Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Non 1080P due to ESRAM. No definite resolution benefit from from DX12

"Devs Not Hitting 1080p on Xbox One Due To Memory Bandwidth/ESRAM/RAM, No Definite on Resolution Benefit With DX12"

"Resolution-gate has been one of the hottest topic of discussion of new generation consoles war, many developers have openly admitted that due to ESRAM, they were unable to lock their games in native 1080p resolution on Xbox One as compared to the Playstation 4, where almost all games run at 1080p. Recently, Stardock's CEO Brad Wardell spoke about why developers are unable to hit 1080p on Xbox One, benefits of DirectX 12 and a lot of more things.

Xbox One

I recently got in touch with Wardell via Twitter and asked: What exactly is the reason behind developers being unable to hit 1080p/60 FPS on Xbox One whereas on PS4 it's a cakewalk? Twitter user "Perpetual Coding" jumped in and replied: "I believe it's to do with memory bandwidth and not utilizing the ESram efficiently."

To this Wardell replied that "that's our take as well." and added that "MS cheaped out on the RAM."

Furthermore, I inquired Wardell on his previous statement: "Mantle provided a 6X performance boost for their engine as compared to DX 11", so how much performance boost do you expect from DX12 for your engine?

To this Wardell replied:

"depends on the game. The more objects on screen the more boost you get. Will mean little for a typical FPS, but huge for RTS."

When quizzed further: Does this mean resolution benefit will definitely come with DX 12? he replied:

"there are no 'definite' it'll depend on the developer."

Lastly, Wardell stated that currently gaming industry is on the cusp of a new golden age. When asked what exactly are the key fundamentals that are leading to this new golden age? he replied:

"64bit memory space, digital distribution and more female participation (more brain power in coming up with new ideas)."

I also got in touch with JS Bourdon, R&D graphics programmer at Square Enix and Sebastian Sylvan, Graphics engineer working at Microsoft on Secret Project and asked for some Direct X12 benefits for Xbox One.

Bourdon replied that the tech is currently in NDA and so he can't talk about it now, but added that "It will be a very good thing!". Sebastian declined to comment as he's not working on DX12: "I really have no inside info on that (not working on DX12). Probably a bigger deal for PC since consoles are already low level"

So there you have it folks, everyone is accepting that there will be some performance improvement is coming with Direct X12 but no one is openly admitting that it's going to end resolution-gate controversy."

http://www.gamepur.com/news/15366-de...-definite.html

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I think they have given up.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

MS fans, that like to argue power, will eventually swallow the pill.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

As of right now, F Destiny.

Forum Sage
    The die-hard MS fans (reasonable ones along with unreasonable ones) have all left.....haven't you guys noticed?

(Some have made 'special appearances' though)
    Last edited by sainraja; 07-08-2014 at 11:05.

5. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    nah, they left because no one here makes it enjoyable to be a multiconsole gamer.

Honestly, at this point, PSU should just admit it that they don't want, will not support, nor moderate out the Xbox forums.

In the forum overhaul, they might as well eradicate any form of pretentiousness about supporting gamers news for other consoles and just let the trolls post more LOL posts.
    LMAO

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    ^ this

nobody left to troll = no more troll posts! iv been saying that for years!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

8. Likes John Willaford likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    nah, they left because no one here makes it enjoyable to be a multiconsole gamer.

Honestly, at this point, PSU should just admit it that they don't want, will not support, nor moderate out the Xbox forums.

In the forum overhaul, they might as well eradicate any form of pretentiousness about supporting gamers news for other consoles and just let the trolls post more LOL posts.
    exactly i've been beating my chest all these years telling the staff the exact thing.

it's not that complicated. you either make it multiplat or you make it platform-specific. OR you will have issues. no matter what you do.

why make it more difficult for everyone?

they say, "oh but multiplat forms don't do well." (paraphrase)

what about NEOGAF?

that's an exception.

lol so? lol be that exception mofos. if not, then don't even try something in-between. it doesn't work!

i made a thread stating to make this forum multiplat because i wanted them to fix the trolling problem.

there's no logic in naming a website "PlayStation Universe" and then saying...oh but we have like some people and some sections here where people may not be worshipping the PS consoles...yeah, so...

