Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

What will be MS' next move to gain momentum?

what do you think will be Microsoft's next move to gain momentum if tomorrow's sales report (or whatever is coming out) is less than desirable?

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    What can they do? They have basically 0 advantages over the PS4 and thats counting Kinect, HDMI-in and Snap, none of which matters to gamers and never has.

PS4 has many things going for it right this very moment, almost like stars have aligned.
    - Better featured system with quicker load times and better graphics.
    - Better featured controller.
    - Share button (Video rec. + Pictures via dedicated hardware).
    - Crazy good Gold Wireless headset accessory.
    - Morpheus in the works with 1:1 hand controllers and head tracking (Better than Oculus in some aspects).
    - Its fun to mock Xbox box, they asked for it and give us the material for it.
    Last edited by mickice; 07-16-2014 at 18:01.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    What WILL the do? Nothing, until at least Gamescom in August(?)..and hope that something they show there grabs some momentum...

- By removing Kinect to drop the price they lost really the one thing that set the console apart. They tried so hard during the last third of the 360's life, and the beginning of the Xbone's life to convince everyone that Kinect was the future, and how incredible it was, and how it was going to change gaming...

and then they never gave us the killer app to actually SHOW us why we needed it...

they even went as far this generation as trying to convince us that Kinect HAD to be included, that it was required...only to reverse on that stance as soon as they realized sales were not picking up...this did nothing but doom Kinect to a second tier accessory that devs will no longer make use of because it allows them to use the extra 10% GPU reserve for their games instead...

- MS has botched this generation from the get go...at least last generation Sony could talk about Bluray...at least we knew the PS3 actually was a powerful machine that was just bananas complicated...and Sony had an EXTENSIVE lineup of first party studios making games for them...MS relied far too heavily on exclusive third party deals...and those become a tougher sell when the developer knows that the other console is selling better and they could have better sales for their software...

what MS needs to do is frankly, shut up...they know, Sony knows, we know, everyone knows that the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbone...and nothing is going to change that...not GPU reserves, not DX12, not anything...but their console is capable of great looking games (Ryse)...and great games (Forza 5)...

they need to learn to let their exclusive content do the talking...they cant rely on the "dudebro" shooter/sports game crowd flocking to their console because its the best console to play those games anymore (because its not)...

they need to drop the price (of both skus) and invest in first party studios...its the exact same formula Sony used last generation...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Free Brazzers pass to XBL subs.
    I am the oncoming storm.

5. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
    Master Sage
    If they were smart they would invest in a new AAA studio and start focusing on games.... if they were smart.

Didn't they say they had something like a billion dollars to spend on games?
    They may have spent 100 million at the absolute max so far.

Get them trucks loaded up and buy or make new dev teams, it is the only way they'll start getting taken seriously.
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 07-16-2014 at 23:56.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    If they were super smart, they'd release every Xbox One game at 720p a usable resolution and work on pairing it with some good AA and have games running and looking better in the process.

I know 720 is like last gen old and crappy, but instead of being pig headed and trying to force 1080p at the expense of frame rate and graphics, they should stop playing a 1:1 numbers game with the PS4 and play to its strengths.

Hell, my TV is only 720.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    This is no lie. Well, the diehard fans tell us everything.

MS sold at least 150k in june. Still wasn't the number 1 selling console. And that's with people not buying in May just to wait for the June price cut. There's nothing they can do but hope that they can get there hardware small enough that they can reduce the price ahead of the ps4. It's going to get to a point where it's too late to turn the momentum around.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 07-17-2014 at 03:52.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Honestly the only thing they can do imo is focus on getting games out now imo. Unless they are working on some revolutionary tech to go along with it, which I don't see. You made your bed, just try your hardest to make it more appealing than the other guys. Not much else can be done at this point than focus on games. It's still early. No reason to roll over which they won't do. Games played a pivotal point last gen don't see why that won't help this gen.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

10. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Just some more exclusive deals. Well the only place they can have a chance is the US. PS4 was just a better machine overall. MS needs to produce a technical milestone that can surprise people. People are starting to see the strategy's they were using in the 360 era.
    Playing - Legend of Heroes:Trails Of The Sky (Steam),Persona 4 Golden,Ys Memories Of Celceta
    Awaiting - Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Ys
    Next, Tales of Zestiria, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

Banned

Just listen to the customer.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Microsoft needs to get games out there matching the resolution of the PS4. Right now that is the main focus of discussion when comparing the two systems.

