Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    When Americans say "I-raq", or "Errb", in place of "Iraq" and "herb".

In fact i can extend that to the new age BS of shortening entire sentences. "TGIF" is the only one i can remember due to it being blasted on the radio, but if i need to pick up a freaking glossary (not dictionary) to understand what the hell you're saying, you're doing English wrong......
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    don't get me started on americans and english lol but i find american english more natural than ones from other countries. though some (sophisticated) accents from britain and aussie are sexy.

Superior Member
    People who suddenly get the urge to get out of their seat on a plane when the seat belt sign has been lit due to turbulence!

I recall a particular time flying home from a trip to L.A., the bloke in front of me decided he was going to look in the over head compartment for something the moment the seat belt light came on. His expensive looking camera fell out and headed straight for my face. I managed to knock it out of the way and it ended up rolling down the back of the plane.

The idiot wasn't happy, I was expecting a fight, but the flight attendant had a right go at him before anything happened! I chuckled!!

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    People who suddenly get the urge to get out of their seat on a plane when the seat belt sign has been lit due to turbulence!

I recall a particular time flying home from a trip to L.A., the bloke in front of me decided he was going to look in the over head compartment for something the moment the seat belt light came on. His expensive looking camera fell out and headed straight for my face. I managed to knock it out of the way and it ended up rolling down the back of the plane.

The idiot wasn't happy, I was expecting a fight, but the flight attendant had a right go at him before anything happened! I chuckled!!
    Sounds like karma was quick to react on that one haha

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    don't get me started on americans and english lol but i find american english more natural than ones from other countries. though some (sophisticated) accents from britain and aussie are sexy.
    I blame social media on the rampant illiteracy in this country.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    People who write 'bae' instead of babe or baby. WTF is up with that? Too $#@!ing lazy to type another B? It doesn't even sound good. It's horrible. $#@! off with that.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    People who write 'bae' instead of babe or baby. WTF is up with that? Too $#@!ing lazy to type another B? It doesn't even sound good. It's horrible. $#@! off with that.

it is annoying haha, apparently it stands for 'Before Anyone Else'

People that walk really slow do my head in!

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro1_231 using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    texting started it Twitter finished it off.
    "M8 u comin 2 pub 2nite"

Friendship is Carrots
    The worst kind of short-type is when the short variant they use has the same amount of characters as the actual word. Please die.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

10. Likes Fijiandoce, PS4freak likes this post
    Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    People who sue for stupid reasons, such as one just recently where a widow from America got paid out millions because her husband died of cancer due to MANY years of chain smoking and because there was no warning on the packs back then! I mean come on people everyone knows smoking is bad for you especially if you chain smoke, just like jumping in front of a train or swallowing 1 litre of cyanide! Just does my head in that it's so easy to sue people for everything these days!

"Oh I think I am going to go and shoot myself in the head, die and then sue Remington because they didn't have a warning on A GUN BEING DANGEROUS!!!!!"

PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Truthfully, literacy is at an all time high due to social media. People read and write a lot more, that includes the less skillful ones.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    U mad, bae??

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Forum Overseer
    oh i don't mean the people but yeah, people using english improperly has risen since social media started (likely due to typing on the phones). i'm just talking about english in general.

i wish i could tell you off the top of my head but there are a lot of things in american english that are changed for i don't know what reason. i was just looking up some differences and realized one of them that i can't understand. it's petrol vs gas. why is it called gas? it's petrol!

just stuff like that. also some grammar is also dissolved down, simplified in american english. i don't remember much of it but when i first came to america, i noticed these things right away. we didn't know what slang was...but slang did help people speak and learn english faster.

which is why you'll notice that almost all immigrants that come here and have a thick accent or have difficulty speaking english, they tend to speak in slang. which makes the whole situation even more comical.

Elite Sage

'Do you know what really grinds my gears?'-topic

Yeah I've never understood why Americans call it has when it clearly is a liquid. Or why Americans put the date in the wrong format. Day. Month. Year. Not month day year. Arghh!!

People who use a damn 12 hour clock. Grow up!

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Yeah I've never understood why Americans call it has when it clearly is a liquid. Or why Americans put the date in the wrong format. Day. Month. Year. Not month day year. Arghh!!

People who use a damn 12 hour clock. Grow up!
    "Yeah our arbitrary system is more correct than your arbitrary system!" lol
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Forum Overseer
    yes but i would agree with him because the day should go first, then the month then the year because there's clearly a mathematical pattern there.

hours minutes seconds etc.

Elite Sage
    But our system is better lol

Smallest to biggest makes sense. Medium, smallest then biggest that just looks silly. Either do it D/M/Y or Y/M/D.

