Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Id prefer a game with great gameplay and mediocre gfx over a truely beautiful game that plays like crap. Tho Id prefer a mixture of both.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Dont know much about this game do you?
    N why all the URE3 hate all of a sudden. Its not a bad engine.
    Even if i did know everything about the game, the mention of Unreal 3 would have put me right off.

I can't speak for everyone, and if you've seen any of my posts over the last couple of years, you'll know i have a bug bear for games running Unreal that don't come with any mention of "rewriting all of the code".

Simply put, there are many games i've been psyched to play but the logo basically spells out the experience. The animations are robotic, gameplay is lifeless and dull.

Don't get me wrong, there are EXCELLENT titles that utilise the tech, Bioshock Infinite, Batman arkham, Gears, Borderlands, these games have extensively re-written U3 code to fit what THEY want from the engine, not what the engine is capable of.... but most games absolutely fall flat. Games who have amazing premises. Remember me, Enslaved, Too Human, Dust 514, Aliens Colonial marines etc. etc.

-Irrational wrote in custom AI code to give Elizabeth life. EPIC! great game! Shooting was a little samey, but hey. the powers gave it a little something different.
    -Batman had to write in their own combat code, as U3 dosn't have support for it. As found out by the developers who produced the bourne games.
    -Gearbox made the unreal engine render cel shading, something epic didn't think it could do.

All great games. they took the unreal engine and made it something their own.

To give an example of one of my issues: The animation.

Take drake, or Sevchenko. Move them around and you'll see some pretty neat animation blending. Now move any Unreal character....he'll move like a robot. there is no life to them, and this extends to the gameplay. Take Mirrors Edge. Your Little pinky toe can touch a building by 0.00001mm and the unreal engine will not know that momentum should carry her forward, and you'll plummet to your death. Other engines utilise contextual animation systems that would automatically say "yep, momentum will carry over, load up tumble animation"...

There's also the fact that every male on the damn thing looks like they've sucked up one too many roids....seriously, the $#@! is wrong with them.

I could go on all day.

But my best one is seen in every U3 game. Collision.

Take Dust. Your super soldier can't even step over a damn curb at times. Say it's CCP, but boot up Mass Effect and run at an angle into objects and you'll get stuck on...something. Say it's just a bug, but you can do it across ME 1, 2 , & 3.

NOTE: this is just off the top of my head. Given i get called on it so often, i should probably prepare a cohesive write-up to paste whenever it happens

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    you don't know about SOCOM then lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by r_e_v View Post
    The proof of concept they created focused solely on the gameplay and making it fun to play. They aren't trying to stun everyone with the visuals, they are firm believers that gameplay is key. Unfortunately most people unaware of the SOCOM franchise and it's gameplay need to be reassured by having visuals that are AAA quality to be even slightly interested (which Unreal 4 will definitely will help here).

They aren't trying to copy Call of Duty or make a game with gimmicks that sell a lot of MP games these days. They want a game that is skill based and that captures the intensity and fundamentals that have been missing in many AAA titles these days.

These images are only a first look glimpse at transitioning their concept map into the Unreal 4 Engine.

This is a third person shooter based heavily on the SOCOM franchise. From what we've seen so far they've kept their word on bringing back the core gameplay experience we've been wanting since S3 was released (in many people's opinion the downfall of the series).
    Oh, i know about SOCOM, but see above for my reasoning to ANY game running Unreal Engine 3.

I don't care for COD experience (haven't played one since the first MW), but the Unreal experience is generally pretty poor. On PS3 i don't think a single game hit a solid 30fps. Take what Dice do with their engine. Long draw distances, Destruction, high (for a console) player counts, customizable player avatars, Leaping over objects (oh the simple things -_-)...Unreal is sooooooo far behind, and devs generally can't be arsed to bring their games up-to-date. Yeah, Frostbyte doesn't hit 30 FPS either, but it's doing soo much more....Aliens Colonial marines springs to mind as the perfect example of everything wrong with the engine.

P.S. Unreal games look nice, i don't take that away from it. It's also easy to work with, i don't take that away either. But fact is, every unreal game plays distinctly the same, and you know you're playing one almost instantly...If the texture streaming doesn't give it away....*smh*

NOTE: This is typically why im psyched for U4. their new animation system looks killer! If it works and remains the base engine going forward, i probably wont have much to complain about...Unreal 3 just sucked monkey nutts.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

3. Likes TidalPhoenix likes this post
    Veteran
    I only mention you not knowing anything about the game because you said its an FPS.

Then you go onto say it put you off just because it was URE3 then go on to name amazing games running URE3 o_O?

Oh well, looks like it's going to be URE4 now anyways. Lol

Last edited by faaeng; 06-22-2014 at 06:22.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    And on the 1st day, God made Fijians deep rooted hatred for unreal engine, and he saw that it was good. that's how far back this disdain goes.

Sent from my GT-I9000

6. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    And on the 1st day, God made Fijians deep rooted hatred for unreal engine, and he saw that it was good. that's how far back this disdain goes.

