Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Oculus founder Palmer Luckey thinks 30 frames per second is 'a failure'

Developers offer plenty of reasons for 30 frames per second in blockbuster games, but Palmer Luckey isnít having a bar of it. According to the Oculus Rift founder not only is it inexcusable in virtual reality, but even consoles and onscreen PC games shouldnít be let off the hook.

ďFor VR you need much higher frame rate than you need on a typical screen,Ē Luckey told LinusTechTips. ď60 frames per second is definitely enough. You see huge improvements up to 90 and 120hz, and even beyond that you can see small improvements."

While 60 frames per second is sufficient, Luckey thinks much higher frame rates will become the norm for VR gaming. "Virtual reality is going to need much higher frame rates than consoles," he said. "Although even for consoles or traditional PC games I donít think 30 frames per second is smart. Itís not a good artistic decision, itís a failure.Ē

ďI think that you see diminishing returns between 90 and 120 hz, so In the foreseeable VR is going to end up somewhere in that range.Ē

Oculus's Brendan Iribe made similar comments on resolution last year, with the suggestion that higher visual fidelity will offset motion sickness.ďThere are a lot of challenges, like resolution, itís a big one on the current dev kit. You canít imagine what itís going to look like when itís 4K, and itís not far away. Itís not now, but itís coming,Ē he said.

We spoke to Naughty Dog co-founder Nate Mitchell last week at E3. He's recently joined Oculus and has some interesting things to say about the company's renewed focus on VR content.
    Source

Finally glad someone in the industry stood up and said what I was thinking. I really despise gaming at 30fps as I've become really sensitive to it and even in games where traditionally frame rate doesn't matter a sub 60fps gives me a poor experience.

Granted he is mainly talking about VR but I think the point stands for both VR and traditional screen gaming. Very glad to hear VR will be between 90-120fps. That's the frame rate I usually target when setting up my games.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Forum Guru
    For VR and 3D it is.

But for traditional games in general stable 30fps has it's place and Vsynced stable 40fps would be a good compromise in terms of image fluidity and cost of power.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

3. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I don't mind 30fps locked.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I personally like the buttery smoothness of 60+fps! 1080p and 60fps should be a minimum starting this gen, if they can't meet those two criteria then tone back the game enough to hit it!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I personally like the buttery smoothness of 60+fps! 1080p and 60fps should be a minimum starting this gen, if they can't meet those two criteria then tone back the game enough to hit it!
    That's pretty much how I feel regarding the matter. I really, really hate 30fps. Call me a snob, elitist or whatever you want but I just don't get how people can say 30fps is acceptable.

I think with more games hitting 60fps with this generation of hardware we will see more gamers start to get as annoyed with 30 FPS as I get.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

7. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    30fps is perfectly fine in games that do not need any higher. Sports and FPS games should be 60fps.

VR and 3D should absolutely be 60fps.

9. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    here's the problem:
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I don't mind 30fps locked.
    this is why it will never go away on consoles. maybe lessen but never will go away.

11. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    30fps is perfectly fine in games that do not need any higher. Sports and FPS games should be 60fps.

VR and 3D should absolutely be 60fps.
    The only genre of games I can think of that I don't care about frame rate is Hearthstone. And that's cause it's a card game. I guess strategy games as a whole can be 30fps as little movement.

Any time I'm controlling a character or driving a car though, then I want it 60fpd minimum.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    30FPS looks $#@! on PC games. No ifs ands or buts. Go play the Quantum of solace demo, it is capped at 30fps.
    For some reason it doesn't look so bad on consoles.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    30FPS looks $#@! on PC games. No ifs ands or buts. Go play the Quantum of solace demo, it is capped at 30fps.
    For some reason it doesn't look so bad on consoles.
    It could be linked to the differences in input, keyboard and mouse are very sensitive and responsive controls, while a game pad has a but more lag due to the lower accuracy in some of the controls. Mouse twitch and you want a precise instant response, but analogue controls and thumb sticks have some deadzones. Perhaps?

Might also have something to do which what you were first exposed to, people starting at 60 and going down to 30 find it more difficult than starting at 30 and working way up to 60?

15. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Forum Sage

You probably hit the nail on the head there Sajuuk, with both points.

Power Member
    I don't think the second part is entirely it, whilst it does have some part in the answer I don't think it is all the answer.
    Running the same game on PC and console using the same monitor/TV at 30FPS the console version will usually look smoother.

How does Killzone Shadow fall look when you enable to 30FPS cap? Does it look jittery and juddery or nice and smooth? When enable a cap on PC games it looks jittery and juddery.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-23-2014 at 17:05.

Extreme Poster
    that's because those games are "designed" to be locked at 30fps on consoles. especially next-gen games. so the games appear smoother, you are correct with that assumption.

PC games aren't targetted to be a certain frame rate so fluctuations can occur and a good way to fix that issue is to have a fps high enough where these fluctuations aren't noticeable.

Elite Sage
    As I see it, more competitive and "hardcore" the game is, more it needs 60fps. And by "hardcore" I mean games like Devil May Cry, where speed etc. are very important.
    I hate hearing kind of excuse from developers that they want their game to be cinematic or that the difference doesn't matter when they lock on 30fps. We play videogames, not movies and of course fps difference matters.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Power Member
    Only the poor ports are locked to 30FPS on PC though. 60FPS isnnt as bad but still bad for similar reasons. Titanfall is capped at 60FPS so you get tearing also Rage and basically all id tech 4/5 games are capped at 60FPS due to the nature of the engine.

When gsync and the freesync come more standard it will matter less because the monitors will match the frame rates which I think these oculos devices will utilise.
    Last edited by keefy; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:26.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    When gsync and the freesync come more standard it will matter less because the monitors will match the frame rates which I think these oculos devices will utilise.
    I really hope this will be the case, because the possibility of ~13ms additional delay on when frame is dropped will feel bad with VR headset. (in case if final glasses have 75hz display.. framerate of 60fps would mean ~15 frames dropped every second.)
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    I really hope this will be the case, because the possibility of ~13ms additional delay on when frame is dropped will feel bad with VR headset. (in case if final glasses have 75hz display.. framerate of 60fps would mean ~15 frames dropped every second.)
    This is one reason why I am waiting to re-build my system at home...I am waiting until the consumer version of the Oculus Rift, once that releases I am going to build the fastest computer I can afford, which will crush what I am currently using! (Core2Duo @ 3Ghz with nVidia 9600GT...DON'T LAUGH!)

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Extreme Poster
    This is one reason why I am waiting to re-build my system at home...I am waiting until the consumer version of the Oculus Rift, once that releases I am going to build the fastest computer I can afford, which will crush what I am currently using! (Core2Duo @ 3Ghz with nVidia 9600GT...DON'T LAUGH!)
    why laugh? i still got my overloaded 7600GS XFX which was even $#@!ty back in 2005 lol when i bought it. i still use an athlon II X2 240 processor.

Power Member
    Dont wait, waiting only takes longer.

Thread Information