Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 130
  1. #51
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,087
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,645 (0 Banked)
    why couldn't they add more to the game and what does it have to do w/ being indie? I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense. Smaller team, sure....but that's no excuse for not having much gameplay wise.

    okay so maybe what I don't understand is, how are other platforms stopping Destiny from being what you think it could be? Couldn't they use loading screens for older platforms and make it seamless for PS4 / XONE if they really wanted to?

    It is Bungie's game and perhaps this is exactly what they had in mind?

  2. #52
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,722
    Rep Power
    188
    Points
    96,472 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    why couldn't they add more to the game and what does it have to do w/ being indie? I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense. Smaller team, sure....but that's no excuse for not having much gameplay wise.
    because they don't have the technology, nor the budget/time, (generally) talent, nor the strength to take risks.

    i'm not saying a game like destiny could be done with infinite universes, i'm just saying that they could've made the worlds in tact, seamless.

    okay so maybe what I don't understand is, how are other platforms stopping Destiny from being what you think it could be? Couldn't they use loading screens for older platforms and make it seamless for PS4 / XONE if they really wanted to?

    It is Bungie's game and perhaps this is exactly what they had in mind?
    of course they did, they knew they were going to make it for all platforms to begin with. but to sit here and tell me that they aren't going to lose out on the core game design due to that reason? is something i'm not going to believe. it's a fact that they lose something, what is it, no one knows but i can guess.

    hint: seamless world(s) has everything to do with RAM.

  3. #53
    Superior Member
    NotoriousBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Near Cincinnati
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763
    Rep Power
    39
    Points
    5,529 (0 Banked)
    I'm surprised how good this is at its ALPHA stage. It feels nearly finished. I played it last night for about 4 hours.

    In my experience, I felt it was a mix of Mass Effect, Warframe, and Halo. It's not my cup of tea but I can clearly see people liking Destiny.

    I predict this game to have an average score in the upper 80's.
    Mouth Pounding since 95'

  4. #54
    Apprentice
    Kawaiius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    395
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    1,208 (0 Banked)
    People cry and complain way too much

    I'm mad that i missed out on the ALPHA..cannot wait until it goes into beta so i can have a chance to experience it for myself.

  5. #55
    Superior Member
    Sryche22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    PSN ID
    Sryche
    Age
    31
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    62
    Points
    506 (0 Banked)
    Items Guerrilla Gamesid Software
    The PVP portion of Destiny is pretty challenging, IMO. They've only unlocked the first game mode called Capture, which is in essence 'Domination' from the COD games. Definitely takes some time to get used to (I'm speaking as someone who hasn't played HALO and only really plays COD/Killzone), as I've had a hard time finding the right sensitivity/gun combo where I feel really comfortable. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there is no prone in Destiny which is usually really helpful in Domination.

    All-in-all though, I think as you level up in the BETA and the actual game itself and can obtain the 'Crucible Weapons' which are weapons specifically for the PVP areas, it will be a little more enjoyable.

    Anyone else have a take on the PVP areas?

    "Don't Be Surprised If You Mind When You Find Me." ~ Life of Agony

  6. #56
    Superior Member
    SkarEffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Age
    29
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    9
    Points
    3,085 (0 Banked)
    What time does the alpha end?

  7. #57
    Elite Guru
    *goo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,254
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    31,019 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousBOB View Post
    I'm surprised how good this is at its ALPHA stage. It feels nearly finished. I played it last night for about 4 hours.

    In my experience, I felt it was a mix of Mass Effect, Warframe, and Halo. It's not my cup of tea but I can clearly see people liking Destiny.

    I predict this game to have an average score in the upper 80's.
    I'd guess it's a PR Alpha, rather than a true Alpha. Given the game is out in a few months, I'd be really concerned if it was in an actual Alpha state.

    This is the marketing machine spinning up.

  8. #58
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,141
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    12,412 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    What time does the alpha end?
    Midnight pacific time i believe, but don't quote me on that.

