Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

What is it with games lacking mod support recently?

PCG: As a PC player I'm curious if I'll be able to mod Siege; it seems like it would be a great fit for people to make their own maps and scenarios and things like that. Is this something you have talked about?
    Witts:

We haven't really gone too much into detail on custom or user-generated content. Again, we are pre-alpha, right, so we want to make sure that we are iterating on the gameplay first. We don't want to get too ambitious too early or go in all these different directions. We're here pretty much just showing off the base gameplay and if the community really opens up and they really want the series to go in any certain direction, we are going to listen to them. This is a very iterative game. We've gone through iterations of the game. That's why we're [at E3] with our pre-alpha build showing exactly how far we've come and what we have. We think it's really special. We are going to keep our ear to the ground and make sure we listen to the community and what they want, especially the fans. It's been a while. We've heard a lot of things and so being back, we're making sure we are going to listen to the community and what they want.
    So whilst I was reading this interview regarding the new Rainbow 6 this quote got me a bit annoyed. You can clearly see he was dodging the question and didn't want to say a flat out no but it's obvious the game wont support mods.

Why is it that these big budget games don't support mods? I'm 99.999% sure it is because they don't want the community to release mods of the game when they can make money forcing us to buy their DLC rather than the free bits that are made for the community.

DICE/EA have done it but they tried to make it sounds like the Frostbite engine would be too hard for modders to use so they removed it - what a load of tosh. They've did it so we are forced to spend the money on their premium rubbish. BF Hardline is essentially a mod they are trying to charge full price for. There is absolutely no reason, at all, for them to be doing this other than to make maximum profit from the end user.

I was really hoping that the new RB6 would support mods but after reading this, it is clear it wont. I'm really hoping that GTA:V stays true to it's roots and lets players mod their game however they see fit.

Modding is one of the biggest strengths of PC gaming, ignoring the brute power it has, over console gaming yet they refuse to allow gamers to do it.

DayZ, LoL, WoW, Counter Strike, Left 4 Dead and probably many more games I can't think of were all created from mods - why oh why have they started to really take this away from us?

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    LOL, if you wanna know what bethesda are going to add to the next Elder Scrolls. Hit up the nexus top 100, you'll know what to expect

I think it's fair to say, modders fixed the PC port of Skyrim for bethesda. 1.4 patch included 'fixes' the community had to discover.

Yeah, i'm not one to purchase DLC. you can probably count on one hand the amount of DLC content i've purchased. Publishers have the final say though. And money is the name of the game for them

It's quite a shame, i've only just finished modding my copy of Skyrim to it's eyeballs and im quite pleased with the results.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage

Case in point is a game like Skrym, i'm not a huge fan of it but when I see what modders have done I'm always impressed. I was just feeling like venting about something that has been bugging me recently.

Roll on UT, i had more fun with player made maps in that than any other game.
    Last edited by BBK..; 06-19-2014 at 13:29.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Of course it is, but they dotn realise if the mod is fun then people buy the base game just to play the mod. CS was the same, that was massively popular mod, more popular than the base game's multiplayer Half Life (yes it does have Multiplayer) but you needed the Half life to play the game so people bought it in droves.

Maybe the mods will make the game look more fun and entertaining than what I saw at the E3 event.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-19-2014 at 13:41.

Forum Sage

Another positive point for mods. They help sell games, it's pretty much free advertising.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Yeah, I just bought another copy of Doom so that I could play the Brutal Doom mod.

I can think of a couple drawbacks though:

• John Romero said that mods put a lot more pressure on the development team and can simply make their own levels look lame in comparison. For example, he said people would probably be disappointed if he made more Doom levels today, since there have been so many amazing level packs created by the community.
    • And yes, DLC. The current big-budget shooter franchises depend a lot on the downloadable map packs after release. If the community was releasing cool levels for free, the DLC would be drowned out somewhat.

But in the end, I think you have to ask what's best for the consumer. If you deliver that, you'll be rewarded in the long-run.

PSU Live Streamer
    It's just too bad that Steam VAC banner can ban your steam account for mods it feels aren't good.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    It's just too bad that Steam VAC banner can ban your steam account for mods it feels aren't good.
    Thats bull$#@!.

Forum Sage

First i've ever heard about this?

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I wouldn't say that games lack modding support recently, I think it's quite the opposite, a lot of games nowadays are built from the ground up with modding in mind. Now that game engines and graphics pipelines are either free or close to free across the board, it means that all of the tools are ready for games to be modified from the off. Just look at all of the recent StarDock games, Star Citizen, Unreal Tournament 4, Crysis games, Fallout and the Elder Scrolls games, and basically any game that uses the Unreal Engine, Cry Engine, Unity, Source, and the $#@!ty Monumental engine at Bethesda.

LUA also seems to be gaining a lot of traction in more costly games too due not only for its modability, but also its ease of debugging, configuring in-game stats, organisation, and portability across multi-platforms.

You only get VAC banned by moderators within those VAC enabled games in multiplayer mode if you are doing something questionable including mods that intentionally give you an advantage. They DO NOT VAC ban you for modding the game for your own personal enjoyment if it does not affect the overall multiplayer outcome.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    You only get VAC banned by moderators within those VAC enabled games in multiplayer mode if you are doing something questionable including mods that intentionally give you an advantage. They DO NOT VAC ban you for modding the game for your own personal enjoyment if it does not affect the overall multiplayer outcome.
    Last I checked people were getting banned for gfx mods in Dark Souls 2.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Last I checked people were getting banned for gfx mods in Dark Souls 2.
    Sweetfx hooks into the game the same way a hack would. The readme specifically states you will be banned if used for online multiplayer. At least, It did when I read it about a year ago. Users own fault for not reading what the mod they are installing actually does. Steam are happy for me to run skse right from their interface.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Power Member
    Those arent mods they are hacks. A mod is separated from the main base game. e.g Quake 3 and CPMA. Arma 2 and DayZ, they have their own dll files and other things.

Forum Sage

That's true Varsh but I find most of the games coming out on console as well as PC lack mod support.

Friendship is Carrots
    Besides Bethesda it's really only indie devs that support mods natively anymore (Don't Starve, Rimworld, KerbalSpaceProgram, and eventually Minecraft). It's really sad.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Power Member
    Don't forget Valve. They support mods and probably always will since most of their games originated from mods in the first place.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    And Epic, all of Epic's PC games have and always will be modable as they encourage it, in fact most of Unreal Tournaments and modes in other Epic's games have come from mods, actually most of the team currently working at Epic are from modding with the Unreal Engine. I think CryTek are the same too.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Pretty much all the big developers that originated in the PC space. Valve, Epic, id, Bethesda, etc.

It's the companies that focus mainly on console gaming who take it less seriously.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Pretty much all the big developers that originated in the PC space. Valve, Epic, id, Bethesda, etc.

It's the companies that focus mainly on console gaming who take it less seriously.
    Just what I was about to say. Seems console developers don't want to let us get in on the action.

understandable. Imagine the upload if PC players got mods on certain games and had access to a plethora of content not available on consoles. There would be a massive complaint going.

Thread Information