Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Rumor: Ryse a financial disaster for Crytek

Crytek In Deep Trouble – Adoption of CryEngine Not Good, Ryse Development Catastrophic

JUNE 22, 2014 JOHN PAPADOPOULOS 24 COMMENTS
    I know that a lot of PC gamers hate Crytek for what it did to the Crysis series but let’s face it; this studio had a lot of potential. And when we say a lot, we mean A LOT. German videogames magazine “Gamestar” has reported that Crytek is in big trouble and that it may go bankrupt.
    According to Gamestar, the adoption of CRYENGINE is not going well and the word-of-mouth at GDC was negative. Strangely enough, CRYENGINE is currently one of the most optimized engines, so Crytek should really look into its subscription prices otherwise this amazing engine may never be used by other triple-A developers.
    Not only that, but Gamestar claims that the development of Ryse was catastrophic for the studio. Just mere months before its release, the game was severely behind and Crytek was able to complete it with additional manpower. And from what we’ve seen thus far, Ryse did not sell as good as Crytek hoped (especially for a console exclusive).
    Things are definitely not looking good for Crytek and while Avni Yerli claimed that a cash injection for the company is finally imminent (with a contract to be signed really soon), a lot of big publishers are waiting for a possible bankrupt in order to sign the talent and shop the IPs from Crytek.
    For what is worth, Wargaming is listed as a possible buyer of Crytek. If Wargaming does buys Crytek, we can kiss goodbye to all of the studio’s single-player games (as Wargaming is best known for its Free-To-Play games). In short, this may be the end of the Crytek we knew.
    But what has happened and the team is facing this major financial issues? According to Yerli, there were “dramatized rumors” from disgruntled ex-employers, something that obviously had a negative impact to Crytek’s public image. Additionally, Crytek has more than 800 employees (a number so huge that explains the company’s possible financial issues). Moreover, Gamestar reported that salaries were paid late and leading employees were sending applications to other studios at home and abroad. And if that wasn’t enough, Warface was only successful in Russia and Crytek’s G-face platform was a big flop.
    In short, Crytek is currently in deep trouble and we don’t know whether the studio will be able to recover. And yes, PC gamers can now say to Crytek “We told you so, you had to keep Crysis exclusive to the PC and keep pushing the graphical boundaries.”
    So yes, today you have the right to say that you told them so. And let me conclude this article with a small tribute to Inon Zur’s amazing score for the first Crysis game!

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/crytek...-catastrophic/

Not only was Ryse a commercial flop, but it appears a lot of developers and publishers are giving their engine a pass. It appears possible that Crytek is in distress. I figured the game was in trouble when they announced they were going to no longer make it a Kinect title. All that talk of having to reprogram the guts of the XBone before it released also seemed to show there was more trouble with the game than meets the eye.

Seeing as how EA rushed back to negotiate franchise rights to Titanfall weeks after that games release, it may not behoove third parties to take a lot of stock in the XBone right now. See Also: DR3 coming to PC and PvZ: GW going to PS4.
    Last edited by Lefein; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:43.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    This is an article about a middleware and development house screwing up their business model for their engine and creating a pile of crap game at a rush. No matter which platform Ryse would have been developed for this story would have been published today. Can't blame the platform for that. I'm sure you remember Lair and Haze, yet despite the great big stumble out of the blocks by the PS3 it went on to great success.

​aka Sparc

3. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I certainly won't miss Crytek.

5. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    This is an article about a middleware and development house screwing up their business model for their engine and creating a pile of crap game at a rush. No matter which platform Ryse would have been developed for this story would have been published today. Can't blame the platform for that. I'm sure you remember Lair and Haze, yet despite the great big stumble out of the blocks by the PS3 it went on to great success.
    Yeah, but Ryse was originally going to be a Kinect game on the 360, so it wouldn't have been such a big investment.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    If this negatively affects Star Citizen, I certainly will.

They also have had good effect on industry in terms of driving engine technology forward and sharing information.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

8. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Not only was Ryse a commercial flop
    was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    it may not behoove third parties to take a lot of stock in the XBone right now. See Also: DR3 coming to PC and PvZ: GW going to PS4.
    where to begin....

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Dont see how it was a financial dissaster. The entire game was bankrolled by Microsoft.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92

Battlelog: MrUltraah | PSN: kipkebab92 | Steam: ultraah | Twitch: WaxWeazle92 | Xfire: dahultrapro

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I certainly do hope CryTek aren't veiling our eyes with an inevitable purchase. Star Citizen is THE game I am most waiting for so far. Already the game's Arena Commander has me playing it on the odd occasions and it's looking so pretty. However PC Gamers have always said to CryTek that they should've stayed on PC. Crysis funnily enough has sold more on PC than Crysis 2 and 3 as a multi-platform title! As a fellow PC gamer - I told you so.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    http://kotaku.com/sources-crytek-not...l-d-1594967505

Doesn't sound good for Crytek. Ryse 2 supposedly cancelled.

A few months earlier, Crytek had cancelled an original game that was set to enter pre-production. Then, in February, word came down that Crytek would no longer be working with Microsoft to make Ryse 2, according to three employees. Crytek's work on the game was cancelled—because of a conflict over who would own rights to the franchise, those employees say—and Microsoft would no longer be sending them checks.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    +1.

As long as Naughty Dog is around, I don't care about Crytek either.

