Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

Bungie Explains Why Destiny Is Not 60fps On The PS4 And Xbox One..

Bungie’s Destiny is one of the few AAA games that will be running at 1080p/30fps on both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The recent June Xbox One SDK updated helped Bungie to bump up the resolution of the Xbox One version to 1080p. But why did Bungie did not targeted 60fps?

“It’s a lot of different things,” explains Jason Sussman who is the senior environment artist at Bungie. “I could get really technical, but I’d bore you to death. A lot has to do with performance. We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience, that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles. A lot goes into that, from geometry to textures to post effects to particles to how many players you get on the screen. We’re always balancing that out to make sure everyone gets the same experience,” he said in an interview with Venturebeat

A lot of developers this generation are going for a higher resolution compared to 60fps which makes sense since it will allow them to add more post effects and do more on the screen at any given moment. In fact one of Sony’s own programmers prefers higher resolution than frame rate. Expect this norm to continue this generation.

Destiny will be available on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One this September.
    not a game i'm interested in, but i'm sure there will be many disappointed in this x-gen game.

http://gamingbolt.com/bungie-explain...4-and-xbox-one

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Meh, doesn't bother me. Played the alpha all weekend and had a blast. Wasn't disappointed at all with what I saw and played. The graphics are good enough for a game like this. I honestly wasn't expecting much from a graphical stand point anyway. To me, bungie has never had a graphical showcase type of game. The halo series always looked good enough to me, nothing special.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    not a game i'm interested in, but i'm sure there will be many disappointed in this x-gen game.

http://gamingbolt.com/bungie-explain...4-and-xbox-one
    I'm not interested either, but this kind of crap just pisses me off....

We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience, that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles.
    Cuz this...

making sure they have the same experience
    and this....

that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles
    Contradict each other.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah bloody cross platform.

I'm fairly disappointed that LBP3, Tomb Raider, and some others are cross plat. Bloody ridiculous.

$#@!ING LET GO OF LAST GEN ALREADY!

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    You guys make good points about the cross gen stuff. I agree and if I was disappointed in anything in relation to this game, it's that. But even if it wasn't, I don't think it would visually look that much better.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Captncoke49 View Post
    You guys make good points about the cross gen stuff. I agree and if I was disappointed in anything in relation to this game, it's that. But even if it wasn't, I don't think it would visually look that much better.
    True.

But I just think every time you go cross gen, you limit the ceiling of the product from the get go. Separate teams or not. I think having separate teams just lessens that, but not necessarily eliminate it.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    True.

But I just think every time you go cross gen, you limit the ceiling of the product from the get go. Separate teams or not. I think having separate teams just lessens that, but not necessarily eliminate it.
    You're right. I'm guilty for ignoring that fact as well. I've been so excited for this game ever since they announced it. So I'm giving it a pass that I otherwise wouldn't give. Shame on me. Lol

Master Sage
    Think I'll wait for the sequel framerate doesn't really bother me but no splitscreen does.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Not 60fps is shocking?

LOL.

Get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    True.

No where near as limiting as targeting 60fps.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    To be fair to bungie, this game isn't going to be annualised.

It's one game they will support for years and years (didn't they say 10 years?), ergo, 1080p30 with headroom to further development on the title is acceptable.

They can bump up the graphics engine in 2 or 3 years time and still hit 1080p30. they can add a crapload of new content, PvP 34 player arena's. and players won't have to sacrifice performance. If they were to go 1080p60, it would limit what they could do in 5 or 8 years time (assuming people still play the game then)

It gives the legroom going forward, the PS360 version will probably die out very quickly. Chances are, Destiny on last gen consoles will not get much of the free update packs, thus resigning them to the archives of time.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I don't care about the 60fps thing but I'm sick of this cross gen crap.

I haven't bought a cross gen title new for my ps4 and I refuse to do so in the future.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

12. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Hands up who remembers the days when we didn't nit pick about resolutions and frame rates.

With each generation consoles are becoming more PC like and console gamers are becoming more picky about frame rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I don't care about the 60fps thing but I'm sick of this cross gen crap.

I haven't bought a cross gen title new for my ps4 and I refuse to do so in the future.
    Sounds so much like a typical PC elitist when they say such things like "Console dumbed the graphics down"
    Last edited by keefy; 06-18-2014 at 02:59.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    So basically cross gen/parity? Got it, let me know when they finally drop last gen and focus on gen 8

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    So basically cross gen/parity? Got it, let me know when they finally drop last gen and focus on gen 8

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Hands up who remembers the days when we didn't nit pick about resolutions and frame rates.

With each generation consoles are becoming more PC like and console gamers are becoming more picky about frame rates.