And they need to find an IP besides Halo, that really reaches out to the gamers. Sony has so many unique IP's. Thankfully the XB1 has Sunset Overdrive coming out.
    Last edited by Lethal; 07-21-2014 at 04:57.

Forum Overseer
    they aren't going to be able to match the resolution and if it's not the resolution, it would be the fps. if it's not that, it will still be smaller details/effects that may be missing.

i think they should just focus on games for now and then focus on other stuff later. sony made the same mistake last gen when it thought about the format war and their proprietary CPU first.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    They need compelling games! Hardware alone will only take you so far, they've lost that end too...$#@!, conviction made me buy an elite last gen and that was a third party exclusive. They just need to go balls out with the gaming content they will be putting out for the foreseeable future. As it stands now, for me I am not looking at one at all even if the price was right. They haven't released that it game that will separate it from the ps4.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    If you believe the hype sunset overdrive is the new savior of Xbone(previously Titanfall), and when that dosent push then it will be quantem break, then Halo 5, then Gears of War 4, and so on and so on
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    If you believe the hype sunset overdrive is the new savior of Xbone(previously Titanfall), and when that dosent push then it will be quantem break, then Halo 5, then Gears of War 4, and so on and so on
    Honestly Halo is going to be the only one to move consoles pretty heavily. Titanfall isn't even in the same league as Halo when it comes to hype. They are going to receive a big chunk of sales from that alone imo.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Honestly Halo is going to be the only one to move consoles pretty heavily. Titanfall isn't even in the same league as Halo when it comes to hype. They are going to receive a big chunk of sales from that alone imo.
    Yep Halo is the only game left that could possibly help Xbox gain momentum if it doesn't happen then I would not be surprised if MS called the time of death.

Forum Overseer
    i was just thinking that if this thread was a movie, we'd have completely overrun the boundaries of how many times we can say the name of that movie in the movie.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    I actually think Sunset Overdrive will give them a slight uptick in sales. It may not be a full momentum changer but at this point anything helps. Insomniac's games last gen weren't really system sellers but they do have that special charm that gamers like myself have enjoyed.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Captncoke49 View Post
    I actually think Sunset Overdrive will give them a slight uptick in sales. It may not be a full momentum changer but at this point anything helps. Insomniac's games last gen weren't really system sellers but they do have that special charm that gamers like myself have enjoyed.
    It's definitely a breath of fresh air for the Xbox for sure outside of all the staple franchises. Definitely looks like a cool game.

22. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    I think the problem is that the typical XBOX owner is more of a gruff american hell yeah type that plays primarily shooters, conditioned as so by the success of the XB360.
    The early days of the XB were a haven for SEGA to move it's Dreamcast 2 properties to the XBO (Yes, the Dreamcast 2 was essentially the original XBOX, people can give up ever seeing a DC2, lol).

But, look at it this way.
    JetSetRadio hasn't had another sequel since, the Panzer Dragoon styled game Crimson Dragon came and was blown off on XBO, SEGA didn't exactly bring Shenmu3 out with the system, and I haven't seen much sell on it since the last shooter.

So, I think Sunset Overdrive could get left on the shelves by XBO gamers. If not, then the platform has a shot at some original game enjoyment. Yet, Microsoft's new ads this week are: HALO, we have HALO COMING!!!!! And other shooters... the ONLY in game footage in the commercial ironically IS SUNSET OVERDRIVE!!!

That is their next move to gain momentum::: commercials with little real gameplay footage that say HALO! pretty much like I figured.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    If they were smart they would invest in a new AAA studio and start focusing on games.... if they were smart.

Didn't they say they had something like a billion dollars to spend on games?
    They may have spent 100 million at the absolute max so far.