Maybe MS should drop more cash on them to help each other out.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

Extreme Poster
    is that a rumor? what is not a financial disaster for Crytek?
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I certainly do hope CryTek aren't veiling our eyes with an inevitable purchase. Star Citizen is THE game I am most waiting for so far. Already the game's Arena Commander has me playing it on the odd occasions and it's looking so pretty. However PC Gamers have always said to CryTek that they should've stayed on PC. Crysis funnily enough has sold more on PC than Crysis 2 and 3 as a multi-platform title! As a fellow PC gamer - I told you so.
    what are your sources? I'm pretty sure Crysis did not sell more...they admitted it and gave it as a reason to go multiplat.
    Last edited by Omar; 3 Weeks Ago at 21:54.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    You can certainly blame the console for bad sales.

XB1 has like 4 million consoles sold so far. Ryse has sold 900,000 copies?

Dead Rising 3 = 1 million+
    CoD Ghosts = 1.8 million
    Titanfall = 1.87 million
    Watch Dogs = 850,000

Watch Dogs has only been out for like a month, and is right behind Ryse that has been out since launch. Not to mention that Ryse is an exclusive title...
    Last edited by Lethal; 3 Weeks Ago at 22:35.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    what are your sources? I'm pretty sure Crysis did not sell more...they admitted it and gave it as a reason to go multiplat.
    This works both ways. What are your sources

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Crysis sold 4 million copies lifetime to date back up to and including 2011 (this is a very well known fact), in 2012 Crysis 2 was reportedly sold 3 million lifetime to date, Crysis 3 had a sharp drop off in sales and has been reported as such, the game hasn't been out long either!

They thought 2m (at the time) wasn't enough on PC but publishers tend to forget that PC games have a very very long shelf live (often longer than 15 years), console games have a shelf live of about 6 months then they stop manufacturing them. They went multi-platform and got pathetic sales. PC Gamers immediately called foul and felt the difference in not only the controls but the graphics too (they did sort out the latter though later on). Still it didn't sell more than they wanted on all systems! Crysis 3 is already looking very bleak too.

The CryTek Engine is their only saving grace at the moment and they know it. They need to cut their staff dramatically too.

Master Sage
    Can't wait for the scraps to be picked apart.
    Sony or someone needs to get the Timesplitters IP off them!

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Crysis sold 4 million copies lifetime to date back up to and including 2011 (this is a very well known fact), in 2012 Crysis 2 was reportedly sold 3 million lifetime to date, Crysis 3 had a sharp drop off in sales and has been reported as such, the game hasn't been out long either!

They thought 2m (at the time) wasn't enough on PC but publishers tend to forget that PC games have a very very long shelf live (often longer than 15 years), console games have a shelf live of about 6 months then they stop manufacturing them. They went multi-platform and got pathetic sales. PC Gamers immediately called foul and felt the difference in not only the controls but the graphics too (they did sort out the latter though later on). Still it didn't sell more than they wanted on all systems! Crysis 3 is already looking very bleak too.

The CryTek Engine is their only saving grace at the moment and they know it. They need to cut their staff dramatically too.
    I only bought crysis to say "my rig runs Crysis @ xxFPS" Still have not beaten it after all these years, I always get so far then get bored.

Forum Sage

I loved the first one. I didn't see the Aliens coming at all

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I think most people bought that game back then because it was the only game that looked stunning (in most cases) and really tested your system. It took many a year before the game ran remotely well on a top end rig. I remember my top end card the Nvidia 495GTX had problems running it, and that card was mental fast at the time.

Forum Sage

I think even until today the original Crysis still looks amazing.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Extreme Poster

alright so i did a bit of research and see that you're correct. however, they had to heavily reduce the price ($10) after they broke even in revenues vs cost. so it wasn't exactly bringing them millions of dollars.

Friendship is Carrots
    I hope Crytek doesn't go under for the sake of the CryEngine... Although it has been losing its edge in recent years.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Crysis was THE benchmark for PC's back in the day. That is the only reason why it sold well. I also never finished the game.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    alright so i did a bit of research and see that you're correct. however, they had to heavily reduce the price ($10) after they broke even in revenues vs cost. so it wasn't exactly bringing them millions of dollars.
    That has nothing to do with sales figures though. The fact of the matter is CryTek constantly blamed the PC for lost sales due to rampant piracy despite them (at the time) selling around 2m. We called foul and they didn't listen, went multi-platform for Crysis 2 and said that they won't have piracy problems and will generate more money as their games will be on more systems. How ironic that not only have they made less money - per game - than the original Crysis, but Crysis was and still is their best selling game and it was a PC exclusive. The console port of Crysis at the end of 2011 barely sold at all. In fact what is even more ironic than that is that the PC version still sold more than the console versions of their games.

The company is only keeping afloat by licensing their game engine and they know it, even EA knows it.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Does anyone have accurate sales figures for Ryse? Microsoft themselves reported in January that it had sold 431,000 units. I haven't been able to find more recent, but I doubt it is much higher, as most games have 2 weeks to sell the majority of the units they'll ever sell (short of a best of rerelease). That's pretty bad for a third party triple A exclusive, and puts it behind Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 at the same point in time. I don't know how much Microsoft spent, but I'm guessing Crytek didn't come close to breaking even, especially if the rumors of last minute cost over runs are true.

I'll grant that Crytek's games look pretty, but I've yet to really enjoy playing one of them. I've played the second and third Crysis games and wasn't terribly impressed. Ryse was an abortion from the moment it was initially announced as a triple A kinect game.

Thread Information