I'm Having Connection Problems...

Hello, for the past 2 weeks I've been having connection issues which pretty much prohibits me from playing online lag-free. Prior to this issue I usually have 8-10 mpbs download and 3-5 mbps upload and online ran smooth for me. Now I have 2-5 mbps download and less than 1 mbps upload. I unplugged my router multiple times and when I reconnected it I still had those results. I don't know what to do since I don't know what the problem is. Can anyone suggest any solutions? Thanks in advance.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3649796487.png

I listed my speed test result above.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Call your ISP.

Have you added your console to your port list?

Also how is 66 down bad?
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Call your ISP.

Have you added your console to your port list?

Also how is 66 down bad?
    I didn't call my ISP yet (I think they will charge me if they connect me to the gaming tech)

What do you mean by port list?

And you last line is apart of my question; if my speed test is fine how come I have abysmal upload/download on my console? I can't even sign into TLOU MP..

Administrator
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Ahh Ok I read the links you gave me. I'm not even sure if my port is open for my ps3. This looks incredibly hard to do step by step by I'll let you know if anything succeeds. Thanks!

I checked my UPNP and it says it's available so I don't think my port is blocked.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Are you going wireless or wired? I've never been too fond of the PS3's wireless, it almost always gives me problems. Just booting up a game that needs to access servers (like EA Sports games, for example) could take a couple minutes.

Wired I have roughly 25Mbps down and 1.3Mbps up, which is actually better than my wired desktop. Wireless, with the router 4 feet away, the max down I've gotten is 15Mbps.

There are other times, though, where wireless will work fine. If you're wireless I'd say to see if you can go wired (I have a 100ft ethernet cable from Monoprice for $20 that runs through the attic to another room). If wired, I'm not sure what to suggest, especially if other devices are running with decent speeds. Maybe try changing the DNS (Google is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 while OpenDNS is 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). I've had that fix speed issues on my desktop before.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by say_what View Post
    I checked my UPNP and it says it's available so I don't think my port is blocked.
    UPNP (universal plug and play) is only for devices connected as a headset for example you will need a NAT Type 2, look on the net to see how to configure your router to a NAT Type 2
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Administrator
    Yeah forgot to ask ... are you connected directly to your PS3 from your modem or are you using wifi? Like ttech10 said, the PS3 wireless leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah forgot to ask ... are you connected directly to your PS3 from your modem or are you using wifi? Like ttech10 said, the PS3 wireless leaves a lot to be desired.
    Im using wireless connection

Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    Are you going wireless or wired? I've never been too fond of the PS3's wireless, it almost always gives me problems. Just booting up a game that needs to access servers (like EA Sports games, for example) could take a couple minutes.

Wired I have roughly 25Mbps down and 1.3Mbps up, which is actually better than my wired desktop. Wireless, with the router 4 feet away, the max down I've gotten is 15Mbps.

There are other times, though, where wireless will work fine. If you're wireless I'd say to see if you can go wired (I have a 100ft ethernet cable from Monoprice for $20 that runs through the attic to another room). If wired, I'm not sure what to suggest, especially if other devices are running with decent speeds. Maybe try changing the DNS (Google is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 while OpenDNS is 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). I've had that fix speed issues on my desktop before.
    So do I have to change the DNS on my computer and PS3 or just the PS3 (for it to work properly)? Thanks for the help.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by say_what View Post
    So do I have to change the DNS on my computer and PS3 or just the PS3 (for it to work properly)? Thanks for the help.
    Only on the PS3. And it's not a guaranteed method, but I've found it can sometimes remedy a situation, at least for a short time.

The PS3 wireless is wacky. Some stuff fixes speeds for people and other times it does nothing. There are dozens of "fixes" for it and they work, work occasionally or temporarily or simply not work at all. Changing the channel frequency, the DNS settings, port range forwarding and changing wireless security settings are all ones of tried and none have given a solid, permanent fix. Even disabling the media server connection has been shown to help some and not help others.

One of the first things I would do when it started acting up is backup my router settings and do a complete reset of it via the little button in the back. Then I would connect the PS3 so it and see what speeds I got back. I don't know how many times I temporarily ran with just MAC address filtering because setting up a password would cause speed issues.

Hope you get it working right again, I know how frustrating it can be when the speeds are fine one day and then off the next.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Try those wired home plug kits or the much cheaper option using a long ethernet cable.

Administrator
    Any progress, say?

Thread Information