if you name a website PlayStation, you're going to get diehard fans, you can't deny this. it's going to happen.

if you name it something more neutral then they may get all sorts of people.

so yes, i think they might as well just take them out or what i also said, just combine them all together and call it other gaming within the PS section. like an other gaming sub-section.

they don't understand why they can't revive this forum...i'm not saying that's it...i'm saying this is part of the problem. there are various other problems...and i think some of those would be fixed from the overhaul that's coming but i feel like it's a bit late at this point...people have moved on. i'd be surprised if we can keep a healthy community going at this point.

this overhaul should've been there years ago. i understand that it was difficult or whatever...my point is, that doesn't change the fact that it was needed. and yes, there's no real leadership. i'm sorry to say this because i know ghost tries his best but it seems like PSU doesn't know what it's doing and what it wants. i'm going to blame the owner(s)...not ghost.

i know we've had change of owners as well. it just doesn't seem like the owner(s) is/are experienced in this sort of thing, everything they focus on (PSU media etc) always fails...and their attempt is always mediocre or less.

i think they've done better with articles but even that...they make it so difficult to respond to it that i mostly just post the articles in the forums myself when i want to talk about it. that's awful...if the website isn't allowing ease for people that are already signed up for it then you have failed hard...

i still have no $#@!ing idea how we have survived this long. it's a miracle. i stick around just due to this reason...because i want to stay part of this $#@!ing miracle.

Forum Sage

oh come on, I'm a multi-console owner and I don't see how anyone here has gone out of the way to make it harder for anyone in particular. There are issues that need to be accounted for....sure....not the reasons they all "left" this place because of.

It's easier to place blame....and I hope I am wrong but that seems to be your goal here. We're at this point and the people willing to stay and come up with solutions are more valuable over those who just up and leave when things don't go their way no matter the challenge.

Look, the type of stuff you might point out happened during the PS3 generation as well (a lot of the criticism being leveled at XONE, used to be towards the PS3 needing to prove itself or whatever), the only difference is, the shoe is on the other foot and some couldn't take it. Unless something else happened that I am not aware of......that's not something you leave over.

Opinions, opinions.....we all have them. Preferences, we all have it. You might get harassed for yours but if you're open about it, no one will give you "$#@!."

As for Xbox being a separate section and the staff wanting to keep it that way? Or is it the staff wanting to merge it and people having issue with that? It hasn't happened....Xbox still has a section. I don't see what the big deal there is.
    Last edited by sainraja; 07-08-2014 at 18:52.

Forum Overseer
    @sain. that is a good point. there was a lot of trolling against PS3 back in the day and yes some people left but you know, if you're childish and can't take it, well what can ya do.

there are always going to be rivalries and opinions. and i'm pretty sure that most people that left just could not take the fact that X1 was inferior...far inferior. if you can't take reality into account and would rather avoid it then...not being here should be the last of your worries.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    @sain. that is a good point. there was a lot of trolling against PS3 back in the day and yes some people left but you know, if you're childish and can't take it, well what can ya do.

there are always going to be rivalries and opinions. and i'm pretty sure that most people that left just could not take the fact that X1 was inferior...far inferior. if you can't take reality into account and would rather avoid it then...not being here should be the last of your worries.
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49

I don't normally post in this section unless something peaks my interest but what you said here is the feeling I had about some people here. When I joined the forum PS3 gamers were subjected to constant trolling. Now things are different and the same guys that trolled or similar are leaving. I still question some members reasoning for being here.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Captncoke49 View Post
    I don't normally post in this section unless something peaks my interest but what you said here is the feeling I had about some people here. When I joined the forum PS3 gamers were subjected to constant trolling. Now things are different and the same guys that trolled or similar are leaving. I still question some members reasoning for being here.
    oh yeah, we've had that chat a lot here.

i think, in the end, my question changed from what some are doing here to...why are you expecting fairness in a place where majority aren't like you or like what you like. there is going to be unfairness.

you knew that (or should know that and expect it) when you joined up.

if you go too hard on people, they leave..and that's exactly what happened here. many...and i mean, MANY people were banned here that i would consider trollish but if there weren't multiplat discussions here, they wouldn't have trolled. why? because they were mostly PS enthusiasts and they came here because the website is named PS Universe.

now i would consider them real trolls if they went to the Xbox forums (not Xbox section within a PS forum). you can't expect fairness in a place like this.

so what we did was we banned all these people that were keeping this forum alive and now we can't figure out what the problem is. guess what? those people were potential "money" for this site and they lost that opportunity because we banned these people for loving the PS brand too much. how ironic is that?

most of these people were just very enthusiastic, they came here to find like-minded people. that's what everyone came here for. but it was a $#@!ing trap lol.

