Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Why do you love PlayStation?

Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of PlayStation since the original console. I thought it might be an interesting question to ask since we're all fans, obviously. Why else would you sign up to PSU?

If I had to give a single reason, it would be the diversity. It's easy to take sides -- whether a game is mature or kid-friendly, AAA or indie but you don't really need to. I mean, I've said before that I don't care for Quantic Dream's games since they're more like movies but it doesn't mean someone else didn't find something special in them. The Last of Us is critically-acclaimed but it was one of those games I decided, one day, to pick up again and finish rather than forget. When I did complete my playthrough, I was both happy and sad. Mostly happy but wow, right? Great game.

I started playing games with the SNES and I'm still fond of some Nintendo games like Metroid Fusion and Super Mario World. I will always like Sega for creating Skies of Arcadia Legends too, but... PlayStation isn't just about the past. You have a developer like Naughty Dog that seems to adapt with games that grow with the player. It's a cool feeling, I think. Even if you're not a Naughty Dog fan, there's much to choose from.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:02. Reason: Typo. :P

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I had a Commodore Amiga for my very first gaming experience, loved playing James Pond: Robocod, Coolspot, Lotus Turbo Challenge and many other great games but as soon as I played on my cousins PS1 I was hooked! The very first game I played was F1 97 and you couldn't get me off it, ever since then I have always been a Playstation and racing game fan and even though I have had Xbox's but they just don't feel as good as Sony's system, and that is why I shall always love Playstation!

PS: I shall always remember the first time I ever heard Murray Walker: "He's off the tarmac and into the kitty litter"
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Formally known as:

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Well, for me it's mainly because of the games. I have always thought PS had the best exclusives and the games in general feels more mature than for example Nintendo. I've never been a big fan of Nintendo because they mainly focus on cute colorful child/family friendly games, which (in general) isn't my cup of tea. I think I started out with the C64 and Sega Mastersystem (8-bit) as my first gaming experience. And I have always really liked the PS (DS) controller.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    For the PS3 it was, for me, purely an exclusives platform. I loved (exclusives) and hated (multi-plat quality) the PS3 in equal measure, although what it ended up being after years of improvements is something that had it been released at the start of the gen would have stomped all over the 360 from day 1.

The PS4 however is in a different ball game altogether. It's the best console out there in the market today, bar none. It's beautifully engineered, has the best controller (and that's coming from an ardent fan of the 360 controller), is designed and built for gamers and just an all round awesome bit of kit. And while it needs some improvements (what doesn't) I don't regret for a single minute that I bought it on Day 1.

​aka Sparc

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Back in the day it was the better console than anything Sega or Nintendo offered...now I stick with them because it is what I'm used to and I also prefer their first party exclusives. I'll take Uncharted and inFamous anyday over Halo or Gears of War.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Libra-75 View Post
    Well, for me it's mainly because of the games. I have always thought PS had the best exclusives and the games in general feels more mature than for example Nintendo. I've never been a big fan of Nintendo because they mainly focus on cute colorful child/family friendly games, which (in general) isn't my cup of tea. I think I started out with the C64 and Sega Mastersystem (8-bit) as my first gaming experience. And I have always really liked the PS (DS) controller.
    Same about the games. I could never get into a single Xbox exclusive and any game that I did enjoy that was on the system was also on PC. And on the Nintendo side of things, their system with the most games I enjoy are the NES/SNES, with maybe a handful on the N64. Anything new they've done just hasn't drawn me in.

So for me, it's a no brainer to have Sony as my favorite console maker, because they have the console with the best exclusives.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    All of the revolutionary games happened on PS1, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid etc and it established itself back then as the forerunner of games. It just always seemed like the all round games machine with awesome titles and innovation.

