Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Layoffs hit GameTrailers day after E3

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/13/580...ailers-layoffs

On Monday, digital content distributor Defy Media acquired Addicting Games, Shockwave and GameTrailers from Viacom. Today, those companies were struck by layoffs, according to the tweets of former employees."My 10th #E3 complete, Friday the 13th and just got laid off from @Gametrailers," wrote Jeremy Hoffmann, formerly a producer for GameTrailers TV. Hoffmann added, "Great people @GameTrailers will be looking for jobs, we have editorial, video editors, tech managers & more looking for work. #gamejobs"
    "Exciting times ahead for @GameTrailers and Defy. I just won't be part of it. Best of luck space cowboys," tweeted former director at GameTrailers, Ryan Stevens. Other layoff announcements have begun to appear on Twitter.

"Two weeks from now, I will be leaving @GameTrailers. Thank you for allowing me to talk about indie games again and for all the new friends," tweeted Rob Manuel, former producer at GameTrailers.
    The news comes just one day after E3, the biggest video game expo in North America.
    Update: Sources tell us half to two-thirds of full-time staff were let go.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    That is a very very very big layoff. There are some very high profile employees there and I guess something big is soon going to happen, perhaps they might start up their own company including with Marcus Beer? I guess this is already the end of Gametrailers.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    That is a very very very big layoff. There are some very high profile employees there and I guess something big is soon going to happen, perhaps they might start up their own company including with Marcus Beer? I guess this is already the end of Gametrailers.
    Beer left earlier this year, or late last year. But really sucks cuz I enjoyed the game trailer shows. I some of them survive at least. Honestly, the shows are the only reason I go to that site.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    As long as Geoff Keighly, Kyle Bosman and the guy that voices all their videos is still there.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Geoff Keighly works for SpikeTV and not GameTrailers so he wouldn't be affected. We'll have to see what happens but you are right, the shows was the only reason to go to GameTrailers, but with a 66% staff cut? I can't see many of the shows lasting any more.

Some I feel will join Marcus Beer on YouTube or something but even then Marcus has kind of gone MIA after going on holiday.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Damn. And I really enjoy their shows too. Final Bosman. Invicible walls. LAGTTT. Pacth-attack. GT time.. The list goes on. Really hope I'll see more of the crew in the future.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Well, there was a bonus round episode today, but no Pacht-Attack. Those two and Final Bosman are really good. Hope they hang around.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Geoff Keighly works for SpikeTV and not GameTrailers so he wouldn't be affected. We'll have to see what happens but you are right, the shows was the only reason to go to GameTrailers, but with a 66% staff cut? I can't see many of the shows lasting any more.

Some I feel will join Marcus Beer on YouTube or something but even then Marcus has kind of gone MIA after going on holiday.
    Marcus made about 5 YouTube videos, then he disappeared and started popping up in ScrewAttack videos all of a sudden, he really doesn't fit in with those guys....mostly because they are a bunch of immature babies stuck in the past who want everyone to go back to the Sega and Nintendo days. Don't get me started on their fanbase either.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Veteran
    Marcus left around Xmas time. I miss Annoyed Gamer. Wouldnt mind if they stopped brining Pachter in all the time. The guys kindda annoying, patronizing and almost always (self admittingly i might add) wrong...

I like Kyle I just dont like that since he came onto GT its as if the entire site now revolves around him...

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Ultimate Veteran
    If Bossman leaves, I ragequit GT

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I already left GT mid-last year. Never posted there since and only watch Annoyed Gamer and the Final Bossman, with the occasional Epic BattleCry.

The new shows I really don't like, Mandatory update is just slap stick humour which is not funny whatsoever, in fact GT in general feels like it's gone from a more mature targeted audience of 17-35 to now under 15!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I think you're being a bit harsh there Varsh ^^ Nothing wrong with them reaching out to different demographics, even though it might not be our cup of tea.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I don't think I'm being harsh at all. GT's audience and forums have dropped significantly over the last year because of these new changes. Now that they've got rid of most of the staff it is only going to get worse.

What's the best way to alienate your audience? Change your presenters from understandable and meaningful to childish and cynical, then cut your staff dramatically so that the site can no longer be updated much anymore and lose even more audience.

Congratulations GT you've done a fine job.

14. Likes TidalPhoenix likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Well, I do have a feeling GT will end up belly up soon. I just hope something else will rise from the ashes..

PSU Live Streamer
    Loved the bonus round.
    Enjoyed Pach attack.
    Hated Bosman.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    WOW-wow-wow..! How can anyone hate The Bowman?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Lol I actually really like Mandatory Update . It's a shame though, the site is just a ghost of it's former sells and the layoffs were the final nail.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Sucks some of,these,game shows getting smaller. Soon it'll just be big brother ign shows which suck as much as thier articles.

on tap a talk on LG g2 and I suck at typing on phones so forgive my typo errors.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Lol I actually really like Mandatory Update . It's a shame though, the site is just a ghost of it's former sells and the layoffs were the final nail.

Sent from my GT-I9000
    I thought mandatory update was a stupid waste of time, but over time it has grown on me. It puts a little smile on my face from time to time.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Thread Information