Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

New Forum Wishlist

So as per request, this is the place to field suggestions on what you guys would like to see in the new forums.

So at the moment Chris and Varsh are leaning towards Invision Power for the new forum software. While this isn't fixed, it is the front runner. You can learn more about the forum here.

You can check out the possible modifications here.

Popular ideas that make sense and gel with the general direction we'd like to head in with the new forums will be considered by the tech team for implementation. Have at it!

Ultimate Veteran
    I would like to see some PlayStation-centric customization in the About Me section of our profile page. Examples include "Currently owned PlayStation platforms", "Favorite PlayStation platform" and "Favorite PlayStation series".

Master Sage
    I want to see tags on posts, so if I want to see everything that has been posted for Uncharted 4 for example, I can search or click on it.

EDIT: May also be good to be able to sort through if it is official news, rumours, reviews or banter

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 06-22-2014 at 22:08.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Maybe not that much of features, but more of looks;
    It would be nice to have 2 or more choices of how the forums look.. Skins, I mean.
    e.g. I'm a big fan of darker skins, as they feel relaxing to the eyes, especially in the evening

EDIT:
    I don't know what's being done for the people that support the forums here right now by paying for them (throughout donations) but maybe it's an idea to put VIP upon the newer forums, giving the people who donated VIP status or such and giving them a little extra? Also, a clear, easy donation-page which is nicely visible, with the option to pay via paypal perhaps. That way you might get more donations as I didn't know at first you could even donate for this forum
    Last edited by WaxWeazle; 06-22-2014 at 22:19.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Invisionboard huh? Great software. I was using its predecessor Ikonboard when they rebranded and got started. I only moved to vb because IB Got expensive.

​aka Sparc

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    one that works will be ok with me

will rep/post count etc get lost tho?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Forum Sage
    Why not Vanilla forums? I remember you guys saying that you were looking at it.

You can do your own implementation or consider their cloud offering which has tons of nice features.

Vanilla Forums
    http://vanillaforums.com/

Just curious.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Why not Vanilla forums? I remember you guys saying that you were looking at it.

You can do your own implementation or consider their cloud offering which has tons of nice features.

Vanilla Forums
    http://vanillaforums.com/

Just curious.
    I'd love to put the entire site in the cloud. But that is not an option. Can't really go into why. Sorry.

I did try Vanilla. Migrated our forum from backup into it. Without their cloud features, it really doesn't measure up to IPB. Depends heavily on plugins for some basic features and no support.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I'd love to put the entire site in the cloud. But that is not an option. Can't really go into why. Sorry.

I did try Vanilla. Migrated our forum from backup into it. Without their cloud features, it really doesn't measure up to IPB. Depends heavily on plugins for some basic features and no support.
    What features does IPB offer that Vanilla is missing without using cloud?

I know achievements is one that Vanilla cloud has over their free option (I heard that it was something they planned on bringing over, not sure if it has happened yet, guessing not?)

Either way it's fine. Just want to know.
    Last edited by sainraja; 06-23-2014 at 03:50.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    What features does IPB offer that Vanilla is missing without using cloud?

I know achievements is one that Vanilla cloud has over their free option (I heard that it was something they planned on bringing over, not sure if it has happened yet, guessing not?)

Either way it's fine. Just want to know.
    It was a bunch of little things. Like quoting your post here......that required a plugin with Vanilla. I was installing far too many unofficial plugins for the smallest features.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Forum Sage
    Ah, okay. Gotcha.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quotes within quotes!!!

And skins.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I know it's unlikely, but all those years ago I was drawn to this forum because of the shop. It's an awesome idea that would be great if it was rebuilt with new icons and all that jazz

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    I know it's unlikely, but all those years ago I was drawn to this forum because of the shop. It's an awesome idea that would be great if it was rebuilt with new icons and all that jazz
    Mr Fijian was working on a new shop suite for this ole rickety forum software but the shop was identified as a source of performance issues so we held off. I told Fijian that I would like to have them used one day so if there is a plugin for shop items, which I'm sure there will be, we'll try and make it happen.

There is something supercool that Justin brought to our attention which I'm going to try and push as a subscriber only thing...it's pretty cool...but this is just my own wish and it hasn't yet been nutted out by tech and CM yet. I think the new site will afford us the ability to create something really enticing though for those who are cool enough to support the site.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    quotes within quotes!!!
    nooooooooooooo!!!!!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    Quotes within quotes!!!

And skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    nooooooooooooo!!!!!
    Oh yes! Bwahaha!

17. Likes darky89 likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    I want to see tags on posts, so if I want to see everything that has been posted for Uncharted 4 for example, I can search or click on it.