Get them trucks loaded up and buy or make new dev teams, it is the only way they'll start getting taken seriously.
    The irony is they just closed a studio and laid off 18,000 people last week. Not the time for this, but, SONY did something like that 3 months ago too
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I think they will buy Sony
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Forum Overseer
    what's interesting to me is what MS' first party is doing. there's almost no word on anything yet. and they were formed about 2-3 years from now. and most of them (especially new studios) haven't put anything out since then. so what are they doing? they're hired right? they get paid? for doing what?

i understand that both consoles were rushed and E3 proved that both publishers/makers weren't ready but Sony still is slightly more ready but still not by far. i mean, Sony may have more things announced and that means at least they're somewhat confident...although some of these titles are very far off but they seem likely they will be out at some point. like EverQuest Next...who knows "when" it will be out...might even get delayed to 2016 but the point is, it's in development.

while sony's first party may have put out more titles than MS, it's still somewhat slow compared to the PS3 (in the beginning).

so i guess next E3 will be the real one that we thought this year's was. it will be interesting to see what MS has up their sleeves and why they won't reveal it after so long into the generation.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    There's not much they can do unless they go buying 3rd party titles. MS's future forecast is pretty damn cloudy to me.

-Turn 10 isn't going to do anything outside of forza. Expect Forza 6 to be demoed

-343 is the size of a 3rd party studio. If they happened to be working on 2 titles then they aren't going to say a thing. Next year is Halo's year for MS.

-Lionhead is doing the fable game

-Rare is somewhere trying to get kinect removed from their ass. It was rammed in with no kind of lube. Nothing they produce outside of kinect is going to sell. So they're scratching their heads. Banjo/perfect dark nor kameo will sell. They aren't even going to touch conker. They told the fans to make their own conker game

-Blacktusk is now a Gears of war studio. Incapable of creating a new i.p because they cancelled their splinter cell-like game they revealed at e3 13'.

-Big 3rd party companies are likely not going to do any exclusive deals. It's stupid to do so. It doesn't make sense being that Sony is kicking MS ass right now.

Crackdown and phantom dust isn't going to move consoles. Crackdown 2 flopped. Nobody asked for phantom dust to be brought back. And why would I believe MS is capable of producing a new i.p that will find a big fanbase? They haven't done that since the og xbox.

edit:MS $#@!ed up bad letting Bungie go. They should have given them creative freedom and Destiny would have been another huge title for the xbox brand.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 07-23-2014 at 00:03.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    There's not much they can do unless they go buying 3rd party titles. MS's future forecast is pretty damn cloudy to me.

-Turn 10 isn't going to do anything outside of forza. Expect Forza 6 to be demoed

-343 is the size of a 3rd party studio. If they happened to be working on 2 titles then they aren't going to say a thing. Next year is Halo's year for MS.

-Lionhead is doing the fable game

-Rare is somewhere trying to get kinect removed from their ass. It was rammed in with no kind of lube. Nothing they produce outside of kinect is going to sell. So they're scratching their heads. Banjo/perfect dark nor kameo will sell. They aren't even going to touch conker. They told the fans to make their own conker game

-Blacktusk is now a Gears of war studio. Incapable of creating a new i.p because they cancelled their splinter cell-like game they revealed at e3 13'.

-Big 3rd party companies are likely not going to do any exclusive deals. It's stupid to do so. It doesn't make sense being that Sony is kicking MS ass right now.

Crackdown and phantom dust isn't going to move consoles. Crackdown 2 flopped. Nobody asked for phantom dust to be brought back. And why would I believe MS is capable of producing a new i.p that will find a big fanbase? They haven't done that since the og xbox.

edit:MS $#@!ed up bad letting Bungie go. They should have given them creative freedom and Destiny would have been another huge title for the xbox brand.
    sort of difficult to argue those points because i don't own an Xbox but it seems like some of the information you've posted doesn't add up.

1) why do you feel that nothing Rare makes outside of Kinect will sell? e.g. banjo/PD or kameo? sure you can say that maybe they won't come out with sequels of those games but you're saying that if they do, they won't sell? on what basis? for me, i have a hard time believing they would be working on it in the first place.

2) yes, we're not going to see insane 3rd party deals anymore but they'll still be there and might even be more than last time (especially for MS) because it's very apparent that they just want the third party to develop exclusively for them.

3) too early to say anything about Crackdown...it's a new generation, things always change when there's a new generation.

4) about bungie i agree, destiny would've been a system seller if it were an exclusive. now, not so much.

Thread Information