Thread: The Crew - Beta

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92

The Crew - Beta

Anybody here who's got into the Beta of The Crew?
    Received my key yesterday around noon

Can't activate yet though, googling around gave me the reply that it's not activated yet either... Hope they don't activate it right at the start of the 21st so the servers go down when everybody tries to download/connect -.-'
    You'd think they'd be smarter, no? :l

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    X-x-Stallion-x-X
    Items LBP Sephiroth
    Seems codes are working now and the game can be downloaded for those that have one. Not sure if the game works though, my down speeds aren't the greatest so haven't had chance to test run the game yet

Don't go around believing that Great Wizards solve all your problems, because there aren't any and they don't and I should know because I'm not one...

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ooh I would've liked to have tried this.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Played a little bit tonight only the first level are too not really a racing game fan but the game looks massive in scale

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Its a Ubisoft game. $#@! that!

Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Shall be keeping my eye on this thread to see what you guys all think of it!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    NDA has restricted anything to be said about the game in public unfortunately so we can't tell you what it's like.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Its a Ubisoft game. $#@! that!
    Ubisoft have a proven history of quality PC releases.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    I can't get passed the frickin home screen. Press continue and get stuck in a loop with this error.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406197444.959603.jpg

Seems to be all over their forums too.

I've seen afew twitch streams and it looks alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I had this a few times last night but it sorts itself out after a while. It is beta don't forget and they are trying to see how the bandwidth would work out. Also in the NDA they agreed to forbids streaming of any kind.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I had this a few times last night but it sorts itself out after a while. It is beta don't forget and they are trying to see how the bandwidth would work out. Also in the NDA they agreed to forbids streaming of any kind.
    That's strange because ubi are even re tweeting peoples tweets to their stream channel.

I tried about 20-30 times and got frustrated so left it.

Veteran
    Maybe you missed this Varsh:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406198703.977165.jpg

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I think I missed that.

In that case I will write down a MASSIVE "what I think of The Crew" later on today. It's both good and bad.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Truly disappointed so far on this game, not going to lie. I expected DECENT racing, proper controls and such...
    I used a steering wheel but it kept being thrown left and right while I literally did NOTHING, barely touched my throttle and was trying to drive forward. I tried playing around with the settings but it kept $#@!ing up. Not going to lie, if it had settings (for the wheel) alike Dirt 3, I'd be instant-sold and would play for hours. The game was a little.. I don't know... It didn't really feel enjoyable to me to be honest... I can understand that this can be a big/decent thing, but only if done right. So far, in my eyes, Ubisoft has failed to deliver.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    To iterate on the above. With no controllers plugged in and just using the keyboard, the cars were like they were always constantly on 10% throttle, holding "brake" is rather odd as it puts the car into a burnout situation, so when you release the brake and floor the accelerator then the car just flies off. The game didn't recognise my gamepad for some reason and my wheel also behaved much like WaxWeazle's. The way I found to get around this was to lower the sensitivity but if you changed the deadzone then the game was unplayable with the wheel. The sensitivity cause the problem where - while it was great in small movements, it was too drastic after turning the wheel about 90 degrees in either direction.

Ah hell with it, while I'm at it I may as well post the whole of what I think of it.

The game itself feels like a cross between NFS Underground, TDU, NFS Most Wanted, and Burnout Paradise. With Most Wanted you could join anyone in a persistent world or try and take them out, but in The Crew you can make squads instead but also see other players drive around. In NFS Underground you get to drive to the area where there's missions and shops and then select what you want to do, the same in The Crew. You then have Burnout Paradise where the stunts you do gives you money and points, again the same with The Crew. TDU was an amazing game with great handling and you drove extremely long distances and The Crew does the same. All of this is the good thing about The Crew, it is also a bad thing too!

Here's the thing, The Crew is based in the entirety of the USA, the map is broken up into several areas where there's about 3 cities per area, these cities are very small and can be driven through in a very short time. You start the game near the top and when you get to Detroit I was thinking "I wonder how far long it will take me to travel from the Florida Keys to Seattle", basically the furthest points in the game from one another. Well to get from the very north to the south of the map took me about 30 minutes. Then from the Keys to Seattle it took me no longer than 70 minutes (about 97 miles total).

Granted the game has zero loading times and it's really nice to have such an open world but there is so little to do within it, it just feels far too void of doing anything but driving. Sure the traffic wherever you go is ridiculous (even in the countryside there's a traffic jam of cars) but in terms of what's to do, well think Assassin's Creed or even I guess NFS Underground. You have races, escaping police, slaloms, checkpoints, hitting things, and a few other things, not much at all and it's spread throughout the map. Are they trying to tell me that reiterating the same thing over and over will hold my attention? It'll just be one giant grind. All the vehicles on the road look the same too, the trucks are the same, there's about 6 different AI road cars too and all the same shade of grey, brown, green, and red.

There are some good things in the game though. The navigation system is very nicely done, you select your waypoint on the map and when driving around you get a blue ribbon pointing you in the correct direction hovering above you. Customising your car is also really nice including being able to customise them separately for different situations. Unfortunately there aren't that many vehicles to choose from (about 18 in total).

The biggest problem with the game though is that all vehicles I have tried so far feel "floaty", just turning in any direction will cause me to start skidding, no matter how sharp or slight the bend is. Staying in a straight line is nigh on impossible with a wheel though the keyboard did let you actually go dead straight but then turning made you lose control quite easily unless you had at least a 90 degree bend. There simply was no feel to the vehicles at all. At least they had a $#@!pit view so it was easier to drive.

Now the map I do like a lot but ugh, why oh why did they make it so that the cursor had to go to the edge of the screen before the map would move? It is extremely difficult to move around the map with the mouse, and with the keyboard and wheel's cursor it was the same thing and felt awkward.

While it may sound like I'm hating the game I am just trying to give as honest an opinion of the Beta so far. Would I recommend and purchase it? No, especially not in this state and I feel that the cities (which a lot of them could fit within Burnout Paradise's city alone) are too small, outside of the cities there's not much to do, and the controls are just horrendous. If you did like NFS Most Wanted then you probably will like this game though but after this Beta I know now for sure that I will 100% not purchase this game. It is fun but there's nothing in there that will keep my attention for more than 5 hours.

Oh and did I mention that the story is a typical cliché similar to the film NFS? Yeah exactly...

Veteran
    After commenting earlier I thought I would try again and after installing a patch I've been playing for the last hour or so.

I agree with what you say Varsh although can not comment on the wheel issue as I'm just using keyboard. Open world racers just really don't do it for me no more if this is the best the can come up with. The map is massive but it soon gets dull and boring IMO and I just started to use fast travel to most events. Maybe I'm too use to open world action games and I'm just wanting to get out the car and do some exploring

I know its beta and perhaps shouldn't comment too much on the graphics but I thought they were pretty poor too. I'm running 1920*1080 and ultra settings and this is definitely something that needs work before release. Sometimes it can look great, other times very very poor.

It's funny you mentioned NFS, I watched it last night

Thread Information