P.S. no matter how much people want to deny it...most Xbox users that came here had one major purpose (whether that changed later or lessened later): be missionaries for the Xbox brand.

that's it. and that's why we're here because people did not like it and acted in ways they would not have otherwise.

in other words, i highly doubt most of them would've been banned if they weren't riled up by negative comments.
    Last edited by Omar; 07-08-2014 at 20:36.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    oh yeah, we've had that chat a lot here.

i think, in the end, my question changed from what some are doing here to...why are you expecting fairness in a place where majority aren't like you or like what you like. there is going to be unfairness.

you knew that (or should know that and expect it) when you joined up.

if you go too hard on people, they leave..and that's exactly what happened here. many...and i mean, MANY people were banned here that i would consider trollish but if there weren't multiplat discussions here, they wouldn't have trolled. why? because they were mostly PS enthusiasts and they came here because the website is named PS Universe.

now i would consider them real trolls if they went to the Xbox forums (not Xbox section within a PS forum). you can't expect fairness in a place like this.

so what we did was we banned all these people that were keeping this forum alive and now we can't figure out what the problem is. guess what? those people were potential "money" for this site and they lost that opportunity because we banned these people for loving the PS brand too much. how ironic is that?

most of these people were just very enthusiastic, they came here to find like-minded people. that's what everyone came here for. but it was a $#@!ing trap lol.

P.S. no matter how much people want to deny it...most Xbox users that came here had one major purpose (whether that changed later or lessened later): be missionaries for the Xbox brand.

that's it. and that's why we're here because people did not like it and acted in ways they would not have otherwise.

in other words, i highly doubt most of them would've been banned if they weren't riled up by negative comments.
    Exactly. I knew that there would be some trolling because that's typical of any forum. What I didn't realize how many were here! Lol. You hit it right on the nose. I won't name names but there were some guys that have been here for a long time that I never seen say a single positive thing about PS. Any positive news was downplayed and anything negative was hyped to the hills. It was the opposite for anything MS. It's sad that PS fans were banned but the agenda guy doesn't. At least not right away. I'm all for being subjective but when you clearly have an agenda, that's when it is an issue.

Anyway, to stick to the subject. Does any of this even matter? Like it says in the article, it all depends on the developer. We all know the PS4 doesn't have this issue and the X1 issues will be sorted out to an extent.

16. Likes Omar likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I don't have any doubts that the problems the Xbox have had this year is the primary reason for the lack of activity in the xbox section. There just isn't much to brag about anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Captncoke49 View Post
    Anyway, to stick to the subject. Does any of this even matter? Like it says in the article, it all depends on the developer. We all know the PS4 doesn't have this issue and the X1 issues will be sorted out to an extent.
    Pretty much the same as last generation with the Cell processor. It depends on the developer. Problem is that devs are only going to do so much to work out the kinks in complex hardware. We saw that again and again on the PS3.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

18. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim

always so sour.

EDIT (let me elaborate):
    They left because they no longer had a leg to stand on - to naysay and spray negativity. Did they receive some in return? sure. Was all of it justified? Of course not.

But when you base your presence and activity at some place in a manner in the way that is not conducive to an appropriate manner, to understand the context of where you are, then things happen.

Don't play dumb like none of your "beloved's" actions were all saintlike. Let's not play the violin like you seem to have mastered, and act and play victims here.

No one is blameless, yes, there have been bad members on both 'sides'. And at the same time, it's not healthy to place it either. But for the longest time (cue Billy Joel) this place was hard to visit as a playstation fan.

Honestly, they were a leftover from a time when people came in here to solely to "even the odds" or "get one back!" and downplay and $#@! PS gamers off just cos to "balance" it out or whatever. And ave lingered over for too long.

