120fps sounds awesome. and afterp laying 60fps consistently, i can tell that i would enjoy 120fps because anything lower than 60fps sucks...every time you get a little hitch, it's almost as bad as when PS3 games went below 30fps.

120fps should become the standard and i think it will saturate at 240fps.

P.S. btw i'm not a 60fps virgin lol, i have played plenty of PC games at 60fps or at least 45-50fps before, e.g. WoW, Half Life 1/2, CS and more. but you know, those games weren't heavy on graphics even back then.

Dedicated Member
    The Asus 27@1440p&120hz is ideal.

You'll end up scaling EVERYTHING on the 4K one if you can afford anything after buying a 4K.

I'm eyeing this one myself.

Obviously it locks you into an nVidia to deal with GSync, nothing very bad about that though.

Yeah, go for it if you got t he money to burn.

Is ASUS Zero Dead Pixel guarantee still in effect?
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    UHD monitors don't cost much, in fact some 1440p monitors cost more. It seems that UHD monitors are being released at ~500 - it makes it kind of silly not purchasing one at that price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    4K sounds a little crazy at the moment and imo wouldn't be beneficial. why do they even have 4K monitors?
    It's plenty beneficial to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Next step would be 3 way SLI and 3 2560x1440 screens. Varsh, I'll leave that one to you
    Hmm now that has given me an idea but I think I'll stick to a single UHD and a single GPU for now. I might actually wait for UHD monitors to be released with DP 1.2a first.

Forum Sage

I think I will. Seems to be best of both worlds and I'm already in team green and can't see myself switching to the red side unless they do something groundbreaking. My experience with my 5870's wasn't the best.

Not too sure but my current ASUS monitor hasn't ever given me a problem. Rock solid bit if kit.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    UHD monitors don't cost much, in fact some 1440p monitors cost more. It seems that UHD monitors are being released at ~500 - it makes it kind of silly not purchasing one at that price.
    well, that all depends, is the quality also better? are the features the same? sometimes to lower the costs, manufactuers will reduce or remove features...sometimes important ones.

It's plenty beneficial to me.
    see i could see some benefit there, no doubt. but what i'm worried about is how much of a benefit is it?

a person going from 1 megapixel to 10 megapixel could say that it's beneficial to go 10 megapixel but what they may not realize is that they really only need a couple more megapixel, and they're not even benefiting from the rest of the megapixels that are included.

so a person who thinks 4K is "completely" beneficial on a monitor (say 24-28"), would this person have the same opinion if they have gamed @4K on a 40-60" TV? that sir is my question.

since 4K is 8x 1080p [EDIT: whoops, nvm, it's 4x...could've sworn someone showed a pic that said it was actually 8x the pixels), i would think that a bigger screen would benefit from it the most. it's like trying to watch theatre-quality blu-ray on a regular big screen. you know they lower the bit rate on consumer movies? the theatre movies have a much higher bit rate. probably cause we don't really see the benefit on a normal big screen.
    Last edited by Omar; 06-09-2014 at 18:57.

Power Member
    Needs less anti aliasing. That is one benefit.

Thread Information