Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
Results 26 to 40 of 40
  1. #26
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,685
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,605 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    lol if you think it's not bloated then you are only forcing me to assume that you may be a novice user.

  2. #27
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,039
    Rep Power
    114
    Points
    44,685 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    No need for a competent OS to require hacks to make the interface usable.
    You don't need to "hack" the OS to make it usable. You do that if you want to take the easiest way out. i.e. you don't want to take a small amount of time to learn/adjust to the changes.

    Also, did you seriously edit my post? That was just about the most benign comment possible. Make no mistake, if somebody makes a claim without evidence to back it up, I will call them out on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    lol if you think it's not bloated then you are only forcing me to assume that you may be a novice user.
    Dude stop.

    It is quite obvious from this thread (http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...a-new-PC-build), you are out of touch with the pc world.

  3. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
  4. #28
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,701
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    74,119 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    You don't need to "hack" the OS to make it usable. You do that if you want to take the easiest way out. i.e. you don't want to take a small amount of time to learn/adjust to the changes.
    yeah.....easy way out. I don't want to have to figure out how to use a keyboard and mouse for an interface designed for a tablet.

    Also, did you seriously edit my post? That was just about the most benign comment possible. Make no mistake, if somebody makes a claim without evidence to back it up, I will call them out on it.
    pfft. you've reported posts that were more benign than that. Not up for discussion. Back on topic.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  5. #29
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,971
    Rep Power
    61
    Points
    28,649 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    pfft. you've reported posts that were more benign than that. Not up for discussion. Back on topic.
    I'd assume that you as part of the PSU staff should be keeping confidences and not be mentioning anyone who has reported another.

  6. #30
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,039
    Rep Power
    114
    Points
    44,685 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    yeah.....easy way out. I don't want to have to figure out how to use a keyboard and mouse for an interface designed for a tablet.
    Ok. But then you complain about a ~5 minute 3rd party fix? Last I checked MS wasn't forcing you to use windows 8, windows 7 still works.



    pfft. you've reported posts that were more benign than that. Not up for discussion. Back on topic.
    Typically from members who have a history of taking pot shots, which is a significant difference.

  7. #31
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,685
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,605 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Dude stop.

    It is quite obvious from this thread (http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...a-new-PC-build), you are out of touch with the pc world.
    ok, so why not reply in that thread and correct where i'm wrong. have you ever looked at the services Windows provides? you're rebutting me without evidence. if you think i'm wrong, show me your supportive argument...other than ad hominem attacks.

  8. #32
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,701
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    74,119 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Ok. But then you complain about a ~5 minute 3rd party fix? Last I checked MS wasn't forcing you to use windows 8, windows 7 still works.

    And hopefully they will fix stuff in Windows 9 because folks complained enough about Windows 8. Otherwise, this might as well be the new Windows logo...

    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  9. #33
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,039
    Rep Power
    114
    Points
    44,685 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    ok, so why not reply in that thread and correct where i'm wrong. have you ever looked at the services Windows provides? you're rebutting me without evidence. if you think i'm wrong, show me your supportive argument...other than ad hominem attacks.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...windows-8.aspx

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...tyle-apps.aspx

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...windows-8.aspx

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...er-before.aspx


    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    And hopefully they will fix stuff in Windows 9 because folks complained enough about Windows 8. Otherwise, this might as well be the new Windows logo...

    Its already been confirmed.

    http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/557...top-experience

  10. #34
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,685
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,605 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't see how PR statements from MS proves your point. are you saying that i can reduce the RAM usage? you think i haven't done that to the max? which you know, is silly to presume that everyone should have knowledge to do so but even if you're talking about reducing the footprint, it's still about 10-20 times more than what Linux needs (30-100 vs 1GB-2GB at boot) and Linux provides roughly 90% of what the general users would need whereas roughly 90% of what Windows provides isn’t needed by the general user.

    but i already mentioned the issues with Linux, that it doesn't have app support that Windows has. it also isn't user friendly at all but that has nothing to do with my statement. Windows are a bloated piece of crap OSs.

    Now if Windows was even remotely modular then I would give it a thumbs up but other than turning down the services, there’s not much you can do to keep the footprint down.

    If you spend a bit of time (weeks/months) with dozens of Linux builds, understand what Linux is about, understand its pros and cons, you will see how badly allocated Windows resources are and the only way they get away with it is because they have a monopoly on it. if linux today had the same support from developers windows does…or even 10% of it, I would never come back to Windows, ever.

  11. Likes Christopher likes this post
  12. #35
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,082
    Rep Power
    21
    Points
    424,879 (0 Banked)
    Windows 7 and the XBOX 360 are the greatest products ever to come out of Microsoft. That's currently their problem too.
    Zune may have been underrated as well, at least the last one. And that Zune like phone was killed way too soon.

    Edit: I had to look it up, I meant the Microsoft KIN. Danger had alot of talent.
    Also, a ZUNE Phone would have been killer.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 07-19-2014 at 07:01.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

  13. #36
    Banned

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    930
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    11,608 (0 Banked)
    It's not nice to be on the receiving end of a layoff (I've had a couple in my lifetime), but I think this was needed. I always thought Microsoft has been bloated for years. At least that has long been my opinion. The last 7 years has proven this out at a lot of companies. Middle management has been the group most decimated by the recession. It's where the most fat is. They need to go. It's a business, not a charity.