Not ONCE did I ever see the usual suspects ever have BALANCED viewpoint. And now when these things (articles etc) like this are coming out, it's too much to take (of their own medicine) for some.

Please, drop the "save the children" attitude. No offense, but honestly man, thought you were smarter than that...

EDIT2:
    Another Cuguy "hit and run" comment?
    Last edited by Admartian; 07-09-2014 at 00:59.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

20. Likes Kauldron, Captncoke49 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    This year reminds me of the revolution ms fan tried years ago. I wish I could find that thread. It was pathetic and funny. It was the year that there wasn't anything they could hold over sony fans.

They'll be back.

edit: found it. Classic thread lol.

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...e-of-the-forum
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 07-09-2014 at 01:36.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    This year reminds me of the revolution ms fan tried years ago. I wish I could find that thread. It was pathetic and funny. It was the year that there wasn't anything they could hold over sony fans.

They'll be back.
    Let's hope they come back as humans and adults willing to just converse and kick the $#@!, you know? Honestly I mean that sincerely.

Because those guys that I saw, where only ever here to put a $#@!ing damper on things. I LOVE playstation, that's what I've grown up and loves, and all I own and play (when not in Football Manager...) these days. But man I have NOTHING ILL willed towards any of the other companies or consoles - not personally and to the point where we've seen from them.

You wouldn't say the same, based o ACTIONS and POSTS with "those guys".

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Let's hope they come back as humans and adults willing to just converse and kick the $#@!, you know? Honestly I mean that sincerely.

Because those guys that I saw, where only ever here to put a $#@!ing damper on things. I LOVE playstation, that's what I've grown up and loves, and all I own and play (when not in Football Manager...) these days. But man I have NOTHING ILL willed towards any of the other companies or consoles - not personally and to the point where we've seen from them.

You wouldn't say the same, based o ACTIONS and POSTS with "those guys".
    You(or anyone that can answer this) don't have to name the forum but are there any dedicated xbox forums around? I recall a major one being shut down. I think psu is the most tolerant forum around when it comes to giving people chances.

And not to just put all the blame on MS's rough start(the xbone is still the 2nd fastest selling console in history) but current gen has been off to a slow start. I think most gamers are waiting to be blown away by a new i.p in the manner of how Gears/uncharted kick things off in year 1 for the 360/ps3. Current gen's year 1 has failed to deliver on that.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Honestly, I can't even think of more than 3 or 4 dedicate/predominantly gaming forums out there.

Elite Member
    I quit posting here for the very reason that many of you are talking about. When the xbox had a leg up on the PS3 there was practically no way for us PS3 fans to discuss anything positive without being laughed at ripped apart. I was blasted numerous times on here and sent many reports and messages to mods to see nothing more then a tap on the wrist. Then I defend myself and I get a stern warning about starting a war. Give me a break. I backed out and simply read from a far at that point. I mean seriously, look at my signature...its been a while since its been updated. (Old Winnpeg Jets Logo and still hoping for their return to the NHL lol)

Now the shoe is on the other foot and the xbots (are we allowed to say that now?) have run for cover and hiding in their basements. Its probably not fun for them either, but I say if you cant take it, don't give it. I wasn't allowed to give it so I simply walked away, even if the "facts" being spewed were so far outside of true facts. Guess when you don't have any "facts" to pretend to stand on this time, it makes it harder to fight back. I say good riddance. Their true colors came out and the fanboy (are we allowed to say that now?) in them bled green in Microsofts epic fall from almost number 1.

Sadly, they will be back. That first bit of good news going xboxone way and they will spread up like wild weeds that you just can't kill. Maybe this time we can defend ourselves. Honestly, I don't even know if I will post again after this. Its been fun just watching from a far.
    Last edited by xBSGeorge; 07-09-2014 at 01:42.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Honestly, I can't even think of more than 3 or 4 dedicate/predominantly gaming forums out there.
    Which further leads me to believe they'll come back. Trolling is either worse elsewhere or they're handing out bans with no warnings or questions to be asked.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by xBSGeorge View Post
    I quit posting here for the very reason that many of you are talking about. When the xbox had a leg up on the PS3 there was practically no way for us PS3 fans to discuss anything positive without being laughed at ripped apart. I was blasted numerous times on here and sent many reports and messages to mods to see nothing more then a tap on the wrist. Then I defend myself and I get a stern warning about starting a war. Give me a break. I backed out and simply read from a far at that point. I mean seriously, look at my signature...its been a while since its been updated. (Old Winnpeg Jets Logo and still hoping for their return to the NHL lol)

