Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

EA forfeits PS Vita potential for cash cow

http://www.psu.com/a023895/EA-forfei...l-for-cash-cow

We’ve seen little support for PS Vita from Electronic Arts since Sony launched its handheld in 2012. Ports of Need For Speed Most Wanted, FIFA and Madden go to prove that one of the world’s biggest developers just didn’t have faith in Vita right from the outset.

That trend is set to continue after EA chief operating officer Peter Moore told GamesIndustry.biz that the California-based developer will be focusing on mobiles and tablets rather than Vita and 3DS over the next few years, choosing to speak in the past tense about both gaming machines.

"We were supportive of both of those platforms," Moore said. "But then you've got finite resources and you've got teams that say, 'We really think that two or three years from now, these are the platforms that people are going to be consuming games on.' And you look at the quality of what you can do on phones and tablets.

"Sometimes strategy is not about what you do but what you don't do, and you have to make some hard calls when you've got only so many people. To my point, we've got to be planning for FY 17 and 18. Do you think the Vita and 3DS are going to be around in some shape or fashion by then on a scale level?"

It's another nail in the coffin for Vita's potential as a device that could have been host to many triple-A titles, and it was sad to see it receive little stage time at Sony’s E3 2014 press briefing, with Sony Computer Entertainment U.K. chief Jim Ryan suggesting that it just wasn’t a priority.

"You get an hour and half on the stage, and you've got to work out what's really important to talk about. And obviously PS4, and we also wanted to talk about the innovation stories of PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV and Morpheus. So that stuff was all top of the list,” said Ryan.

Support for Vita from third-party developers has been fairly poor since launch and Sony recently explained that it would be decreasing first-party support and putting more of an emphasis on bringing Indies to its handheld, while touting its strengths as a Remote Play device for PS4.
    Just realized......I need to learn to read Japanese.
    Last edited by Christopher; 07-02-2014 at 14:24.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Just realized......I need to learn to read Japanese.
    Exactly. I'm starting to wonder why they actually made the Vita... No use to make an actual handheld if you're barely putting time/support in it. Sony disappoints me big time in this. I pre-ordered one and was stoked as $#@! because I expected this'd be alike the PSP, only better graphics. Starting to think of searching online to get a new PSP Fat (the old one) again and play that instead of this...

Battlelog: MrUltraah | PSN: kipkebab92 | Steam: ultraah | Twitch: MrUltraah | Xfire: dahultrapro

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Supportive in the sense of doing $#@! all for the platform, nice

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro1_231 using Tapatalk

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I was going to say EA never did that much for the Vita anyway lol
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    I was going to say EA never did that much for the Vita anyway lol
    yeah....may be a larger impact on 3DS than Vita. No no more ports of Madden, NFS, or FIFA? Not the kind of stuff I bought a Vita for anyway so....
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Need for Speed was the only decent one from what I played IMO. At least Criterion can hold their head high with that.

As for the bull$#@! that is the FIFA series on the vita it doesn't exactly matter. If you want fifa 15 for the vita just buy fifa football the launch title and move afew players in the the edit menu to their new teams as that's all EA did anyway and expect you to shell out another 40 for it year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Overseer

the article title makes it sound like bad news for Vita only but it's bad news for both competing handhelds.

8. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    The only bad thing about this is I would love The Sims 4 when they make console versions. The Sims 3 on PS3 was much closer to the PC versions and it would be awesome if it was on Vita. Hopefully this just means their yearly $#@! though which I couldn't care less about.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    What have EA done for Vita anyway?
    • Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    • FIFA Football
    • FIFA 13
    • Madden NFL 13

All of this in well over 2 years! EA never supported the Vita and to be fair I'm glad, EA are going down the $#@!ter anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I need to learn to read Japanese.
    そうですか.

11. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Forum Elder
    I'll be more pissed off at sony if they don't continue supporting it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information