View Poll Results: Would you ever own a pit bull?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would not mind owning a pit bull or any other dog breeds that can be aggressive

2 16.67%
  • No, I would never own a pit bull or any other dog breeds that can be aggressive

4 33.33%
  • Kind of. I would not own a pit bull, but would not mind other possibly aggressive dog beeds

4 33.33%
  • I do not like dogs or pets.

2 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't think I would own a pit. You hear way too many stories of them turning on their owners. Here there was a story about one that killed a 3 year old. Any dog can snap and return to their primal instincts but you here about it too often with pits. Could some of it be provoked, of course but it's the only dog you here about often attacking it's owner.Just wouldn't risk that with kids around because I have my nephew frequently.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    I used to have a rottweiler and all this talk of how aggressive and mean certain breeds are is BS. As others have said its all about how the dog is raised and treated. My rottweiler was the biggest baby.
    Rottweilers have not been breeded for fighting. Pit Bulls have. That's the difference.
    People who breeded fighting dogs always chose the most aggressive ones for breeding, the result is obvious.

And of course you cannot blame the dog! But this doesn't change the fact they tend to be aggressive.
    "Luckily, the Helghan economy is based on moving explosive material around in barrels,
    which gives the humans an edge in combat."

Finally You Are Free
    There is genetic disposition between dog breeds. This can include violence and reactionary behavior. Studies, dog trainers, and animal experts will tell you that. In fact, a study of dog attacks between 1979 and 1988 in the United States found 42% were caused by Pit Bulls. A second study from 1979 to 1998 showed 65% of dog attacks were caused by Pit Bulls and Rottweilers.

"32 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2013. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 78% (25) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population." - Source

The fact is that dog attacks are primarily caused by specific breeds. Pit Bulls and Pit Bull-like dogs are high up or at the top of the list.

However, statistically speaking owning a Pit Bull is perfectly safe. On Wikipedia I read that about 2% of Americans will be attacked by a dog a year but only 0.0002% are fatal. An aggressive dog should be on the bottom of your deathly worries. Your Pit Bull is more likely to protect you than it is to harm you.

Anecdotal: My aunt was cooking dinner one night when a strange man came in through her front door unannounced. We weren't sure what his exact intentions were but he yelled at her to come out of the kitchen with her hands in sight. Her Pit Bull came out and began barking at him, and she told him to go after the man and he did. Tore into his arm and sent his ass running back to his truck, cursing her the whole way.

Keep in mind at family get-togethers this dog will go around and beg for hugs and head scratches. He's extremely friendly and I've never seen him be aggressive. Take that how you want.

Anyway, to answer Black Wolf... No, probably not. I'm a fan of small dogs. I think they're cuter and generally more peaceful. I have a female dachshund and a male dachshund/beagle mix. Big dogs require much more care than small ones.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 06-17-2014 at 11:43.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Had a couple of pitbulls..much prefer english bull terriers...total beasts.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    It's the owner not the breed.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

It's not BS. Different dog breeds have different temperaments. It's part of the breed itself. Attributing all dog behavior to owner behavior is misinformed. This is one of the mistakes people make in picking out their dog -- they don't research the breed and understand that particular breed's needs and temperament (and so the dog ends up at the pound, euthanized).

Dog breeds vary in terms of temperament, and some are simply more aggressive than others (on average, of course). That's just a fact that any knowledgeable dog breeder can verify. Or, google "most aggressive dog breeds" or "dog breeds most prone to violent attacks" and see which breeds come up at the top of the list, over and over.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    I wouldn't go out and get a pitbull myself. I like the dog and I have no predisposition for or against them, but they lack that canine face I so enjoy in having a dog. But yeah, if one showed up on my doorstep and/or conditions mandated that owning one was the best option for the animal, yeah, I'd own one. A rather large proportion of my nearby friends and family own pitbulls. while it may or may not be representative of all pitbulls, the ones I have met have been some of the nicest dogs I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Thread Information