Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: The Most Greatness?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Naughty Dog

    44 84.62%
  • Sony Santa Monica

    4 7.69%
  • No, please. I can't decide! :'(

    4 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
  1. #1
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    21,759
    Rep Power
    188
    Points
    3,154 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Naughty Dog vs. Sony Santa Monica

    Which PlayStation developer would you say is the most talented between the two and are most excited to see what they might achieve on the PS4?

    As you know, Naughty Dog is well-known for Uncharted and Sony Santa Monica for God of War. We had our first look at Uncharted 4 but have yet to see God of War IV. But based on your experiences playing games from both developers, who would you choose as PlayStation's premier developer?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:46.

  2. #2
    Valar Morghulis
    Serinous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Posts
    10,863
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    20,540 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ND, for sure.




  3. #3
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,874
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    20,503 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ND is great, but SSM also helps side develop many other games too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Santa_Monica_Studio

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  4. #4
    The Dawkness!
    Naxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,561
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    6,540 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Naughty Dog. I'd like to see something new from SSM, but I'd also like to see a next gen GoW.

    My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

  5. #5
    Apprentice
    Libra-75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    9
    Points
    1,071 (0 Banked)
    For me it's definitely ND, without a doubt.

  6. #6
    PSU Editor
    Shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,933
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    8,145 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Naughty Dog, without question. Both are immensely talented, but ND's a more well-rounded, refined developer methinks.

    Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

  7. #7
    Master Guru
    MjW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,382
    Rep Power
    95
    Points
    5,774 (44,164 Banked)
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    ND gets my vote too. Not only for their games, but as a whole.

    They sponsor an animal shelter too. Naughty Dog for naughty dogs FTW.



    On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

    .

  8. #8
    Newbie
    platinumseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Iceland
    Age
    19
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    750 (0 Banked)
    Both great developers but my vote goes to naughty dog, mainly because i think ND has way more detailed games and i find them more professional if you know what i mean
    "Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everyone fucking except for you! So don't tell me I would be safer with somebody else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." Ellie , The Last Of Us

  9. #9
    Apprentice
    Captncoke49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Frederick,MD
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Age
    34
    Posts
    228
    Rep Power
    62
    Points
    2,383 (0 Banked)
    Both are great but I give the edge to ND. The Last Of Us was the reason for the edge. Hard to ignore.

  10. #10
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,649
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,658 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ND wipe their asses with Santa Monica.

    I didn't want to be too mean.

  11. #11
    Forum Elder
    RedOrb_Collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,990
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    13,812 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Sony Santa Monica in terms of sheer tech talent. Quite handily.

    God of War 3 blew away Uncharted 2 when it came out, and it was their first PS3 game.

    And God of War Ascension blew away Uncharted 3, and it was only their second PS3 game. The Last of Us came out months after and still wasn't as technically brilliant.

    They also help with tons of other projects on the side.

    In terms of critical reception Naughty Dog fairs better, but in terms of tech achievements on equivalent machines, easily Sony Santa Monica.

    Nothing ND did matched Ascension's sheer scale, detail, and lighting, and that game still hit 60 fps in some scenes.

    In terms of personal game choice, I go with Santa Monica, as I don't like third person shooters as much as Action Adventures.
    Last edited by RedOrb_Collector; 3 Weeks Ago at 15:18.

  12. Likes AaronSOLDIER , Kauldron likes this post
  13. #12
    overstepping the mark
    -Shafty-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,349
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    36,732 (10,700 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    Sony Santa Monica in terms of sheer tech talent. Quite handily.

    God of War 3 blew away Uncharted 2 when it came out, and it was their first PS3 game.

    And God of War Ascension blew away Uncharted 3, and it was only their second PS3 game. The Last of Us came out months after and still wasn't as technically brilliant.

    They also help with tons of other projects on the side.

    In terms of critical reception Naughty Dog fairs better, but in terms of tech achievements on equivalent machines, easily Sony Santa Monica.

