View Poll Results: Is a College Degree worth the money and debt?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

3 20.00%
  • No!

3 20.00%
  • Maybe, it depends on the major or career or other factors.

9 60.00%
  • Only community college and 2 year programs are worth it and priced reasonably.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Is a College Degree worth the Price and Debt?

Do you think a college degree is worth the price and debt? If there are any college grads on here, would you do it again or just go to work with your high school diploma?

I say yes. Even if you get into 100,000 worth of debt by the time you finish grad school, you just pay over minimum payments and you can get out of that debt in about 10 years. Once you pay off your student loans, you're free and you'll be making more than high school graduates. Of course, the part about paying off 100,000 in 10 years is based on your major. You should NEVER get into 100,000 worth of debt for an education career.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't think so. TAFE courses are far cheaper and still get you a paper at the end. Great for meeting people though.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Only time I want 100k of debt is when I buy a house.

I did an apprenticeship for 5 years, went to college and got paid to do so.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    No. Not worth it at all. Then again, I only have an associates.

But no...

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Depends entirely on the career you want to pursue, but just make sure you can get a job that is going to give you the ability to pay off that 100k. Accumulating all that debt for a job that tops out at $50k a year doesn't make a bit of sense.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Friendship is Carrots
    It's guaranteed debt for a potential career that may or may not pay it off in any reasonable amount of time. Certain majors are safer than others of course. There's always going to be a need for doctors, nurses, program developers, and engineers.

The reality though is that America is heading into an age of unemployment due to automation. Machines are going to be replacing many jobs. Whatever jobs remain secure are being displaced overseas or don't pay enough to make the college degree needed worth it. There's an unfortunate difference between what the employer demands and what schooling offers.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Overseer
    my debt was 15k and that was even painful to pay. i'm debt free right now and i intend to stay that way (except when i get a house).

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Have a degree and I didn't get $#@! from it. All about the experience. Only specialized degrees are good. I.E Engineering, medical, programming etc.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

9. Likes MonkeyClaw, Omar likes this post
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    It's guaranteed debt for a potential career that may or may not pay it off in any reasonable amount of time. Certain majors are safer than others of course. There's always going to be a need for doctors, nurses, program developers, and engineers.

The reality though is that America is heading into an age of unemployment due to automation. Machines are going to be replacing many jobs. Whatever jobs remain secure are being displaced overseas or don't pay enough to make the college degree needed worth it. There's an unfortunate difference between what the employer demands and what schooling offers.
    Yeah, but they have been saying that for three decades. Requires jobs to make those machines too. Probably take more than they create, but many of those machines are replacing monotonous, repetitive jobs that require very little skill. Which highlights the fact that skills are more important than degrees. A degree is no guarantee that anyone is anything but a novice in a given field. I work with a large number of IT professionals and I know many don't have any degree whatsoever, but they are all highly skilled. As a matter of fact, I work next to a guy that only has a high school degree. I have a Master's in computer science. We make the same amount of money and he is one hell of a programmer.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

11. Likes welshboymick likes this post
    Forum Elder
    I'm gonna go all Jon Connor on these machines. I lost a ups job to a machine, that's what brown did for me.

Have u seen the amazon picker robots? Efficient as hell, a money maker for them and people lose jobs as a result.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I'm gonna go all Jon Connor on these machines. I lost a ups job to a machine, that's what brown did for me.

Have u seen the amazon picker robots? Efficient as hell, a money maker for them and people lose jobs as a result.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    ouch.....sorry dude.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah, but they have been saying that for three decades. Requires jobs to make those machines too. Probably take more than they create, but many of those machines are replacing monotonous, repetitive jobs that require very little skill.
    It's an inevitably, and only now are we reaching the point where it's becoming possible. A few machines and a maintenance worker or two can do the job or 10-30 low-level workers at factories. How long before common jobs like McDonald's begin automating things too? You'll only need a janitor for cleaning and someone running the machines. This stuff won't happen over night but it is slowly becoming the reality of America's working field.

Jobs will come into existence to build and maintain these machines but it'll be far fewer than what they take away. These companies are in charge and they'll do whatever it takes to make that extra dollar. A very real example of automation taking over is automatic cars. This is going to completely change the shipping and driving industry. Google is leading the tech and they're making numerous patents that companies are trying to get access to. In the next 10 years we'll see things begin switching over.

The low-skill worker will become obsolete in many places. They'll need to go to college to get anywhere, but that comes with the bull$#@! debt and there's no guarantee of a well-paying job. High-wage jobs will be extremely competitive. A dichotomy between the rich and poor, educated and uneducated will only widen as the employment rate goes up and the buying base goes down...

I guess this is getting off topic though. I'm just saying we're $#@!ed in the long run. The benefits of a degree will only become more necessary but also riskier over time.

