Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

E3 proved that Sony fans always wanted an Xbox in their PlayStation

Microsoft has received a lot of criticism for showing non-gaming related content at previous E3 events. They were notorious for demonstrating TV and entertainment based capabilities, whether through Kinect or through Apps the Xbox platform offers.

Although Microsoft always delivered on the games, they made room for entertainment-related announcements as well. Sony on the other hand, mostly concentrated on games, and has usually left out non-gaming related content at their E3 press conferences. In doing this, Sony gained a lot of respect amongst core gamers.

This E3 event showed us something interesting, as this event was much different than the previous ones. It seems that the Microsoft and Sony have reversed roles, with Microsoft concentrating on nothing but games, while Sony’s pulled a Microsoft and put heavy emphasis on entertainment services and hardware. To Sony’s credit they had lots of great games to show as well.

Perhaps the most interesting part is that PlayStation fans are loving this side of Sony. These are the same Sony fans who talked down entertainment services when Microsoft was showing them, stating that if Sony took the same route, they would abandon the platform. They also stated that they would never want their beloved system turning into anything that detracts them from gaming.

Sony took to the stage with many entertainment-related service announcements. They talked about a TV show, a YouTube App, introduced a Ratchet & Clank movie, a $99 PlayStation TV box and had a Sony representative on stage (Shawn Layden) talking in a scripted fashion crunching numbers, explaining how many billions of hours were spent gaming on PSN, and so on. He talked typical PR nonsense for 15-20 min, pretty much putting people to sleep. Crazy thing is – Sony fans loved it! And they claim that Sony completely crushed Microsoft’s performance due to heavy focus on extra entertainment related announcements. Isn’t this is the very same thing that Microsoft was ridiculed for last year? So what does this mean?

This proves that Sony fans wanted these types of services all along. It certainly appears that way, and this is a perfect example of a double standard situation. When Microsoft heads down the entertainment route, they’re considered to be abandoning the gamer. However, when Sony does it, they’re adding to the PlayStations capabilities and increasing the platform’s value? This sounds quite hypocritical of Sony fans. What would have happened if Sony was the company who had the Kinect Sensor? It leads me to believe that they would treat it as the second coming of Christ.

This whole situation proves that Sony fans longed for the types of offerings Microsoft provided Xbox users with. They always wanted their console to have a vast entertainment ecosystem of apps, services and exclusive TV content. They want the PlayStation 4 to be an all around entertainment machine. They want an Xbox in their PlayStation. As they’re finally getting a taste of entertainment services, they now say that it’s glorious thing.

Back when the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were released, the one advantage Sony had in the hardware department was the addition of the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3. This addition made the system $100 more expensive than the Xbox 360. Sony fans praised the PS3 as a better all-around entertainment system, due to the inclusion of the Blu-Ray drive. They actually justified the extra $100 expense due to being able to do more than just gaming.

Microsoft on the other hand, added a Kinect Sensor which provides much more capabilities than Blu-Ray did for the PS3 at the time, and Kinect is actually something that has a future, a very bright one at that. However, these so called gamers (PlayStation fanboys) made sure to have their opinions heard, being very vocal about how Kinect is a negative thing as it creates an entertainment system rather than a gaming machine, and will not buy an Xbox One for that reason. This is a pure double standard and hypocritical situation. The fact is, they were never going to buy it in the first place.

It seems that the truth has come out, and the gaming community can now rest and agree on one thing, and that’s the fact that entertainment-related services are a valuable asset. They are vital to the future of these consoles. Entertainment-related services are what will levitate the mainstream consumer towards these boxes as the price drops.