    As for the alpha. Seeing as last gen Betas were more glorified demos/stress testing then betas I see this Alpha more as a beta and the upcoming beta will be more along the lines of a demo per usual.
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-15-2014 at 23:36.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  9. #59
    Forum Elder
    Abdou23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Egypt
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,547
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    11,334 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captncoke49 View Post
    As far as I know it's dedicated. I would think a game like this would have to run on dedicated servers. Couldn't picture this being p2p.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    way to smooth to be p2p
    That's good news, some companies still have sense. Still i would like to try the beta before i decide to buy.

    PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

  10. #60
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,141
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    12,412 (0 Banked)
    Just read thru. Someone mentioned about respawn time being to quick. I have to agree there have been times where enemies have materialized out of thin air right in front of me not long after just wiping them all out This one may take a lil while to pin down in my eyes tho.

    You dont want the enemies respawnig to quickly of course, but at the same time you dont want the respawn time to be too long either. I would hate to jump on to do some grinding/exploring/farming on my own while waiting for friends only to have nothing to kill because the other people runing around on the map are killing everything off. Their have been times I've seen 4 or 5 people runing around the same area as me. Dont know if any of them were together or not

    Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-15-2014 at 23:53.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  11. #61
    Veteran
    jj03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    5,897 (0 Banked)
    Items Manchester United
    $#@! gets boring after a while...obviously. deleted the alpha earlier. Took some screenshots first tho.

  12. #62
    Veteran
    Bligmerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,386
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    20,979 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i don't believe that just because no man's sky has seamless worlds/universes that it is the reason for the lack of much gameplay in the game. it's an indie game, even if they wanted to add more, they couldn't. so they kept it simple. indie isn't supposed to compete against AAA titles.

    and Destiny doesn't need infinite galaxies. that wouldn't make sense for a game like Destiny anyway where things needs to be scripted. point being, they could've easily made the game seamless but then it wouldn't work on all platforms.
    You are comparing two totally different game engine technologies. No Man's Sky is a *procedural* game engine, Destiny is a polygonal game engine. If you have any familiarity with a 3D modeling program, you find out quickly how limited in scale they are. Try modeling the solar system and find out you can get in close or you can have the distance separation but you can't have both. At some point, one needs to be switched out with the other. Procedural game engines are using rendering algorithms that don't use polygons, kind of like mandelbrots. Don't Starve is a procedural game. There is a library of graphics elements and the algorithm creates maps from them. So far, it looks like it's difficult to get the interactive gameplay into procedural games to the range of that gameplay interaction in polygonal games. The "flying into the planet" effect is one of the oldest computer graphics effects and considered clich'e now, although everybody still keeps doing their version of it. A lot of them use the time going through the clouds to do their loading.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

  13. #63
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,087
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,645 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    because they don't have the technology, nor the budget/time, (generally) talent, nor the strength to take risks.

    i'm not saying a game like destiny could be done with infinite universes, i'm just saying that they could've made the worlds in tact, seamless.

    of course they did, they knew they were going to make it for all platforms to begin with. but to sit here and tell me that they aren't going to lose out on the core game design due to that reason? is something i'm not going to believe. it's a fact that they lose something, what is it, no one knows but i can guess.

    hint: seamless world(s) has everything to do with RAM.
    I don't think Destiny (in it's current form) is that far from what Bungie wanted to achieve. While I am not ignoring the possibility of last-gen platforms holding the game back, I don't think the reason for not having seamless worlds is because of that.

    If last-gen platforms would have stopped Bungie from creating Destiny the way that they had wanted, do you think they would have chosen to develop for all platforms and not just PS4 / XONE / PC?

  14. #64
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    803
    Rep Power
    20
    Points
    14,488 (0 Banked)
    Alpha is usually a stress test and buggier. Basics and stuff.

