Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Xbox One Sales More Than Double in June with New $399 Option and Unveiling of Holiday

http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/xbox-on...double-in-june

Over the past month, we’ve seen a strong spike in interest in our Xbox One console options, including the new $399 offering, and the amazing lineup of games announced during E3. Since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th, we’ve seen sales of Xbox One more than double* in the US, compared to sales in May, and solid growth in Xbox 360 sales.

We’re excited to welcome so many fans to Xbox this summer and we can’t wait for them to get their hands on the wide selection of new games available this year on Xbox One, including
    Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, and Ori and the Blind Forest. Xbox One is the only place you can play these games along with creative independent titles and blockbusters such as Assassin’s Creed Unity,Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Destiny, Evolve, Grand Theft Auto V, and dozens more. We’re honored that Xbox One was awarded with the best games line-up of 2014 by game critics at E3 and our fans have a lot of amazing new games to look forward to in the coming months.

Starting in August with the release of
    Madden NFL 15, new blockbuster hits will launch for Xbox One at an incredible pace throughout the fall, as we head into the holiday season. Gamers love the holidays and we are lining up incredible deals and special promotions to celebrate. The fun is just getting started and we can’t wait to share more exciting news soon.

*- Internal data based on retail calendar and sold through numbers
    More than double? Sold approx. 77k last month so 155-160k?

edit: "based on retail calendar". What does that mean?
    Last edited by Christopher; 07-17-2014 at 01:26.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    dont know what "retail calendar" means there...but what this Press Release means is that they still got outsold by the PS4...because after 6(?) months of being beaten in NPD's...they would be shouting it from the rooftops if they were the #1 hardware

"double the sales" sounds nice when you first hear it...but when you realize last month was only ~77k because everyone knew about the price drop coming...AND June NPD's cover an extra week?...

it starts to lose its luster a bit..

certainly its POSSIBLE the PS4 sold less...but...i doubt it
    Last edited by Metfanant; 07-17-2014 at 02:04.
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    hmmm, googled it. Seems to refer to 5 week calendar versus 4. meh......whatever. Touting "internal data" right before NPDs come out isn't a good sign. Guess we will know in a couple of days. I really thought the price drop would have done.....something.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    yes June covers 5 weeks...we will know tomorrow when Sony releases their statement

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    I miss the days of the MS fanboys bringing this kinda news ....

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    lol...there was a time when this thread would already have pages upon pages of replies

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    Scattered like roaches

Pent up demand from may on top of E3's news. Hmm, I don't know if this is good or mehh-ish.

If momentum doesn't continue next month then MS has a huge problem on their hands.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    lol...there was a time when this thread would already have pages upon pages of replies
    It's sad because those guys were here all day when the ps3 was down. Now it's a different story and they suddenly left. I may not prefer xbox but it's a good platform. I don't need to hide behind a fake "I'm a dual console owner" mask. It is what it is. Good riddance I say. To the topic, good for them. Competition is good.

Selected Members Council
    I'd rather see more PlayStation fans than Xbox, really. It's cool when you can just post two 15-second gameplay clips for an exclusive and see nearly 100 posts accumulate.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

10. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Scattered like roaches

Pent up demand from may on top of E3's news. Hmm, I don't know if this is good or mehh-ish.

If momentum doesn't continue next month then MS has a huge problem on their hands.
    April (4 weeks) ~115k
    May (4 weeks) ~77k - everyone knew May would tank because they announced the new sku
    June (5 weeks + $399) ~155k - very much "mehh-ish" if you ask me...

i bet had they not dropped Kinect...May sales would have been higher, June a little lower...but i bet they would have sold about the same...

thats not momentum if you ask me...

12. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Apprentice
    April (4 weeks) ~115k
    May (4 weeks) ~77k - everyone knew May would tank because they announced the new sku
    June (5 weeks + $399) ~155k - very much "mehh-ish" if you ask me...

i bet had they not dropped Kinect...May sales would have been higher, June a little lower...but i bet they would have sold about the same...

thats not momentum if you ask me...
    I agree. I don't see where they gained anything by dropping kinect and the price. Seems like a wash if you ask me

Superior Member

certainly its POSSIBLE the PS4 sold less...but...i doubt it
    Doesn't appear so. I don't see actual numbers listed for the PS4, but according to IGN, PS4 still outsold them

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/17...e-sales-charts

June's sales results are in for the American gaming industry, and PlayStation 4 has once again held onto the crown as the best-selling console in the country.

PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console of the month for the sixth month in a row. Additionally, the PlayStation brand was number one, according to NPD, when you combine PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 (when compared to Xbox One and Xbox 360). Microsoft announced its sales results yesterday, noting that Xbox One sales have doubled month-over-month. However, it wasn't enough for Xbox One to overtake PlayStation 4 in monthly sales.
    In so-called "next generation software sales," PlayStation 4 games outsold Xbox One games for the month. Across all games in the top ten that are available on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, the PS4 iteration sold better. Interestingly, in all games that are available on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, the Xbox 360 SKU sold better.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by P51-SN95 View Post
    Doesn't appear so. I don't see actual numbers listed for the PS4, but according to IGN, PS4 still outsold them

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/17...e-sales-charts
    According NPD numbers say PS4 still beat Xbox One with some margin.

Thats in US... Xbox's best market...

Edit.

[img]http://gamingeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/june-2014-npd-656x195.jpg[/quote]

269 vs 197. Still quite a gap and for a spike. It really is not that great...
    Last edited by AttackTitan; 07-18-2014 at 23:33.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Think MS need to drop the price by another 100 or so, you know, to account for the weaker specs an' $#@!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Yup, but the May sales were barely over half the ones of April. Got to love the PR spin and the lack of logic surrounding the previous month sales (people holding out for the price cut announced nearly a month ahead) the real question here that people ignore is.. How many of those sales are rollover sales from May (people waiting on the announced price cut)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Yup, but the May sales were barely over half the ones of April. Got to love the PR spin and the lack of logic surrounding the previous month sales (people holding out for the price cut announced nearly a month ahead) the real question here that people ignore is.. How many of those sales are rollover sales from May (people waiting on the announced price cut)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah you have to wonder not just from the previous month but from release were just hinging on the price drop to happen to jump. Also carried over with the ones that suddenly decidedto wait a few weeks. This is not a good indicator for a strong boost in sales. The sales should have been much higher. In the long run I could be wrong but it looks like MS may be in trouble without a strong showing in the exclusives category. This needs to be the focus if they want to have a chance of contending. Things might get interesting in fall when halo comes out. Could be that many fans are holding out for the staple franchises that usually sell a boat load.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Banned

The sales numbers don't dampen my fun. I've been having a blast with my Xbox One. And while some Xbox fans may have left, all the bad news in the world ain't gonna scare me away. For me... Xbox is #1, PlayStation #2 and I'm DONE with Nintendo.

If you assume April (115) as a baseline, then take the decrease from that baseline in May (115-77 = 38 ) and add it to baseline (accounting for the pent-up sales from May), you get 153K (115 + 38 ). That would be what you'd expect, if it were only pent-up sales from May. (I'm ignoring the fact that they're different sized months, just for simplicity's sake).

MS's actual number in June was 197, rather than 153. So, there was more than just pent-up May sales going on. However, it wasn't a huge bump beyond that, only about 44K.

July should be interesting. If the number falls back to April levels, that will not be good for MS.
    Last edited by Andy; 07-19-2014 at 15:19.

21. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    No playstation! Don't let them get up!!! OMGz!~

it is not over yet, we still have time, we must create a signature to show support and to win this battle.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    You say that now, but lo and behold, our spitting image of ourselves flaming in comment fields on IGN, N4G.. fb even

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Thread Information