Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Thoughts on EA Sports UFC?

So I got it from Gamefly and it's not quite what I expected. I'm awful at ground game, pretty bad at the clinch, and godawful at takedown defense. Getting used to stand up though. Overall on the defense side in terrible except for stand up. It's just so confusing remembering most of these commands while trying to keep from getting submitted. Not to mention once I get put into full mount the round is pretty much lost for me. I can only go into two transitions full mount or giving up my back. It'svery frustrating.

I'm just not sure on how to reverse the positions on the ground. I understand how to keep them from transition but but not to reverse into an offensive position myself. Overall the gameplayis pretty smooth. There are some bad frame drops at times. Overall I'm enjoying it just wished they did a better job of explaining. Should have added an advanced tutorials or practice mode with situations to practice. Kind of hard to learn when they don't really go into real big detail.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Elder
    I have a friend that thinks it's the best game ever. I watched him play and the characters are so lifelike and they look real. He says the ground game is hard but is getting used tobit.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    it just doesnt feel right. fails to excite me, capture the MMA vibe for me

graphically tremendous

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I love the $#@! out of this game. Once you learn the ground and clinch aspect, the game just becomes outstanding. I am 8-2 in online matches. Just won the UFC title in career and defended twice.

Easily my favorite UFC game to date.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    I love the $#@! out of this game. Once you learn the ground and clinch aspect, the game just becomes outstanding. I am 8-2 in online matches. Just won the UFC title in career and defended twice.

Easily my favorite UFC game to date.
    Any way you can explain the defensive part of the ground game and clinch? I'm terrible at it. Offensive wise I'm not to bad.

Apprentice
    Think its average, beautiful looking game but average every where else..fails to stir any excitement or capture the MMA feel.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Any way you can explain the defensive part of the ground game and clinch? I'm terrible at it. Offensive wise I'm not to bad.
    Ground game is all about having the best position. You must hold R1 and use the right analog stick to get a better position when your opponent is trying to reverse your position. Being in your opponents full guard is usually not a good thing. They will be able to attempt submissions easier.

If they attempt a submission, you want to use the right analog stick and press in a direction and try to fill the bar. Your opponent will try to guess the direction you are in. You will want to press a different direction to keep filling in the meter. Once you fill the meter, you will escape the submission. You will know they guessed the proper direction when the meter stops filling up. Time to press and hold that right stick in a different direction quickly.

If you are the one trying the submission, you want to press and hold the right analog stick in the direction your opponent is pressing. That will stop the meter from filling up. Once you see a red left stick icon appear, you want to flick your left stick in that direction to progress in the submission.

Clinching is about control as well. Learn how to control your opponent in the clinch. There are many different ways to attack, and if you press and hold L2, you can try to take your opponent down from within the clinch. Or you can hold R1 and rotate the right analog stick while clicking L3. That will help you break out of the clinch. This is the same method to escape while you are on the ground.

Once you understand the clinch and the ground game, the game just becomes so much more enjoyable. It is not fun when you fear being taken down all the time. And learn how to sprawl and deny they takedown. That will help out a lot!
    Last edited by Lethal; 06-22-2014 at 13:32.

8. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Superior Member
    UFC is far to deep of combat to be translated into any sort of modern controller intuitively. In other words, it feels weird.

The boxing games like Fight Night had solid controls due to how simple the sport is when translating your actions to a gamepad.
    Mouth Pounding since 95'

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Ground game is all about having the best position. You must hold R1 and use the right analog stick to get a better position when your opponent is trying to reverse your position. Being in your opponents full guard is usually not a good thing. They will be able to attempt submissions easier.

If they attempt a submission, you want to use the right analog stick and press in a direction and try to fill the bar. Your opponent will try to guess the direction you are in. You will want to press a different direction to keep filling in the meter. Once you fill the meter, you will escape the submission. You will know they guessed the proper direction when the meter stops filling up. Time to press and hold that right stick in a different direction quickly.

If you are the one trying the submission, you want to press and hold the right analog stick in the direction your opponent is pressing. That will stop the meter from filling up. Once you see a red left stick icon appear, you want to flick your left stick in that direction to progress in the submission.

Clinching is about control as well. Learn how to control your opponent in the clinch. There are many different ways to attack, and if you press and hold L2, you can try to take your opponent down from within the clinch. Or you can hold R1 and rotate the right analog stick while clicking L3. That will help you break out of the clinch. This is the same method to escape while you are on the ground.

Once you understand the clinch and the ground game, the game just becomes so much more enjoyable. It is not fun when you fear being taken down all the time. And learn how to sprawl and deny they takedown. That will help out a lot!
    I'm finally starting to figure it all out. Still suck at take down defense. Last fight I got taken down 5 times on 7 attempts before I got the knock out in the 2nd. But being muay thai so I would rather stand up anyway but this guy was having his way with me. To my defense his ground game was ranked like 89! Unfortunately for him, his stand up was 65 and mine is 85. I teed off on him.

