Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking

Post Destiny Alpha First Look Review

Lets start with the good...

The vehicles. Oh my goodness. Remember when you were a kid watching the Star Wars(original) trilogy? You loved those speeder bikes Luke rode around on like a boss. If only you could control them. Oh wait.. There was a group of programmers who grew up watching those movies with exactly that in mind. They executed that to perfection. I spent 20 minutes riding around in a very limited landscape just because I could. This isn't like Borderlands 2 novel get from point-a to point-b faster type transportation. This is feeling like you are actually riding it exhilaration. If the worlds are big as they say they are, you will enjoy the journey just as much as the destination. See what I did there?

The boss battle. That first boss was a real bastard. I beat him the first go around, but barely. Ran out of my auto rifle bullets. Had to resort to duck & cover with the shotgun. I had about 1/32 bar of life left, as did he. I was lucky to land the last blow. He was flying around doing all sorts of mystical $#@! I could not comprehend. I expect more uniqueness as I progress but this was a great start for a first boss battle.

The colors. Goodbye drab gray scale Killzone. We gots colors up in this $#@!. Muff said.

The bad...

Up close textures. This is alpha. They get a pass. This is graphically one of the few complaints I had.

Bungie Jumping... Fack. The Halo creators are at it again, because in this game every player can jump about the height of the best high jumper in the NBA with a running start. Have fun aiming up & down. Thankfully, side to side motion is somewhat limited.

Lack of open worldness?? I didn't get the opportunity to explore much in the alpha seemed more like Warframes star map traveling to a different world brings you different textures and enemies AND a load screen rather than the freedom of an open world. I was thinking it would be no loading screens and interstellar travel. Perhaps I was spoiled with Borderlands.

This is just a quick glimpse. If anyone has any questions let me know.

Just got my alpha code. This is going to be an amazing few days. New pc arrived today battlefield beta for pc and ps4 now this and World Cup started tonight I almost feel sorry for my liver

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Sryche
    Items Guerrilla Gamesid Software
    pretty much agree with everything, except the first mission I spent 2 hours roaming around the map fighting bad guys left and right...got into a couple of public events and found some loot crates...The initial game that comes out in September would probably be enough but to know it's supported for 10 years...I'm amazed.

This is going to suck you in for days and days at a time. =D

"Don't Be Surprised If You Mind When You Find Me." ~ Life of Agony

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

Destiny Alpha First Look Review

Only managed to get 20 minutes or so on it last night with Sparc and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's certainly cemented my pre order and it's exceeded my expectations. I was hyped, then it fizzled out the more I saw but after last night I'm over the moon with it. Plays so smooth, responsive and the speeder bikes are fantastic. I like the bungie jump for quick access to higher areas and it felt awesome at first, maybe the novelty will wear off but having not played a game with it before, I've been loving it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    The PvP is basically an evolution of Halo (with RPG elements). That alone makes it worth a purchase for me.

I actually like the Halo like jumping. It provides great vertical mobility, and because it's so "floaty" it limits the effectiveness of bunny hopping. It's also nice to get a shooter again where being precise and getting headshots (like Halo) gives a major advantage.

I didn't ever think Destiny would be bad, but for some reason I wasn't super hyped for it. After playing the alpha, it's going to be a long wait until September.

Also, what classes are you all using? So far I've only tried the hunter, but I'm loving it. The double jump and golden gun is nice.
    Last edited by Felix336; 06-13-2014 at 07:07.

Superior Member
    Items Dark Souls CoverPS3 Slim
    I played a bunch of this tonight. Haven't touched PVP but will do that later on. So far though I just did a ton of missions, teamed up with a fellow traveler, and did a public event, and i loved every moment of it. Bungie seriously made the type of game I've been wanting to play for so long. Assuming the PVP is fun as well, I definitely see Destiny as a game I'm going to sink a ton of time into.

My favorite things were definitely the populated world, and having other players around with you. I also love the loot system and just being able to customize everything, which is something I've always loved to do in games. Playing missions with a friend is awesome and a ton of fun as well.

My only few complaints would be one about the graphics and textures. The game looks pretty good but I'm hoping the final game will get a bump in graphics and close up textures to really make it stand out more. Also, while I think there is a decent amount of options when creating your character, I hope the final version will really let you go all out with creating your character. Lastly, the missions do get a little repetitive. Obviously it's the Alpha though, so hopefully there will be a lot more variety. Seriously loving the game though, and I can't wait until September to play the full thing.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    After playing for a few hours last night, my expectations are sky high for the final version. I can't wait to get done with work today so I can play some more.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    So what is the difference between this and the Beta?? I got picked for the Beta but didn't even realize there was a Alpha
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    So what is the difference between this and the Beta?? I got picked for the Beta but didn't even realize there was a Alpha
    Not exactly sure. I would assume the alpha is smaller in terms of how much you can do.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonViking View Post
    Lets start with the good...