    Beta is usually where they let as many ppl in as they can without letting everyone in to get as many bugs out as possible.

    At least thats what I've gone through.

  15. #65
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,722
    Rep Power
    188
    Points
    96,472 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    You are comparing two totally different game engine technologies. No Man's Sky is a *procedural* game engine, Destiny is a polygonal game engine. If you have any familiarity with a 3D modeling program, you find out quickly how limited in scale they are. Try modeling the solar system and find out you can get in close or you can have the distance separation but you can't have both. At some point, one needs to be switched out with the other. Procedural game engines are using rendering algorithms that don't use polygons, kind of like mandelbrots. Don't Starve is a procedural game. There is a library of graphics elements and the algorithm creates maps from them. So far, it looks like it's difficult to get the interactive gameplay into procedural games to the range of that gameplay interaction in polygonal games. The "flying into the planet" effect is one of the oldest computer graphics effects and considered clich'e now, although everybody still keeps doing their version of it. A lot of them use the time going through the clouds to do their loading.
    i think you're misunderstanding my argument here.

    i'm not saying that they should've made Destiny a procedural game. i'm saying that if an indie developer can make a game where you have seamless galaxies, surely you can make a game seamless that has a few dozen worlds.

    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I don't think Destiny (in it's current form) is that far from what Bungie wanted to achieve. While I am not ignoring the possibility of last-gen platforms holding the game back, I don't think the reason for not having seamless worlds is because of that.
    on what basis do you feel that the PS3/360 would be able to do a game like that with seamless worlds? there's not a single game on the PS3 or the 360 that looks like that and would be able to do seamless worlds.

    If last-gen platforms would have stopped Bungie from creating Destiny the way that they had wanted, do you think they would have chosen to develop for all platforms and not just PS4 / XONE / PC?
    why wouldn't you still develop for all platforms? there are 80m+ users on the PS3 and 360. let's say there are a few million dual console owners, you're still left with over 120m+ console users. if i were bungie, i wouldn't care for all the issues with the design as long as the gameplay was fun...which it is i'm sure. the important thing is that people are going to love the game and it's going to sell regardless of the design choice.

    do i think they could've made the game better by keeping it exclusively next-gen tech? of course, but then they would have cut their base by 90%. so yes i understand why they did it but it doesn't help me, it helps them. i will pay for a game that suits my needs.

    to both of you, if you think we aren't going to see games where you can go from one planet to another seamlessly (or just a very big open world game), you're going to be in a pleasant surprise. i think open world is the future, it's going to happen, it's going to be extreme and then we'll look back and see what a big joke Destiny really is.

  16. #66
    Superior Member
    SkarEffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Age
    29
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    9
    Points
    3,085 (0 Banked)
    Alpha extended.

  17. Likes Sryche22 likes this post
  18. #67
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,141
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    12,412 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    Alpha extended.
    Hehehe daddy likes.


    Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  19. #68
    Superior Member
    SkarEffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Age
    29
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    9
    Points
    3,085 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Hehehe daddy likes.


    Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    I wonder what that means.

  20. #69
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,087
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,645 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i think you're misunderstanding my argument here.

    i'm not saying that they should've made Destiny a procedural game. i'm saying that if an indie developer can make a game where you have seamless galaxies, surely you can make a game seamless that has a few dozen worlds.
    What evidence have they given us that suggested it would have seamless worlds? That's what I want to know.

    on what basis do you feel that the PS3/360 would be able to do a game like that with seamless worlds? there's not a single game on the PS3 or the 360 that looks like that and would be able to do seamless worlds.
    I am not saying it's possible on last-gen, that's not my argument. I am saying it's not necessarily because of last-gen that Destiny is the way it is.

