Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

30,000 Chinese people sealed off after man dies of bubonic plague

A Chinese city has been sealed off and 151 people have been placed in quarantine since last week after a man died of bubonic plague, state media said.The 30,000 residents of Yumen, in the north-western province of Gansu, are not being allowed to leave, and police at roadblocks on the perimeter of the city are telling motorists to find alternative routes, China Central Television (CCTV) said.
    A 38-year-old man died last Wednesday, the report said, after he had been in contact with a dead marmot, a small furry animal related to the squirrel. No further plague cases have been reported.
    CCTV said officials were not allowing anyone to leave. The China Daily newspaper said four quarantine sectors had been set up in the city.
    "The city has enough rice, flour and oil to supply all its residents for up to one month," CCTV added. "Local residents and those in quarantine are all in stable condition." No further cases have been reported.
    Bubonic plague is a bacterial infection best known for the Black Death, a virulent epidemic that killed tens of millions of people in 14th-century Europe. Primarily an animal illness, it is extremely rare in humans.
    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says modern antibiotics are effective in treating plague, but that without prompt treatment the disease can cause serious illness or death.
    mental, i didn't know it was still around

source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...c-plague-death

El Presidente
    This along with other diseases still exist to a limited extent I'm sure. Look at how polio sprung up in Syria a while back. Diseases everyone believed to be gone are not. Scary to think about.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Hundreds of millions of people have died from that crap. Fun times. Fortunately, it's not a big deal these days.
    "Courage is the key to life.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Can get it from cats. Burn all cats! Its true because I read it in the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aths-door.html

Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    This along with other diseases still exist to a limited extent I'm sure. Look at how polio sprung up in Syria a while back. Diseases everyone believed to be gone are not. Scary to think about.
    Yeah I think it was revealed 20 years ago or more that Soviet Russia kept samples of small pox to use as a biological weapon.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Yeah I think it was revealed 20 years ago or more that Soviet Russia kept samples of small pox to use as a biological weapon.
    And there are so many diseases that the CDC has too. Maybe the very last of some are in there but I think for many they are still out there. Dormant for a while but still out there.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Finally You Are Free
    A major reason why the bubonic plague was so deadly back in the 13th and 14th centuries was because of the disgusting living conditions of Europe. People literally dumped their $#@! and piss out onto the street. Rats scurried everywhere, carrying the disease and thus infecting the fleas that rode them. Many people thought it was punishment from god, or came as a result of bad smells (yes, really). They were ignorant and lived in filth. It's not surprising the disease killed 100+ million people.

The bubonic plague continued floating around Europe for another 500 years after it's highest epidemic, but advances in medicine and sanitation technology (and, frankly, the fact the poor and sick died off already...) made it more difficult to spread, to the point it eventually recessed out of Europe and is typically only found in animals, on islands, near the equator. Even today's poor regions are steps above Europe's old poverty conditions in regards to health.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    So has the United States, and probably a few other leading nations as well. It's a terrifying thought that if a country was ever in a dire situation it would release a potent, evolved strain into it's enemy's population. The number of civilian deaths would be untold.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Knew it was still around you just don't hear about cases that often as it's a pretty rare occurrence nowadays!

!!!!!!!!!!!!QUICK IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Rats and fleas, for the win.
    "Courage is the key to life.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    See, now that's efficiency. Close down a whole area until you isolate the virus, kill it and make it safe again for people to live there without the threat of it spreading to further areas.

And other old diseases are back too. Measles came back hard thanks to the anti-vaxxers. I wonder what else they'll bring back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    See, now that's efficiency. Close down a whole area until you isolate the virus, kill it and make it safe again for people to live there without the threat of it spreading to further areas.

And other old diseases are back too. Measles came back hard thanks to the anti-vaxxers. I wonder what else they'll bring back.
    Anti v..wat? You mean open borders.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation

Thread Information