The vehicles. Oh my goodness. Remember when you were a kid watching the Star Wars(original) trilogy? You loved those speeder bikes Luke rode around on like a boss. If only you could control them. Oh wait.. There was a group of programmers who grew up watching those movies with exactly that in mind. They executed that to perfection. I spent 20 minutes riding around in a very limited landscape just because I could. This isn't like Borderlands 2 novel get from point-a to point-b faster type transportation. This is feeling like you are actually riding it exhilaration. If the worlds are big as they say they are, you will enjoy the journey just as much as the destination. See what I did there?

The boss battle. That first boss was a real bastard. I beat him the first go around, but barely. Ran out of my auto rifle bullets. Had to resort to duck & cover with the shotgun. I had about 1/32 bar of life left, as did he. I was lucky to land the last blow. He was flying around doing all sorts of mystical $#@! I could not comprehend. I expect more uniqueness as I progress but this was a great start for a first boss battle.

The colors. Goodbye drab gray scale Killzone. We gots colors up in this $#@!. Muff said.

The bad...

Up close textures. This is alpha. They get a pass. This is graphically one of the few complaints I had.

Bungie Jumping... Fack. The Halo creators are at it again, because in this game every player can jump about the height of the best high jumper in the NBA with a running start. Have fun aiming up & down. Thankfully, side to side motion is somewhat limited.

Lack of open worldness?? I didn't get the opportunity to explore much in the alpha seemed more like Warframes star map traveling to a different world brings you different textures and enemies AND a load screen rather than the freedom of an open world. I was thinking it would be no loading screens and interstellar travel. Perhaps I was spoiled with Borderlands.

This is just a quick glimpse. If anyone has any questions let me know.
    You talking about the wizard? Yeah, I thought he would never die. Finally, I hit him with a frag and his health went down, I finally killed him. I thought the Boss was glitched or something.

PSU Live Streamer
    Dude, that Wizard is nothing once you experience the 6 legged tank. My buddy and I fought him perhaps too early before upgrading our gear, but took like 30 deaths and an hour to bring it down.

First Impressions for me are good though. It's very Halo meets Borderlands with some World of Warcraft gear upgrade influences.

I does feel a bit grindy, if not right away I can see it being grindy at release after looking at all the gear vendors. Grind points to gain ranks. Grind ranks to buy gear. Etc. May or may not be a bad thing depending on your preference.

And it started to feel repetitive but that is likely because there are only 2 campaign zones open for alpha.

The game is fun though, especially with friends. Looks nice. Plays nice. I'm definitely not disappointed with it. Though I'm slightly upset that when I have enough friends online to create more than one fire team, we were not able to coordinate in a way that could allow us all in the same zone. So that sucked. There were 4 of us in alpha last night and 1 had to be the odd man out lone wolf. Couldn't seem to figure out how to "randomly" find him in the world.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Played about an hour last night and killed that bastard wizard, then explored the tower for a bit. Pretty great game from what I played. I'll dive in more later this weekend. The biggest thing I took away from it was how smooth the gunplay was. Like butter. No lag at all. Not only do you have high jump capacity, but you can also double jump. Grenades are in infiinite supply in your inventory, they just have to rejuvenate once exhausted which is a set time period. I can see with upgrades in the game your ability for the time period to be shorter and shorter. Hard as hell when by yourself, but still fun. With friends: CRAZY fun. I dig it.

I unlocked my super ability as a hunter, I just have yet to use it: It's called Golden Gun. It turns your pistol temporarily into a one hit kill weapon.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    I unlocked my super ability as a hunter, I just have yet to use it: It's called Golden Gun. It turns your pistol temporarily into a one hit kill weapon.
    That is awesome, almost certainly a reference to Goldeneye 007 the FPS of my childhood.

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Bungie $#@!ed up. it's a great game with a lot of potential but they $#@!ed up by making it available on PS3 and 360 as well. because the worlds are not seamless. why is this game not open world when a goddamn indie game is more than just open world (no man's sky where you can go from one world to another...and galaxies etc.)

they could've done that but they were being little $#@!tards. but you know what, this will sell boatloads and that's what they cared about. PS3 and 360 users will pay for it, PS4/X1 users will, and also PC.

but it's significantly castrated due to supporting last-gen consoles.

they just made my decision a lot easier for me. i'm not going to feel bad skipping this piece of $#@! game.