    why wouldn't you still develop for all platforms? there are 80m+ users on the PS3 and 360. let's say there are a few million dual console owners, you're still left with over 120m+ console users. if i were bungie, i wouldn't care for all the issues with the design as long as the gameplay was fun...which it is i'm sure. the important thing is that people are going to love the game and it's going to sell regardless of the design choice.
    Why isn't naughtydog doing the same with UC4? Why is Ubisoft (I mention Ubisoft so you don't use the counterpoint of Sony wants to sell their system so they put UC4 only on PS4) doing the same with Unity? Why are they ignoring 80m+ users on PS3 / X360? I don't see why this is relevant. It is a decision they made based on the game they wanted to create. Whatever they decided during the design phase is what determined the platforms they wanted to publish on...do I know exactly what they had in mind? No, I am not claiming that. I am just trying to understand here.

    do i think they could've made the game better by keeping it exclusively next-gen tech? of course, but then they would have cut their base by 90%. so yes i understand why they did it but it doesn't help me, it helps them. i will pay for a game that suits my needs.
    But you still haven't explained to me what exactly has you convinced that if it weren't for last-gen, they would have given you what you wanted in Destiny that would suit your needs.

    to both of you, if you think we aren't going to see games where you can go from one planet to another seamlessly (or just a very big open world game), you're going to be in a pleasant surprise. i think open world is the future, it's going to happen, it's going to be extreme and then we'll look back and see what a big joke Destiny really is.
    When was I arguing otherwise? I am not arguing to say there won't be open world games....not sure where you are going with this. =/

  21. #70
    Veteran
    unicron7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,756
    Rep Power
    78
    Points
    6,658 (0 Banked)
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    After playing it the whole weekend....all I can say is that I love it. Looks great, plays great, loot system is great, enemy types are great, strikes are great....just all around great. The only complaint I have from the whole thing is their social/chatting features....which were severely lacking for a socially focuses game of this scale.
    Some things that stood out to me while playing:

    -No built in chat/messaging system in the game.

    -Trying to join a fireteam was like pulling teeth. If you ran into someone in the field you had to go to an outside menu and actually use the PSN messaging system just to request to join/invite them to your fireteam.

    -No way to tell who has a mic and who doesn't. I would approach people and request(by sending a PSN message) to join a fireteam, and then when I joined it would be dead silent. What's the point of a fireteam if you can't communicate properly? I would suggest they add a mic icon over people's heads or something like that.

    -Proximity chat with mics NEEDS to happen. You shouldn't have to leave the game momentarily just to say hello to a random stranger you encounter. I understand that some people want to be left alone, even while exploring online, and for them I would suggest a "mute all other players" option to keep from hearing others around them.

    This is my only gripe with the whole beta. I just couldn't communicate the way I wanted to and it affected the rest of the experience. If you are going to create a giant massive online world, you need to have a communication system in place to help it along...otherwise it will fall flat. I noticed it in the Tower big time. It was supposed to be a hub to link up with people and I found it odd that it was so quiet. I could tell people wanted to interact but were severely limited to what they could do. If fireteams were full you could not communicate in ANY meaningful way with the person or group.

    -Long story short: You shouldn't have to be in a fireteam to be able to talk to someone right next to you in the game world.


    I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

  22. Likes Sryche22 likes this post
  23. #71
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,722
    Rep Power
    188
    Points
    96,472 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    What evidence have they given us that suggested it would have seamless worlds? That's what I want to know.
    it's an MMO, it should have seamless worlds. yes, they opted out so they wouldn't give us that hint, what i'm saying is that it should be possible and that part of the design was held back.

    I am not saying it's possible on last-gen, that's not my argument. I am saying it's not necessarily because of last-gen that Destiny is the way it is.
    of course it is. or they wouldn't be able to support it. i'm not saying that they would've chosen a seamless transition if it were only next-gen but it would've been possible. either way it's a failure on their part to not include that.

    Why isn't naughtydog doing the same with UC4?
    because they made a decision to include next-gen tech and Sony wants to show what the PS4 can do. look at FH2, that does not look like a next-gen title. why? it's also available on 360. look at LBP3, also available on PS3, nothing revolutionary...in any sense.

