Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Spencer: 'You've got to sell the console before you can sell Kinect'

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/13/580...-one-no-kinect

The Kinect, once a required part of the Xbox One, is no longer seen as the system seller it once was, at least not by Phil Spencer, recently appointed head of Xbox.That's a far cry from how the Kinect and Xbox One were introduced to the world last May.
    "The all-new Kinect is now an essential and integrated part of the platform," according tothe press release put out at the time. "By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for you."

But a year later, Spencer announced that Microsoft would start selling an Xbox One without the Kinect. Spencer told Polygon at E3 that he believes that ultimately that will lead to more Kinect in homes.
    "This might seem backwards, but I believe the decision we made to allow people to buy Xbox One without Kinect included, in the end, will actually lead to more Kinects in the market," he said. "I believe that you've got to sell the console before you can sell Kinect.
    "Price point is important. I had to give people a choice when they come in to go buy a console, that we have a console that's at a competitive price, that's at an entry price for them. "
    And the $100 price drop isn't trivial, he said.
    "I BELIEVE THAT YOU'VE GOT TO SELL THE CONSOLE BEFORE YOU CAN SELL KINECT."
    "We've got to be competitive with the Xbox One console, and then we're going to allow people to add Kinect later when they can," he said. "They can buy it standalone. If they want to buy it day one, I still think that's the best Xbox One experience over the long run, but giving them choice will let us grow the largest install base of Xbox One customers, and those who choose to, will actually add Kinect to it as well."
    Spencer says he thinks the fact that there will be both Xbox One with Kinect and without will also be good for developers.
    "Developers will choose when Kinect is part of the experience and when it's not, and that's the way it should be."
    The fact that soon not all Xbox One owners will be Kinect owners also seemed to shape Xbox's E3 press conference. Kinect features weren't really talked about during the press conference, which was packed with games.
    "I consciously made a point to try not to call out where every game is using Kinect in an interesting way," Spencer said. "It's a difficult thing to do on stage, and second, I think really what you want to focus on is why is a game fun, not what parts of the platform does it happen to be using or not using. A lot of those games are using voice, some are using gesture, a lot are using SmartGlass in interesting ways, but I wanted to first highlight what the soul of the game is about, which usually isn't about its platform features."
    Spencer said he still gets a lot of people pitching Kinect games to him.
    "I think it's great because people see it as an outlet for creativity, whether it's immersion, whether it's voice integrated in some interesting way, whether it's gesture," he said. "I think that the creative conversations I'm having with studios are more about, what is the core of what your game is, and then the studio actually usually comes to me and says, ‘Here's how Kinect's going to make that better.'
    "In terms of a specific focus to say, ‘Hey, you guys, you have to do something that requires Kinect.' I'm not doing that. I'm saying you need to go make games that are great. We think Kinect adds functionality to the platform that makes games better, and developers will use that when they think it will make their game better."
    Man, this guy is awesome. He bring's one major quality to the Xbox One strategy that it has been severely lacking. Common sense.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/13/580...-one-no-kinect

Man, this guy is awesome. He bring's one major quality to the Xbox One strategy that it has been severely lacking. Common sense.
    Yeah about a year too late.

Does now bring into question how much the X1 does actually cost now and how that relates to the final sale price. Where is the money going for each of the components inside the X1 to warrent the retail price.

Finally You Are Free
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If only Spencer had been leading things two years ago from this day. Things would have gone a lot better for the XB1. :/

It's a tough climb out of the hole MS dug for themselves but they're slowly doing it.

4. Likes Christopher likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    He was there when ms was championing tv tv drm, guy is no white Knight but I do commend him for the changes his made so far

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    He was there when ms was championing tv tv drm, guy is no white Knight but I do commend him for the changes his made so far

Yeah, but he wasn't in charge either. I have no idea if he *really* supported all that stuff, but it didn't matter since he was getting his marching orders from Mattrick.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah, but he wasn't in charge either. I have no idea if he *really* supported all that stuff, but it didn't matter since he was getting his marching orders from Mattrick.
    It was Mattrick who championed and pushed Kinect from what I#ve heard from Pachter on several occasions. It was him who believed it was the future and as the head, what he said goes.

I like Spencer, he has the warmer type personality that has been missing from MS for a LONG time. While Sony had charismatic people like Tretton, Yoshida and House, MS had greasy haired corporate suits who lacked soul. He seems sincere and passionate and I don't get shivers when I see him talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It was Mattrick who championed and pushed Kinect from what I#ve heard from Pachter on several occasions. It was him who believed it was the future and as the head, what he said goes.

I like Spencer, he has the warmer type personality that has been missing from MS for a LONG time. While Sony had charismatic people like Tretton, Yoshida and House, MS had greasy haired corporate suits who lacked soul. He seems sincere and passionate and I don't get shivers when I see him talk.
    And he doesn't say stupid crap like....

"...we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360"
    ~Former greasy haired corporate suit

9. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome

That's like being blamed for a ship wreck because of the captain decisions and you were apart of the crew. .