    Nothing ND did matched Ascension's sheer scale, detail, and lighting, and that game still hit 60 fps in some scenes.

    In terms of personal game choice, I go with Santa Monica, as I don't like third person shooters as much as Action Adventures.
    You're wrong, of course

    ND all the way, button bashers can smoke my dome!


    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

  14. #13
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,649
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,658 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    Sony Santa Monica in terms of sheer tech talent. Quite handily.

    God of War 3 blew away Uncharted 2 when it came out, and it was their first PS3 game.

    And God of War Ascension blew away Uncharted 3, and it was only their second PS3 game. The Last of Us came out months after and still wasn't as technically brilliant.

    They also help with tons of other projects on the side.

    In terms of critical reception Naughty Dog fairs better, but in terms of tech achievements on equivalent machines, easily Sony Santa Monica.

    Nothing ND did matched Ascension's sheer scale, detail, and lighting, and that game still hit 60 fps in some scenes.

    In terms of personal game choice, I go with Santa Monica, as I don't like third person shooters as much as Action Adventures.
    your opinions stink.

  15. Likes -Shafty- likes this post
  16. #14
    overstepping the mark
    -Shafty-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,349
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    36,732 (10,700 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    your opinions stink.
    stinks of worthlessness


    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

  17. #15
    Forum Elder
    RedOrb_Collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,990
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    13,812 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    your opinions stink.
    The only opinion in there was that I prefer the genres SSM dabbles in to Naughty Dog's.

    Everything else was simply a fact.

    Objectively, SSM's games are technically superior to anything Naughty Dog did on the PS3. Digital Foundry certainly agrees, as they held Ascension above any other console game last gen in their analysis just before this gen started.

    The Last of Us was a better game than anything SSM did though, as a whole.

  18. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
  19. #16
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,649
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,658 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i'm unable to process this information.

  20. #17
    PSU Live Streamer
    YoungMullah88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Posts
    14,227
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    30,783 (1,800 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If naughty dogs made the type of games SSM makes then they will technically have the superior games because SSM games are more closed in than ND games it allows them to do a lot of things that ND can't pull off because of how big the levels are in the uncharted/tlou universe

  21. #18
    Racing Game Fanatic
    Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Posts
    5,565
    Rep Power
    30
    Points
    173,339 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I love Naughty Dog just because of TLOU, I know they have made a lot of games in the past but that game was right up my street and was massively happy when they announced it would be remastered for PS4, ND all the way for me!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

    Twitter ID: Duffman1986

    My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming



  22. #19
    Forum Elder
    RedOrb_Collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,990
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    13,812 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    If naughty dogs made the type of games SSM makes then they will technically have the superior games because SSM games are more closed in than ND games it allows them to do a lot of things that ND can't pull off because of how big the levels are in the uncharted/tlou universe
    Sorry, but this is completely, completely opposite of reality.

    The Last Of Us and Uncharted had a moderate to small scale. Small buildings, a few small, tight bits of forest, and narrow corridors were the bulk of those games.

    The biggest level in The Last of Us was the university campus.

    The biggest level in Ascension was either the Apollo statue that takes up the entire isle of Delos, or the Temple of Delphi, nestled in the mountains, surrounded by three mountain sized mechanical snakes.

    Kratos' levels and the scale he was dealing with were so large that he was often the size of a pin on your screen, because you could still navigate because you were cutting a swath through large areas. Joel is always fulled sized on screen because you were always having to navigate tiny areas. If you pulled the camera back on Joel as far back as the camera is often pulled back on Kratos, the smallness of his environments becomes even more apparent.

    The Delos Apollo statue's foot ALONE was as big or bigger than the entire university building.


    You guys need to get off the kool-aid with the Last of Us, it was a better game than anything SSM did as far as its record breaking awards, absolutely, but that doesn't equate to being more impressive in tech. Not even close.