EDIT: May also be good to be able to sort through if it is official news, rumours, reviews or banter
    This works out of the box with Invision. What Invision has is the ability for users to add multiple TAGs to their topic so that other users can click on the TAG and all other topics with the same TAG is shown. Another feature is that you can have a PREFIX TAG which means that it works the same as a tag however it shows up next to the title of the topic on the forum layout rather than underneath. For instance if you wanted to search for Uncharted 4 you would have this:
    • PREFIX - Uncharted 4
    • TAGs - Uncharted, Naughty Dog, Adventure, Treasure, Nathan Drake, etc

Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    Maybe not that much of features, but more of looks;
    It would be nice to have 2 or more choices of how the forums look.. Skins, I mean.
    e.g. I'm a big fan of darker skins, as they feel relaxing to the eyes, especially in the evening

EDIT:
    I don't know what's being done for the people that support the forums here right now by paying for them (throughout donations) but maybe it's an idea to put VIP upon the newer forums, giving the people who donated VIP status or such and giving them a little extra? Also, a clear, easy donation-page which is nicely visible, with the option to pay via paypal perhaps. That way you might get more donations as I didn't know at first you could even donate for this forum
    We're looking at skins and I also much prefer dark skins, especially for the night time. As for donations, I also don't know how the system works on the site so I guess this one is for Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by TidalPhoenix View Post
    Invisionboard huh? Great software. I was using its predecessor Ikonboard when they rebranded and got started. I only moved to vb because IB Got expensive.
    I was also an early adopter of Ikonboard which was brilliant. Invision used to be free when Matt Mecham was in charge but in the end got bought out and it because rather pricey which is why I moved over to vBulletin too. vB in version 2 and 3 was sublime and amazing but since vB4 it has been utter crap, heavy on the server, slow, and clearly moving in a different direction. I myself have only just moved back to IPB and all I can say is... WOW! Best forum software by miles.

Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    will rep/post count etc get lost tho?
    Chris will be doing the migration so only he will know. It does have its own reputation system so it might be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    A shop system adds many more SQL queries per page, this feature slows down not only the server but the rendering time per page too. It's a nice thing to have but the resources used for the overall cost of bandwidth is not worth it. This is my opinion of course.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I was also an early adopter of Ikonboard which was brilliant. Invision used to be free when Matt Mecham was in charge but in the end got bought out and it because rather pricey which is why I moved over to vBulletin too. vB in version 2 and 3 was sublime and amazing but since vB4 it has been utter crap, heavy on the server, slow, and clearly moving in a different direction. I myself have only just moved back to IPB and all I can say is... WOW! Best forum software by miles.
    I tried it after reading this thread and had a play with the adminCP and as a normal user of the forums. Very nice and slick. Not surprised to be honest as it was always a well-written piece of software. Not keen on their 6-month license renewal policy though.

Chris will be doing the migration so only he will know. It does have its own reputation system so it might be possible.
    Looks like their migration tool supports moving vB 4.x reputation, post count, etc over so you should be good. Might want to read up on the bans though as it appears it can't migrate IP and email bans.

​aka Sparc

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    A shop system adds many more SQL queries per page, this feature slows down not only the server but the rendering time per page too. It's a nice thing to have but the resources used for the overall cost of bandwidth is not worth it. This is my opinion of course.
    Yeah this is the thing that puts me off too. As I mentioned before, the site takes a hit from it. According to alexa.com, PSU is slower than 75% of other websites lol. Having little icons in the postbit is nice but not when the pages load slower.

I tried it after reading this thread and had a play with the adminCP and as a normal user of the forums. Very nice and slick. Not surprised to be honest as it was always a well-written piece of software. Not keen on their 6-month license renewal policy though.

Looks like their migration tool supports moving vB 4.x reputation, post count, etc over so you should be good. Might want to read up on the bans though as it appears it can't migrate IP and email bans.
    the renewal is for support, software updates, etc. not required. the software will continue to function without renewing. we will probably pay the renewal price though. only $25

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    the renewal is for support, software updates, etc. not required. the software will continue to function without renewing. we will probably pay the renewal price though. only $25
    I couldn't work out if not renewing support meant you no longer received security updates, or just no further feature updates. But if you're going to pay it then it doesn't matter either way.

​aka Sparc

I couldn't work out if not renewing support meant you no longer received security updates, or just no further feature updates. But if you're going to pay it then it doesn't matter either way.
    Yeah, we probably will for the first year at least. After that, we can renew support at any time or keep on renewing.

Extreme Poster
    yes, $#@!, finally you guys realized that we are also important to the website lol.

this was long overdue. like i've been waiting for years for a complete overhaul. but i don't want to pay a penny for it.

i'm paying with my presence. my presence should cover more than enough.

25. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    yes, $#@!, finally you guys realized that we are also important to the website lol.

this was long overdue. like i've been waiting for years for a complete overhaul. but i don't want to pay a penny for it.

i'm paying with my presence. my presence should cover more than enough.
    Who is 'you guys'? You mean Chris and Varsh and the other forum staff, aka members of the community, aka the 'we' that is also important? We are all well aware of how important the community is to the site because we came from the community and we are the community. Sorry lol just made it sound like we are some corporate types who never gave a damn about the forums and have never dreamed of a complete overhaul...PSU as a site and those who work as part of the content team have the forum community to thank for the shiney new front page we have and the forum overhaul we're getting.

Extreme Poster
    that's the problem Ghost, there are mixed signals all over this forum. a while ago i made a suggestion to make the forums better to keep the traffic flow better and someone mentioned that forums just don't make enough money to be worth investing in. that's the response i got and i'm pretty sure you were there and several other staff members.

i know that came off a bit harsh but that's what i was told.

Thread Information