Forum Overseer
    yeah, when i first came here, everything was kind of weird to me. why yards and not feet? why miles and not km when we already use meters...you know, it just makes more sense to keep things standard.

you know it's americans, they have to be different, like the romans.

Friendship is Carrots
    yes but i would agree with him because the day should go first, then the month then the year because there's clearly a mathematical pattern there.

hours minutes seconds etc.
    I'm saying it's not an issue either way. It's just annoying when people their their way is the 'correct' way. Why? There's nothing objective about it.

I prefer mm/dd/yyyy since that's what I'm used to, and it fits how I refer to dates: "It's August 14th, 2030." The months segment the year rather nicely, and when you read a date you know what general area the date is falling into first. I find it to be a superior allocation of the information because you're breaking down the data from larger sections into smaller ones. Honestly, dd/mm/yyyy seems backwards to me.

I would say the Japanese have it right (yyyy/mm/dd), but I argue that most date-related information is of recent relevance. You don't need to be reminded first and foremost at all times it's the year 2014.

But our system is better lol

Smallest to biggest makes sense. Medium, smallest then biggest that just looks silly. Either do it D/M/Y or Y/M/D.
    I don't see why that matters. We're not counting or building a pyramid. The scheme here is a completely different thing.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 07-31-2014 at 15:39.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Forum Overseer
    i can see what you mean there. i'm also used to it now and august 14 does sound/look better but i remember saying it like 14th of august before i migrated here.

so i guess it's just about being used to it, but it can't be denied that the way the rest of the world does it, it does have a pattern.

i believe that in the end, our world is built upon pattern, most things (if not everything) has a mathematical pattern in one way or another.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I was in hospital in the UK once and an american in the bed next to me was chatting to the doctors about how the american way is a much easier system by virtue of some BS he pulled out his backside.

Apparently it's much easier for referencing, because months were more important or something (it was highly illogical hence my not paying too much attention)

My PC files and backups are all stored in a reversed British way. YYYY/MM/DD simply so the OS orders them correctly. If i did it the reversed american way, i'd have 12 1st dates followed by their respective month, ditto for 12 2nd dates...a chronological nightmare!

Another thing that grinds my gears is when someone is giving me directions.....and they're doing it as if they're driving the car....you know, you're travelling down the middle lane surrounded by traffic, and 50m before a turnoff you hear "you get off here"....

EDIT:
    Just saw Raptures post, seems i store my files the Japanese way then xD
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 07-31-2014 at 16:06.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Sage
    The 31st day of July sounds better than July's 31st Day.

I'm an awful passenger. I assume everyone knows where I'm going.

"Uh, Dude... You just missed the turning. Sorry, I thought you knew"

Forum Overseer
    lol yeah i'm bad at giving or taking directions.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    In England Metre is the unit of measurement e.g 345 metres.

Meter is something used to measure the measurement.
    Gas meter
    Electric meter
    pedometer (no it doesnt measure the amount of paedophiles)
    speedometer
    odometer

There is an obvious difference due to the spelling.

The 31st day of July sounds better than July's 31st Day.

I'm an awful passenger. I assume everyone knows where I'm going.

"Uh, Dude... You just missed the turning. Sorry, I thought you knew"

More like bad driver.
    Its not hard to navigate and drive, Pisses me off when the driver gets angry at the passenger for not telling the way they should driver their car.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-31-2014 at 16:21.

Forum Overseer
    oh right, i didn't pay attention to that. i guess it makes sense, i never use these words here lol. but metres are used in some places here.

El Presidente
    oh i don't mean the people but yeah, people using english improperly has risen since social media started (likely due to typing on the phones). i'm just talking about english in general.

i wish i could tell you off the top of my head but there are a lot of things in american english that are changed for i don't know what reason. i was just looking up some differences and realized one of them that i can't understand. it's petrol vs gas. why is it called gas? it's petrol!

just stuff like that. also some grammar is also dissolved down, simplified in american english. i don't remember much of it but when i first came to america, i noticed these things right away. we didn't know what slang was...but slang did help people speak and learn english faster.

which is why you'll notice that almost all immigrants that come here and have a thick accent or have difficulty speaking english, they tend to speak in slang. which makes the whole situation even more comical.
    I'm a victim of my environment ok!? That's how that taught me to speak or else I get slapped with a ruler and sent to the closet again...

People from other countries who think they're right about everything and the rest of the world, especially America does everything the wrong way.....

Those people who modify their own cars that shouldn't. I don't care what paint job you have, how big the spoiler is or what tires and rims to put on that's not a sport/racing car. It's a Prius. Please stop. You're NOT cool.

People who modify their trucks with obnoxiously large suspension and tires. Why are you driving a monster truck on the road? Oh because you're a big tough manly man right?
    Last edited by podsaurus; 07-31-2014 at 16:28.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Thread Information