Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

This is a really great comparison between the PS3 and PS4 versions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtZ5oBWpO90

Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by parallax scroll View Post
    This is a really great comparison between the PS3 and PS4 versions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtZ5oBWpO90
    That is a good video actually, shame the comparison is in a bit of a small window but you can still see how improved it is!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice

I'm hoping that since the framerate on the X360 & PS3 versions range anywhere from 20 to 30 frames a second, the PS4 version can get pretty much locked at 30fps, with a narrower range of ups & downs, in any given situation, in-game, no matter what's happening on screen.

I was also looking at various GTA5 trailers released from late 2011, 2012 and 2013. From videos I've seen of the final 360 & PS3 versions being played, they do not look *quite* as nice, nor run as smoothly as the trailers.

No idea what hardware Rockstar actually used to develop the 360/PS3 versions but I am guessing some sort of PC / workstation / dev-kit that can be limited to approximate 360 / PS3 specs.

Official Rockstar GTAV trailers.

November 2011:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs

November 2012:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzue74y7A84

April 2013:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38HiYPMiI

July 2013:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI

August 2013:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvoD7ehZPcM

So the PS4 version will end up being much closer to what they envisioned & wanted GTAV to be, which was held up by the now decade-old hardware in 360/PS3.

It'll probably take a pretty high-end gaming PC from 2012 / 2013 / 2014 with a fairly high end (or newer mid-range) GeForce / Radeon card to make PC GTAV look & run better than the PS4 version.
    Last edited by parallax scroll; 06-12-2014 at 21:59.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    It's not for you. It's for those that held out hoping it would get ported to next gen

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Which is exactly the boat that I find myself in. I played both but I borrowed them off friends. Doing a rush play through of TLOU didn't do it justice and I didn't even get to finish GTA V
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Wow! Worth the wait! I'm going to have so many amazing games to play when I get around to PS4.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    Since I got GTA 5 used for Ps3, I will probably buy this one new. Rockstar deserves my money more than any other dev. There is so much replay value online, I can only imagine all the amazing moments that will be captured via the Share feature! Looking forward to GTA 5 HD.

Ultimate Veteran
    I think I will pick this game up.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    ^^ trailer makes me feel good for waiting that long to play this! Can't wait!!

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Wow, very noticeable improvements there. I'm glad I waited.

Apprentice

Supposedly the PS4 version of GTA 5 is getting something special: http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/so...ing-gta-5-ps4/

This is easily worth another purchase at full price IMO (same with TLoU). I'm double dipping for sure.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I'll probably get it again on PS4!

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I can't wait for this. Already played it to death on previous gen consoles and look forward to playing it to death on current gen systems

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Apprentice

The best GTA5 PS3 vs PS4 comparison so far [Digital Foundry]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkCB1zRIx4

Tech Analysis: Grand Theft Auto 5 on PS4

perhaps the most obvious improvement concerns the sheer wealth of life added to the game. Traffic count is hugely increased and there are a wealth of NPCs compared to last-gen, transforming the city environments. More natural elements receive a significant overhaul as well: water looks more realistic, trees are almost entirely redrawn giving them a much fuller appearance while huge fields of grass have been added where once there were none. What's impressive about this is that all of this foliage now appears to react more realistically to objects and characters passing through. On top of that, Rockstar has also sought to increase the realism by introducing new wildlife, with the trailer giving the impression of richly populated environments outside of the cityscape

On a more technical level, a common element we see throughout every scene in the teaser trailer is upgraded texture work, where we see a huge bump in quality. Signs, building facades, roads, mountains, vehicles, tree trunks and more all appear to feature higher-resolution artwork. More importantly, texture detail appears to be retained at a much greater distance now, with increased draw distances evident on shots that stretch out into the distance.

Beyond that we see plenty of models replaced and improved with higher-quality meshes. For example, the large yellow dump truck demonstrates a tremendous difference in model quality, with much rounder wheels alongside smaller details right down to modelled screws. The red vehicle shown later in the trailer doesn't appear particularly different on the surface but the quick view of the interior shows a complete transformation, with higher-resolution textures and much more detailed modelling work. Even incidental details, such as the train tracks next to the lumber yard, appear to feature more realistic geometry in conjunction with texture improvements to create a better illusion of depth.

There's also object density to consider. Nearly every shot in the trailer featuring a major road shows significantly more traffic on-screen. It certainly creates the illusion of a busier environment and adds to the realism. Traffic patterns actually seem to more closely resemble the city Los Santos is based on, though we do wonder if this increased density changes depending on the time of day and whether or not it results in more frustrating road trips.

Post-processing is refined across the board as well. GTA 5 already featured some lovely effects on last-generation platforms, but these effects are all much stronger and more precise on PS4. It's difficult to know if the chosen shots represent what you will see during gameplay, but it does appear that a subtle depth of field has been added to objects along the distant horizon. It's a nice addition that delivers a more filmic look during gameplay, while hiding potential pixel-crawl.

