Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    NeoGaf bans people for breaking rules.. here, not so much going on with enforcement. It's annoying as hell to see so many threads go on a tangent, which is why the activity is poor here. People see it and decide they'd rather not waste time posting on topic only for it to get derailed quite regularly.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Enforce rules, then you're being too strict; or too 'lenient' or 'harsh' to one side or the other. Let things run its course a little, you get this.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    This is going off topic, but I get the right to voice your opinion. However, when does your opinion and actions count as discrimination?
    I believe people should, in fact, be allowed to discriminate. Human beings have agency and freedom, arbitrarily restricting this 'for the greater good' normally at one turn or another ends up doing more damage than it prevents.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions.

Rather than appealing to some higher authority and beg them to stop others from hurting your feelings, argue your case. Seek out like minded individuals and fight for what you believe in.

If the other side is being immature, foolish and refuses to see reason than just ignore them. In fact, you can even block people.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 06-11-2014 at 23:38.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Ive seen quite a bit of religion bashing on the forums since ive joined but i havent witnessed any bashing of females, not serious anyway, you get the typical tongue and cheek comments but nothing that seems misogynist. At least not in the threads ive been in anyways!

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post

Enforce rules, then you're being too strict; or too 'lenient' or 'harsh' to one side or the other. Let things run its course a little, you get this.
    Enforce the rules, and the crap will stop. If it's too harsh, then why even have the list of rules? Enforce the rules and get the problem under control and you'll get more activity from newer members.

5. Likes Acid Snake likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    1. Religion or belief bashing.
    Everyone has his or her own thoughts, opinions, and beliefs about a subject, from atheists to christians to muslams. Why does PSU allow members to bash each other and bash each other's opinion? You got members on here constantly bashing opinions and beliefs and it's allowed because it's not "science"? Here's the thing, why does it even matter whether or not it's science? It's someone's core belief or opinion, so just because it's not science you dismantle it degrade it and etc.? This is not professional and that's why a LOT of gaming forums or forums in general ban religious discussions or ban religion bashing. No muslim, no christian, no religion follower wants to come on this forum and get jumped on just for saying, "Thank God".

2. Girl/woman bashing.
    This forum has a LOT of males on it, but does that mean the constant degrading of women on this forum should be allowed? Yes, I understand that some male members on here have very low opinions of women, but you just get tired of hearing them gripe about it and degrade women over and over again. It ranges from calling women lowly intelligent, inappropriate degrading sexual jokes, and etc. Yes, you have the right to think and view women as sex objects only, that is your right. But it's wrong when the things said are just plain outright nasty and degrading. There are a few women gamers on this forum, that is discouraging to us.

So why does PSU allow these things? Is it because most of the members are male? Is it because a lot of the members have opposite beliefs? If the rules actually cover these things, can a mod show me where?
    Outside the tongue-in-cheek comments about other halves, i've never seen anything on here that amounts to attacks on women. Furthermore, this is something inherent to both sexes. We both complain about each other, it's just the way of life . There's never been any instance where a male member has said something controversial and everybody has piled on. If there was, the posts have probably been removed.

Religion - if someone questioning your religion makes you waver, then it's not something the forum rules can remedy, you have to look to yourself for that. People have the right to free speech, and can put forward their argument as they see fit. If attacks are made toward members, or posts are mindlessly incoherent hate speeches, we can enforce the rules that prevent these ill begotten posts. And have done so numerous times in the past.

Enforce the rules, and the crap will stop. If it's too harsh, then why even have the list of rules? Enforce the rules and get the problem under control and you'll get more activity from newer members.
    For privacy reasons, warnings, infractions and the like are in the staff section. If a user is banned, we will update the public thread detailing why the ban took place. Airing peoples dirty laundry is not a nice sight.

It seems to work for those who receive infractions and warnings. The previous set-up amounted to no more than a name and shame section.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    1. Because some people like to voice their opinions on stuff they apparently don't believe or care about.

2. Because apparently some guys are still 10 year old boys who think girls have "cooties".
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    No , not that we... oh nevermind.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Ultimate Veteran
    Would the OP mind using the multi-quote button instead of double/triple/quadruple-posting? The little "+ icon on the bottom-right part of people's posts is there to make PSU more like a forum and less of a chatroom.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Would the OP mind using the multi-quote button instead of double/triple/quadruple-posting? The little "+ icon on the bottom-right part of people's posts is there to make PSU more like a forum and less of a chatroom.
    No because it helps his post count

I must admit I don't see any religion or girl bashing on here but then again I don't go into EVERY thread so perhaps I have not stumbled across it yet but if I see anything like it I shall report it straight away! There is freedom of speech and then there is just being plain nasty and it's pretty easy to tell the difference between the 2!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

11. Likes TidalPhoenix , The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Question was answered. Thanks.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Extreme Poster
    this is why we should have never let women out of the kitchen. now they have needs and wants and they involve themselves in... criticism.

14. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    1. Because some people like to voice their opinions on stuff they apparently don't believe or care about.