Which highlights the fact that skills are more important than degrees. A degree is no guarantee that anyone is anything but a novice in a given field. I work with a large number of IT professionals and I know many don't have any degree whatsoever, but they are all highly skilled. As a matter of fact, I work next to a guy that only has a high school degree. I have a Master's in computer science. We make the same amount of money and he is one hell of a programmer.
    You're totally right, but in many cases employers are looking for certificates and degrees. They're not interested in dealing with potential yet unproven skills. Maybe your coworker got lucky or he had a good resume that impressed. I don't know.

Programing is extremely open and versatile and the result is completely up to the problem-solving of the maker. Some guy who spent his teen years programming can be as proficient as someone who did 4 years of college. But this isn't the case with most professions. There's no entrepreneur engineers or doctors, or anything like that. You need to be demonstrably qualified first or else they'll go with someone else who is.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 06-25-2014 at 02:22.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Forum Overseer
    always wanted to be a programmer but i'm a dumbass, i picked business.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    It's an inevitably, and only now are we reaching the point where it's becoming possible. A few machines and a maintenance worker or two can do the job or 10-30 low-level workers at factories. How long before common jobs like McDonald's begin automating things too? You'll only need a janitor for cleaning and someone running the machines. This stuff won't happen over night but it is slowly becoming the reality of America's working field. Jobs will come into existence to build and maintain these machines but it'll be far fewer than what they take away. These companies are in charge and they'll do whatever it takes to make that extra dollar. A very real example of automation taking over is automatic cars. This is going to completely change the shipping and driving industry. Google is leading the tech and they're making numerous patents that companies are trying to get access to. In the next 10 years we'll see things begin switching over. The low-skill worker will become obsolete in many places. They'll need to go to college to get anywhere, but that comes with the bull$#@! debt and there's no guarantee of a well-paying job. High-wage jobs will be extremely competitive. A dichotomy between the rich and poor, educated and uneducated will only widen as the employment rate goes up and the buying base goes down... I guess this is getting off topic though. I'm just saying we're $#@!ed in the long run. The benefits of a degree will only become more necessary but also riskier over time.
    There are some McDonalds out there that I wish they would automate! But yeah, eventually I think you will be right. Advancements are going to overrun the little guy. Not everyone has the aptitude for higher skilled professions and I don't mean to sound pompous by saying that. It is just the truth.

You're totally right, but in many cases employers are looking for certificates and degrees. They're not interested in dealing with potential yet unproven skills. Maybe your coworker got lucky or he had a good resume that impressed. I don't know. Programing is extremely open and versatile and the result is completely up to the problem-solving of the maker. Some guy who spent his teen years programming can be as proficient as someone who did 4 years of college. But this isn't the case with most professions. There's no entrepreneur engineers or doctors, or anything like that. You need to be demonstrably qualified first or else they'll go with someone else who is.
    Well, the IT industry is a bit different also. Anyone with a computer can learn how stuff works. My first degree was in English Lit. (don't ask). But I programmed professionally for years before I went back for my Masters. So yeah....a bit of a different animal than many professions. But my point goes back to want you want a college degree to do for you. I had no idea what I wanted to do out of high school, but I loved reading so yeah.....literature. Looking back, it would have been easier if there was a clear path to a goal. College is an investment. It needs to be something that is going to give you a return on that investment or it just isn't worth it. And, like you said, some professions require a college degree and most of those actually reward you with decent starting salary. There's your return.

The thing about college is all the bull$#@!. If I want to be a computer programmer then what is the purpose of English, History, Philosophy, and all the other stuff they make you take? Well rounded education? lol.....I spent 12 years in grade school for that. College should be streamlined to learn a skill. Instead, they pad the course load so they will get more money.

17. Likes PS4freak , Nerevar , Lebowski likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    "Do what you love" is not as easy as it sounds anymore.

It really depends on what career you want and from what I hear and see, social science careers are not worth a penny to drop in college or university. But a lot profs have told me programming and code are in demand, so there's that. Film is hit or miss and I'm in that, but there are plenty of jobs around film and television that you can take. Just make sure you're up for the labour part of it and you should be fine.

Looking at what you guys pay here, I'm honestly surprised by how much the prices are. 30k for one year? What the $#@!?

The course I'm in is 4k per year, tops. And you can choose to pay half that twice in the year. One for the fall term and one for the winter term. I'm in college too, so I really get wide eyed when I hear someone tell me they are 100k in debt. What the hell. Why is it that much?

Does the institution offer healthcare under that cost and dental? What goes into the costs? Break it down for me.

For us it's

Instructors fee, which is rounded up to all the classes we take per year or term
    Dental Insurance
    Lab expenses and all the facilities that you can choose to use
    Tax

I remember reading something like that on the bill. But I really wanna know these absurd prices you guys have in the States. Break down the costs for me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    "Do what you love" is not as easy as it sounds anymore.

It really depends on what career you want and from what I hear and see, social science careers are not worth a penny to drop in college or university. But a lot profs have told me programming and code are in demand, so there's that. Film is hit or miss and I'm in that, but there are plenty of jobs around film and television that you can take. Just make sure you're up for the labour part of it and you should be fine.

Looking at what you guys pay here, I'm honestly surprised by how much the prices are. 30k for one year? What the $#@!?

