Latest PSU headlines:

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Watch Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

Title and info taken from the NeoGaf thread here.

Album

It blows my mind that Ubisoft would spend millions developing their engine and art assets only to severally hinder it intentionally and unnecessarily on the platform that can actually pull it off. Seriously, look at the code lines.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 06-17-2014 at 00:14.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Still not going to buy it.
    Ubisoft treat PC with contempt.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-17-2014 at 01:12.

PSU Live Streamer
    crazy $#@! eh

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Probably couldn't get it to run at a stable framerate so they cut everything out lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Probably couldn't get it to run at a stable framerate so they cut everything out lol
    Actually some people are experience higher framerates with it activated. Most others are reporting little performance hits.

This really shows how much of a $#@! job this was on Ubisoft's part. It's ridiculous and unprofessional.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Ultimate Veteran

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    They did it so that they could say "Hey, look at Watch Dogs 2. We finally hit those e3 12 graphics."
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Power Member
    More likely because "its PC who cares"

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    I think this is quite funny...
    I assume they did this to make the diff between 'PS4/XBONE' and 'PC' seem less big.. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. The PC has way better graphics and they shouldn't let the PC community down because the people with a console want better graphics and make it look alike a lot.

But hey.
    It's Ubisoft.. I'm not even amazed. If you start off the E3 with Far Cry 4, then say they'll go bigger and continue with Just Dance? Then I know enough. More than enough.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Plus the fact Uplay just sucks with it's DRM crap if you buy it through STEAM it requires Uplay which in turn opens up when you click on play in STEAM which you then click play in Uplay to actually play the dame game (FarCry 3)

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    Plus the fact Uplay just sucks with it's DRM crap if you buy it through STEAM it requires Uplay which in turn opens up when you click on play in STEAM which you then click play in Uplay to actually play the dame game (FarCry 3)
    I am sure like me you tried to run the game via Uplay bypassing steam (makes sense right?) only to find out if you do that and login to Uplay you find that your game(s) are not there. My Uplay account was empty when I logged in to the the app, but if I go via Steam doing it as you described the game is there.

My Uplay name is "Uplay-sucks"
    Last edited by keefy; 06-17-2014 at 17:23.

PSU Live Streamer
    source

Watch Dogs "E3 2012" mod can have damaging effect on gameplay, says Ubisoft

There’s no doubt that discussion about the graphical fidelity of Watch Dogs has overshadowed the quality of the game itself, with many claiming that the open-world hacker looks no where near as good as it did upon unveiling in 2012. To add to the controversy, it turns out that many of the high quality graphical features used during that demonstration are in fact hidden in the game’s PC build. They’ve since been unlocked by a proactive modder.
    Which is great in theory, but according to a newly released statement from Ubisoft, there’s nothing cynical about their locking the assets from the vanilla game, and that users should activate them via the mod at their own risk.
    “The dev team is completely dedicated to getting the most out of each platform, so the notion that we would actively downgrade quality is contrary to everything we’ve set out to achieve,” a Ubisoft spokesperson wrote on the Watch Dogs website. “We test and optimize our games for each platform on which they’re released, striving for the best possible quality.
    “The PC version does indeed contain some old, unused render settings that were deactivated for a variety of reasons, including possible impacts on visual fidelity, stability, performance and overall gameplay quality. Modders are usually creative and passionate players, and while we appreciate their enthusiasm, the mod in question (which uses those old settings) subjectively enhances the game’s visual fidelity in certain situations but also can have various negative impacts. Those could range from performance issues, to difficulty in reading the environment in order to appreciate the gameplay, to potentially making the game less enjoyable or even unstable.”
    So that appears to rule out rumours that a forthcoming major patch for Watch Dogs will officially unlock those hidden features. We'll have to wait and see what the official graphical improvements bring.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Friendship is Carrots
    What a load of bull$#@!. Their claim here directly conflicts with a recent statement from Ubisoft how they want each platform to deliver a similar experience.

"Those could range from performance issues, to difficulty in reading the environment in order to appreciate the gameplay, to potentially making the game less enjoyable or even unstable.”

These guys messed up and now they're trying to cover their asses.

Edit: TB's take.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 06-21-2014 at 00:53.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Power Member
    I will never buy another Ubisoft game again, in fact my own personal boycott started a few years ago just after Splinter cell conviction released and just as they released their draconian DRM crap.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Wow! See how they even labelled those settings with an E3 prefix in the code. In other words they deliberately set out to mislead! Ubisoft - the new EA

​aka Sparc

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    Wow! See how they even labelled those settings with an E3 prefix in the code. In other words they deliberately set out to mislead! Ubisoft - the new EA
    This is just what I don't understand about such things...Why leave the code in there at all?! Do they think people aren't going to go through the code even just for the fun of it anyway?

Maybe they were planing a patch down the line which unlocked all this stuff, remember reading that a PC patch was meant to be coming at some point. Maybe they wanted parity for launch, get the majority of the sales over and done with, then unlock the features once that had finished to do a late boost to PC sales?

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    This is just what I don't understand about such things...Why leave the code in there at all?! Do they think people aren't going to go through the code even just for the fun of it anyway?

Maybe they were planing a patch down the line which unlocked all this stuff, remember reading that a PC patch was meant to be coming at some point. Maybe they wanted parity for launch, get the majority of the sales over and done with, then unlock the features once that had finished to do a late boost to PC sales?
    removing a large amount of code can often be very destabilising to the quality of the code base. Quite often it's commented out first and then removed in a subsequent patch or two once it's been able to be removed and put through a full test cycle.

​aka Sparc

Thread Information