Sony always knew that, and Sony fans always knew it. This is why Sony is releasing a $99 set top box to grab the mainstream consumer. It’s just too bad that Microsoft delayed their version (codenamed: Project Yuma) possibly due to vocal gamers not wanting to hear Xbox and entertainment in the same sentence. However, Microsoft will most likely release something similar sooner rather than later.

http://www.microsoftproductreviews.c...WUrLSs.twitter
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Forum Elder
    It was the other way around, PS3 was known for being an all in one and XB1 copied that, their mistake.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Forum Overseer

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    oh trust me, no one wants a goddamn xbox in their ps but what they probably would want is media options on the side. but trust me, no one wants an xbox. no one. even the ones that bought one, beat themselves up occasionally.

and a $99 separate unit that is for TV, is a better option than making your entire damn console into one.

this is funny considering xbox1 has been stripped of about half of its features to mimic a gaming console...like the ps4.

i think it's the other way around. we are still getting plenty of games and plenty of third party games that would run better.

Finally You Are Free
    "These are the same Sony fans who talked down entertainment services when Microsoft was showing them, stating that if Sony took the same route, they would abandon the platform."

Are they really though? If so, is the context the same? This seems like a false argument to me.

Master Sage
    ^^I must be in the minority then as I still want media support (AVI/MP4/JPG/PNG/MP3 etc) on PS4.
    But if it suits an agenda then hive-mind away!
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 06-13-2014 at 00:35.

Dedicated Member
    I don't care about entertainment services on console, i have other devices for that. I think the middle part of the sony's conference where they were talking about entertainment and tv stuff was the weakest part of the conference, and i think many people here said the same.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Maybe blind Sony fans that eat everything out of Sony's hands. Yes those fans were excited just like the MS fans that ate up all that type of stuff at their reveal and didn't question anything. I for one thought that was the worst part of the conference and should be left alone completely. I like the PlayStation TV add on simply so I can play in my living room without getting another PS4. Who wouldn't love that?!

This guy in a butthurt fan boy simply because Sony isn't getting tore a new one on this. I don't give two $#@!s about most of that stuff they announced. Honestly it's IMO a waste of time and money. Ooooooh, powers is coming to PSN exclusive. What the $#@! is Powers!

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

9. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    I don't care about entertainment services on console, i have other devices for that. I think the middle part of the sony's conference where they were talking about entertainment and tv stuff was the weakest part of the conference, and i think many people here said the same.
    Absolutely, I agree. I didn't bother reading the entire article because I wanted to see where it was from. Why post this when it's clearly biased coming from a competitors website. There are zero facts to back up the claim. If I wanted an xbox, I would buy one. I don't, so I didn't. End of story.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    microsoft product reviews.....

My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Thing is the TV thing works without a PS4, its a standalone unit to stream Games from the internet and/or turn your dumb HD TV into a SMart TV to stream Netflix and other services.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    PlayStation has always been the 'All in One' entertainment console, ever since the PlayStation 1 reading audio CDs and again with the PSP having UMD movies.
    Microsoft on the other hand was very hardcore then one day *boop* 10000% Kinect, TV, and HBO Go! You can't do a flip and 180 on your entire fanbase, lets not forget Kinect had a sesame street game -_-"
    Last edited by mickice; 06-13-2014 at 01:50.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Yeah, there's a real false equivalency going on with Xbox fanboys lately.

There were two very different scenarios:

1. Microsoft reveals their console as something focused primarily on TV functions. That was their unveiling of the console, their chance to introduce the console to the waiting public. They spent most of the time talking about its TV functions.

2. Sony spent about 10 minutes talking about TV toward the tail end of a 90 minute conference, following an hour of games. It was not the unveiling of the console, but well beyond that. And even the "TV" portion was largely about PS TV -- the primary function of which is to play Vita and PS Now games, also to remote play PS4.

It's a ridiculous argument I'm hearing a lot. "Sony was all 'TV TV TV' and they get a pass, when Microsoft was criticized for it ... uh double standard, moving the goalposts." No, two completely different scenarios and contexts. It baffles me how some people can't make the distinction.

15. Likes on the rocks, Captncoke49 likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Sounds like the typical crybaby xbox fanboy that's mad that MS lost a bit of its luster to Sony. Games come first. All the other things afterwards is the bonus. Tvtvtv,water cooler, kinect lol MS did this to themselves..."but it's not fair"

Shut up!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    They must be cold because that was a blanket statement.