    Why is Ubisoft (I mention Ubisoft so you don't use the counterpoint of Sony wants to sell their system so they put UC4 only on PS4) doing the same with Unity? Why are they ignoring 80m+ users on PS3 / X360? I don't see why this is relevant. It is a decision they made based on the game they wanted to create. Whatever they decided during the design phase is what determined the platforms they wanted to publish on...do I know exactly what they had in mind? No, I am not claiming that. I am just trying to understand here.
    if Unisoft decides to not include last-gen, that's their choice. this is my entire point. they can't include PS3 and 360 in a game like division or the crew. because those games are too massive to work last gen. but a smaller game like Watch Dogs can work and you can see how it's nothing evolutionary.

    the developer has to decide it, which way they want to go. some decide next-gen only because they feel that their title will sell better (depending on how much they would've sold regardless of what platform) or as good. these guys can only go so far before they are forced (by the market) to complete take out last-gen support.

    a game like destiny has a basic gameplay that is possible on all platforms...and it's one of those titles that would be loved by millions. it makes sense for them to try and make it work on all platforms. Halo was great, it worked even without seamless worlds. so yeah, i understand why they went with it...but it doesn't mean that i agree with it or want it.

    Unity wouldn't sell boatloads more if it were also for last-gen...it's probably the case that Unity is exciting because it has something last AC games did not have (i don't know, i haven't seen the game or know much about the series) but if they decided to take out last-gen support, it means they're doing something that wouldn't be possible last-gen and they want to gain users through innovation.

    no one would give a crap about UC4 if it were a cross-gen title. it wouldn't nearly look as good. we haven't seen gameplay of this game yet but i'm not expecting anything like it was last-gen...in terms of scope, things you can do in the game, gameplay and how the environments are. these things would be hindered if they had made the game cross-gen and you wouldn't know what they had to give up on because they never designed the game to be the way UC4 will be now.

    it's a tricky subject. but it's like saying...a kid who grew up in a poor environment may have gone to a much better school if he/she had been brought up in a much better environment. it doesn't mean that the kid definitely would've gone to a better school but statistically we know that it's true. well, in this case, we know that some things are just not possible in a poor environnment (or having very low resources).

    But you still haven't explained to me what exactly has you convinced that if it weren't for last-gen, they would have given you what you wanted in Destiny that would suit your needs.
    i'm not saying they would've done it the way i wanted them to but i'm saying that it would've been possible to do it.

    just like if FFXI was only for PC, it may have had no loading at all, like WoW. because FFXI was made with PS2 in mind, they had to make the environments in chunks because you can't possible have an open world with 40MBs of RAM. Same goes for FFXIV, it is much bigger than FFXI (in terms of areas before you need to load up a new one) because PS3 has a lot more RAM than the PS2...but still, compared to other MMOs, it still has a lot more loadings. because they are still constricted by the 512MB RAM on the PS3. they can't just design their game to work flawless on the PC and then hope for a good port...it would not work on the PS3. No other MMO (especially the top ones) that I know of, require the amount of sectioned off areas that need to be loaded up...like FF online games do.

    none of the other PC MMOs are on last-gen consoles. Planet Side 2 would not be possible on the PS3 even if they degraded the graphics, because the maps are too large to fit in the PS3 memory. this is why it never came out for the PS3 but is coming out for the PS4.

    When was I arguing otherwise? I am not arguing to say there won't be open world games....not sure where you are going with this. =/
    well you guys are thinking here that next-gen doesn't mean open worlds...i'm trying to tell you guys that as long as they cling on to the last generation, massive worlds would not be possible.

    i've given you enough examples of massive games that do not have last-gen support...it should be obvious at this point.

  24. #72
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,087
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,645 (0 Banked)
    OK - I see your point for the most part. I mean, I understand that technology is the reason a lot of the times around which developers make their decision on but...

