Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Uncharted 1-3's cinematics were in-engine but clearly looked better than when you're actually playing the game. That's what I want to see.
    Yeah, that's true but would that really have benefited the game in any way considering the different view point?

In cinematics you are up close to the characters but not in gameplay. I can already tell you that the cinematics Drake will be a little different than the gameplay one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    actually uncharted doesnt have facial motion capture, they animate the faces by hand.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Using the data they capture from motion capture. Naughtydog do both, as far as I know.
    Last edited by sainraja; 06-17-2014 at 15:02.

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Yeah, that's true but would that really have benefited the game in any way considering the different view point?

In cinematics you are up close to the characters but not in gameplay. I can already tell you that the cinematics Drake will be a little different than the gameplay one.
    that's the issue, people don't want to give it even a reasonable doubt that it (close up details on Drake) may not be the same as the cutscene we saw.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    ^Actually despite what some ppl think, Uncharted used the same detail on the characters in-game and in cutscenes. The only difference between the in-game faces and the cutscene faces is that the cutscene ones had facial motion capture, which made the face look more full and realistic. But it was still the same amount of detail in both.
    It actually isn't. Go replay the games right now and look at drake in cutscene then again in the game. You can tell it's a lower quality model, and also that the shadows and shading aren't as good.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Extreme Poster
    that's the point i'm trying to make. why do people care when most can't even tell the difference. why not use those resources somewhere else...that would be "way" better than just wasting those resources there.

not to mention, with those details on the character model...and the background...i don't know how they would be able to keep some decent gameplay elements going...it's like Heavy Rain. pretty to look at but also because the game doesn't have character physics, it doesn't have much gameplay (you're a detective), you don't do much except walk to pre-deteremined routes/triggers/events.

there's no possible way that they can have those details and have a proper game...this early into the generation anyway. maybe 3-5 years from now. not this early.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    that's the issue, people don't want to give it even a reasonable doubt that it (close up details on Drake) may not be the same as the cutscene we saw.
    Only because ND are stating there will be no difference and not just that but have also said the final version will look better.

If you choose not to believe them that is fine but it is all coming from the horses mouth.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Only because ND are stating there will be no difference and not just that but have also said the final version will look better.

If you choose not to believe them that is fine but it is all coming from the horses mouth.

please refer back to my response to this very same claim. we're going in circles.

Master Sage
    please refer back to my response to this very same claim. we're going in circles.
    you admitted it was open to interpretation so.... horses mouth

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    I gave up on this discussion, just taking a wait and see approach...crows will be served

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    I guess you guys are right. Anyway, Naughty Dog has confirmed there's no difference in cutscene and gameplay starting with Uncharted 4.

http://n4g.com/news/1530441/no-more-...arted-4-report
    Last edited by KungMartin90; 06-18-2014 at 00:58.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    I guess you guys are right. Anyway, Naughty Dog has confirmed there's no difference in cutscene and gameplay starting with Uncharted 4.

http://n4g.com/news/1530441/no-more-...arted-4-report
    that's their interpretation of Yu's quote. which was extremely vague.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    According to another user on popular dev forum Beyond3D, Naughty Dog are going to drop pre-rendered cutscenes starting with Uncharted 4.

Beginning with Uncharted 4, all Naughty Dog games will feature completely in engine, real time, 3D cutscenes (if they even stay cutscenes anymore), a huge performance departure from what they used to ship.

This was confirmed by another Senior Animator at Ubisoft, who had heard the same from his friends at Naughty Dog.

Yeap – my buddy from ND confirmed that too ; ) he said they have some crazy rendering pipeline there…

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post

If they use efficient tessellation algorithms, technically, the up close drake could still look different to the far away drake model. Given Naughty Dog are highly efficient, it is likely.

So uncharted 4 could use the same in-game model, which has slightly different 'looks' to it depending on its distance from the 'camera' (view point).

Using the data they capture from motion capture. Naughtydog do both, as far as I know.
    I don't think they capture data per se, from almost every dev blog i can remember, ND animators do it by hand using video as a reference....unless you count video as data?