Sounds so much like a typical PC elitist when they say such things like "Console dumbed the graphics down"
    "We don't want to upset last gen gamers." "We're not going to try and max out current gen hardware" Yep, well within my bounds of not purchasing. Far from those pc idiots(the ones that brag about the gpu costing more than a current gen console) that will never have their hardware taken fully advantage of.

If last gen gamers miss out on features then they should just chalk that up to the old hardware that they are gaming on. While devs are finding their middle ground, they're completely forgetting that these added current gen only features and such could generate more current gen sales. Console gamers don't cry when PC gamers get to mod their titles. It's expected for various reasons.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 06-18-2014 at 03:47.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Dedicated Member
    And another game falls prey to the transition phase stigma. Frankly, all you early adopters should have expected this, it happens every generation. I don't think you'll see developers completely giving up on ps3/360 development (iow, properly utilizing ps4/x1 tech) before late 2015/early 2016, those consoles have much larger install bases. With news such as these, i almost feel reassured in my decision of not jumping in early this time around.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I'm not interested either, but this kind of crap just pisses me off....

Cuz this...

and this....

Contradict each other.
    In simple terms, they don't want to repeat something like GRAW on the 360 and original xbox.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    And another game falls prey to the transition phase stigma. Frankly, all you early adopters should have expected this, it happens every generation. I don't think you'll see developers completely giving up on ps3/360 development (iow, properly utilizing ps4/x1 tech) before late 2015/early 2016, those consoles have much larger install bases. With news such as these, i almost feel reassured in my decision of not jumping in early this time around.
    I've seen plenty of games that have taken advantage of the differing hardwares and not tried to make them identical. Like I said, wasn't interested in this game anyway and it certainly doesn't make me regret buying a PS4. Not sure why that is even a point here.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    No where near as limiting as targeting 60fps.
    that's a load of bullcrap. PS2 is going to be 60fps at 1080p and it's bigger in scope and looks almost as good, considering it's a 2012 title.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Right, how is watch dogs and wolfenstein game sales on last gen consoles? hint: abysmal! compared to the number the ps4 is pulling. even combining ps3/360 numbers, the ps4 alone still had the majority for those 2 games...and I suspect the same will happen with destiny

devs need to drop last gen and fast...if not, then they need to seriously stop gimping current gen games because of parity. I don't mind content parity but holding a games visuals of performance back will not fly with my wallet

Last edited by YoungMullah88; 06-18-2014 at 04:37.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I've seen plenty of games that have taken advantage of the differing hardwares and not tried to make them identical. Like I said, wasn't interested in this game anyway and it certainly doesn't make me regret buying a PS4. Not sure why that is even a point here.
    I didn't say identical, surely there will be a difference, even with destiny you'll see some clear cut advantages with the ps4/x1 versions even though the game is being coded for all platforms, but my point was you won't see proper/full utilization of next gen hardware, the way it should be, still for some time to come. Transition phase.

Dedicated Member
    Right, how is watch dogs and wolfenstein game sales on last gen consoles? hint: abysmal! compared to the number the ps4 is pulling. even combining ps3/360 numbers, the ps4 alone still had the majority for those 2 games...and I suspect the same will happen with destiny

devs need to drop last gen and fast...if not, then they need to seriously stop gimping current gen games because of parity. I don't mind content parity but holding a games visuals of performance back will not fly with my wallet

Why else are these studios even bothering coding for the ps3/360 if they know there aren't enough sales to be made on ps3/360? I'm sure the sales teams these people have do their homework. The ps3/360 still have a larger market share than ps4/x1 and in some markets ps3 is just taking off.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    I didn't say identical, surely there will be a difference, even with destiny you'll see some clear cut advantages with the ps4/x1 versions even though the game is being coded for all platforms, but my point was you won't see proper/full utilization of next gen hardware, the way it should be, still for some time to come. Transition phase.
    That's what first party titles are for.

Dedicated Member
    That's what first party titles are for.

First party titles surely help in that regard as theyre targetting a specific platform from the get go. But even with multiplat third party titles, you'll see a definite step up once the transition phase subsides and developers start concentrating their resources on ps4/x1. It happens every generation , go compare early year multiplat games on ps3 to the ones that came out last few years, they are an obvious step up.

Dedicated Member
    First party titles surely help in that regard as theyre targetting a specific platform from the get go. But even with multiplat third party titles, you'll see a definite step up once the transition phase subsides and developers start concentrating their resources on ps4/x1. It happens every generation , go compare early year multiplat games on ps3 to the ones that came out last few years, they are an obvious step up.
    An example of this would be Arkham Knight.

Thread Information