Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Superior Member
    Pap3rThin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    807 (0 Banked)

    Finally going to purchase a PS4 this week.

    I think I have finally reached the point where I'm going to fork over the $400 and buy myself a PS4. At launch I picked the Xbox One and have LOVED it so far, but I need a PlayStation in my life again. I have a few questions about it though:

    What games are MUST have(s) at purchase? I've never liked any of the inFamous games from the past and I have a feeling I might not enjoy Second Son.

    Is there anywhere that's running a deal on PS+? I'm looking to buy a 1-year membership.

    Please give me details about PS Now. It sounds incredible.

    How are the thumbsticks holding out on the PS4 controller? I remember reading quite a few reports that the rubber around the sticks wear out pretty quickly and whenever I have a gaming session, I normally play for hours at end.

    One last note: I can't wait to play the Last of Us: Remastered!

    PSN Gamertag: Kertiously

    PS4 Coming Soon

    XBL Gamertag: VoKeM

    Xbox One Day One Member


  2. #2
    Master Sage
    HellsJester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alone in the Cold
    Posts
    13,626
    Rep Power
    114
    Points
    42,018 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap3rThin View Post
    I think I have finally reached the point where I'm going to fork over the $400 and buy myself a PS4. At launch I picked the Xbox One and have LOVED it so far, but I need a PlayStation in my life again. I have a few questions about it though:

    What games are MUST have(s) at purchase? I've never liked any of the inFamous games from the past and I have a feeling I might not enjoy Second Son.

    Is there anywhere that's running a deal on PS+? I'm looking to buy a 1-year membership.

    Please give me details about PS Now. It sounds incredible.

    How are the thumbsticks holding out on the PS4 controller? I remember reading quite a few reports that the rubber around the sticks wear out pretty quickly and whenever I have a gaming session, I normally play for hours at end.

    One last note: I can't wait to play the Last of Us: Remastered!
    A few people i talk to about the analog sticks just mod the Xbone analog sticks on them.



  3. #3
    Racing Game Fanatic!!
    Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chillin by the poo!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,264
    Rep Power
    41
    Points
    225,187 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    To be fair I have had 2 controllers since release and not one of them has suffered from the rubber being worn off the thumbsticks so I guess some last better than others!

    It all depends what sort of games you are into really as to which games to get!

    PS Now looks like it is going to be awesome as long as Sony get the pricing structure right to please everybody, plus some are hoping that there will be a subscription plan as well like PS+! You will be able to stream PS3 games at first to your PS4 and Vita as well as many other devices and eventually they will add PS1 and PS2 games to the service as well!

    And last but not least, enjoy your PS4, they are awesome!!!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

    Twitter ID: Duffman1986

    Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

    My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming



  4. #4
    Racing Game Fanatic!!
    Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chillin by the poo!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,264
    Rep Power
    41
    Points
    225,187 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    To be fair I have had 2 controllers since release and not one of them has suffered from the rubber being worn off the thumbsticks so I guess some last better than others!

    It all depends what sort of games you are into really as to which games to get!

    PS Now looks like it is going to be awesome as long as Sony get the pricing structure right to please everybody, plus some are hoping that there will be a subscription plan as well like PS+! You will be able to stream PS3 games at first to your PS4 and Vita as well as many other devices and eventually they will add PS1 and PS2 games to the service as well!

    And last but not least, enjoy your PS4, they are awesome!!!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

    Twitter ID: Duffman1986

    Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

    My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming



  5. #5
    Apprentice
    vinny_pizza79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Patchogue, NY
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    3,855 (0 Banked)
    I picked up a couple of pairs of gel tabz for the sticks and love the feel, but even before then I never noticed wear on mine. As for games, depends on your taste. I go from Call of Duty to MLB The Show, to Watchdogs. I have Infamous SS but honestly, I have barely touched it, maybe at some point over the summer I'll get into it. Throw in a few ps plus games and I've loved my ps4, no regrets at all.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Elite Guru
    EHY893's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,575
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    27,435 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    My sticks on both my controllers did start to slightly wear but I put on Kontrol Freeks before major damage was done. I prefer the additional stick height now though and couldn't ever go back to the standard analogs.

    I still wish the battery life of the DS4 was 5 times longer at least. It seemed like the DS3 could last days before needing a charge and I'm needing to charge my DS4 after every time I use it.
    Last edited by EHY893; 07-07-2014 at 16:44.

  7. #7
    Super Elite
    K2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,000
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    13,777 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I highly recommend the indie games Don't Starve and Towerfall: Ascension. Here's the deal - they are the meat that'll keep you satisfied in-between the big-budget titles, but aren't as effective of showing what the hardware is capable off.

    Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    ...
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

  8. #8
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,293
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    51,186 (0 Banked)
    No issues w/ my Analog Sticks so far.

    As far as must haves. Most of them have been Cross Platform games: AC:BF, Watch Dogs, Tomb Raider, ...

    For exclusives available right now - InFamous SS.

    Plenty of great Indie's and F2Ps that can easily suck up a lot of your time. This months PS+ free games on PS4 are Tower Fall Ascension (Personally I couldn't stand it - forced to used D-pad for movement and pointing is asking too much for this game IMHO), Strider (pretty fun, a bit old school platforming), Doki Doki Universe (it's Free on all PS platforms this month)



  9. #9
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,688
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,721 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    my thumbstick has a weird problem. whenever i move the right one to the right...it doesn't sometimes register or registers a bit but not all the way. like a deadzone issue.

    i'm almost 100% positive it's my son's doing because he has broken plenty of my controllers...but i can't confirm it because the PS4 controller is a $#@! to open up, very complicated. so i'm not taking chances.

    however, the problem has been going on for a few months so it's possible it's related to the hardware? although it did get better at some points, just that it went back to being this way. and i usually don't notice it being worse or less worse...so i don't know what to do think of it.

    i did notice the stick rubber being a little worn off...i guess others have worn it out way faster because they also masturbate while playing but i like to do the two things separately.

    either way i'm sending my controller in and will get a new one...i'm kinda excited because i might get a newer version which may have less issues.

  10. #10
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,293
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    51,186 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    my thumbstick has a weird problem. whenever i move the right one to the right...it doesn't sometimes register or registers a bit but not all the way. like a deadzone issue.

    i'm almost 100% positive it's my son's doing because he has broken plenty of my controllers...but i can't confirm it because the PS4 controller is a $#@! to open up, very complicated. so i'm not taking chances.

    however, the problem has been going on for a few months so it's possible it's related to the hardware? although it did get better at some points, just that it went back to being this way. and i usually don't notice it being worse or less worse...so i don't know what to do think of it.

    i did notice the stick rubber being a little worn off...i guess others have worn it out way faster because they also masturbate while playing but i like to do the two things separately.

    either way i'm sending my controller in and will get a new one...i'm kinda excited because i might get a newer version which may have less issues.
    Must be the lube getting into your controller causing it to have the deadzone. On the plus side, the lube reduces the friction so the rubber doesn't rub off as much

    PS: Why the name change?



  11. #11
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,688
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,721 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Must be the lube getting into your controller causing it to have the deadzone. On the plus side, the lube reduces the friction so the rubber doesn't rub off as much
    i swear i was making sure the controller didn't get in the way lol. but i think it might be something that resembles lube...with sugar in it. my son probably spilled something sweet on it. but yeah, i would've just opened up if it were a DS3 but not $#@!ing with a DS4.

    PS: Why the name change?
    i need fun in my life. i guess i feel that it's more personal when you know the person's name.

  12. Likes TAZ427 likes this post
  13. #12
    Master Guru
    TDbank24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,891
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    39,244 (0 Banked)
    The PS4 is a solid console so i think you'll enjoy it. Like you said, you already have an Xbox One though. That's what i went with first and i haven't been disappointed at all. I haven't played my PS4 nearly as much as my X1 but i know that's going to change eventually. Right now, Infamous: Second Son is the only must have exclusive game on the PS4 in my opinion and it's a short single player game. Nothing wrong with that but don't expect to get your $400 value out of one game. Plus you said you don't really care for Infamous to begin with. First time through, i thought it was amazing though.

    PS+ is the best thing going in gaming at the moment in my opinion. If you like free games, and deals on newer games it's a homerun. It's better than Microsoft's Games with Gold promotion right now and that hasn't even extended to the One yet i believe. It's still a 360 thing with older games on offer. Lots of good fun games through PS+ though. You'll love it for sure.

    I've had my two DS4 controllers for 5 months now and have used them enough to say they're holding together good. I don't know what people are doing to their controllers to have the rubber wear off the analogs. Maybe i just haven't used them enough yet. Time will tell. Oh and i can't wait for The Last of Us remaster either. Already played it on the PS3 but i'm excited for it. A game so nice i'll play it twice!


  14. #13
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,293
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    51,186 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I've had my two DS4 controllers for 5 months now and have used them enough to say they're holding together good. I don't know what people are doing to their controllers to have the rubber wear off the analogs. Maybe i just haven't used them enough yet. Time will tell. Oh and i can't wait for The Last of Us remaster either. Already played it on the PS3 but i'm excited for it. A game so nice i'll play it twice!
    I'd guess that there's at least two things happening here. The most likely issue is some contamination before the 'grippy rubber' is applied. A tiny bit of residue on top of the plastic sticks and then the grippy rubber is applied, and the rubber bonds to the residue in that area and not to the sticks. I say this because there were reports of this happening extremely early.

