Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

What do you want from DOOM 4?

As you may or may not have heard, id Software is officially unveiling DOOM 4 at QuakeCon next month (July 17th). See below for the teaser trailer they released at E3 last week:

I figured now would be the perfect time to discuss what we all want from the next entry in the DOOM series. Should it be more like the classic DOOM games? Should it be more like DOOM 3? Should it be a combination of both? Or something completely new?

Here are my thoughts:

1] Fast-paced gameplay: Most big-budget shooters these days are grounded, slow, scripted, etc. Playing the original DOOM games feels refreshing these days because it's a fast-paced, no bull$#@!, heavy metal experience. While DOOM 3 was a good game, having another game similar to DOOM 3 would not stand out among other modern shooters and survival horror games. Bring back the fast movement and action feel.

2] Music that mixes energy and ambience: Again, part of why the original DOOM feels fresh is because it actually has cool, memorable music while you play, and it's not your typical orchestral movie-like score. Instead of simply having one song for each level, the music should be done more organically these days. Accentuate certain areas with heavy, energetic music and accentuate certain sections with ambient music.

3] Improved enemy dismemberment, reactions, and gore: Part of the reason why the original DOOM is satisfying is because you're able to kill most of the enemies in one or two blasts. But if there's a more powerful enemy? They're bullet sponges that simply grunt when hit, until they die. DOOM 4 should make those encounters more satisfying by having realistic reactions to each blast. Did you shoot a Baron of Hell in the left thigh? His left thigh should be blown off, but he'll still be alive and will still attack you until you hurt him enough. This would be a natural way of increasing the sense of satisfaction the original games provide.

4] Instead of just copying the classic DOOM games, emphasize what worked and it do it in a modern framework: What do I mean by this? Emphasize what I discussed above, but improve the overall formula with modern features such as an open world and co-op. Should it be open world like Skyrim, filled with NPCs and towns? Hell no. The overall experience of DOOM 4 should feel immediate. But make it open enough for some player choice.

5] Kickass competitive multiplayer: This is important, but to be honest, I'm not sure how to improve upon Quake III Arena. Obviously, you can improve the visuals, you can add dynamic/destructible environments, you can increase the player count, etc. Adding vehicles would drastically change the formula and make for a less immediate experience (EX: see SOCOM III). I wouldn't do it, but perhaps it could work.

6] Amp up the Satanic imagery: This one is pretty simple. Really make it feel like Hell is taking over. Don't just have demons and fire. Include the pentagrams, inverted crosses, etc. Emphasize the biblical aspects of Hell.

7] Satisfying gunplay: This is probably the most important thing on this list. But this is a simple one. Shooting a gun and hitting/killing an enemy has to feel good. This means we need sound effects with a punch, enemies that react to your attacks, cool animations, solid controller rumble, etc. RAGE did this quite well. Destiny also does this well.

8] Keep scripted sequences to a minimum: Scripted sequences that take away player control will lessen the replay value. Put the story in the background and have it optional for the player to explore. Basically, make it like DOOM 3 except without the cut-scenes.

10] The Double-barrel shotgun: Enough said.

What do YOU want from DOOM 4?

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The typical id trademarks; overpowered shotgun and the BFG.
    Even the music in Doom 3 was memorable and catchy.
    Think I might download it again and remind myself f how it plays.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Sorry but I'd rather not have inverted crosses. That's just a stupid reference to Christianity. Doom never had anything like that before. It would just feel out of place.

I don't mind pentagrams though. That mixed with candlelights and blood creates a really unsettling and creepy atmosphere. I agree with the rest though.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    Sorry but I'd rather not have inverted crosses. That's just a stupid reference to Christianity. Doom never had anything like that before. It would just feel out of place.
    Actually, it did have inverted crosses:

Those doors were seen pretty often in Episodes 2 and 3 of DOOM.

DOOM's hell is very much a Christian hell. One interesting thing id Software can do for DOOM 4 is incorporate underworld imagery and creatures from other religions and mythologies, such as Greek mythology, Norse mythology, and Hindu mythology.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Oh ok my bad. Never noticed them.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    Oh ok my bad. Never noticed them.
    The game is almost as old as yourself.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The game is almost as old as yourself.
    I remember playing the original DOOM when I was five years old. My family just bought our first computer (back in 1995), and it was actually my mom who downloaded DOOM and showed it to us. lol

I can't believe she did that, but I haven't killed anyone...yet...