The narrower shots demonstrate improvements to the bokeh-like depth of field implemented at night with distant lights taking on a more aggressive form of circular bokeh patterns.

Lighting and related effects see a nice boost as well. The fuller tree models now appear to more realistically reflect the lighting and shadow conditions around them. The effects used to accentuate vehicle headlights are intensified while the sunlight filtering through the ocean appears much richer. Light shafts were already in full effect in the original release but they appear to more realistically slice through volumetric fog, as seen around the lumber mill. GTA 5 already featured some of the most impressive lighting in a sandbox game to date which should make this updated version stand up pretty nicely against its peers.

Even the particle system appears to be improved in the shots with the dump truck and the RON tanker truck. Looking at the wheels as they kick up dirt and water, we see an increase in the density of the particles. The smoke billowing from smoke stacks in a couple of shots also suggest the move to a more volumetric solution giving such effects more body and fullness.

Obviously the question of performance remains a mystery at this point and one we're eager to answer when the time comes. GTA 5 simply didn't run very well on PS3 or 360. Sure, for those particular platforms, it was an incredibly impressive game, but frame-rate rarely managed to stick close to the 30fps target leading to a rather inconsistent experience. This trailer certainly doesn't suffer from any such dips, but we'll have to wait and see if Rockstar can maintain a stable frame-rate this time out. We can tell, at least, that the PS4 version appears to be operating at a native 1920x1080, though certain sections certainly show plenty of aliasing. Image quality is a huge step-up from the last-gen versions, however.
    Last edited by parallax scroll; 06-19-2014 at 05:48.

14. Likes Admartian , Omar, Andy likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    It really does look great. This is what the game was meant to be.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I've said it before but I'll say it again; I'm so glad I didn't touch this game. Can't wait to pay it in this beautifully realised edition. This is how a port should be done.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Superior Member
    Has it been said already what their target FPS will be? I'm assuming a locked 30 is the goal and that would be just fine. PS3 dipped into the 20's a lot.
    Mouth Pounding since 95'

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousBOB View Post
    Has it been said already what their target FPS will be? I'm assuming a locked 30 is the goal and that would be just fine. PS3 dipped into the 20's a lot.
    I don't think Rockstar has said anything at all about framerate yet, I'm just assuming & hoping GTA5 on PS4 is locked at 30 FPS.

I'm no programmer and don't know anything about how game development actually works with regard to framerates, but I imagine one possilibily is they might try keep the framerate between 30 and 35 FPS, so that when slight dips do occur in certain in-game situations, it never goes below 30.

Can't wait for the Fall to play console-GTA5 the way Rockstar originally intended it.

Forum Overseer
    I don't think Rockstar has said anything at all about framerate yet, I'm just assuming & hoping GTA5 on PS4 is locked at 30 FPS.

I'm no programmer and don't know anything about how game development actually works with regard to framerates, but I imagine one possilibily is they might try keep the framerate between 30 and 35 FPS, so that when slight dips do occur in certain in-game situations, it never goes below 30.

Can't wait for the Fall to play console-GTA5 the way Rockstar originally intended it.
    gonna be pissed if it's not 60fps.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    those comparisons just go to show how much they squeezed out of the ps3, can hardly tell the difference

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    those comparisons just go to show how much they squeezed out of the ps3, can hardly tell the difference
    meh, putting out a game that barely runs at a stable rate and almost never at 30fps, isn't squeezing anything out. that's just bad programming. i understand it looks gorgeous and probably one of the best games on last-gen consoles but at what cost? performance. i'd rather they choose to take out certain stuff to make it playable better.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I want Red Dead

I want Red Dead

I want Red Dead

It was my fav game from last gen. Seeing GTA5 get the next gen treatment and knowing red dead wont get the same treatment just breaks my gaming heart

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    meh, putting out a game that barely runs at a stable rate and almost never at 30fps, isn't squeezing anything out. that's just bad programming. i understand it looks gorgeous and probably one of the best games on last-gen consoles but at what cost? performance. i'd rather they choose to take out certain stuff to make it playable better.
    who says the framerate wont be $#@!e on ps4/xb1?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    gonna be pissed if it's not 60fps.
    Not going to see 60fps except with PC GTAV running on modern (2012-2014) high-end gaming PCs with a lot more CPU+GPU performance than PS4.

Obviously the newer the PC (say, 2014-2015) the less high-end it would have to be to run GTAV PC at 60fps since the newer & upcoming mid-range/upper mid-range graphics cards will be roughly equivalent to older high-end cards.

i.e. older high-end Nvidia Kepler-based cards or newer upcoming midrange Maxwell-based cards
    Last edited by parallax scroll; 06-19-2014 at 23:01.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    who says the framerate wont be $#@!e on ps4/xb1?
    that's why i won't accept anything less than 60fps. and nothing less than 64 players. because i know they're going to charge full price again.

I would expect 30. I would be shocked at 60. Rockstar, open world, with all the crap and chaos you can create at one time, locked 60 fps? I really doubt that.

Thread Information