*rimshot*
    Be Together - Not the same.

18. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    It's funny because on here, a playstation focused site, I saw a lot of complaining and yawning during the tv portion of the event from said playstation fans. So I really don't know where the writer of this article (xbox fanboy most likely) got his info that sony fans ate up the tv portion. Not surprised at who the poster of this ridiculous "article" is thought.

Yup, double checked both here and gaf and I can confirm that playstation fans posts turned to a negative stance the minute SONY shifted focus to "tv tv tv" and "numbers numbers numbers"

Nothing to see here other than xbox fanboy article wanting SONY fans to be envious of the xbox. Sorry, didn't happen, go back to the chalk board and keep living on your CLOUD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Sony representative on stage (Shawn Layden) talking in a scripted fashion crunching numbers, explaining how many billions of hours were spent gaming on PSN, and so on. He talked typical PR nonsense for 15-20 min, pretty much putting people to sleep.
    Sony always do this, and it's usually the FIRST thing they do at E3. At least they did us a courtesy and put it after some games this time

I don't quite see the correlation. The message i got from playstation TV was a Playstation Now device. If so, it's still gaming related...And weren't the smart TV's going to play games too??? a TV paying PS3 games! when did MS put out a service like that?

I basically stopped reading the article there. The author is WAY too close to the subject matter to present an effective argument. really, really bad bit of "journalism".
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

21. Likes Two4DaMoney , Admartian likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    MSreviews swings and misses: three strikes - you're out!

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    lol stupid article

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Sony always do this, and it's usually the FIRST thing they do at E3. At least they did us a courtesy and put it after some games this time

I don't quite see the correlation. The message i got from playstation TV was a Playstation Now device. If so, it's still gaming related...And weren't the smart TV's going to play games too??? a TV paying PS3 games! when did MS put out a service like that?

I basically stopped reading the article there. The author is WAY too close to the subject matter to present an effective argument. really, really bad bit of "journalism".
    It also lets you play your PS4 in another room. Sort of like a whole home DVR. But it's limited to the one TV you have the box hooked up. That feature is amazing for just $99. I'm psyched for that. I always wanted to have something like that with the PS3. I hated moving it from room to room. I'm definitely going to be buying that when it comes out.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

25. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I don't know what conferences the author has been watching but I've often seen Sony talking about the entertainment aspect of their console during E3. Perhaps I missed the ones where they only talked about games. I agree that this guy seems like he's XB inclined and is just trying to throw dirt that isn't really there.

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Typical bias Microsoft journalist. There is some terrible journalism these days.
    Playing - Tales of Hearts R,Persona 4 Golden,
    Support Xenosaga HD by clicking the link below and sign the petition!
    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...lobal_Release/

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Sour grapes maybe?

tapatalk post

PSN ID
    IshTing
    I wonder if x2 makes popcorn prior to making these threads.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    In all honestly I use my games consoles for games alone now unlike a few years ago. We have Smart TVs and so many other devices that have all that extra stuff on them now...honestly I can barely keep track of how many electronic devices in my home have Netflix on them now. I don't even have ANY mp3s on my main computer anymore when I literally used to have 1000s, I got rid of them and replaced it with Spotify which is much handier.

I won't cry if Sony never add support for all that extra stuff, times have changed...I live in the cloud now.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    In all honestly I use my games consoles for games alone now unlike a few years ago. We have Smart TVs and so many other devices that have all that extra stuff on them now...honestly I can barely keep track of how many electronic devices in my home have Netflix on them now. I don't even have ANY mp3s on my main computer anymore when I literally used to have 1000s, I got rid of them and replaced it with Spotify which is much handier.

I won't cry if Sony never add support for all that extra stuff, times have changed...I live in the cloud now.
    I still have CD. They don't get erased or data mine

tapatalk post

Thread Information