The course I'm in is 4k per year, tops. And you can choose to pay half that twice in the year. One for the fall term and one for the winter term. I'm in college too, so I really get wide eyed when I hear someone tell me they are 100k in debt. What the hell. Why is it that much?

Does the institution offer healthcare under that cost and dental? What goes into the costs? Break it down for me.

For us it's

Instructors fee, which is rounded up to all the classes we take per year or term
    Dental Insurance
    Lab expenses and all the facilities that you can choose to use
    Tax

I remember reading something like that on the bill. But I really wanna know these absurd prices you guys have in the States. Break down the costs for me please.
    Here is the breakdown from my undergrad school. This is a public university. If you live in-state then it is cheaper. No, health care not included. Most students stay under their parents health care plan.

The costs are for two semesters, even though it says 12 hours.

ALABAMA RESIDENT

Undergraduate (12 hours)
    Tuition & Fees $10,200
    Room & Board $12,178
    Books & Supplies $1,200
    Personal $2,728
    Transportation $2,858
    TOTAL COST $29,164

NON-RESIDENT

Undergraduate (12 hours)
    Tuition & Fees $27,384
    Room & Board $12,178
    Books & Supplies $1,200
    Personal $2,728
    Transportation $2,858
    TOTAL COST $46,348
    http://www.auburn.edu/admissions/money-matters.html

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    ^ Holy crap! The education system in America is about as broken as anything else you guys have.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    That's pretty terrible. Yeah, I have it pretty easy here with 4K per year.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The having to do a multitude of subjects other than your chosen subject of "physics" for example I think is a waste of time.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Since colleges are a pretty big deal in America, what's the difference between it and University?

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Since colleges are a pretty big deal in America, what's the difference between it and University?
    Basically the first two years of College (University for you guys) is an extension of high school( I believe you guys call it college). Like Christopher said, it's a big angle of making more money. Then you get into the meat and bones of your major in the last 2 to 2 1/2 years. Some of the previous stuff can be applied within your major but most isn't. Basically at the end you get your piece of paper. Two scenarios basically happen after that. You got a good degree and find a good job in a good market. Or you got a not so good degree, which of course they aren't going to tell you, and you get bragging rights and a little higher bump on the ladder in the interview process.

America has been taking advantage of the economics lately by demanding solid experience and a degree. Basically a degree used to be the end all. Not anymore.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

25. Likes Omar, Christopher likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    The thing about college is all the bull$#@!. If I want to be a computer programmer then what is the purpose of English, History, Philosophy, and all the other stuff they make you take? Well rounded education? lol.....I spent 12 years in grade school for that. College should be streamlined to learn a skill. Instead, they pad the course load so they will get more money.
    Yeah, it's just a money squeeze. Higher education is a business first and a place of learning second. Only natural considering how money-motivated the whole operation is. If you look at colleges today and colleges 20-30 years ago you'll see that administration has exploded in size and cost. that's where a lot of the money is going. It's being sucked up by what's effectively bureaucracy that's only managing it's own funding. Seriously, have you seen the inside of their offices? They still use paper for everything. Records and data are only logged electronically for transitional purposes.

Not to mention how disgustingly carefree some of these schools are with the money they get from the Sate. I'm a student of the highest rated college in my state, and they get millions every year from the state in funding to use however they like. Every semester they'll tear up a third of the side walks and plants just to spend the money, or they'll build a new building that costs millions (gold trimming and everything. No joke). Last year they tore up the outside sitting area, built a huge amphitheater, then they tore it down during the fall that same year for a miniature park. I wonder what they'll do this fall...

They have to frivolously spend the money or else the state will see the unspent cash and lower funding next year. The whole system is bloated and inefficient. It's a waste of money and it's crippling the young people today that we need to keep the country going forward in the coming decades.

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    ^ Holy crap! The education system in America is about as broken as anything else you guys have.
    Don't bring that socialist commie nazi bull$#@! up in here! Don't you know? Capitalism and freedom! MERKA

Really, though, it's a crappy situation. :s
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

27. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    the problem is that we're letting these institutions get too big. if they were smaller, they'd be a lot more cost efficient. maybe something to do with being govt. run too. it's easier to mooch from the govt. than from locals.

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    I graduated with 18k of debt out of college and now make around 53k/yr at 27 years old with pension and benefits. You don't need huge school debts unless your an Ivy League asshole. Where you go to school doesn't matter, it's what your bring to the table in terms of skills and attitude IMO.

Good attitude means trainable, while a solid basic skill set can easily be built upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran
    I graduated with absolutely no college debt which isn't difficult to do. There are plenty of ways to get enough of your tuition paid for where you end up debt free when you get out, problem is most folks are either ignorant or lazy and just take out student loans.

Also, why anyone would pay full price at a major university for freshman and sophomore level college courses is beyond me. Pretty much every city that has a university also has a junior college where all credits transfer and the cost is considerably less. Hell, most of the junior college professors also teach at the larger universities.

Anyway, while the system could use some improvement, it's not that bad.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Thread Information