Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No Man's Sky

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    I wasn't too interested with this game at first. Wrote it off as another Indie. I'm starting to see some promise in it though. Will certainly keep my eye on it. Should the universe prove to be full of life (and variable kinds of it), beautiful vistas, and not just countless repetitions of woods/deserts, I may very well get it. As of the moment, it looks great though.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Looks really promising, and I really liked this guy's E3 speech. It was very genuine, in a conference full of sales pitches. I think it's extraordinary that they are attempting this with such a small team (4 guys?). Unfortunately, I expect that gamers will whine that it doesn't have X or Y. It's easy to get overly excited and expect too much, with a title like this.

3. Likes Captncoke49, Christopher likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I think it's extraordinary that they are attempting this with such a small team (4 guys?). Unfortunately, I expect that gamers will whine that it doesn't have X or Y.
    In the end, it just matters how much we enjoy the game. It doesn't matter how large the development team is.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Looks really promising, and I really liked this guy's E3 speech. It was very genuine, in a conference full of sales pitches. I think it's extraordinary that they are attempting this with such a small team (4 guys?). Unfortunately, I expect that gamers will whine that it doesn't have X or Y. It's easy to get overly excited and expect too much, with a title like this.
    Agree. This far from what from I am used to seeing from small indie teams. Nice to see.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Finally You Are Free
    The guy on stage seemed really nervous. Taking the floor at E3 is a pretty big deal, and I doubt he or his team ever expected it to happen.

Indie devs are really passionate, creative, and usually humble. I'm happy they're a recognized force on the gaming scene and not just guys making little projects from their garage. Gaming today would be a lot less interesting without them.

7. Likes Andy likes this post
    He gets points for mentioning Asimov and Clarke. I used to read those guys, too, when I was growing up, and it really stoked my imagination. I think I know where he's coming from.

No Man's Sky got a nice reception at some previous show -- was it E3 a year ago? Has it been that long? The game is getting a lot of media attention, for an indie title. I'm sure you're right, that he's surprised and probably a little overwhelmed at having the spotlight.

About the "gamers will whine" comment. I was thinking of a conversation in another forum, where someone asked if it will have a main storyline, sidequests, and the ability to level-up your character. To me, it sounded like he was asking for an open-world (er, open-universe) RPG with all the features of a Bioware or Bethesda game. That's what I meant about people expecting too much from the game. I hope they don't do that.

I agree with your comment about indie games. I probably have more indie games I'm looking forward to, at this point, than full-fledged releases.
    Last edited by Andy; 06-13-2014 at 14:50. Reason: forgot a word

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Honestly I'm just not sureabout this game. I'll wait and see but I'm not overly enthused about it like everyone else.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Well heres an interview. My imagination is running wild.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/y...-2014--eyes-on

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Is this gonna go from a 10 gane to a 20 game cos of the attention its getting?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    The guy on stage seemed really nervous. Taking the floor at E3 is a pretty big deal, and I doubt he or his team ever expected it to happen.

Indie devs are really passionate, creative, and usually humble. I'm happy they're a recognized force on the gaming scene and not just guys making little projects from their garage. Gaming today would be a lot less interesting without them.
    I have to disagree with you....humble is one thing they are not.

Watch "Indy Game the Movie" and you'll see a few of the biggest indy devs talking about how mainstream games suck and how their game is better than sliced bread.

I hate indy devs b/c it seems many of them feel like they are saving gaming as we know it or something...and I just don't see it. Many indy games are fun, I'm not saying that...but the innovation is not something that is so wide spread or even very innovative.

This is all coming from a PC gamer.

I mean...most indy games don't really bring anything that revolutionary to the gaming scene....at least not to the scale so many say they do.

This game, along with some others do....this game is at the very least unique in every way, but most are not this type of indy game.

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post

Watch "Indy Game the Movie" and you'll see a few of the biggest indy devs talking about how mainstream games suck and how their game is better than sliced bread.

I hate indy devs b/c it seems many of them feel like they are saving gaming as we know it or something...and I just don't see it. Many indy games are fun, I'm not saying that...but the innovation is not something that is so wide spread or even very innovative.

This is all coming from a PC gamer.

I mean...most indy games don't really bring anything that revolutionary to the gaming scene....at least not to the scale so many say they do.

This game, along with some others do....this game is at the very least unique in every way, but most are not this type of indy game.
    Minecraft
    Limbo
    Machinarium
    Braid

Huge games that transformed a genre in a way no commercial title has.

The overriding benefit of indie games is that their developers are left completely uninhibited to be as creative and innovative as they want to be. No suits are going to reign them in on the more risky ideas for fear of not making the right profit margins.

