Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
Windows 8 supports DX9, definitely. That's half the point of a standardized API like that. I'm not sure why you're having issues.

Then again, it is Windows 8... Microsoft's stunted, retarded child. :T
I'm also thinking it was Windows 8 because i didn't have much of issues with Windows 7. though i do remember different windows having certain errors, some were easy to fix, some weren't...some were a simple fix with the comptability button in the properties.

Let me preface this by saying that you're totally correct and that I agree.

But - and this is a big, juicy butt - they don't. These developers do not push the envelope like they should with the money they pull in. That flow of cash is what incentives them to remain as they are and continue appealing towards what sells. It does offer them that budget to really make something creative and epic but it's really rare to see that among mainstream gaming. It's a sort of stagnation.

Compare that with the indie scene, which thrives most on PC, and you do see an abundance of creative gameplay and emergent themes being birthed and developing constantly as time goes on. That does however make it a tough market to truly thrive in, but it's also offering an ample selection for the gamers to choose from by keeping these developers on their toes.
ok since you are going into detail here, i'd have to go away from exclusives. while i agree with what you're saying. there's only so much these indies can provide. as a whole they are amazing, great and i'd argue as good as the flow of bigger titles. so just talking about the sort of games that'd keep you satisfied as a gamer, i can agree that the both do half and half. you can't live without the other.

but speaking of influence, PC wouldn't be getting many multiplats if consoles were to disappear today...they get it because they already made the game on consoles and it's really easy to put it out on PC afterwards...wouldn't be surprised that some games start out on PC and then put out on consoles...but they know that consoles are the bread winners.

at the same time, if there were no consoles, i wouldn't be surprised that some of those developers went back to PC to make games, i'll agree there...but it would be a lot less than what it is right now.

but yes, in no way i'm saying that indies aren't important, i'm a big advocate for indies. my point only is that the reason why we have an industry right now because of a few companies and a few games they put out. truly but sadly.

if you take out Halo, GT, COD, BF and a few others, you'll see a drastic reduction in sales of games/consoles. i mean, they are the pillars of the console industry. and console industry is generating more revenue than the PC industry, i'd think, maybe not in indies but bigger titles.

i also agree that revenues (and hopefully profits) do not necessarily mean that they will invest all of it (which i didn't say) but that it has little effect...from what i understand. i disagree. i think while it may not matter with more average titles. the pattern is that if the previous game did well, you see a bigger sequel. this is very evident with the big selling titles that have a lot of publisher support.

GTA 5 would not be nearly the same game it is if they didn't know they were going to make billions with it. they wouldn't support it the way they have been. they wouldn't care to work on the next-gen versions, to the point they have worked, to make it fairly better-looking...if they didn't forecast that they might be making, maybe, who knows, 10-15m more copies. i woudln't be surprised. at least 5m each console.

yes, not all developers will do this, only a few but it still happens. profits are the reason multiplat games on consoles (that are designed for consoles) continue to be made. it goes back to what i was saying earlier, PC is more like a secondary option. then there are PC exclusives but we already covered that.

summary of it all is that profits more or less do motivate developers to take larger risks.