Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Playstation TV - What it is and why you should be excited

http://psgamer.co.uk/ps4/394/playsta...ld-be-excited/

During Sony’s E3 2014 presentation, Sony dropped one particular bomb shell that received only muted applause – Playstation TV will be coming to the West. There were than a few murmurings of “What is Playstation TV?”, an expectable question during a muddled and confusing 15 minuets of the presentation. Not to be confused with Playstation Now and the arrival of the service on Sony Bravia TV’s, Playstation TV is described as “Sony’s smallest console to date” and is definitely worth getting excited about.
    So what is Playstation TV? Well, if you are follower of Sony’s world wide offerings, Playstation TV should be more familiar under the title “Playstation Vita TV”, the name of the device when it was released in the East. For what ever reason, Sony have ditched the “Vita TV” name for the West, perhaps because the Vita is not as strong a brand name in the West, and the little box of tricks is now named “Playstation TV”.
    What does it do? Playstation TV could be considered a link to all of Sony’s other Playstation offerings. The little box is being touted as “the Netflix box of gaming” with the ability to stream or play PS Vita, PS3 and PS4 games. Here is a breakdown of its features.

Plays Playstation Vita Games. The Playstation Vita has been quietly building up an impressive library of exclusive games over the past few years. Games like Tearaway, Killzone Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice, Danganronpa and Ragnarock Odyssey have been receiving rave reviews and one of the main features of Playstation TV is that you will be able to play the ever growing collection of hidden gems on a normal TV without the need for a Playstation Vita. Playstation TV has a slot for Playstation Vita game cards as well as access to the Playstation network to play literally thousands of classic PSP and PS1 games.
    Remote Play for Playstation 4

Remote Play has been a very useful feature of the PS Vita and PS4 since launch and now the Playstation TV is set to expand that even further. The remote play feature will allow gamers to start a game in their living room and finish it in the bedroom with a click of a button. Similarly, if you are off on a business trip and end up in a hotel in the middle of nowhere, plug in the Playstation TV to the hotels Ethernet and you can stream your Playstation 4 game play direct from your home, removing the need to carry a console with you. This remote play feature means you can take your Playstation 4 gaming where ever you do, either on the small screen of a Playstation Vita or on your mates 60″ LED screen with the Playstation TV functionality.
    Playstation Now Streaming

Playstation Now is currently in its Beta phase but once it hits Europe, the Playstation TV device will allow streaming of the services library of PS3 games. Fancy a quick go on Uncharted 3 multiplayer but you are 1000 miles away from home? Not a problem. Plug in the Playstation TV box and away you go. All that is required is a Dualshock 3 pad and an internet connection.
    All in all, the Playstation TV is shaping up to be a very useful mini-console. Where it be because you want to play some of the excellent Playstation Vita games but don’t want to own a Vita, if you frequently travel but still want to take your PS4 and PS3 gaming with you or if it’s just because the battle of living room TV supremacy is getting too much for you, the Playstation TV is stepping up to the plate. It is providing excellent value for money, having the same chipsets and software as the Playstation Vita and fits in the palm of your hand.

Playstation TV is due to release later this year in the UK and will cost £89.99.
    I think this has potential as it could be a competitor to the Roku's, Kindle Fire TV, etc. Certainly offers more quality games than those others. I'm hopeful that this helps to revitalize interest in the system so that Sony can't ignore it anymore. lol....yeah....overly optimistic.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Pre ordered this as soon as it became available on Amazon a couple of days ago.
    Streaming PS4 games to a big screen to another room in the house or out of the home is my sole purpose for buying it.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    FireTV was never going to have a proper games catalogue, this has been evident with iOS/Android for quite some time.
    SONY will have to market the crap out of this for it to do better tho. One major drawback is the bloody memory cards! Why didn't they just go SD?

It does have a USB port tho, so maybe stuff can be installed to a HDD or better yet media can be played off it? MKV+Sub support plz.
    Last edited by mickice; 06-16-2014 at 20:37.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    I'm still not impressed, not at all...
    I feel like Sony puts this out a little more for the Vita as a cheap solution to get the Vita more attention... Instead of giving the Vita a decent line-up of games, they got this PSTV device a little more in front for the Vita than for the PS3/PS4... Don't get me wrong, the device is really interesting and has nice features, but if they actually think that I'm going to be happy with this because I have a Vita, then they can f*ck off... I want my Vita to have a couple of decent games.. Actual Vita games, not indie games or remakes or whatever. Then I'll be happy...

No need for me to get this device anyway. Am glad for the people who can find a nice usage in this device, but personally I don't give a damn.

EDIT:
    1 thing that's to my interests in this news post is this;

'PlaystationTV has a slot for PlaystationVita game cards as well as access to the Playstationnetwork to play literally thousands of classic PSP and PS1 games.'

Call me weird but with this I personally feel a confirmation that we'll be able to play PSP/PS1 games on the Vita as well when the PSTV is actually being released.
    Last edited by WaxWeazle; 06-16-2014 at 20:51.

Battlelog: MrUltraah | PSN: kipkebab92 | Steam: ultraah | Twitch: MrUltraah | Xfire: dahultrapro

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    FireTV was never going to have a proper games catalogue, this has been evident with iOS/Android for quite some time.
    SONY will have to market the crap out of this for it to do better tho. One major drawback is the bloody memory cards! Why didn't they just go SD?