This guy has made tremendous strides to improve the Xbox brand in the short time he's been there. I think he did very well with the e3 for MS. Just what they showed aside, it was a promising statement for the future of Xbox. Very glad he's in there. Seems like he is focused on trying to make up some of the wrongs he inherited.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 06-14-2014 at 15:36.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

11. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    That's like being blamed for a ship wreck because of the captain decisions and you were apart of the crew. .

This guy has made tremendous strides to improve the Xbox brand in the short time he's been there. I think he did very well with the e3 for MS. Just what they showed aside, it was a promising statement for the future of Xbox. Very glad he's in there. Seems like he is focused on trying to make up some of the wrongs he inherited.
    Let me rephrase, he was the head of the games division when they were pumping out the same games over and over. I already gave him props but he was part of the crew

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Let me rephrase, he was the head of the games division when they were pumping out the same games over and over. I already gave him props but he was part of the crew

I'll agree with you there. One thing that has always rubbed me the wrong way about MS is their constant continuance of franchises. Halo, fine that's their icon. Gears, Fable, Forza etc you know these titles are going to come up. I just wish they would put some resources into more new IPs. I could definitely do without another Gears and Fable.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I'll agree with you there. One thing that has always rubbed me the wrong way about MS is their constant continuance of franchises. Halo, fine that's their icon. Gears, Fable, Forza etc you know these titles are going to come up. I just wish they would put some resources into more new IPs. I could definitely do without another Gears and Fable.
    that is one thing about ms they seem a bit afraid of,new,ip. sunsetoverdrive is a good new,ip I have changed my opinon on it, but at the same,time it seems like a safe new ip and not a risky one. look at the 360 and the risk they took first few years then dwindled off.

on tap a talk on LG g2 and I suck at typing on phones so forgive my typo errors.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Yep the first few years of 360 was great. Barely touchedmy PS3 during that time but like you said they went the safe route imo. Continuing this gen they are kind of doing the same thing but it does look like they might be trying a bit to branch out, at least as far as funding for 3rd party. I just want to see some of their 1st party studios do something along those lines. They are very quality studios but seem to be handcuffed to those key franchises.

But it's very early on, so who knows what the future holds. At least Project Spark and Quantum Break are a start in that direction.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 06-14-2014 at 18:42.

Finally You Are Free
    I'm a big fan of Two Best Friends (popular gaming youtube channel). During their podcasts or anything related to Microsoft they would always snidely refer to Mattrick as, "That $#@!ing business man." They would mention how non-genuine he seemed as a gamer and how corporate-minded the guy really was. I never realized what they meant until recently, especially after Spencer replaced him and start making competent decisions.

I'm not sure how honest Spencer is. I'm sure some of it is an act. But it's an improvement.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 06-15-2014 at 03:37.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    I'm a big fan of Two Best Friend (popular gaming youtube channel). During their podcasts or anything related to Microsoft they would always snidely refer to Mattrick as, "That $#@!ing business man." They would mention how non-genuine he seemed as a gamer and how corporate-minded the guy really was. I never realized what they meant until recently, especially after Spencer replaced him and start making competent decisions.

I'm not sure how honest Spencer is. I'm sure some of it is an act. But it's an improvement.
    Anything is better than before. Mattrick was a joke.

Apprentice

Yeah, but if you want to sell the system in order to sell Kinect you have to have a reason for people to want to buy it and that means you have to have games. MS did a better job in that they talked more about games but there was nothing in the way of a system seller that made people want to buy an xbone. Even if spencer didn't want to say which games were doing what with Kinect, he also said "using Kinect in an interesting way." well using Kinect in an 'interesting' way and 'fun' way are different things. You have to make Kinect fun. But I saw nothing that made me want to buy an xbone. Nobody really has a reason to want to buy one unless you want to play the halo game. Now that it's officially a lower price without Kinect, some of the games still don't run as good or look as good as with the ps4. I assume some of the features will be taken away if you buy a Kinect less xbone being that you would not get to use voice command, ect. It just makes for a weak machine overall if you have to take away features in order to compete with price of the competition AND still don't have a machine that runs and plays games as smooth that don't look as good. Im just kind of scratching my head wondering what it is I am missing that makes xbone a real competitor to ps4. Maybe im missing something. It just seems like you get more value out of the ps4 in my opinion.

Apprentice

But I will say this about spencer, the guy has to have some major balls for taking on the job of trying to bring back the xbone out of the hole they put themselves in, just last year he was trying to sell the system for 500 and tell people they needed Kinect to turning around and saying its a lower price and no Kinect required. It is interesting to watch to say the least. And truth be told the bad choices for xbone helped the ps4 make the right decisions and its sort of starting to give off a vibe like the old ps days.

Forum Elder
    Yeah spencer, despite his legendary status, is a bad luck charm.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Since Spencer took back over the Xbox division they have made improvements and are selling more. That extra 10 percent freed up from kinect will help for sure. I own both systems, both are good but the PS4 was better and still is.

I believe the Xbox will live or die by its exclusives, bit like how it was last gen. Ps3 did have some absoloutely terrible ports for the first 3 years.

Still early days for them.

Thread Information