Forum Elder

Resolutiongate a 'perception challenge' that must be fixed, says Xbox exec...

One of the key Xbox One executives in the UK believes the company needs to overcome the perception that Sony's PS4 displays certain games at superior resolutions and frame rates.

Xbox UK marketing boss Harvey Eagle told CVG that, while he doesn't personally see a meaningful graphical difference between PS4 games and their Xbox One equivalents, he does understand the negative publicity has become an issue.
    "I think it's a perception challenge, absolutely," Eagle told CVG.

"If you put third-party games side-by-side that are running at slightly different resolutions or frame rates, then unless you are using a screen that's more than 60 inches big, I defy you to really see the difference. I personally struggle to see the difference."

Nevertheless, Eagle believes the Xbox One team needs to overcome the challenge, adding that an updated console operating system will give developers more GPU resources.

"It's important, certainly. It's something the media has certainly picked up on. If that leads to the perception that one machine is more powerful than another, then it's important, and we're trying to allow developers to bring games to Xbox One at the highest resolution and frame rate as possible."

"There is some GPU power that can be allocated to Kinect that we're now freeing up for developers if they want to increase the fidelity of their games. I want to point out though that this is absolutely up to the developer on how they deploy the power."

PlayStation 4 versions of next generation games occasionally run at a higher resolution, and smoother frame-rate, than the Xbox One equivalent. Games already shown to be superior on PS4 include Call of Duty Ghosts, Diablo 3, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Thief, Metro Redux and Metal Gear Ground Zeroes.

It is expected that, as time goes on and developers find more ways to save hardware resources, the differences between Xbox One and PS4 versions of multiplatform games will narrow.

In June, Microsoft outlined how a new Xbox One developer kit (XDK) will give game creators access to additional system resources that were previously allocated to Kinect. About ten per cent of each system's GPU is reserved for Kinect, which now can be turned off to reduce overhead.

With Xbox One evolving into a system that appears even more similar to PS4, Eagle was asked how Microsoft will make its new system stand out.

"Content is one of the primary ways we differentiate the two consoles," he said.

"We have our exclusive games, the likes of Sunset Overdrive, Ori and the Blind Forest [also available on PC], Halo Master Chief Collection and so on.

"The next thing you have to do is make sure all the third parties are partnering on your platform, and try if you can to either make those exclusive to Xbox or coming first to Xbox.

"Then you try to build out the broadest range of games to the widest number of people, which is where ID@Xbox can really help in particular.

"I would say there's still some differences in the hardware offering. I think Kinect is still something that stands out, some of the voice control components and some of the broadcasting capabilities such as Twitch are different and deeper on Xbox One than other platforms because of Kinect.

"I would argue that our Xbox Live service is a major differentiator. We believe it's the best place to play games with your friends, and I would argue it still is today."

In May, Microsoft announced it had dropped Kinect as a mandatory Xbox accessory, though the corporation will still sell the divisive 3D camera separately.

"Standalone Kinect will be out before Christmas, but we aren't yet ready to announce price or release date details," Eagle said.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ays-xbox-exec/

Veteran
    "It's important, certainly. It's something the media has certainly picked up on. If that leads to the perception that one machine is more powerful then the other, then thats important, and were trying to allow developers to bring games to the Xbox One at the highest resolution and frame rate as possible."

But... One IS more powerfull then the other. Its not just a perception that it is. This has been known since they both released their specs. XD

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

3. Likes John Willaford, Christopher , Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

dat perception.

pretty sure their brand would be doing better if it wasn't (apparently) being run by a bunch of idiots and monkeys.

Veteran
    What they need to do is shut up, stop bringing attention to their competitor, make great games, help 3rd party devs thats are having issues optimizing for their system and let the games speak for themselves.

6. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
    Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    What they need to do is shut up, stop bringing attention to their competitor, make great games, help 3rd party devs thats are having issues optimizing for their system and let the games speak for themselves.

that's the problem lol.

Finally You Are Free
    I'm so tired of the word play defending the Xbox One's hardware.

Master Sage
    Is that Forza 5 or horizon?

Veteran
    Horizon 2 if you go by the logo in the one gif.

Superior Member

typical MS attitude. That their customer is dumb enough to buy their crap.

Yes. no one can tell resolution. Thats why people bought 1080P TVs. And no one knows about power gap.

It is insult to their customer's intelligence. Do they honestly think their consumer base is that dumb?

I thought he said he will take MS to different direction.... I see the samething.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post

It is insult to their customer's intelligence.
    No no, it's a perception

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I'm glad they're against the ropes. I hope they stay there too.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Horizon 2 if you go by the logo in the one gif.

ahh, didn't even noticed that. Ta

Dedicated Member
    I perceive... The TRUTH!
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    Thats why people bought 1080P TVs. And no one knows about power gap.
    he's not talking about power gap, he's talking about not being able to see any real difference between 2 resolutions on a certain size TV.

i own both systems and there run through a 47" TV with no real visual difference between the games i can see. although i do buy all multi-plats on PS4 because the likes of DF say they look better.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    he's not talking about power gap, he's talking about not being able to see any real difference between 2 resolutions on a certain size TV.

i own both systems and there run through a 47" TV with no real visual difference between the games i can see. although i do buy all multi-plats on PS4 because the likes of DF say they look better.
    you may not see it, that's correct. that's what MS is going for but the problem is bigger than that. the resolution difference is the least of X1's worries. generally it's more than just the resolution. and in rare cases it has shown 1/2 the resolution.

that should be very apparent. but i can even see people not noticing that.

but that's bull$#@! when an official says that. because the difference is there, it doesn't matter if he perceives it or not, it's there. he's right that it's more apparent as you go bigger in TV size but unless you sit on your couch to play games (which i don't), you should see the difference even if it's about 500k pixels more...even at 32" size.

i mentioned a long time ago that what MS is clinging on to, by giving a shoddy hardware) is that people won't care about the differences because it's difficult to see for...say, the COD crowd.

the problem is that they're not selling to the COD crowd yet. they are selling to the hardcore crowd and they do care.

i mentioned that this was their biggest hurdle. can they have enough momentum until it sells to the masses?

18. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post

Thread Information