    I would still say that, perhaps, they could have decided they could support last-gen platforms after defining the core of the game so they thought why not do it? Have they gone on record to say why all platforms instead of just PS4 / XONE? serious question I don't know the answer to this.

    Let me go on record and say I am not thinking next-gen doesn't equal open world games - I don't know. My argument for the most part has been just about Destiny.

    Also, I do remember Bungie saying that Destiny is not MMO and perhaps this is why they made it a point to say that earlier because it wasn't going to have seamless worlds that people expect?

    EDIT

    I was slightly mistaken. Bungie didn't, in plain words, say that it's not an MMO but they've never called it one themselves. They've been reluctant.

    Eric Osbourne explained how Bungie want Destiny to escape the stigma associated with the term, saying "MMO tends to scream subscription game and that's something we're not doing. We're building an action game at its core and I don't think MMOs are traditionally heavily focused on action."
    Osbourne does admit that Destiny does share some similarities with the genre, such as the "social aspect of getting people to meet one another and play with one another and form bonds and lasting relationships." However, he also feels that the game won't necessarily require the time commitment that most MMOs tend to: "When people hear MMO they tend to see the red light of time commitment. Destiny's very accessible."
    Source
    http://www.totalxbox.com/65390/bungi...me-not-an-mmo/
    Last edited by sainraja; 06-16-2014 at 18:43.

  25. #73
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,722
    Rep Power
    188
    Points
    96,472 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    OK - I see your point for the most part. I mean, I understand that technology is the reason a lot of the times around which developers make their decision on but...

    I would still say that, perhaps, they could have decided they could support last-gen platforms after defining the core of the game so they thought why not do it? Have they gone on record to say why all platforms instead of just PS4 / XONE? serious question I don't know the answer to this.

    Let me go on record and say I am not thinking next-gen doesn't equal open world games - I don't know. My argument for the most part has been just about Destiny.

    Also, I do remember Bungie saying that Destiny is not MMO and perhaps this is why they made it a point to say that earlier because it wasn't going to have seamless worlds that people expect?

    EDIT

    I was slightly mistaken. Bungie didn't, in plain words, say that it's not an MMO but they've never called it one themselves. They've been reluctant.





    Source
    http://www.totalxbox.com/65390/bungi...me-not-an-mmo/
    it's not an MMO because that would be massive and would require bigger more powerful servers, which would require subscriptions. not always but it would definitely cost them more money to upkeep.

    so to go smaller scale would be beneficial if you were to support last-gen consoles.

    i understand what you're saying about what Destiny was supposed to be regardless. all i'm saying is that what you have available, influences your decisions.

    it's only a matter of time before just about all games are going to become open world. why not? platformers can be open world, ND proved that with Jak and Dexter. Thieveous Raccoonus is another example. the maps are huge in these games. Sly still has loading but it doesn't need it...there's no purpose other than RAM limitations.

    i have no reason to believe that this generation or the next will be big on reducing loading and virtually eliminating them.

    my point is, if PS4 and the X1 had 160m combined sales, and there weren't any last-gen consoles, i'm positive they would've reduced or completely elminated loading times. because there is an opportunity there and money is to be made, they likely thought that inclusion of smaller sized data wouldn't be so bad because Halo is more than that. it's more than seamless worlds or one big universe. and well, yes you would need a powerful server to do this.

    people mostly care about the gameplay. they are still used to loading screens. there's no need to do this yet. they are trying to sell the gameplay, not the technical side of it. which i would've found a lot more interesting but that's just me.

    so while we don't know what Destiny could've been, i think it would've forced them to utilize the next-gen resources better...if there wasn't such a thing as last-gen and the millions of users. so i think it did influence their core design. because they didn't just one day wake up and go...oh wait guys, we totally forgot we can port the game to PS3 and 360. no, that was probably the first decision they made before they even started to plan the game.

    there's no possible way they didn't make that decision first. no way. so yes, that is why i think it was castrated from the beginning.