    The other part I'd guess would be how aggressive of a stick user you are. I'm fairly aggressive and when in really helter skelter activity I'll be putting enough pressure on the sticks while trying to maneuver to unintentionally depress the L3/R3. This isn't from direct down depressing but pressing down hard enough while having the stick full left/full right to trigger it. That is aggressive thumb pressure and I could see it wearing the rubber at the edges over time.

    To be honest, I'd guess it's a mixture of these two items that are causing the majority of these issues.



  15. #14
    Super Elite
    K2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,000
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    13,777 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    @TAZ427 your right about the analog sticks. In addition to being agressive, our fingernails are doing a real number on the rubber. It all comes down to how shoddy the material is, I guess.

    Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    ...
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

  16. #15
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,688
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,721 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    well there goes my response. thank you IE. love ya.

    anyway, long story short. there's defintely something wrong with the rubber material on the sticks. i've never abused my controllers and i also noticed some of it coming off a bit. glad i'm getting it replaced by Sony...maybe the new one won't have this issue.

  17. #16
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,293
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    51,186 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    well there goes my response. thank you IE. love ya.

    anyway, long story short. there's defintely something wrong with the rubber material on the sticks. i've never abused my controllers and i also noticed some of it coming off a bit. glad i'm getting it replaced by Sony...maybe the new one won't have this issue.
    Hopefully the new ones won't give you any issues. I'd be interested to hear how they are holding up 1yr from now.

    Hopefully my guess is correct that it's a residue contamination problem (i.e. they're not cleaning the residue off the sticks sufficiently before applying the rubber.) If this is the case, then they should be able to identify it easily, and take preventative measures. The big problem is they had manufactures a whole bunch of these without realizing the issue. The good thing is they're replacing the ones that have the issue.

    If it were a poor rubber compound issue, then I'd think we'd be seeing a lot more failures than what we've seen to date.



  18. #17
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,688
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,721 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    yeah i don't know much about materials so it's interesting to read about that however from my simplistic view, it is likely the rubber quality itself...so i'm guessing the former one you said? seems it may not be the latter.

    P.S. yeah, the guy gave me no issues, asked me to return it right away. all he asked was if i reset the controller, which i didn't know was possible. little hole in the back. though i kinda knew it wasn't gonna fix it...because it seems more of a hardware issue than software...but worth a try i guess.

  19. #18
    Superior Member
    Boxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    18
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    46
    Points
    1,559 (0 Banked)
    Someone suggested Resogun in the thread I made. After I looked it up on You Tube, I think it looks really cool too. If I had a PS4 it would be one of the first games I bought.
    Platinum/100%: -Fallout 3- -Call of Duty: World at War- -Bioshock- -Modern Warfare 2- -Bioshock 2- -Bioshock: Infinite- -Call of Duty: Black Ops-

  20. #19
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NYC
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    Posts
    914
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    1,765 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
    Someone suggested Resogun in the thread I made. After I looked it up on You Tube, I think it looks really cool too. If I had a PS4 it would be one of the first games I bought.
    Resogun is a great game, very underrated. If you have a PS4 that's a cheap but good quality indie game to get. This month you also get Strider for free, which is also worth playing.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

  21. #20
    Superior Member
    Pap3rThin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    807 (0 Banked)
    Thanks for all the responses everyone, I really appreciate it.

    I finally got the PS4 today! What I've noticed so far is how smooth the system runs. No hiccups, transition from one thing to another like nothing. Definitely a big upgrade over the PS3. I purchased MLB 14 The Show and Killzone, however my friend recommended to me that I should return Killzone because it's almost impossible to find matches. Is this true? I havent opened it yet because I don't want to feel like I wasted money. I also pre ordered The Last of Us Remastered.

    One thing I noticed, I believe I've come across a glitch: in the PSN store when you go to search something, nothing comes up at all. No keyboard to type anything, so I have not been able to search anything specific in the PSN store which is very annoying. Has anyone else experienced that?

    Also, please add me on PSN. I have almost no friends with a PS4, almost all of them
    are still on the PS3.
    Last edited by Pap3rThin; 07-09-2014 at 07:56.

    PSN Gamertag: Kertiously

    PS4 Coming Soon

    XBL Gamertag: VoKeM

    Xbox One Day One Member


  22. #21
    Veteran
    jj03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,665
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    7,768 (0 Banked)
    Items Manchester United
    Just get the stick tops off ebay. Problem solved. (I know its besides the point). Got a few myself.

    Also, do yourself a favour and download resogun. Your welcome.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.