Ultimate Veteran
    Your mom sounds cool. Lol. I've only ever played Doom 3 but I would be interested in seeing a more fast-paced installment. I especially like your idea of having both energetic and ambient music within levels. Also, if I'm not mistake, didn't the original Doom offer a lot more space to move around in its levels? I think that'd be the most important thing to see.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 4 Weeks Ago at 21:50.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Loved Doom 3 so as long as they don't do anything drastically different I shall be happy! Only thing I could say is make it darker and scarier!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Master Sage
    Simpson's mod

Forum Guru
    Gameplay:
    - Allow most/some areas to have dynamic AI/monster interaction, starting points and roaming, which are activate even when player is not close.
    This would allow fun replaying of same levels as monsters would rarely come in same locations outside somewhat scripted events.

- Dynamic mission structure. (Game might ask to fix different things within level.)
    Again slight variations in game structure would allow varied gameplay between players and keep surprises fresh.

- Sometimes/mostly freeroaming levels like in Doom1 % Doom2. (not only one way to forward corridors.)

Techincal:
    - Proper dynamic lighting like seen in Doom3 PC version with all/most lights casting shadows.
    - Proper secondary lighting, GI and so on.
    - Displacement mapping using virtual textures. (would allow highly compressed and detailed surfaces everywhere with decent LoD.)
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

That Band Is Awful
    PSN ID
    pasta_fire
    Loved Doom 3 and am really looking forward to D4. Got beta access with Wolfenstein so hopefully at the conference next week they will announce a beta date at least.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    I've only ever played Doom 3 but I would be interested in seeing a more fast-paced installment.
    Damn, son. You gotta at least play the original Doom. It's only a 4 hour game or so. One of the most perfect games ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Loved Doom 3 so as long as they don't do anything drastically different I shall be happy! Only thing I could say is make it darker and scarier!
    On the contrary, I hope Doom 4 is very different than Doom 3, which was a rather slow and scripted experience. Doom 3 is a good game, but I don't think it's nearly as replayable as the classic Doom games.

Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    Gameplay:
    - Allow most/some areas to have dynamic AI/monster interaction, starting points and roaming, which are activate even when player is not close.
    This would allow fun replaying of same levels as monsters would rarely come in same locations outside somewhat scripted events.

- Dynamic mission structure. (Game might ask to fix different things within level.)
    Again slight variations in game structure would allow varied gameplay between players and keep surprises fresh.

- Sometimes/mostly freeroaming levels like in Doom1 % Doom2. (not only one way to forward corridors.)
    Some great ideas here. Replayability is a big reason why the classic games are considered so good. Having dynamic levels, monsters, and missions would expand upon that.

Quote Originally Posted by HWMbrogden View Post
    Got beta access with Wolfenstein so hopefully at the conference next week they will announce a beta date at least.
    I doubt we'll get a beta date at QuakeCon, since only the physical QuakeCon attendees will be able to see the unveiling. If they were to announce the beta date, it would probably be more of a public thing.

We'll obviously get some previews though, and hopefully the footage will leak.

Veteran
    Doom 3 was really good but it had too many cheap gameplay tricks for fright. Trip point, trigger monster. Grab health, monster appears behind you. Turn corner, don't see anything, enter corridor, monster behind you. No flashlight area, monster. Lot of trip point respawning, too.

Castle Wolfenstein was encouraging, the cheap tricks were decreased, not so many scripted trip points. And gibs! Doom 4 should just go for as much gore and horror as possible. It needs to give the feeling the original Doom gave when you got down into the deeper levels, just something about them that would make the hairs on my neck stand up.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Doom 3 was really good but it had too many cheap gameplay tricks for fright. Trip point, trigger monster. Grab health, monster appears behind you. Turn corner, don't see anything, enter corridor, monster behind you. No flashlight area, monster. Lot of trip point respawning, too.
    Even John Romero, one of the main creators of Doom 1 and Doom 2, said he couldn't finish Doom 3 because it was too predictable. That's part of the reason why it's not as replayable as the first two games.

As jlippone discussed, Doom 4 should be less about scripted sequences and more about exploring an open, dynamic environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    And gibs! Doom 4 should just go for as much gore and horror as possible.
    Yeah, I'm hoping the physics in the game are advanced enough to have chunks of flesh blown off for every shot, even if the enemy is still alive. T'would expand upon Doom's reputation for gore and would make for even more satisfying gunplay, especially for the larger enemies who take more than one shotgun blast to kill.

Thread Information