    The Last of Us wasn't much of a step up from Uncharted 3. It had better lighting and animations and suffered frame-rate drops because of it. So it is more or less on the same level of impressiveness.

    -God of War Ascension had superior frame-rate. Ranging up to 60 fps occassional, but mostly being between 30 and 45 fps, while never dropping below that. The Last of Us frequently dropped below 30 fps and had a lot of judder in 'big' fights.
    -God of War Ascension had more enemies on screen.
    -God of War Ascension had more lightning sources on screen. Granted its a high fantasy mythology game and the Last of Us is a gritty post-apocalyptic game, but that's still a bigger demand regardless.
    -God of War Ascension's LOD was far, far, far, more impressive. In the Last of Us, you lose geometry after about 15 meters. God of War has you dealing with 500 meter tall characters where even though the game pulls back the camera extremely far, you lose geometry and detail on virtually nothing at all in the scenery or characters.
    -Ascension had more consistently hi-res textures. Many of them in The Last of Us was jarringly low-res. Ascension also had tons of reflective surfaces too, that added a great sheen.

    And for the above, they would have limited the LOD more if they weren't under time constraints as per their admission, and if they did they would have freed up even more GPU power...And the game already looked flat out better than The Last of Us, even with more going on, larger scale, and much higher frame rate.

    Who knows what Naughty Dog would do with a similar genre on the PS3, but seeing as the Last of Us even with less demands didn't look as good as Ascension, I doubt they would have compared very well.

    SSM is the best Sony has in technical acheivements, thus far. That's why they have their hands in so many games, as well as being a big part of XDev.
    Last edited by RedOrb_Collector; 3 Weeks Ago at 22:26.

  23. #20
    The Dawkness!
    Naxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,561
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    6,540 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I believe DF said Ascension is up there with the rest. Both make very impressive looking games. I don't know if I'd Ascension the edge though. Kratos is the only impressive looking character. The game has simplistic AI, disappearing enemies, barely any physics, smaller playground (with grand vistas to be fair), worse overall animations, less dynamic lighting. It didn't even have that many enemies on screen.

    Mind you, the game is still very impressive. I completed Ascension yesterday. I'd like to see them venture outside GoW.

    E: Can't forget fixed cameras.
    Last edited by Naxi; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:20.

    My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

  24. #21
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,079
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,554 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    You're wrong, of course

    ND all the way, button bashers can smoke my dome!
    What exactly are you pressing in other games? If not "buttons."

  25. #22
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    21,759
    Rep Power
    188
    Points
    3,154 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Whoa, I might have overestimated the love for God of War, as nearly everyone voted for Naughty Dog.

    I will say that Sony Santa Monica, apart from creating some crazy huge set-pieces, also have some neat camera work and fluid animations that can be mesmerizing, using Ascension as an example.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 3 Weeks Ago at 00:18.

  26. #23
    Forum Elder
    Venger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,635
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    2,302 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    The only opinion in there was that I prefer the genres SSM dabbles in to Naughty Dog's.

    Everything else was simply a fact.

    Objectively, SSM's games are technically superior to anything Naughty Dog did on the PS3. Digital Foundry certainly agrees, as they held Ascension above any other console game last gen in their analysis just before this gen started.

    The Last of Us was a better game than anything SSM did though, as a whole.
    Except for the fact Ascension pretty much was the worst game in the God of War series. It might be technically impressive, though I'm not sure it even lives up to God of War 3, but it wasn't remotely as much fun as any of the Uncharted games.

  27. #24
    Master Sage
    Bitbydeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    14,021
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    41,037 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm gonna have to go SSM because WARHAWK $#@!ES!














    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 3 Weeks Ago at 00:52.

  28. #25
    Apprentice
    Captncoke49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Frederick,MD
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Age
    34
    Posts
    228
    Rep Power
    62
    Points
    2,383 (0 Banked)
    Well played Bit, well played. I absolutely loved warhawk. That game was awesome! That is one of the few they need to bring back for PS4.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.