2. Because apparently some guys are still 10 year old boys who think girls have "cooties".
    But girls do have cooties. Be careful out there!

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Extreme Poster
    omg it just all came together for me (no pun intended). they have cooties because they have...COOTERS. yeah? yeah!? i'm smart? !

Extreme Poster
    but anyway, if you wanna talk about it. men make fun of women because of the social and sexual frustration they suffer from. women tend to have control over men and a lot of influence if i might add. it's their way to say that they don't care and it makes them feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post

lol, yup. The life of a moderator.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I believe people should, in fact, be allowed to discriminate.
    I see. Should we change the forum sign up rules to prevent gay, black, disabled and female members from joining? I mean then we can truly revel and wallow in the pit of discrimination?

It's never okay to discriminate based purely on the colour of someone's skin, or that they are female, or have made a different lifestyle choice to you. Discrimination serves no other purpose than to attempt to wield power over a minority group and belittle their existance.

You can have a counter view to something, religion for example, and it's completely fine to debate that point, but that's a world apart from discriminating against someone because they are religious. I'm from the UK and like most of the UK population I'm not the least bit religious, but I respect the views of those who are and generally just don't get bogged down in the arguments because neither side will ever change their views.
    Last edited by TidalPhoenix; 06-13-2014 at 13:04.

​aka Sparc

Friendship is Carrots
    He's not saying it's okay to discriminate, only that it's a fundamental aspect in maintaining honest free speech. Sometimes a bigot will say discriminatory things. But that bigot will also get laughed at and ignored, or more fortunately be convinced to a fairer and peaceful opinion. It's just part of how social interaction works.

Vulgotha's argument is relying on the slippery slope, though for good reason. You can't exhibit power to limit the 'opposing group' because it sets a dangerous precedence. There's also the potential of emergent benefit in allowing discrimination under certain contexts, though that's getting off target.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    I see. Should we change the forum sign up rules to prevent gay, black, disabled and female members from joining? I mean then we can truly revel and wallow in the pit of discrimination?

It's never okay to discriminate based purely on the colour of someone's skin, or that they are female, or have made a different lifestyle choice to you. Discrimination serves no other purpose than to attempt to wield power over a minority group and belittle their existance.

You can have a counter view to something, religion for example, and it's completely fine to debate that point, but that's a world apart from discriminating against someone because they are religious. I'm from the UK and like most of the UK population I'm not the least bit religious, but I respect the views of those who are and generally just don't get bogged down in the arguments because neither side will ever change their views.
    I don't think Vulgotha is saying it is "okay" to discriminate and I certainly don't think he is saying this forum should adopt discriminatory policies. But if some other site, entity, or what-not wants to be bigoted and discriminatory.....well, that is on them. Call it freedom to be an asshole. We, as a society, cannot prevent people from hating others for something as silly as their religious beliefs or the color of the skin. And if said people want to organize so they can all wallow in their hate......whatever....have at it. Of course, by the same token, if some neo-Nazi or KKK member wants to join PSU and fill their sig and avatar with hate-filled imagery and messages, we certainly have the right to ban them*. That, too, is a form of discrimination.

* (actually we have the right to ban anyone for any reason, per the terms and conditions every member agreed to when they signed up)

edit: Or what Nerevar just said. lol
    Last edited by Christopher; 06-13-2014 at 13:23.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

PSU Technical Advisor
    These lads have it right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

23. Likes Acid Snake likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Looks like I got here late to the party...

Did I miss a serious thread where people's religions were getting bashed? I'm just curious.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    @Kwes: Well, I'm here for game discussions for the most part, so I can't say I've witnessed any of this. So I don't see how this would prevent female and/or religious users and guests from frequenting the forums.
    Last edited by K2D; 06-13-2014 at 20:51.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Unbound Mercenary
    Same K2D. I've yet to see anything like that.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

PSN ID
    IshTing
    The staff have a hard time deciding where to draw the line. Enforce the rules 100% and members will backlash calling them nazi's. Become laid back about situations and members will complain that they don't care. People are babied way too much today IMO. Nobody can say anything about anyone without being called racist. This video is quite fitting. Can't set it to the right time here so skip to 3:20

I'm not saying the staff should allow racism etc and everyone should move on and leave it at that. I just think people are way to easily offended.

To back up my claims, I just noticed the thumbs down was removed from the forum. Is this due to people getting upset when they receive a thumbs down? If so..... I literally can't even.
    Last edited by IshTing; 06-13-2014 at 21:30.

28. Likes Andy likes this post
    Master Guru
    I didn't know people even posted here anymore. Every time i stop in, which is like once a week, it's a ghost town.

*Looks up, sees thread is 4 weeks old. Leaves.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by IshTing View Post
    To back up my claims, I just noticed the thumbs down was removed from the forum. Is this due to people getting upset when they receive a thumbs down? If so..... I literally can't even.
    That's exactly why it was removed.

Unfortunately a forum of adults can't act their age.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

31. Likes Justin likes this post

Thread Information