  14. #37
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,039
    Rep Power
    114
    Points
    44,685 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    I don't see how PR statements from MS proves your point. are you saying that i can reduce the RAM usage? you think i haven't done that to the max? which you know, is silly to presume that everyone should have knowledge to do so but even if you're talking about reducing the footprint, it's still about 10-20 times more than what Linux needs (30-100 vs 1GB-2GB at boot) and Linux provides roughly 90% of what the general users would need whereas roughly 90% of what Windows provides isn’t needed by the general user.

    but i already mentioned the issues with Linux, that it doesn't have app support that Windows has. it also isn't user friendly at all but that has nothing to do with my statement. Windows are a bloated piece of crap OSs.

    Now if Windows was even remotely modular then I would give it a thumbs up but other than turning down the services, there’s not much you can do to keep the footprint down.

    If you spend a bit of time (weeks/months) with dozens of Linux builds, understand what Linux is about, understand its pros and cons, you will see how badly allocated Windows resources are and the only way they get away with it is because they have a monopoly on it. if linux today had the same support from developers windows does…or even 10% of it, I would never come back to Windows, ever.
    Don't insult me by asking for links and not taking the time to read them. Because those are anything but "PR" statements. It's a development blog, no need for pr.

    I have no idea what kind of messed up install you are using if you are seeing 1-2GB of ram usage with nothing going on.

    In the first link they show Win7 vs Win8 using minimum resources, from 404mb to 281 mb. Even if you tripled that number for W8, you would still be well under 1GB.

    You can make comparison to linux as much as you want, but nothing provides the capability of windows with it's performance, no matter if it is a free or paid OS.

    And Windows 8 is the most efficient version of windows that microsoft has made yet.

    And if you need even more evidence, here you go:

    Consumer preview performance:

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5630/i...mer-preview/16

  15. #38
    Master Sage
    Bitbydeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,486
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    47,378 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    And hopefully they will fix stuff in Windows 9 because folks complained enough about Windows 8. Otherwise, this might as well be the new Windows logo...

    Windows 8 is said to be receiving its last update this year so given support is being dropped so fast means 9 should have some radical changes made to it.

  16. #39
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,685
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,605 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Don't insult me by asking for links and not taking the time to read them. Because those are anything but "PR" statements. It's a development blog, no need for pr.
    trust me, it's PR. all that $#@! they're talking about how they're trying to do this and that. none of that $#@! matters when it still chugs along and is not even nearly the fastest OS out there.

    I have no idea what kind of messed up install you are using if you are seeing 1-2GB of ram usage with nothing going on.
    lol you're kidding me. read your own link, they clearly say that it varies on different platforms. i'd think that they possibly downgrade some of their services that otherwise would be full on computers with higher RAM, i can't confirm, i haven't tried it myself. but i have had Windows 8 on a two other computers (one had 1GB RAM, other had 2GB) and it was slow as $#@!.

    i'd love for you to show me something that is less than that at boot on a regular computer.

    In the first link they show Win7 vs Win8 using minimum resources, from 404mb to 281 mb. Even if you tripled that number for W8, you would still be well under 1GB.
    281MB? what lol. you will believe everything you read on a MS website. ok, again, show me how this is possible. i'm not the only one doubting this, read the rest of that page.

    in the anandtech review, "...computers with 2GB and 8GB of RAM would have a higher base memory usage than a machine with 1GB of RAM shouldn't be surprising." and there's no way to change that. it says likely due to caching and preloading. maybe you should read things you link to, carefully. or maybe you didn't understand what they said?

    You can make comparison to linux as much as you want, but nothing provides the capability of windows with it's performance, no matter if it is a free or paid OS.
    wrong word buddy. not performance, support. not performance, not by a long shot.

    And Windows 8 is the most efficient version of windows that microsoft has made yet.
    if XP had the support, it would still be the faster windows. i still use XP on my older computer.

    And if you need even more evidence, here you go:

    Consumer preview performance:

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5630/i...mer-preview/16
    "Microsoft claimed that Windows 8 featured improved boot times, and that claim is definitely true—boot times vs. Windows 7 are down across the board. These reductions are due to some architectural changes that Microsoft has made—a Windows 7 shutdown would completely purge the OS and all running programs and user sessions from memory and then re-load a fresh copy at next boot. Windows 8 unloads the user session and running programs from memory, but saves the core OS to disk from RAM as it would do if the OS were hibernating. The result is a much faster startup time all around, even on mechanical HDDs. If, for whatever reason, your system doesn’t support hibernation (or if you’ve turned it off), these boot time advantages will evaporate."

    yeah, it's not magic, it's similar to hibernation. i already use hibernation on my XP, i would not notice any difference.

    too bad these comparisons don't compare XP because it would beat them all.

    in addition, i'd also like to see how the lowly netbooks perform in a normal setting with 1GB and Windows 8. then i'll show you how the same netbook performs with Debian JWM desktop @40MB boot.

  17. #40
    Apprentice
    Julz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    2,396 (0 Banked)
    All this OS talk has me remembering the first time i used my surface rt [t'was a gift, i would never pay for such rubbish, galaxy tab all the way]. Mofo wont even let me install a different browser. Who the $#@! wants to use internet explorer in this day and age?

    The OS was so restricted and oppressive, eugh.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.