It's the same for their textures, every texture in ND games are drawn by hand and are derived from real world references.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Sage
    I think people are getting too caught up with the close-up shots of Drake.
    Point is when you are playing the game both the model and backgrounds should look like this if not better.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I'm going to reserve my judgement until we have it but if anyone could pull off that type of visuals in game for PS4, it's nd. Their track record says enough to me. I was wowed by how good Last of us gameplay looked compared to the cut scenes. There wasn't too much difference in my eyes.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

15. Likes Malt likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    Does anyone else think the water is a little too glossy on him in that picture/trailer?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I'm going to reserve my judgement until we have it but if anyone could pull off that type of visuals in game for PS4, it's nd. Their track record says enough to me. I was wowed by how good Last of us gameplay looked compared to the cut scenes. There wasn't too much difference in my eyes.
    i'm not saying they can't pull those graphics. i'm saying they can...just that the character may not be that detailed in gameplay. it might be slightly less detailed. so far there are rumors based on what Yu said, "realtime". that's all she said.
    Does anyone else think the water is a little too glossy on him in that picture/trailer?
    yup.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    i'm not saying they can't pull those graphics. i'm saying they can...just that the character may not be that detailed in gameplay. it might be slightly less detailed. so far there are rumors based on what Yu said, "realtime". that's all she said.

yup.
    Wasn't really aiming that at you. Just a statement in general. But I agree with you. Honestly ND are masters at what they do but that level of detail is insane. Probably too insane to expect in game. But ND has surprised the $#@! out of me before. So I wouldn't put it past them.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Can't wait, to think that what we saw is not even the final form, that it could potentially look better? Mind blown

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    lol drama.

Friendship is Carrots
    there's no possible way that they can have those details and have a proper game...this early into the generation anyway. maybe 3-5 years from now. not this early.
    It's not impossible. There's nothing actually stopping them from doing this. For all we know the character model may be a tiny part of their allocated system resources. That, or they have some good tricks up their sleeves.

You should see some of the rendering tech they used in U2 and U3. They have proprietary systems that can really stretch and use the hardware in clever ways to deliver optimal graphics on limited resources. An example being this tree:

They had their own system using blended textures, polygons, and DoF to make textures raise in resolution as you approached and focused on them in an intelligent way. It's much more effective than the usual standard techniques other games use, which aren't as smooth, nor combined with the depth of field to really pull the look off.

ND knows what they're doing. If they claim it's the same model then I believe them.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Master Guru
    I think it's safe to say Uncharted 4 will be mind blowing. This is a franchise that i can just play only to have my jaw drop at the eye candy. Never mind the awesome story and gameplay. Naughty Gods is right.

Ultimate Veteran
    Also, why is he wearing a shirt?

What?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 06-18-2014 at 03:36.

24. Likes Sajuuk Khar likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    It's not impossible. There's nothing actually stopping them from doing this. For all we know the character model may be a tiny part of their allocated system resources. That, or they have some good tricks up their sleeves.

You should see some of the rendering tech they used in U2 and U3. They have proprietary systems that can really stretch and use the hardware in clever ways to deliver optimal graphics on limited resources. An example being this tree:

They had their own system using blended textures, polygons, and DoF to make textures raise in resolution as you approached and focused on them in an intelligent way. It's much more effective than the usual standard techniques other games use, which aren't as smooth, nor combined with the depth of field to really pull the look off.

ND knows what they're doing. If they claim it's the same model then I believe them.
    if ND claimed it then I would believe it. i'm not saying that i don't believe them, people are interpreting their comments their own way.

Friendship is Carrots
    if ND claimed it then I would believe it. i'm not saying that i don't believe them, people are interpreting their comments their own way.
    Ugh. I got done mowing the yard and the heat got to me. I skimmed the comments and got the impression ND confirmed it would be the same model. Sorry.

Actually, you would think they'd have commented on it by now given all the questions over the trailer.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Master Sage
    They have said it and in multiple ways, you are just not accepting it. LOL

Thread Information