Now the shoe is on the other foot and the xbots (are we allowed to say that now?) have run for cover and hiding in their basements. Its probably not fun for them either, but I say if you cant take it, don't give it. I wasn't allowed to give it so I simply walked away, even if the "facts" being spewed were so far outside of true facts. Guess when you don't have any "facts" to pretend to stand on this time, it makes it harder to fight back. I say good riddance. Their true colors came out and the fanboy (are we allowed to say that now?) in them bled green in Microsofts epic fall from almost number 1.

Sadly, they will be back. That first bit of good news going xboxone way and they will spread up like wild weeds that you just can't kill. Maybe this time we can defend ourselves. Honestly, I don't even know if I will post again after this. Its been fun just watching from a far.
    Great and simple advice - I often wondered why some just didn't do this - instead of just saying "oh I'm not a fan of Sony which is why I'm saying this" - on a Sony-based site no less...

Honestly, like I said, if they can back as adults, I'd be all for it. But we've seen time again some people can't stay away from "getting one back". We've had numerous times of giving guys chances, so not sure what Cuguy was on about.

Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Which further leads me to believe they'll come back. Trolling is either worse elsewhere or they're handing out bans with no warnings or questions to be asked.
    My biggest advice is ignoring someone instead of falling for their trolls. I'd rather kill the rats, so to speak, but yeah. let's not give people more ammo to harp on or whine and cry about.

Let's be better/bigger people. If the trolls want to come back and 'get even'.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    In other news...the sky is blue!..this is common sense to anyone that has paid attention, or has a clue as to what they are talking about...no matter how hard MS or their fanboys tried to convince people otherwise...

Oh please, sounds like sour grapes because you're not allowed to swing your ban hammer at anyone who stands up to you and sees through your attempts to hide your pro-Xbox agenda and protect the members that agree with you..

The reason places like NeoGAF survive as multiplatform forums, without even the need to separate forums is simple...

- the forums are not moderated by biased, hypocritical, agenda pushing staff hell bent on snuffing out their opposition...that allow obvious trolling of one platform over another

- REAL multiplatform discussion is allowed AND encouraged..with the understanding that trolling, console wars, and heated discussion is inevitable...

Frankly the (overly) strict moderation on these forums has, in the past, caused more problems then it solves...

There was a time on these forums back at the beginning of last gen that a PlayStation supporter could barely even POST here without being constantly bashed and trolled..

As the tide of last gen slowly turned there were many that couldn't handle this..as PlayStation fans began to have a leg to stand on and started to "return the favor" so to speak, they were accused of being trolls and "ganging up on" or "attacking" other members...

When in reality it was specific staff protecting specific members from the same type of behavior they themselves had previously displayed

Now that Sony has clearly put their console in a position of strength relative to the Xbox I see no difference in the way PlayStation fans are acting now, then the way Xbox fans were acting in 2006/2007...

However, this being a PlayStation forum..the Xbox fans will always be outnumbered..and because it is the Sony fans that have positive things to scream about, it of course has driven many of the Xbox fans away...

Its fun to be the small group of "away" fans cheering like lunatics when your team is winning in the other guys house...but it's no fun to be at the other teams stadium when you're getting pummeled on the scoreboard...

Of course certain people will likely not post here, but anyone that was on these forums years ago knows all to well what I'm talking about, who was involved, and what it was like here...
    Last edited by Metfanant; 07-09-2014 at 02:55.
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

29. Likes Captncoke49, Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

Keep telling yourself that.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Keep telling yourself that.

I don't have to... was here plenty of years to see what goes on, most of it on staff. I know the patterns and can see what is going on.

Yep, the X1 had a rough launch, and MS was stupid in a lot of things.. but none of that accounts for the lack of moderation and allowing of trolling to occur in here.

Just creates a perfect storm. No modding, bad news prevails, = plenty of troll feed.
    LMAO

Thread Information