Only thing I don't know how to do is keep my opponent from transitions in the clinch. Is it just like with ground. Hold R2 and right analog towards the direction they are trying to transition because that doesn't seem to work.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousBOB View Post
    UFC is far to deep of combat to be translated into any sort of modern controller intuitively. In other words, it feels weird.

The boxing games like Fight Night had solid controls due to how simple the sport is when translating your actions to a gamepad.
    Feels fine to me. It is like an RPG. You must put time in to really get the full enjoyment of the game. Anybody can stupidly pick up Fight Night and start dominating. You play me online in UFC, and I will decimate you. It is almost like a game of chess.

Forum Elder
    http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/2...uess-who-wins/

Justin beiber vs. Bruce Lee.

They gave to much credit to Justin but it's a funny scenario.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim

I thought subs were flicking the R stick as fast as you can? Same with defending.

So reversing, or stopping a sweep on the ground is R1 + Right stick?

Anyway, my thoughts are that the buttons, right stick, aren't as responsive as when THQ made it. It seems like there's a delay in input or that it doesn't do it at all when I rotate.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    I thought subs were flicking the R stick as fast as you can? Same with defending.

So reversing, or stopping a sweep on the ground is R1 + Right stick?

Anyway, my thoughts are that the buttons, right stick, aren't as responsive as when THQ made it. It seems like there's a delay in input or that it doesn't do it at all when I rotate.
    When trying to get out of submissions you have to basically push the right stick away from what the opponent is trying to stop you from. So say you push right and it goes up then stops, change direction. Basically the compete opposite of submission offense. Countering is R2 and flick the direction they are trying to transition to. Play the challenges. Helped me a lot.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    When trying to get out of submissions you have to basically push the right stick away from what the opponent is trying to stop you from. So say you push right and it goes up then stops, change direction. Basically the compete opposite of submission offense. Countering is R2 and flick the direction they are trying to transition to. Play the challenges. Helped me a lot.
    Is it a PUSH and HOLD; or a 'tap as quick as you can' type of flick? for defending.

I'm still flicking when it comes to attempting submissions.

My little gripe:
    Nothing worse than COMPLETELY losing a sub cause you $#@! up - doesn't happen that way EA in real life. At least not most of the time.

Subs should be, if you screw up, then you get brought down a 'stage' of the sub. And depending on what position and/or what specific submission you've attempted, then it will mean they break out.

I mean if I'm trying an armbar (say from mount) and I've got his arm and I'm trying to break the grip, if i don't do that successfully, the person doesn't magically break out.
    Last edited by Admartian; 06-22-2014 at 22:38.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    My little gripe:
    Nothing worse than COMPLETELY losing a sub cause you $#@! up - doesn't happen that way EA in real life. At least not most of the time.

Subs should be, if you screw up, then you get brought down a 'stage' of the sub. And depending on what position and/or what specific submission you've attempted, then it will mean they break out.

Actually, that is how real life is. One little $#@! up can cost you the match. One little error, and the other guy can slip out of the submission.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Actually, that is how real life is. One little $#@! up can cost you the match. One little error, and the other guy can slip out of the submission.
    Oh come on! Let's be real now. This game ios good, just a gripe that's all. Let's not get too apologetic ove rit.

Basically, if I don't turn your thumb opposite my chest during an armbar attempt, at least not straight away, you don't magically lose that sub in that INSTANT. Sure, eventually you may if I don't make the necessary adjustment; but if I've advanced the sub to almost the point where I close it (e.g. locking/tightening my legs for the triangle etc), you don't ALWAYS or even more than half the time, COMPLETELY break out of the sub.

At worst, you have to start from a previous 'stage' (e.g. re-lock, readjust etc) and you can try again, opr choose to switch.

There's no option to switch, you just get $#@!ed over.

Again, Im not talking about the fight as a whole. YES sometimes " a little mistake" can "cost you". But 99% of the time, these little submission mistakes, mainly just slow you down, and more than often enough you just take longer to close it.

LIKE I SAID - DEPENDING ON THE SUB/POSITION YOU STARTED THE SUB, THEY SHOULDN'T COMPLETELY PENALIZE YOU FROM LOSING THE ENTIRE ATTEMPT ALTOGETHER. AT LEAST NOT WITH EVERY SUB!

C'mon man!
    Last edited by Admartian; 06-22-2014 at 22:50.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    You hold it down in the direction. My biggest complaint is the Left stick cue isn't visible enough. When I'm focusing on what direction the right stick needs to be I have a hard time noticing the Left stick alert.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Oh come on! Let's be real now. This game ios good, just a gripe that's all. Let's not get too apologetic ove rit.