We need indie games. They are not 'the' future, but they will play a huge part in it.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Finally You Are Free

So you have some hipsters in the mix. Big deal. With indie developers you don't get the corporate spokesperson up on stage talking about brand longevity or planning to maximize sales with whatever is selling. They're much more down to earth and in contact with what real gamers enjoy than someone working for a big company.

Revolutionary designs are few and far between, but I'll applaud indie developers for at least trying instead of sticking to the usual tropes.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    Minecraft
    Limbo
    Machinarium
    Braid

Huge games that transformed a genre in a way no commercial title has.

The overriding benefit of indie games is that their developers are left completely uninhibited to be as creative and innovative as they want to be. No suits are going to reign them in on the more risky ideas for fear of not making the right profit margins.

We need indie games. They are not 'the' future, but they will play a huge part in it.
    You named 4 in the vast sea of indy games. And Limbo isn't that revolutionary or anything of the like.

I don't know if you game on PC but there is tons upon tons of indy games....I can think of maybe 10 that really stood out to the point of being totally unique.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    So you have some hipsters in the mix. Big deal. With indie developers you don't get the corporate spokesperson up on stage talking about brand longevity or planning to maximize sales with whatever is selling. They're much more down to earth and in contact with what real gamers enjoy than someone working for a big company.

Revolutionary designs are few and far between, but I'll applaud indie developers for at least trying instead of sticking to the usual tropes.
    I applaud them for the same reason...but thats not what ppl and/or indy devs think of themselves.

Like I said...from what I hear Notch is a total asshole...Fish did nothing but troll and complain...the dudes who made Super Meatboy were arrogant as all hell....there have been indy devs going on in interviews saying literally that indy games are saving the industry.

Thats a pretty stupid thing to say when 95% of them are mediocre at best.

I love me some indy games....don't get me wrong....The Stanely Parable is a game I've been wanting to play more than most AAA games...Amnesia is so scary, I literally can't play it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I wonder if this game will have civilizations, or will it just have wildlife and other players? One of the coolest aspects of science-fiction are the futuristic cities and races.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    Love it. Everything about it.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I wonder if this game will have civilizations, or will it just have wildlife and other players? One of the coolest aspects of science-fiction are the futuristic cities and races.
    There is a lot that can be done with a game like this. I imagine over time they will add more things to do. The guy mentioned in the video D3 posted that you can harvest things and use them for something. Maybe at some point you can collect enough materials to construct buildings and build fleets of ships. You can join with other players to help you build and pilot those ships.

I'm imagining something like EVE online where's it's completely player driven. Maybe you go planet to planet collecting rare materials and are a trader. Or you form an alliance with other players forming a massive fleet and control as many planets as possible. I'm getting way ahead of myself but I'm just imagining all these things that could be and that's exciting to me. Having players create cities, fleets, alliances, businesses, pirating groups stuff like that. The world just exists and the players do what they want. Make money, explore or try to dominate over others, you just do whatever you want.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Forum Elder
    check out the guy from Hello Games talking about the game at 15:00-17:40 on the "Giant Bomb LIVE! - E3 2014 - Day 1" broadcast.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/gian...y-1/2300-9056/

unbelievable how they are working on this game.
    they have AI that fly's to the various planets and it makes animated GIF's for the devs so they know what the planets are looking like, what the wild life is like etc...

21. Likes PS4freak , Andy likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    they have AI that fly's to the various planets and it makes animated GIF's for the devs so they know what the planets are looking like, what the wild life is like etc...
    Now that is some crazy $#@! right there :P

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    check out the guy from Hello Games talking about the game at 15:00-17:40 on the "Giant Bomb LIVE! - E3 2014 - Day 1" broadcast.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/gian...y-1/2300-9056/

That is impressive!

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    I really don't know what this game is all about or why everyone keeps hyping it ? Is it like Minecraft with multiplayer ? do you get to craft & build stuff ? is there story line ? is it a shooter or an mmo ?

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Forum Elder
    http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

Basically a space exploration game. The reason I'm interested in it is the tech behind it. It is completely procedurally generated game and is infinite in design.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"soon..ish" Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah 3-4 years ago with blizzard and their dota game.
    Using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    welshboymick
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I don't want to find out from a press release; I want to find out when playing it. Actually exploring and finding things that no one else in who has the game has found yet is a pretty exciting proposition, so I don't really want to know anything more about this game right now!

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    I'll be reviewing this bad boy. Need a pesky release date, looks stunning.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Thread Information