  26. #74
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,087
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,645 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    it's not an MMO because that would be massive and would require bigger more powerful servers, which would require subscriptions. not always but it would definitely cost them more money to upkeep.

    so to go smaller scale would be beneficial if you were to support last-gen consoles.

    i understand what you're saying about what Destiny was supposed to be regardless. all i'm saying is that what you have available, influences your decisions.

    it's only a matter of time before just about all games are going to become open world. why not? platformers can be open world, ND proved that with Jak and Dexter. Thieveous Raccoonus is another example. the maps are huge in these games. Sly still has loading but it doesn't need it...there's no purpose other than RAM limitations.

    i have no reason to believe that this generation or the next will be big on reducing loading and virtually eliminating them.

    my point is, if PS4 and the X1 had 160m combined sales, and there weren't any last-gen consoles, i'm positive they would've reduced or completely elminated loading times. because there is an opportunity there and money is to be made, they likely thought that inclusion of smaller sized data wouldn't be so bad because Halo is more than that. it's more than seamless worlds or one big universe. and well, yes you would need a powerful server to do this.

    people mostly care about the gameplay. they are still used to loading screens. there's no need to do this yet. they are trying to sell the gameplay, not the technical side of it. which i would've found a lot more interesting but that's just me.

    so while we don't know what Destiny could've been, i think it would've forced them to utilize the next-gen resources better...if there wasn't such a thing as last-gen and the millions of users. so i think it did influence their core design. because they didn't just one day wake up and go...oh wait guys, we totally forgot we can port the game to PS3 and 360. no, that was probably the first decision they made before they even started to plan the game.

    there's no possible way they didn't make that decision first. no way. so yes, that is why i think it was castrated from the beginning.
    I see what you're saying. I'm not familiar with Bungie's design / development process so a lot of what I am saying are just assumptions.

    I was just leaning more to the design phase as being completely open where they wouldn't rule out anything. The stage where they finalize their ideas is where I am thinking they started thinking about technology and pulling features back based on which platforms they were going to support. So my thinking was that if the ideas they had, and how they felt about it all needed to be on next-gen only.....I am thinking they would have done that....but I really don't know.

    I understand your point better now.

  27. #75
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,722
    Rep Power
    188
    Points
    96,472 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I see what you're saying. I'm not familiar with Bungie's design / development process so a lot of what I am saying are just assumptions.

    I was just leaning more to the design phase as being completely open where they wouldn't rule out anything. The stage where they finalize their ideas is where I am thinking they started thinking about technology and pulling features back based on which platforms they were going to support. So my thinking was that if the ideas they had, and how they felt about it all needed to be on next-gen only.....I am thinking they would have done that....but I really don't know.

    I understand your point better now.
    i'm also making assumptions but they're with reasonable basis.

    well yeah, i'm sure they had the ideas for the game, for sure...plenty of developers have to pull features in order to fit the limitations. but you have to take everything into account. it's the same principle that applies to PC development.

    can they take advantage of the latest GTX graphics card? yes, how many people will be able to utilize that? less than .1%. how many people are those? 20k? 30k? maybe?

    so then you go lower, you don't utilize the entire power. why is WoW so popular? because it's a very scalable game. you can run the damn thing on a laptop. but the disadvantage there is that the game looks very dated. it gets away with it because it's art style is amazing.

    it doesn't matter what ideas bungie had, what matters is how they're going to fit it on last-gen consoles and then scale that up on next-gen. problem there is that it's already limited in just about everything it could have offered. which shows, if you look at the game, it's doing nothing new. it's just a super version of Halo + Borderlands.

    there aren't any next-gen features in there that i know of. nothing that couldn't be done on last-gen consoles...and i wonder why that is. could it be because they designed it to run on last-gen first?


    yup. i urge you to look at Forza Horizon 2 and then compare that to the Crew. One is cross-gen, one is next-gen only.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.