Basically, if I don't turn your thumb opposite my chest during an armbar attempt, at least not straight away, you don't magically lose that sub in that INSTANT. Sure, eventually you may if I don't make the necessary adjustment; but if I've advanced the sub to almost the point where I close it (e.g. locking/tightening my legs for the triangle etc), you don't ALWAYS or even more than half the time, COMPLETELY break out of the sub.

At worst, you have to start from a previous 'stage' (e.g. re-lock, readjust etc) and you can try again, opr choose to switch.

There's no option to switch, you just get $#@!ed over.

Again, Im not talking about the fight as a whole. YES sometimes " a little mistake" can "cost you". But 99% of the time, these little submission mistakes, mainly just slow you down, and more than often enough you just take longer to close it.

LIKE I SAID - DEPENDING ON THE SUB/POSITION YOU STARTED THE SUB, THEY SHOULDN'T COMPLETELY PENALIZE YOU FROM LOSING THE ENTIRE ATTEMPT ALTOGETHER. AT LEAST NOT WITH EVERY SUB!

C'mon man!
    I practice Ju-Jitsu, so I was just saying that one slip up will cost you the submission in real life.

In the game, you may lose the submission hold, but you still have control. You can attempt another submission.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    I practice Ju-Jitsu, so I was just saying that one slip up will cost you the submission in real life.

In the game, you may lose the submission hold, but you still have control. You can attempt another submission.
    It does happen but Admart makes a valid point. You rarely ever see someone have the arm in attempting the arm bar and when trying to lock it in their arm just completely slips and they lose it completely. Usually they just lose the proper position and can't lock it in. But they can still work on the arm and try to expend some of their energy trying to fight it. I agree one you get so far in you shouldn't completely lose it. Unless it's more complex submissions. Should have focused more on stamina with the submissions. I would like longer battles in submissions over trying it over and over. That way when you get the opportunity you take full advantage of it. I mean you don't see people trying submissions every minute. When they find their spot they strike. I just wish it was more like this in the game. Submission opportunities are a dime a dozen from what I've seen.

21. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian

Mate so do I. Have done for 4 years+. One slip doesn't ALWAYS do it. I'm not saying it NEVER does - of course, that happens too! But the game translates it so that a slip/mistake/etc = GAME over.

ANd that's just not feasible.

Doesn't happen that way. You miss something there's always another opening/option, or the other person doesn't see you slip etc. And even when you slip, you move down one level. MORE OFTEN THAN NOT (read: doesn't mean never, but MOSTLY, you don't lose the positioning altogether).

I'LL REITERATE, DEPENDING ON THE SUB/POSITION, LOSING THE SUB DOESN'T ALWAYS HAPPEN!

I've been on both ends of this - sometimes the guy will attempt a triangle, and 9 times out of 10, I escape because I do something (or don't) and not because he hasn't clamped straight way or whatever (which the game makes you believe with the sticks etc), or quickly enough. And even if he does, depending on the circumstance, I can still escape.

And vice versa, I've been able to capture subs, long battles with subs, even though I haven't done all the things necessary for a sub perfectly within all sequences. In those cases, even when I haven't done something I haven't completely lost the attempt - I've just been reverted to start 'again' (read, not lose it all completely).

It's supposed to be a battle, not an if/or statement.

Look, let's not defend a broken/weird/unfair/whatever aspect of the game just because we like it.

I still love the game! I can just pick this bit apart.
    Last edited by Admartian; 06-23-2014 at 00:18.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Mate so do I. Have done for 4 years+. One slip doesn't ALWAYS do it. I'm not saying it NEVER does - of course, that happens too! But the game translates it so that a slip/mistake/etc = GAME over.
    What do you mean it is game over? You have like 4 chances to get out of the submission. And if you fail to submit your opponent, you still have ground control.

I do not understand why you think 1 slip up is the end of the match?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Just win the Middleweight belt against Silva. First defense...Weidman. Great!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    What do you mean it is game over? You have like 4 chances to get out of the submission. And if you fail to submit your opponent, you still have ground control.

I do not understand why you think 1 slip up is the end of the match?
    Mate - I'm talking about teh sub! Not the match!

The whole time.!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Even though this game isn't great, I'm finding it highly addictive. So far I would give it a 7.5. They built a great foundation. Definitely something to work with in the future.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Even though this game isn't great, I'm finding it highly addictive. So far I would give it a 7.5. They built a great foundation. Definitely something to work with in the future.
    Is it just me, or are the play now fighters not as numerous?

But yeah ,great game to build on for sure. The blocking system seems a bit janky. I wish they'd just stuck with standard block instead of having to just press it every time. Also I miss the sway system.

Also not being able to immediately pounce on a knocked down opponent is lolz.

Thread Information