I also like the execs of Sony, Tretton, House, Hirai, they are all charismatic and didn't give of the slimey haired, insincere aura that I got from MS execs. As time went on and the PS3 grew I saw an increased focus on games by Sony who continued to put out more than the competition despite not always being best sellers. Sony isn't afraid to take chances and release titles that are about the experience and not formulaic cash cows...though of course they had a fair few of those. Sony seems to care about the gamer and seems to be much more intouch this gen and it shows with the storm that has been PS4. Now the ecosystem is growing and has yet to be matched by anyone else. It's a part of my past and has been a constant up until now and will remain so in the future.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    My journey into PlayStation is a bit odd. I was going for my Masters' degree around 2005 and needed access to a Unix computer most of the time. Decided to ditch Windows PC and go with Mac since I really couldn't stand linux. So all my PC games were useless all of the sudden. Fine. Decided I would switch to consoles for my gaming. First one was the PSP. Loved that thing. Introduced me to a whole new world that I really wasn't familiar with. I played GoW: Chains of Olympus without knowing anything about the series or Kratos. I quickly grew to love PlayStation games. When PS3 was announced, I decided I was going all in. So missed almost all of the PS1 and PS2 games because I was so focused on PC gaming. All the better now though since PSN gives me the ability to go back and check out all of those classics.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Variety of games and classics. They always invest in them and take more risks than their competition.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Superior Member
    I go with the company that is game-focused and less full of b.s. E3 2013 made that decision very easy for me.

Last generation I thought the 360 did a better job for me overall as a gaming platform.
    Mouth Pounding since 95'

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I'd have to say it's a combination of HW when I bought into the PS3 and the Exclusive Content that's really kept me on the PS family.

I've been gaming since Pong in the early 70's (Damn that guys old ) and had consoles all the way up to around 1990, when I bought my first PC (I was in college.) I didn't have much time for gaming but I did some on the PC's that I had through college. By the time I got my Masters and entered the work force ('96) the graphics cards were coming out and resolution of monitors was far superior to TVs. I stayed a PC gamer during this era. Yes it was more expensive but I could easily afford it. A few years later and I'm married with a son, gaming stops for several years. 2005 is here, what I wanted was an HDTV and a DVR, OK got that. It's great. Turned an old rig into an HTPC put it in my system to use my PC w/ my HDTV, rip and watch DVDs, ... gaming. It's ok, but mouse and keyboard from a couch is a PIA, I want a controller. Looked around and the XBOX is just about to launched the first HD capable game console, but read up on the PS3 spec's. 'Damn that things a beast' from an processing perspective (which happens to be my area of expertise.) That said I didn't realize how long it would take the SW Devs to wrap their heads around how to squeeze the power out of it. So I waited for it to launch, it came around and I hesitated on the $699 because of a limited amount of games, Ok, I'll wait a year. So I jumped in a year later. Never regretted it.

Yeah, I know that consoles will never reach the potential of high end PCs, but it's not worth the constant investment to keep them upgraded to gaming rig status. And I call BS on every JA that says, but hey a mid level PC outperforms it, because it's BS, a mid level PC doesn't outperform it except in terms of Spec's and the fact is it would still cost more to build it up, and PC games aren't optimized near to the level of games on a console. Sure, by the end of the life of a console it's been totally surpassed by PCs, but one needs to take a look at one spends for one system over it's life vs the other IMHO.

Even though both the PS4 and X1 didn't get as big of jump in raw processing power over the preceding generation, as that generation got. What they got was something that the SW Devs could squeeze more power out of with less effort. Given them more time to focus on improving other areas. This is what got me the most excited about the PS4. I was actually excited for both boxes, and I thought my son, who had been asking for an X1 was going that route, but he changed his mind because of youtube videos against X1 post-E3 (it was the youtube videos that had him excited in the first place pre-E3) but after that he wanted me to build him a gaming rig, grrr.... more money.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I have been a fan of PlayStation back when it was supposed to be a SNES/SNES CD combo system. Back in the day I was nearly foaming at the mouth waiting for Nintendo to come out with their CD addon...