Sent from my GT-I9000
    that sounds about right!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSN ID
    r_e_v
    I only mention you not knowing anything about the game because you said its an FPS.

Then you go onto say it put you off just because it was URE3 then go on to name amazing games running URE3 o_O?

Oh well, looks like it's going to be URE4 now anyways. Lol

That's why I questioned him as well, no SOCOMer would be caught dead calling it an FPS

--------------------------

Also, many of the things you mention Fij (bulky characters, physics, animations, characters feeling like robots) are all tweaked and fine tuned by developers.

Bulky characters are obviously the default rig in Unreal lol, not all developers are going to use them and SOF Studios definitely isn't using Marcus Fenix style models, haha, they'll be modeling their own.

Animations being done in a motion capture studio, combined with tweaking response times, movement speeds, etc of the model should make a game have it's own unique feeling and non robotic (unless done by choice).

I absolutely hate games like Uncharted, Red Dead, Grand Theft Auto, etc, where your character feels "weighted", how he always takes that one extra step, that over-realistic feeling, but that's the developer's choice, it's not an engine limitation.

I'm not saying I hate those games, but when you're playing games like Uncharted's multiplayer, it's really annoying since I come from a background of competitive games, where it's about quick and responsive movements.

In a game like SOCOM/H-Hour it requires quick and responsive movements, so that's how SOFs will code the game.

That is all in how the developer chooses to code their game, again, not because Unreal 3 can only put out robotic feeling movements.

I mean, really this is more of a debate over good vs bad developers and how talented they are, not the engine itself.

9. Likes HellsJester likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Fiji, it's running on UE4.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Fiji, it's running on UE4.
    it wasn't though. which was kinda my point, people put some faith in the unreal engine 3.

now that they've shifted to UE4 its all gravy

To clarify though, i see where the FPS thing is now....that was a typo on my part
    holding 'shift' to go all caps gets quite tedious. I automatically think FPS when the unreal engine gets discussed and that just followed the sentence.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    it wasn't though. which was kinda my point, people put some faith in the unreal engine 3.

now that they've shifted to UE4 its all gravy

To clarify though, i see where the FPS thing is now....that was a typo on my part
    holding 'shift' to go all caps gets quite tedious. I automatically think FPS when the unreal engine gets discussed and that just followed the sentence.
    Just another case of seeing URE3 and coming to a conclusion based solely on it. Hehe
    While I don't condone it
    [Cap Lock] can be your friend.

[Edit] skimmed through the kickstarter real quick because I dont recall them mentioning a specific game engine in their proposal be it UR3 or not. I dont see any mention tho it could have been updated.
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-22-2014 at 21:03.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Even if i did know everything about the game, the mention of Unreal 3 would have put me right off.

I can't speak for everyone, and if you've seen any of my posts over the last couple of years, you'll know i have a bug bear for games running Unreal that don't come with any mention of "rewriting all of the code".

Simply put, there are many games i've been psyched to play but the logo basically spells out the experience. The animations are robotic, gameplay is lifeless and dull.

Don't get me wrong, there are EXCELLENT titles that utilise the tech, Bioshock Infinite, Batman arkham, Gears, Borderlands, these games have extensively re-written U3 code to fit what THEY want from the engine, not what the engine is capable of.... but most games absolutely fall flat. Games who have amazing premises. Remember me, Enslaved, Too Human, Dust 514, Aliens Colonial marines etc. etc.

-Irrational wrote in custom AI code to give Elizabeth life. EPIC! great game! Shooting was a little samey, but hey. the powers gave it a little something different.
    -Batman had to write in their own combat code, as U3 dosn't have support for it. As found out by the developers who produced the bourne games.
    -Gearbox made the unreal engine render cel shading, something epic didn't think it could do.

All great games. they took the unreal engine and made it something their own.

To give an example of one of my issues: The animation.

Take drake, or Sevchenko. Move them around and you'll see some pretty neat animation blending. Now move any Unreal character....he'll move like a robot. there is no life to them, and this extends to the gameplay. Take Mirrors Edge. Your Little pinky toe can touch a building by 0.00001mm and the unreal engine will not know that momentum should carry her forward, and you'll plummet to your death. Other engines utilise contextual animation systems that would automatically say "yep, momentum will carry over, load up tumble animation"...

There's also the fact that every male on the damn thing looks like they've sucked up one too many roids....seriously, the $#@! is wrong with them.

I could go on all day.

But my best one is seen in every U3 game. Collision.

Take Dust. Your super soldier can't even step over a damn curb at times. Say it's CCP, but boot up Mass Effect and run at an angle into objects and you'll get stuck on...something. Say it's just a bug, but you can do it across ME 1, 2 , & 3.

NOTE: this is just off the top of my head. Given i get called on it so often, i should probably prepare a cohesive write-up to paste whenever it happens

Oh, i know about SOCOM, but see above for my reasoning to ANY game running Unreal Engine 3.

