Latest PSU headlines:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    brandon, what was your previous user name? rebon? (that might be spelled incorrectly)

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    PBM or PeanutButterMunky
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Extreme Poster
    oh PBM. i thought i saw your name as that a while ago so did not think it would be you. and i didn't know your name. so the mystery is now resolved. i'm also thinking about changing my username to my first name.

Administrator
    When I was an Admin and writer for PlayStation Insider, I went by my first name. But I've never done that here. Just felt like the thing to do, I guess.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Extreme Poster
    honestly i think all staff members should go by their first names. imo. just makes things more personal.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I'm always up for doing that.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Awww, I really like my screen name but I could also use my real name too if it becomes a thing. It has to be a voluntary thing though, some people want to remain anonymous on the net and we can't force them not to be imho.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yeah I'm for just my screen name.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    That'll come with the new forum software.
    Good, thanks.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Yeah I'm for just my screen name.
    No worries, Gunther

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Administrator
    His name is Peter File.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    honestly i think all staff members should go by their first names. imo. just makes things more personal.
    I'll show you personal!

***ziiiiiip****

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Extreme Poster
    i'm not a $#@! ok, i don't do it for the money.

Master Sage
    One thing I don't like about forums is being the last comment on the bottom of the page. I'm sure many people skip over it and generally jump to the end to add their own 5 cents. It's not a big thing but also having to click between pages just feels so outdated.

What if we took away the pages from forums. We had one long vertical drop of comments. (like EU Blog/Facebook etc)

You scroll down and more comments appear until you reach the bottom?
    What does everyone else think?

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    One thing I don't like about forums is being the last comment on the bottom of the page. I'm sure many people skip over it and generally jump to the end to add their own 5 cents. It's not a big thing but also having to click between pages just feels so outdated.

What if we took away the pages from forums. We had one long vertical drop of comments. (like EU Blog/Facebook etc)

I think pages are necessary. We have some pretty big threads. Most blogs and Facebook don't have a signature option so there's less stress on loading.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 1 Week Ago at 05:18.

Extreme Poster
    IIRC you should be able to have the last comment come up first. you change that in the control panel.

go to "general settings" then "thread display mode" change it to "newest posts first".

there are other options in there as well.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92

That would be a pain in the ass I think to be honest... I can see the use for such a thing when it's on a newspost on the actual site, but forums without pages is like a book without paper D:

Here's something I saw on another forum (which may be a useful addition for the future forum?);
    For the people who're also actively reading around on Macrumors, you might now this...

The news on the actual site gets posted to the forums as well (by a bot) and people can reply either on the post or on the headpage, both will appear on each page (so both on either forumpage or site page).

I think that may be a nice addition. It would make the forums a little more alive and people who don't use the actual site that much could also read the news and reply to it if wanted.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat

we have threads with over 30k responses. You can't seriously think this is a good idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    Here's something I saw on another forum (which may be a useful addition for the future forum?);
    For the people who're also actively reading around on Macrumors, you might now this...

The news on the actual site gets posted to the forums as well (by a bot) and people can reply either on the post or on the headpage, both will appear on each page (so both on either forumpage or site page).

I think that may be a nice addition. It would make the forums a little more alive and people who don't use the actual site that much could also read the news and reply to it if wanted.
    Tut has been asking for this since about 2008. ha

I'd just like some good members
    Last edited by squirrelbo1; 3 Days Ago at 23:27.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Master Sage
    Ok, just throwing out ideas, must be a better way to run it.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Ok, just throwing out ideas, must be a better way to run it.
    ha, I know mate, wasn't meant to sound so harsh. was meant to be the sort of jokey way, like when somebody asks a silly question.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Administrator
    Bit, the only way I could see that working is if the page doesn't just entirely load all at once ... maybe if the page loads as you scroll or something. Like squirrel said, some threads have 30k pages ... and that would probably freeze out some people's computers hardcore. It seems like a good idea in theory, but in practice it might prove to be more of a pain in the butt than it's worth.

And not everyone has the same settings as you. Your comment may not be on someone else's last page if their page settings are set to 10 posts per page (or 20 or 50 etc).

Master Sage
    No worries, looking forward to seeing what you guys do with the forums.
    Main things I want to see are -

ease of use (tags system of some sort for easier track-ability of specific game posts and possibly even ability to remove sub sections as they are quite inconsistent with what is available)

easier posting (formatting can be a pain when cutting and pasting, buttons for video/images are slow to click on etc etc)

something fresh (something that stands out from other sites and is fun to use)

Also another option for wide screen display would be great, currently I can view forums in either full screen mode or around half the screen with large black sides. Would be great if a 3rd option existed for wide screen users where it took up about 3/4's of the screen and small black sides.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I was thinking about ways to help increase the interaction within the community once the new forum is live and i thought maybe we could have forum wide competitions every week that all revolve around gaming or just things in general. The topics could range from knowledge of certain franchises, anecdotes of peoples experiences online, reviews on certain titles, write our own plots for game stories, etc. Then say a winner is picked and we have a runner up as well, prizes wont have to be anything crazy, maybe just some points that can go towards user name/title changes.

Just a rough thought but it could help engage everyone and give an added incentive to be more active

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I was thinking about ways to help increase the interaction within the community once the new forum is live and i thought maybe we could have forum wide competitions every week that all revolve around gaming or just things in general. The topics could range from knowledge of certain franchises, anecdotes of peoples experiences online, reviews on certain titles, write our own plots for game stories, etc. Then say a winner is picked and we have a runner up as well, prizes wont have to be anything crazy, maybe just some points that can go towards user name/title changes.

Just a rough thought but it could help engage everyone and give an added incentive to be more active
    We actually discussed doing some things to help drive up activity. This is a good idea. Thanks. Will definitely keep it in mind.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

25. Likes Sylar likes this post

Thread Information