Once I realized their CD drive was not going to happen I tried to fill the void with other CD consoles like the Sega Saturn and 3DO, but then I heard that Sony was going on their own to make the Playstation that we know and love. I still remember the day I purchased it, I was helping my brother move that day and I took a break from helping him and ran to Incredible Universe (anyone remember that place?) so I could purchase the PS1 on launch day! That was the longest day ever since I didn't get to play the console until I was done helping him...as soon as I got home me and a friend popped in Battle Arena Toshinden and the rest was history! I was amazing at all the great games that system had so when the PS2 was announced I was all over it as you could imagine! The PS2 again just had an amazing assortment of great games and it doubled down as a DVD player which was a huge bonus back then. So with those two systems I was super hyped for the PS3 when it came out, but at first was a bit disappointed due to the price and the rough start it had, still a great system, but it took a little while for them to get some traction. I was glad that Ken Kutaragi stepped down before work had begun on the PS4, I think it was his 'vision' that made the console so f'ing expensive (and I didn't care much for Sony's arrogance at the beginning either), but after hearing that Mark Cerny was going to be the Lead System Architect on the PS4 I got very excited and ever since the Feb 20th reveal I am been very happy with where Sony is headed! Right now they have an excellent team and if they keep up what they are currently doing and I will be a PlayStation fan for many years to come!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Master Sage
    Diversity in genres and willingness to take risks in unusual games.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Some of my most memorable gaming experiences was on Playstation. PS1, 2, and 3 all had games that I couldn't get enough of. My gaming began on Sega Master System and NES. Moved on to Genesis and SNES. I had lots of memories from those consoles as well, but it all changed with the PS1. So much diversity and new genres being created or taken to another level. Despite having owned or played other consoles with friends like Saturn, N64( owned one for a month), Dreamcast(owned for 6months), orig XBox, Gamecube, and 360, none had the types of games that kept me hooked. They all had their place but they weren't for me. Playstation is were I play and if they continue bringing the games, that's where I'll stay.
    Last edited by Captncoke49; 4 Weeks Ago at 22:43.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Used to but gone off them now, every sony console I owned after the PS1 died.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    this one is easy, the games, particularly the exclusives and 2nd party offers, which are bar none the best the industry has to offer compared to the competition. i mean The Last of Us? Nuff said

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    The games, the superior quality of hardware and generally that Sony always have seemed more eager to please their customers.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    FF7.

I bought a friend's PS1 when I heard that FF7 was coming out. Just after the demo disc was available. I hadn't really been part of a console generation since the Intellivision, never owned a Nintendo home console (to this day a DS lite is the only Nintendo platform I've ever owned), I never owned a Sega platform. So FF7 is why I have playstation platforms. And I've owned everyone since.

19. Likes TAZ427 likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name style
    When it came to consoles it was the only option most of the time.
    Xbox never offered me anything of value imo and the last Nintendo console i liked was N64. Xbox finally has a good controller (Xbone) and Wii U has some interesting games coming out in the next year and a half so things may change.

Dedicated Member
    don't 'love' it, wouldn't go so far as to having an emotional attachment with a piece of plastic or a company. i just happen to like some of the franchises playstation has had to offer over the years, and i think sony might've done a better job than competitors when it comes to game diversity and having something for all age groups. i currently own ps1 and ps3, also had a ps2 which i sold. i've yet to buy a ps4 and it won't probably be until next year. i'm not into handhelds so never really bothered about psp or vita. my first experience with playstation was a little different, i hadn't gone to the market with the intention of buying the console but made an impulse buy when i saw a game running at a shop in 1998.

the opening movie of rogue trip was running and it is probably the one and only time when i said wow seeing a playstation game run. my experience prior to this had only been with sega megadrive/genesis 16 bit gaming and this was my first time seeing a 32 bit game live in front of me. i became curious to play it myself and asked the store for a demo. i was given the controller to try it out and in fifteen minutes i was convinced that i wanted this. i bought the grey playstation, one memory card, one dualshock and rogue trip. this was in 1998, i was in high school X standard and bought it off my parents' money.

Ultimate Veteran
    Sony has the best frist party gmes

23. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Items Scarlett Johansson
    Mainly the games and the controller, I have owned all of the Playstations thus far and have been very happy with them. I tried to get used to the Xbox controller, but I just can't get the hang of it. I have always heard that the Xbox controller is better for first person shooters, but I don't see it.
    FLASHIN ON YOU

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Wouldnt say i LOVE PS, i actually hated them for a very long time when the ps3 first dropped and loved my 360 way more than my ps3. and im not overly enamoured with them now. They made several mistakes last gen and whilst not so much this gen, im still pissed off at the lack quality games.

Point im trying to make is there isnt a defining attribute that would make me love them....at a push i suppose they have some AAA 1st party games that cant be matched

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    I loved PS since it released playing the original Spyro and Crash games. Loved old Tekken as well. I like their hardware and I prefer Sony controller, first party games variety and their execs over Microsoft. I still prefer the R1 button for shooting over the Xbox's triggers.
    Playing - Tales of Vesperia (secret missions),Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Awaiting - Tales of Xillia 2, Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Tales of Zestiria, KH Birth By Sleep HD, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

Super Elite
    It's go to be for me when Playstation introduced cinematics to gaming. I feel secure knowing that Sony has a background of the entertainment industry e.g. music, films that they can bring to the table.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Thread Information