I don't care for COD experience (haven't played one since the first MW), but the Unreal experience is generally pretty poor. On PS3 i don't think a single game hit a solid 30fps. Take what Dice do with their engine. Long draw distances, Destruction, high (for a console) player counts, customizable player avatars, Leaping over objects (oh the simple things -_-)...Unreal is sooooooo far behind, and devs generally can't be arsed to bring their games up-to-date. Yeah, Frostbyte doesn't hit 30 FPS either, but it's doing soo much more....Aliens Colonial marines springs to mind as the perfect example of everything wrong with the engine.

P.S. Unreal games look nice, i don't take that away from it. It's also easy to work with, i don't take that away either. But fact is, every unreal game plays distinctly the same, and you know you're playing one almost instantly...If the texture streaming doesn't give it away....*smh*

NOTE: This is typically why im psyched for U4. their new animation system looks killer! If it works and remains the base engine going forward, i probably wont have much to complain about...Unreal 3 just sucked monkey nutts.
    Your "collision" example seems more like it is the result of map makers not knowing the step heights of the playable characters. If the step height is 15 units and the map makers make a kerb 16 units then when you play the game you cannot walk over it, you have to jump. Same thing happens in all the Battlefield games, they ignore the step heights and do their own things that is why you end up running on the spot and have to jump over tiny obstacles and sometimes even steps FFS. Yet due tothem only being 1 or 2 or 5 units too high you cannot tell the difference.

Also not sure what the equivalent of "player clip" is in Unreal but I am sure it will have one. This texture can be placed over items to smooth them out so he player does not get stuck on them.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-22-2014 at 21:11.

PSN ID
    r_e_v
    Just another case of seeing URE3 and coming to a conclusion based solely on it. Hehe
    While I don't condone it
    [Cap Lock] can be your friend.

[Edit] skimmed through the kickstarter real quick because I dont recall them mentioning a specific game engine in their proposal be it UR3 or not. I dont see any mention tho it could have been updated.
    They only announced the Unreal Engine a few months back, it was unknown what engine was being used during the KS.

Regardless, this game was kickstarted off a lot of faith, hope, and desperation from fans craving the formula of the first two SOCOM games.

It's a golden formula that is just waiting to be rebuilt for people to become addicted too once again.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Would have preferred cryengine but UE4 should do for what they are trying to accomplish

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Game looks gravy and all, but now its saying they hope to be at E3 2015?! Thought it was supposed to release in Jan of '15, no? Me wanna cry!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    Game looks gravy and all, but now its saying they hope to be at E3 2015?! Thought it was supposed to release in Jan of '15, no? Me wanna cry!
    pc beta will be out early next year then ps4 later on in the year

Forum Overseer
    so basically when i bought a PS3 back in feb 2007 thinking that we'd get a "good" socom game soon, i was looking at about 9 years? and i mean, this isn't even Sony.

Veteran
    so basically when i bought a PS3 back in feb 2007 thinking that we'd get a "good" socom game soon, i was looking at about 9 years? and i mean, this isn't even Sony.
    Welcome to the club. XD

PSN ID
    r_e_v
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    pc beta will be out early next year then ps4 later on in the year

Won't be too much of a wait from the PC to PS4 beta...

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by r_e_v View Post
    Won't be too much of a wait from the PC to PS4 beta...
    I hope so, regardless I bought a laptop, downloaded grid demo off steam and cranked all the options that allowed me to go ultra and the laptop held steady 60fps! so I guess I got me a decent gaming laptop. (hp 4th gen i7, with an invidia GTX....don't know which variant) just need to download a driver to use the ds4.

PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    I hope so, regardless I bought a laptop, downloaded grid demo off steam and cranked all the options that allowed me to go ultra and the laptop held steady 60fps! so I guess I got me a decent gaming laptop. (hp 4th gen i7, with an invidia GTX....don't know which variant) just need to download a driver to use the ds4.

What Laptop?

PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    It hasn't even been funded yet........... If ever.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by xPSYCHOPATH410x View Post
    It hasn't even been funded yet........... If ever.
    What are you talking about? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery

PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    That was a kick starter to make a "Proof Of Concept" to secure real funding to make the actual real game. Which they have yet to find a willing investor to fund them. You better read that kick starter buddy. I think you mistaken that funding as the real funding. Which it was not.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    That was a kick starter to make a "Proof Of Concept" to secure real funding to make the actual real game. Which they have yet to find a willing investor to fund them. You better read that kick starter buddy. I think you mistaken that funding as the real funding. Which it was not.
    Bah! Glad i didnt donate money to them then. Thanks for the heads up.

PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Bah! Glad i didnt donate money to them then. Thanks for the heads up.
    This is why none of this really means anything unless they actually get real funding. Everyone is getting all hyped up and it may never get funded. People should hold any excitement until they get the proper funding. Or else you could be setting yourselves up for a big disappointment if the funding never comes.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    This is why none of this really means anything unless they actually get real funding. Everyone is getting all hyped up and it may never get funded. People should hold any excitement until they get the proper funding. Or else you could be setting yourselves up for a big disappointment if the funding never comes.
    Well they can always try do what Next Car Game did. Their kickstarter actually failed but they had enough done to put it in early access on Steam and with all the money they got from that they had enough to fund the entire game.

Thread Information