15. Likes OregonViking likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    What do you mean the worlds are not seamless?

I played for hours last night. Yes there is loading BETWEEN worlds. But once on a planet's surface I don't recall having any load times.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    What do you mean the worlds are not seamless?

I played for hours last night. Yes there is loading BETWEEN worlds. But once on a planet's surface I don't recall having any load times.
    in other words, the worlds aren't seamless!!!

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    in other words, the worlds aren't seamless!!!
    uh ok!? lol

Dude the planets are separated by SPACE! WTF did you think!? lol Just going to walk across a bridge from one planet to another?

Did I just get trolled? lol

Forum Overseer
    uh ok!? lol

Dude the planets are separated by SPACE! WTF did you think!? lol Just going to walk across a bridge from one planet to another?

1) i doubt it's an entire planet (meaning, you'd think at least a size of a small city, highly doubt that but would love to be proven wrong).
    2) no, you'd need a space ship:

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    Bungie $#@!ed up. it's a great game with a lot of potential but they $#@!ed up by making it available on PS3 and 360 as well. because the worlds are not seamless. why is this game not open world when a goddamn indie game is more than just open world (no man's sky where you can go from one world to another...and galaxies etc.)

they could've done that but they were being little $#@!tards. but you know what, this will sell boatloads and that's what they cared about. PS3 and 360 users will pay for it, PS4/X1 users will, and also PC.

but it's significantly castrated due to supporting last-gen consoles.

they just made my decision a lot easier for me. i'm not going to feel bad skipping this piece of $#@! game.
    I agree fully dude! I'm truly questioning whether I'll buy it day one. Especially with Madden, 2k, Dragon Age, Driveclub, GTA 5 2.0 & Diablo III on PS4 all so soon within each other. Having troubles convincing myself that Destiny is more than just Warframe on steroids(Which I've already put 140+ hours of grinding in). Probably will end up picking it up at a discount at a later point. I'm now much more looking forward to Far Cry 4 than Destiny. I had such hope :\

21. Likes Omar likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    uh ok!? lol

23. Likes Christopher , Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    really it's pathetic that an indie game has done something way more interesting. again, not knocking on the gameplay because i'm sure it's going to be amazing but think about it, if it actually had interplanetary travel...and come on, we all know this is Halo...i mean, can you fathom? it would be my #1 game.

but why oh why did they have to choose to support weaker platforms!?

Destiny is possible on 360 and PS3 but guess what, No Man's Sky isn't. that's the sad reality of the gaming industry.

PSU Live Streamer
    1) i doubt it's an entire planet (meaning, you'd think at least a size of a small city, highly doubt that but would love to be proven wrong).
    2) no, you'd need a space ship:

Ahh, ok I see what you are saying now.

Also, as awesome as No Man's Land is. I don't think it compares on the level Destiny is trying to portray....nooo way.

26. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Ahh, ok I see what you are saying now.
    Thank you. why can't all arguments end this way XD

PSU Live Streamer
    Thank you. why can't all arguments end this way XD
    I wasn't trying to argue, just trying to understand where you were coming from.
    I played many mmo space games, they used 'space travel' as their loading transitions....so Destiny just felt normal to me.

No Man's Sky may be breaking the trend by allowing you to fly from planet to planet, land, take off. But it'll be lacking by comparison in many other areas to achieve that. I promise you that much.

Forum Overseer
    I wasn't trying to argue, just trying to understand where you were coming from.
    I played many mmo space games, they used 'space travel' as their loading transitions....so Destiny just felt normal to me.

No Man's Sky may be breaking the trend by allowing you to fly from planet to planet, land, take off. But it'll be lacking by comparison in many other areas to achieve that. I promise you that much.
    oh of course. it's an indie game. i'm just saying, it's possible to make these worlds now...a small company has done it with a game. yes, they don't have other things going on that Destiny will but come on...it's Bungie, i know they would've been able to get it to work. the only reason i believe they possibly weren't able to implement this is because you'd need a lot of RAM to be able to make it seamless.

well, PS3 and 360 don't have that much RAM, that is the only reason why you'd ever need to take out the data and load new one. is when you don't have enough RAM. if a small company can do seamless then a big legendary company should be able to do it too.

Thread Information