It does have a USB port tho, so maybe stuff can be installed to a HDD or better yet media can be played off it? MKV+Sub support plz.
    I'm really hoping they address the still ridiculous price of memory cards before this releases.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    I'm still not impressed, not at all...
    I feel like Sony puts this out a little more for the Vita as a cheap solution to get the Vita more attention... Instead of giving the Vita a decent line-up of games, they got this PSTV device a little more in front for the Vita than for the PS3/PS4... Don't get me wrong, the device is really interesting and has nice features, but if they actually think that I'm going to be happy with this because I have a Vita, then they can f*ck off... I want my Vita to have a couple of decent games.. Actual Vita games, not indie games or remakes or whatever. Then I'll be happy...

No need for me to get this device anyway. Am glad for the people who can find a nice usage in this device, but personally I don't give a damn.
    If PS TV gets some traction going then you can bet there will be more games. I have no need for this since, like you, I have a Vita. But Vita still doesn't have the install base it needs to get the AAA games. Most of that is Sony's fault. They should have led the game development effort and not depended on third parties, mostly Japanese, and half-ass ports to stock the shelves with games. But either way, this device is great news for current Vita owners.

EDIT:
    1 thing that's to my interests in this news post is this;

'PlaystationTV has a slot for PlaystationVita game cards as well as access to the Playstationnetwork to play literally thousands of classic PSP and PS1 games.'

Call me weird but with this I personally feel a confirmation that we'll be able to play PSP/PS1 games on the Vita as well when the PSTV is actually being released.
    Huh? Maybe I'm not following your last statement, but you can play PSP/PS1 games on your Vita right now from PSN.
    Last edited by Christopher; 06-16-2014 at 22:41.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

Playstation TV - What it is and why you should be excited

I find PSTV a good, low risk decision. Interesting to see how it will do. I suspect it will do better in the US than EU with Playstation Now and the real Netflix, Hulu etc.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Will at least do better than in Japan as the West is less for portable gaming. That said, it's not much of a substitute to Vita since it only has something like 50% compatibility with Vita games.

It's a decent little device though, not sure it's worth $99 since all it does is stream an image though besides the Vita compatible stuff.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I am BLOODY excited.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I am all over this. It will be nice to access my PS4 from upstairs on the other TV.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Will at least do better than in Japan as the West is less for portable gaming. That said, it's not much of a substitute to Vita since it only has something like 50% compatibility with Vita games.

It's a decent little device though, not sure it's worth $99 since all it does is stream an image though besides the Vita compatible stuff.
    It's been selling in Japan since February, it hasn't been selling that well at all. Having said that for what's in it they're probably already making a lot of money which is why, despite the poor sales in Japan, they're bringing it over.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Huh? Maybe I'm not following your last statement, but you can play PSP/PS1 games on your Vita right now from PSN.
    I was aiming towards the fact where Sony had the accident of putting loads of titles of PS1/PSP games actively on PSN where few people got to buy some and then they removed it again. That's what I'm talking about, more games/compatibility for the Vita.

This;
    Before: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...download-list/
    After: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...psp-ps1-games/

Battlelog: MrUltraah | PSN: kipkebab92 | Steam: ultraah | Twitch: MrUltraah | Xfire: dahultrapro

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    It's been selling in Japan since February, it hasn't been selling that well at all. Having said that for what's in it they're probably already making a lot of money which is why, despite the poor sales in Japan, they're bringing it over.
    Yeah, the device was pretty much designed for the West in the first place though, which is where it'll sell the most.

Personally though I have no interest in this, I wouldve much preferred HDMI out in the Vita itself to have 100% of Vita games playable on a TV.

Forum Sage
    I hope they don't use the same UI in this as the Vita...

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Yeah, the device was pretty much designed for the West in the first place though, which is where it'll sell the most.

Personally though I have no interest in this, I wouldve much preferred HDMI out in the Vita itself to have 100% of Vita games playable on a TV.
    I think the new Vita has a mini-HDMI port so you can hook it up to the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I hope they don't use the same UI in this as the Vita...
    Yeah, that would suck.

Veteran
    From the clips I've seen it's identical to the Vita UI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GazzaGSi View Post
    From the clips I've seen it's identical to the Vita UI.

sigh.....of course it is. It's sony.

Forum Elder
    It's the same chipset. It is a vita without the screen and twin sticks.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Really hope they change the UI though for PS TV. Vita UI was built around a touch interface. Just doesn't translate very well to a controller based interface. Can't imagine trying to launch a game using that wonky staggered grid with a DS controller.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Really hope they change the UI though for PS TV. Vita UI was built around a touch interface. Just doesn't translate very well to a controller based interface. Can't imagine trying to launch a game using that wonky staggered grid with a DS controller.
    If you want to give it a try, you can select button presses on the Vita UI and turn off touch presses. I'm pretty certain it got added in a update a while back.

Personally, I prefer the PSP XMB with how it's all on 1 screen rather than up and down scrolling through the home screens and side scrolling what is open.

Forum Elder
    I liked it too. I liked the ps3 xmb also..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    You can indeed use the Vita with the controls (non-touch). No need to turn it off though, works normally as well. Not going to lie, I don't mind using the Vita's UI, though the PSP's UI was better indeed...

huh....never knew that. Of course, I don't mind the touch on a handheld so never really thought about turning it off. But I will just to see how it flows.

Looking forward to this. I don't own a Vita, but the chance to play Vita/PSP games on my TV is enticing. That would be an unexplored catalog of games, available for $99.

My main concern is the number/quality of the games themselves. A good number of them will not be playable, because of the touchscreen issues. I looked over a list of Vita and PSP titles available on the Vita TV in Japan, and none of them jumped out at me.

http://asia.playstation.com/sg/en/newsdetail?id=1873

Whether the same list will be available for PS TV in US/Europe, I don't know.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    It'll be the same list due to, like you said, the touch screen/pad stuff. Even for DS4, it'd be impossible to replicate.

For the record you could grab a cheap PSP and plug that into the TV.

Thread Information